GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

First time buyer for GL450

Old 07-25-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi A6
First time buyer for GL450

Hello Guys,

I am first time in market browsing for a SUV. I currently own a Audi A6 Sedan.

I am inclined towards pre-owned/CPO Mercedes GL (2013 - 2014 model). My budget is around 50-55k and there are many options in my area when i check on autotrader. Since its my first time in Mercedes world, i need suggestions/feedback from experienced members who have driven these vehicles. I have my wife and 2 kids under age of 5.

Q1) Any issues/concerns to be aware of?

Q2) There are some dealers in our area who are not Mercedes dealer but they have a very good inventory of used cars, pricing and miles on car than Mercedes dealer and good rating on yelp. Is it a good idea to buy a Mercedes from a non Mercedes dealer?

Q3) Is there difference between premium 1 and 2 package?

Q4) I saw that 2015 GL is V6 and has improved gas mileage, but they go over my budget. Is there a significant gas mileage improvement from 2014 to 2015 models? Any other major improvements for 2015 models?

Thanks and sorry for asking too many questions. Will appreciate the reply.
The following users liked this post:
ztahokie (08-29-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL350
Originally Posted by spencer1
Hello Guys,

I am inclined towards pre-owned/CPO Mercedes GL (2013 - 2014 model). My budget is around 50-55k and there are many options in my area when i check on autotrader. Since its my first time in Mercedes world, i need suggestions/feedback from experienced members who have driven these vehicles. I have my wife and 2 kids under age of 5.

Q2) There are some dealers in our area who are not Mercedes dealer but they have a very good inventory of used cars, pricing and miles on car than Mercedes dealer and good rating on yelp. Is it a good idea to buy a Mercedes from a non Mercedes dealer?

Q4) I saw that 2015 GL is V6 and has improved gas mileage, but they go over my budget. Is there a significant gas mileage improvement from 2014 to 2015 models? Any other major improvements for 2015 models?

I owned a 2008 ML320 CDI since 2010 and recently traded in on a new 2015 GL350 Bluetec, mainly for the 3rd row seating (growing family like yourself) and the warranty. Essentially, we had 160k miles on our ML and at a point where we didn't feel like holding it any longer at risk of needing new injectors, transmission or some other incredibly expensive repairs.

Overall, I have been very happy with Mercedes.

The Pros:
They always provide a loaner car when we drop it off for service.
My old neighbor happens to be the parts manager for our local dealer and gave us a 15% off parts and labor deal on both vehicles.
With the exception of 1 alternator that died after being replaced, the MB service from our dealer has been excellent. We actually have a very good import repair shop that specializes in all German vehicles nearby, but we have come to trust and appreciate the dealership to the point that we have never wanted to take it somewhere else.
Even at 8 years old, our ML320 was still very comfortable and fun to drive.

The Cons:
Plan on above average maintenance costs. For comparison, I also own a gen 1 4runner and a 1999 7.3 F350 super duty, and even though I don't put nearly as many miles on either, parts and maintenance costs are vastly cheaper than maintaining a luxury import like a GL / ML.
There is so much tech in these cars, you are almost guaranteed to have annoying and expensive equipment failures more frequently. For example, in our ML, the CD player jammed, the Ipod cable broke, we had some other weird fuel system error that put the car in limp mode.
As far as major maintenance or recall items, there is nothing that jumps out, though there are a few videos on this forum with people seeing some rev limiting glitch where the car stops accelerating.
It seems like they chew through brakes and tires a little more frequently. I can't think of anything outside wheel bearings, a rear coil snapped, alternator died, steering linkage u joint locked up which made if feel like the power steering was out, glow plugs and a handful of other issues but nothing major with the motor or drivetrain. One time our rear hatch wouldn't open because of a failed motor.

So after 8 years of ownership, we were confident we were making a good decision going back for a newer vehicle. I don't know for sure, but I my preference would to be to shop at a MB dealer. I think they would do a better job turning around a used Mercedes than another company and I believe this would be the only way to get an extended warranty buying used. But again, not entirely sure. Hope this helps.

Last edited by primus; 07-25-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:44 PM

Audi A6
Thanks primus for a detailed reply. I am also inclined towards Mercedes dealer but when I called the non-Mercedes dealer he mentioned that they give same extended warranty as Mercedes and all the repairs/issues of they happen will be performed at a Mercedes dealer. So that's why exploring options and checking if others have done so.

I have Audi A6 and its service/maintenance cost should be more or less close to Mercedes. I take it to Audi dealer for service. Just wanted to see what others are experiencing while driving a GL and mostly I have read positive reviews.

Once again thank for the reply.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 Evo X GSR & 2014 GL550 & 2012 A6 3.0T
I just purchased a pre-owned GL 2 weeks back and here are a few things to note, based on my experience:

1) Most of the stock at non Mercedes dealers, you need to careful with the carfax. If they are listed to be rental/corporate/accident, you will not be able to purchase any extended warranty on the vehicle.

2) If you find a clean GL at a non Mercedes dealer still under factory warranty, you can buy an extended warranty. But approaching your local Mercedes Sales/Finance for this, it is possible they will treat you in a cold manner (speaking from experience). This is simply because you did not buy the vehicle from them. When I went in to buy a pre-paid maintenance package, the finance rep at my local dealership went as far as to note that my extended warranty (purchased at another Mercedes dealership) had a 90% chance to be cancelled simply because I did not buy the vehicle from a Mercedes dealership. Needless to say, I did not give him any of my business. Obviously, I am inclined to think that not all dealerships will treat customers like this.

3) Calling in to corporate customer service or local dealer, almost everyone's first questions are: a) Did you buy it at our dealership? b) Did you buy it at a different Mercedes dealership? If your answer is "no" to both these questions, its possible you will receive less than stellar service, just as I did.

4) The service dept could care less. In most cases, they will treat you well regardless of where you bought it as long as they are getting paid. I had a very good experience with them at my local dealership.

Most GLs that are still under factory warranty are quickly picked up by Mercedes dealerships for offering as CPO. At-least that was my observation. It is rare to see CPO worthy GLs being offered as non CPO.

PS: Some of this may be misinformation. But most of it is just a description of my experiences and observations. Feel free to form your own conclusions based on input from everyone.

Last edited by 4everalone; 07-26-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by spencer1
Hello Guys,

Most issues I noticed in my research on the X166 seemed to do with Diesels or 2013 models. However, I did not see any serious complaints in my 2 months of research worthy of mention. 90% of them could be classified as "petty" in my opinion. "Major" would be Drivetrain issues and those I did not see any worthy of concern.

See my previous response for this.

Premium 2 adds soft close doors and Harman Kardon logic 7 sound system over Premium 1 from what I remember. Some vehicle will have Premium 1 and then the other two options listed discreetly. In other words, just because a vehicle has Premium 1 does not mean the Premium 2 upgrades are not there on that vehicle.

The M278 in 2013 and 2014 GL450 has been around a fair bit longer than the X166 has. Considering it was not on its maiden year in 2013 and that you do not see any engine problems posted online, its safe to say they are quite reliable. You don't see many problems with them on other Mercedes vehicles either. All I saw in my research were one-off cases, and Mercedes backed them up pretty well in all those cases. The Mercedes Engine warranty, in the event you had to get work done, is pretty sweet too.

Please see my responses above.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:54 PM

Audi A6
Thanks 4everalone for a detailed reply. This was useful information and i will keep these things in mind when i am about to make my purchase.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:55 PM

I forgot to mention but there are some other general differences from one model year to another for the GL-class.

2013: M278 engine on GL450 and 550, panoramic roof on all 3 rows, 3rd row has no sunshade whatsoever. You will need to tint/put a manual shade in.

2014: M278 Engine on GL450 and 550, panoramic roof on all 3 rows, 3rd row has manual sunshade that clips on/off. It cannot be controlled by the button. Cupholders in front are heated/cooled standard from this year onwards.

2015: M276 V6 Biturbo engine on the GL450, pano roof on only 1st and 2nd rows from this year onwards. M278 only on GL550 from this year onwards.

I'm sure there are other differences, but this is all that comes to mind right now. There is a brake disc change from drilled to plain face that also happened somewhere along the way.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:47 AM

Audi A6
Thanks 4everalone!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:48 PM

2015 GL350
One other thing.

The more I research and read on the web about the GL specifically, people really seem to have a very hot / cold opinion of them. They either love it and wouldn't drive anything else or it is straight from the devil and the worst car they have ever owned.

Reading between the lines here, it seems like many people get upset with the reliability / service they receive directly from MB, which obviously will vary dealer to dealer. Just one observation I had recently.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:29 AM

Audi A6
Originally Posted by primus
One other thing.

The more I research and read on the web about the GL specifically, people really seem to have a very hot / cold opinion of them. They either love it and wouldn't drive anything else or it is straight from the devil and the worst car they have ever owned.

Reading between the lines here, it seems like many people get upset with the reliability / service they receive directly from MB, which obviously will vary dealer to dealer. Just one observation I had recently.
That tends to be true for any car you buy. People have mixed reactions to all cars/models and those who get flawless service and good car are always happy than who don't.

The reason i am picking GL is because of the name "Mercedes", I had couple of other options to explore as well - Escalade, QX56, Denali etc But because of there bulky size and GLs moderately smaller size and good reviews on net tend me to incline towards it. Also i like the shape of it.

More or less i have read positive reviews about GLs and people are happy with it. I will give it a shot in future and hopefully won't repent it

Thanks for your input though!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:36 AM

To be clear, I am very happy with the vehicle itself. Its the cold reception I got from MB dealer (not service) and MB Corporate that I did not appreciate/anticipate at all. Basically, if you can buy a CPO vehicle in your budget that you like, that is what you should do if you want nothing short of an amazing service.

In my case, buying a non-CPO and then extending the warranty on my own saved me several thousands.....at the cost of service quality from a few wings of Mercedes. In my opinion, it was a fair trade since the service dept experience is all I care about and it was nothing short of stellar.

PS: if you have not driven the QX56/80 yet, don't even bother if the 3rd row is in anyway important to you. We test drove a 2013 and its really cramped in there. I could not believe how much more roomy the GL felt, considering it looks so much smaller on the outside than the QX.

Last edited by 4everalone; 07-28-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:30 PM

Audi A6
Thanks 4everalone for the reply. Yes i will see during the time of buying how much difference is between CPO and NonCPO with buying extended warranty later. But the thread gave a lot of insight into what to expect while buying
Old 07-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
Sharing my experience here with a 2013 GL450 CPO.

Please make sure to check if you have the switch the switch for the 3rd row quarter panel windows to open/close. the switch should be below the switch to the lift gate.
I read that it is standard on x166 with Pano roof but optional w/o the Pano roof.

Steering wheel vibration between 65-75 mph. This is common w/ the 20" scorpion tires but not with the 19". If you get the 20", suggest a test drive at high speed. I still have not been able to rectify this after getting all 4 wheels balanced. Sometimes i feel it, sometimes i don't or i've just gotten used to it.

360 degree camera is a must. I like being able to see around me, makes it very easy to park and get out.

Does not come with a cargo net and no way to attach a vertical one.

Overall, I love my GL. It is fast and i have to drive with a feather-foot at times. The acceleration and engine noise is fantastic. I considered used Lexus LX and LR LR4 and nothing else gives you the performance, size and brand recognition, IMHO for a reasonable price.

Good luck.

Does not come with a shade for 3rd row roof glass - but this may not bother you depending on where you live. This bothers me and I'll be fabricating my own to use during the summer time. Perhaps you can get the dealer to throw in a shade as part of your deal.

I have the sidewindow manual shades for the 2nd row and like them. They are very cool, but it does look like it will come out of track if a child pulls it very hard.

The 2nd row seats are cheap looking for a $70k vehicle. You can literally see the spring underneath the seat belt lock.

If you need a trailer hitch to trail an actual trailer/boat something to uses the brake light, suggest you get a GL that came with a hitch from the factory.

Just because something is CPO, does not mean it is CPO quality. Please check everything prior to purchase. Dealers have been known to take short cuts.

Last edited by maneesh; 07-28-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:09 PM

Maneesh brings up a good point.

Just because something is CPO, does not mean it is CPO quality. Please check everything prior to purchase. Dealers have been known to take short cuts.

In our quest, we found one CPO GL550 at a nearby dealership in Wilmington that was so horrible, my wife just flat out refused to get into the car. It had the beige interior, stained beyond belief, seat belts were dirty, juice stains on the floor carpet, broken wood trim pieces on both front doors, broken A/C Vent. How this vehicle was worthy of the CPO title was beyond me. This dealer basically decided to slap on a CPO title without making it CPO quality. All other CPO vehicles I saw were immaculate.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:21 PM

Audi A6
Thanks maneesh and 4everalone for your input.

Yes, that is on my list to make sure that the car is clean and upto standards even if it is a CPO. That's what i did with my Audi as well, even it was a CPO there were few minor things which i pointed out and it was fixed.

My main purpose of thread was to make sure how people feel with their used GLs as i never owned a SUV before and the conclusion i made it that its the lack of A1 service/cold attitude of dealers that put people off. But looks like no other issues besides that.

We have 4 Mercedes dealers in our area and yelp is really helpful, where people have posted reviews as how there deal and after sale service went. So i am reading those carefully as well.

But overall looks like everyone is happy driving their GL

Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:21 PM

2014 GL 450
I had a 2007 GL450 and loved it! As the miles started piling on, I traded it in on a 2011 E350 Coupe (what a fun car to drive!). However, I really missed my SUV, so about a year ago, I traded the E on a 2014 GL450. I bought it as a CPO from a Mercedes dealership. I've had a couple of issues (a/c vent wasn't working, heated/cooled cup holder stopped cooling, and a trim issue on the front left fender). Each time, my dealership was very nice with fixing everything under warranty even though I didn't buy the car from them.

The GL450 has the power and comfort that I really enjoy. I can haul my dogs (2 Labradors) and if needed, can pull either our 1961 Silver Streak trailer or our 2003 Fleetwood Pioneer trailer.