GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Winter Tires 2016 - PSA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 12:27 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
Winter Tires 2016 - PSA

With holiday weekend tire sales, I thought I would start my research. Looks like the usual few options -- but for a new one.

My car has 20's with Pirellis I'll use 3 seasons, but I also own a spare set of ML W166 takeoff 19's for dedicated winter use.

In 19", using the stock 275 55 19 sizing rather than any minus 0 (narrower tread with taller sidewall) tricks, I see a new option that seems great for those of us in metro snow belt areas where roads get plowed fairly well. In that scenario myself, I don't want to trade off all aspects of dry road prowess for snow and ice survival. Stopping well on cleared roads still matters to me in winter since the roads here mostly dry quickly after an event with all the traffic tire heat, etc. We get the odd warm weather spell, and some winter compounds and designs perform less well with rain. Winter compounds do less well generally in warmer temps compared to "3 season/all season" tires, as test show. Yet, there's still the black ice and unpredictability of winter storms that make me prepare by always using dedicated winter shoes ... even on my Miata! For those who question me on winter tires, I always ask if they walk around in loafers or sneakers during winter weather events or if they rush to put on on some secure feeling, grippy boots.

New option: Toyo Celsius CUV that meets and carries the ASTM's Mountain Snowflake winter rating yet offers all-year capability. Like a Nokian WRG3 with an "all year" rating, yet carrying the same certification for winter use as winter-only tires (X-ice or Scorpion Ice).

https://www.treaddepot.com/#!product...Fitment/128190
275 55 19 shown here from one vendor.
I see others with free hazard policies, free shipping, sales and cheaper cost so shop around. Tires easy or tires direct are two, plus Belle is a big Toyo dealer by here.

http://www.tractionnews.com/toyo-nok...-weather-test/
Summary of a test by Consumer Reports late 2015, FWIW.

I have no affiliation with any of these brands/entities, by the way.

Once I got a set of studless winters with no performance characteristic, just a winter rating, figuring that would suffice. They ruined that car's personality so badly that I sold them at a loss after a week. Replacing them with a performance winter tire did the trick, steering feel and handling precision returned after I exorcised the serious tread squirm and I never missed the absolute extreme of winter performance - like I said, the roads get treated quickly enough here, not like with some of you who climb mountains during winter, etc.
I remember a set of Toyo highway tread all season something or other I bought for our LR3, with for the car's drivetrain and weight they managed snow but did poorly on ice/slick conditions. Otherwise, that was my second Toyo replacement set on different cars and they each balanced well and seemed of decent quality despite not commonly seen as an OEM installation.
I'm also fairly sensitive to tires and other dynamic changes, so I'll post a review if I end up getting these and mount them come mid-late November.
YMMV, just saying, etc.

Last edited by mustbebenz; 09-06-2016 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Price
Old 09-07-2016, 02:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 Evo X GSR & 2014 GL550 & 2012 A6 3.0T
A point to note, these tires seem to be SL rated and not XL, meaning a softer sidewall. I would expect some tire "squishiness" or "squirminess" in the rear when towing. Otherwise, specs seem reasonably good.