GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Rented GLS 450 vs our GL350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5
Rented GLS 450 vs our GL350

I got lucky at Avis when they ran out of large SUVs and only had a GLS450 with a 9/16 build date. Of course we took it.
One of the very first things we noticed is that it has no options. 18 wheels, halogen lights, no leather, no cooled seats, no 2nd row Ac etc.
Ours is equipped with the optional adjustable suspension with a comfort and sport mode. My wife loves the comfort setting and I sometimes like the sport setting. I always felt like a third setting between the two would be perfect. Well this GLS is just that a compromise between the two setting. NOTE to Mercedes. Make the adjustable suspension more adjustable. At least three options.
Engine. We love our diesel but we've never driven any of the v8s. We find that the diesel hums along at highways speeds and never seems to feels overworked or stressed. The same can't be said with the v6 gas turbo. At highway speeds when in 8th gear and the torque converter locks the engine seems to emit a low pitched hum. The kids were the first to notice it on a 3 hour drive across alligator alley. I tried adjusting speed but the only way to eliminate the noise was to drop the transmission into 6th or 7th gear and raise the rpms. Obviously this isn't a fix. We just found it annoying compared to the diesel.
MPG. On a 3 hour trip averaging about 70 mph the gasoline managed about 21 mpg. Our diesel easily returns 30 mpg on long trips. We felt the diesel a better fit for the truck.
Lights. The halogen headlights suck compared to the HIDs.
We love our cooled seats. Even in NY we get a lot of use out of them. In FL it would be top on my list.
The start stop feature is really annoying and I feel adds to the feel of turbo lag since the trucks feels much smoother from a light when the system is shut off. Starting in 2nd gear also made the truck feel lethargic. We had to switch to sport mode to force the transmission to 1st gear at lights.
Overall the GLS is a great SUV but we were pleasantly surprised how we still love our GL350 after a week in a new GLS450.

Last edited by arich; 12-31-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I bought 2017 GLS450 this summer still having my 15GL350. It took me 1 day to realize that 350 is much better. 450 has been sold in 3 days even with some profit