GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GLE450 AMG coupe Hatchback door controls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLE 450 AMG coupe, 2015, C300 sedan
Exclamation GLE450 AMG coupe Hatchback door controls

Learned a valuable lesson yesterday about the two buttons on the GLE coupe. There are two buttons on the hatchback door that control it's operation. The left hand button closes the door. The right hand button (with the lock icon) closes the door and locks the car. If you push this button, it overrides the car's key fob location function and locks the car even if the key fob is INSIDE the car.

I found this out twice yesterday. The first time I was sitting in the driver's seat and my wife pushed the close and lock button. The car locked and disabled all functions including the ignition. To enable control of the car, I had to unlock it with my key fob.
Later on, I got out of the car and used the close and lock button. I had forgotten that my key fob was in the cup holder after I had picked it up from the valet. The car locked itself after the door closed with the key fob inside. I had to use my wife's fob to unlock it. I also could have used the MercedesMe app.

So beware, you CAN lock your keys inside of your car using the close and lock button. This is really a poorly designed feature and Mercedes should consider it a defect and correct it.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Update: just tested it. With the key in the car on the driver seat, pressing the lock button on the hatch didn't do anything. As in nothing happens. I was mistaken thinking it would beep. Next, I carried the 2nd key with me and try again. Nothing happened again. But I could see it happening. Perhaps the battery was low or it lost signal momentarily. In my previous car which I drove for 8 years, I got locked out once. I press the lock button on the handle and it locked the door despite key fob being in the car.

Maybe this is for your GLE. On the 2014 GL450, I've left the key inside the car unknowingly and pushed the close&lock button on the hatch, and it knows the key is still in the car and does not lock it. In fact, the one time I did this, I believe the hatch didn't even lower itself. Instead I was presented with several beeps. Could be mistaken, but I'll try it out to confirm.

You may want to check with the GLE forum instead of the GL X166 forum.

Edit: From the manual of the GL, pg 130 (this is from a 2007 GL manual):

To prevent a possible inadvertent lockout, the tailgate will open automatically if a SmartKey with KEYLESS-GO* is recognized inside the vehicle.

Last edited by jlim; 01-17-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 GLE 450 AMG coupe, 2015, C300 sedan
Mod: please move to correct forum

Please move this to the GLE forum.
Thanks!