GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Need help in deciding over a 2014 GL450, Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL550 & 2013 Mini Cooper
Need help in deciding over a 2014 GL450, Please!

Thank you in advance!

I am looking to purchase a 2014 GL 450 and am interested in the following one...
http://www.jiddmotors.com/2014-merce...450-c-3910.htm

It has 52k miles on it. Asking for $41,985

Some of the features that I wanted (which the listing has) are:
Rear seat entertainment
Surround camera
Parktronic (if it is what I think...)
Power easy entry
3 zone climate control
Keyless go

Can you please help me with my questions?

1. Can I get extended warranty from the dealer? How much does it cost..ballpark figure?
Update -- Just heard back from the dealer...the platinum plan from Compass costs $4995 for a 48 month, 100,000 mile plan.
2. What media formats can I play through the rear seat entertainment?
3. Is this vehicle wifi hotspot enabled?
4. It is only mentioned as 'Navigation'. Is that different from Navigation with voice control? Whats the difference?
5. Can you tell if it has lighting package from the pics?
6. How can I tell if it has an illuminated star or not, without going to the dealer?
7. What is a mirror package? I was not able to get that information online.
8. Is the price reasonable?

Last edited by vroooom; 01-23-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
My Two cents...

I recently purchased a '13 GL450 W4 with 39K miles still under factory warranty & CPO 1 year/unlimited miles. It was a private party sale & I had CPO transferred. Given the NON factory warranty cost offered by the non MB dealer; I would hold out for a CPO from an MB dealer or pp sale still under factory warranty (you may then extend through dealer). If you go ready to buy this coming weekend (month end) you are apt to get an excellent deal & they are also offering 2 years prepaid maintenance with all CPO purchases in Jan. Having owned an S550W4 out of warranty, it is not a fun experience even when you are quite knowledgable & technically saavy about the vehicle. Those are my thoughts, pm me if you want further details. Good luck either way!

Last edited by Boston; 01-23-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
vroooom (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/i...ge-51000,61000
based on a quick search of the MB CPO site, your price plus a reputable EW is in range. Our dealer showed us the internal invoice to make our ML350 CPO worthy. It was about $1,800. So you're in the ballpark. Good luck.
vroooom (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Boston
I recently purchased a '13 GL450 W4 with 39K miles still under factory warranty & CPO 1 year/unlimited miles. It was a private party sale & I had CPO transferred. Given the NON factory warranty cost offered by the non MB dealer; I would hold out for a CPO from an MB dealer or pp sale still under factory warranty (you may then extend through dealer). If you go ready to buy this coming weekend (month end) you are apt to get an excellent deal & they are also offering 2 years prepaid maintenance with all CPO purchases in Jan. Having owned an S550W4 out of warranty, it is not a fun experience even when you are quite knowledgable & technically saavy about the vehicle. Those are my thoughts, pm me if you want further details. Good luck either way!
How did you know about the 2 yr pre paid maintenance with all CPOs? Did they advertise it?

...and I have started to search CPOs (not many in the small city that I live - Madison, WI)....whats the diff between GL450 and GL450 4matic?
I thought all of them are 4matics.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by pjw1967
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/i...ge-51000,61000
based on a quick search of the MB CPO site, your price plus a reputable EW is in range. Our dealer showed us the internal invoice to make our ML350 CPO worthy. It was about $1,800. So you're in the ballpark. Good luck.
Most of the CPOs I am looking at do not have the rear seat entertainment
When I started my search, I definitely wanted that...but now it is making me think as I see most of them do not have them installed? Are they not worth the extra $$$s?

Noob question - what's EW?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by vroooom
Most of the CPOs I am looking at do not have the rear seat entertainment
When I started my search, I definitely wanted that...but now it is making me think as I see most of them do not have them installed? Are they not worth the extra $$$s?

Noob question - what's EW?
EW - Extended Warranty. You can try taking the VIN to a local MB dealer and ask them if they will run the MSRP info for you. Tell them you'll be taking it to them for service if you buy it. BTW if you look at the Carfax you can see that the car was serviced regularly by MB. Given the miles I would suspect that the original lessee put a lot of family miles on the car and needed visual anesthesia to keep the kiddos in line.
vroooom (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... to be helpful

Please understand if you are considering a GL450 - that you drive one and see what you like and/or what you don't like.

1) Always get a copy of the original window sticker - or a MB spec sheet to give you a accurate list of factory options on the particular vehicle

2) With the list of options at hand - and your zip code - check edmunds.com as a reputable 3rd party web site to get unbiased market value guide - in this specici case $41,887 is the edmunds Private Party sale value - with Dealer Retail (not MB Certified like around $44K).

3) Understand warranty - with 52K miles - the 4yrs/50K mile Mercedes new car warranty has expired - if buying non-certified from a non-MB dealer - you will be offered aftermarket warranties at add-on cost - if this was 52K miles Mercedes Certified you would have 1yr Unlimited Mileage Mercedes Certified Warranty which can be extended at additional cost for up to two additional years (total 3yrs).

4) Features - Yes, since you haven't driven/looked closely at a GL before - the options may appear new/unknown to you.

5) This GL is "well equipped" - and not necessarily :very well equipped" - I have attache the MB spec sheet to give you the full/accurate list of options it does have.

6) "CarFax Accident Free" - means there was never a insurance paid body repair - however understand minor (or even major) body repair if private paid does not appear on CarFax. Case in point here - the internal MB VMI does mention "twice" bumper trim and/or other misc body trim parts were ordered in it's past life - which means take a good look at both front and rear bumper.

7) Regularly Serviced - Yes, this GL had 30k/3yrs pre-paid service - AND attached VMI shows broken coolant "hose"/actually a pipe - which was replaced under warranty in addition to service.

8) Rear Seat Entertainment - is no longer the "must have" for parents or grandparents that it was 4-5-6 yrs ago. ALL children now have their own electronics - and watching a movie is not the big deal it used to be. Also - "most" aftermarket warranties will not cover rear entertainment - I say "most" don't. To the good there is 12V outlet and 110v outlet in the 2nd row to keep your grandkids plugged in - and a 12V outlet in the rear cargo area that can be used as 3rd row plugged in.

Since you are considering your 1st Mercedes - and a GL - I am trying to be helpful here - so that you know I don't normally pull spec sheets and/or VMI sheets for forum members at the drop of a hat..

All being equal - tires and brakes are key - no real dealer service records on those in it's history - no real "heavy black marks" - selling dealer got it in on trade at sharp/market price - if no other surprises as a non-Certified unit he has it priced fair-to-market.

Hope this helps - if you are planning long term hold - then there may be other options that are not on the list that this GL has - that may be options you feel you "must have" if you have time to be patient.

Keep the beat !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1. SPECS GL450.pdf (37.2 KB, 251 views)
2, VMI GL450.pdf (77.2 KB, 222 views)
vroooom (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Interestingly, fabbrisd1 spec sheet does not list the lightning package, but the OP's link to the seller states the following:

>>
AUTOMATIC HID HEADLIGHTS, DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
<<

fabbrisd1, without the bi-xenon lightning package, the x166 comes with only regular halogen lamps right?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Please understand if you are considering a GL450 - that you drive one and see what you like and/or what you don't like.

1) Always get a copy of the original window sticker - or a MB spec sheet to give you a accurate list of factory options on the particular vehicle

2) With the list of options at hand - and your zip code - check edmunds.com as a reputable 3rd party web site to get unbiased market value guide - in this specici case $41,887 is the edmunds Private Party sale value - with Dealer Retail (not MB Certified like around $44K).

3) Understand warranty - with 52K miles - the 4yrs/50K mile Mercedes new car warranty has expired - if buying non-certified from a non-MB dealer - you will be offered aftermarket warranties at add-on cost - if this was 52K miles Mercedes Certified you would have 1yr Unlimited Mileage Mercedes Certified Warranty which can be extended at additional cost for up to two additional years (total 3yrs).

4) Features - Yes, since you haven't driven/looked closely at a GL before - the options may appear new/unknown to you.

5) This GL is "well equipped" - and not necessarily :very well equipped" - I have attache the MB spec sheet to give you the full/accurate list of options it does have.

6) "CarFax Accident Free" - means there was never a insurance paid body repair - however understand minor (or even major) body repair if private paid does not appear on CarFax. Case in point here - the internal MB VMI does mention "twice" bumper trim and/or other misc body trim parts were ordered in it's past life - which means take a good look at both front and rear bumper.

7) Regularly Serviced - Yes, this GL had 30k/3yrs pre-paid service - AND attached VMI shows broken coolant "hose"/actually a pipe - which was replaced under warranty in addition to service.

8) Rear Seat Entertainment - is no longer the "must have" for parents or grandparents that it was 4-5-6 yrs ago. ALL children now have their own electronics - and watching a movie is not the big deal it used to be. Also - "most" aftermarket warranties will not cover rear entertainment - I say "most" don't. To the good there is 12V outlet and 110v outlet in the 2nd row to keep your grandkids plugged in - and a 12V outlet in the rear cargo area that can be used as 3rd row plugged in.

Since you are considering your 1st Mercedes - and a GL - I am trying to be helpful here - so that you know I don't normally pull spec sheets and/or VMI sheets for forum members at the drop of a hat..

All being equal - tires and brakes are key - no real dealer service records on those in it's history - no real "heavy black marks" - selling dealer got it in on trade at sharp/market price - if no other surprises as a non-Certified unit he has it priced fair-to-market.

Hope this helps - if you are planning long term hold - then there may be other options that are not on the list that this GL has - that may be options you feel you "must have" if you have time to be patient.

Keep the beat !

Can't thank you enough!

Will always ask for the MB spec sheet...

Warranty - how much does the additional 2 yr unlimited miles cost from the dealer?
I have asked for EW from our local MB dealer and its from a 3rd party (Compass) costing $4995 for 48 months & 100k miles.
I have attached the brochure...Can you / anyone take a look at it and see if it is worth it?

Features - I now want to have the active curve system after getting to know about it...are they any other 'must-have' features that I should know about?

Does the bumper trim smell accident to you? ..and isnt the broke hose regular with these model? if not, what could be the reason?

Rear seat entertainment - after going through some of the threads...I see there are 4 options
1. Rear seat entertainment inbuilt
Pros - Don't have to worry about leaving it in the car, carrying it out in adverse climate, safer than other options during accidents
Cons - Cannot play all formats, limited content, not available in all vehicles

2. Pre wired and install aftermarket after getting the vehicle
Would cost $1 - $1.5k and have the same pros and cons like 1

3. Hook up an iPad
Pros - Unlimited content...many many more options
Cons - Need to carry it around if not using it, or if it is too hot / cold out, less safer in case of accidents, the vehicle should have hotspot enabled to be able to access more content which means more $s per month

4. Just don't worry about it and give the kid an iPad / iPhone to hold and watch / play

I ll have to do some thinking about these...what do you guys with kids usually do?
Please correct me if what I am thinking about it is not right!

Please tell me more about the 'must-have' features

Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking time and helping me out!
Attached Files
Old 01-24-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bmw
I am watching this thread closely as I also want to buy a CPO MB GL450, but not sure about the must have features.

keep us posted as to what you decide to get or are getting in your local market.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jlim
Interestingly, fabbrisd1 spec sheet does not list the lightning package, but the OP's link to the seller states the following:

>>
AUTOMATIC HID HEADLIGHTS, DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
<<

fabbrisd1, without the bi-xenon lightning package, the x166 comes with only regular halogen lamps right?

Isn't the lighting package different?

Lighting Package
• Bi ‑Xenon headlamps with Active Curve Illumination and Adaptive Highbeam Assist
Old 01-24-2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by tin369
I am watching this thread closely as I also want to buy a CPO MB GL450, but not sure about the must have features.

keep us posted as to what you decide to get or are getting in your local market.

You can refer to this link to know more about the available features in the 2014 model.
https://www.mbscottsdale.com/public/...4-GL-Class.pdf
Old 01-24-2017, 12:54 PM

2014 GL450
Isn't the lighting package different?

Lighting Package
• Bi ‑Xenon headlamps with Active Curve Illumination and Adaptive Highbeam Assist
The lightning package is the bi-xenon. Without the lightning package, I was under the assumption it is regular halogen. But OP's link to seller says it has HID lights which means it has Xenon.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:21 PM

After looking through CPOs, found this listing interesting..
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/i...DF6EEXFA485172

2015 CPO GL450...46k miles...$45,474

with the following features...

Rear Seat Entertainment
Parktronic
Illuminated Star
Appearance Pkg
Power easy entry
Keyless go
Surround view
Blind spot
Parking assist pkg
Lane tracking & lane keeping
Mirror pkg - don't know what this is
Navigation updates included for 3 yrs
Attention assist

Please let me know your thoughts...

Its a 10 hr drive from my place
Old 01-24-2017, 02:30 PM

2014 GL450
No lightning package. Enough said. You don't want to be the guy driving such a big "luxurious" SUV after dusk, early dawn with halogens.

Also, there's is obviously no rear seat entertainment. Dealer should have listed it as pre-wiring for rear seat.

Last edited by jlim; 01-24-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:36 PM

No lightning package. Enough said. You don't want to be the guy driving such a big "luxurious" SUV after dusk, early dawn with halogens.

Cant we install HIDs and sacrifice active curve illumination and adaptive highbeam assist?
Old 01-24-2017, 02:40 PM

2014 GL450

Cant we install HIDs and sacrifice active curve illumination and adaptive highbeam assist?
For that many miles and that much money, I'll wait and find the exact one. It's not a great bargain. It is also lacking real leather. Original MSRP should be like $76k on that. Also see my above edit, there's no rear seat entertainment screen obviously.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:55 PM

For that many miles and that much money, I'll wait and find the exact one. It's not a great bargain. It is also lacking real leather. Original MSRP should be like $76k on that. Also see my above edit, there's no rear seat entertainment screen obviously.
Nice catch on the rear seat entertainment...I have requested the dealer for the spec sheet and carfax anyways.

Thanks

Will keep searching
Old 01-24-2017, 03:38 PM

After looking through CPOs, found this listing interesting..
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/i...DF6EEXFA485172

2015 CPO GL450...46k miles...$45,474

with the following features...

Rear Seat Entertainment
Parktronic
Illuminated Star
Appearance Pkg
Power easy entry
Keyless go
Surround view
Blind spot
Parking assist pkg
Lane tracking & lane keeping
Mirror pkg - don't know what this is
Navigation updates included for 3 yrs
Attention assist

Please let me know your thoughts...

Its a 10 hr drive from my place

Surprisingly the window sticker has rear seat entertainment listed

https://www.carfaxonline.com/cfm/Dis...DF6EEXFA485172
The car fax has a minor damage listed...how come it is certified?
Can this be treated as a true dent/scratch damage just because it is certified by the dealer?
Attached Files
MSRP_GL450W4_0570410157.pdf (4.4 KB, 109 views)
Old 01-24-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 535d
Not to hijack the thread, but what's everyone's opinions on buying a CPO GL350 which carfax shows was titled as a rental vehicle?
I am looking at 2 that are relatively close to me, both are 2016s, both had MSRPs of 76K, currently listed for 65K, and both have about 10,000 miles on them.
Were those real rentals? Loaners (which I doubt)? Fleet? I feel like I should stay away from them, but how much damage could be done to them in 10,000 miles?

Edit: Will open a separate thread, sorry if this sounded like hijacking.

Last edited by att234; 01-24-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I understand this is a major purchase for you - but ask yourself the question - "why" is this 2015 GL450 several $1,000's less than the other 2015 GL's at the same dealership.

Non-Certified - and even Certified - if you are looking at the bottom of the barrel - there is a reason it's at the bottomof the barrel.

In this case mileage is one item - accident on CarFax is 2nd item - it's whether or not there is a unstated 3rd/4th item that may or may not get you.

Start looking "up" - not "down"..
Old 01-25-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes E550
I would like to suggest looking in the warranty thread of the forum and contacting someone from there. I contacted Jeff and he got me a warranty at a much lower price than what dealer was quoting me.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I understand this is a major purchase for you - but ask yourself the question - "why" is this 2015 GL450 several $1,000's less than the other 2015 GL's at the same dealership.

Non-Certified - and even Certified - if you are looking at the bottom of the barrel - there is a reason it's at the bottomof the barrel.

In this case mileage is one item - accident on CarFax is 2nd item - it's whether or not there is a unstated 3rd/4th item that may or may not get you.

Start looking "up" - not "down"..

Sure...will follow that!

BTW not all vehicles listed under the certified pre-owned inventory in mbusa are certified.

I have talked to one of the dealer about a vehicle and later was informed that it is not a CPO...not sure how they can list it in mbusa even if it is not certified.
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/i...DF7CE2EA375871
Old 01-25-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by LINKBXQ
I would like to suggest looking in the warranty thread of the forum and contacting someone from there. I contacted Jeff and he got me a warranty at a much lower price than what dealer was quoting me.

Thanks...will do that
Old 01-27-2017, 02:32 PM

Can somebody please help me in cracking this?

I am looking at 2 different vehicles at the same dealership.

Can you tell me / help me figure out why the better featured car with less number of miles is priced lesser?
Please!

2013 -- 34,670 miles for $43,695
This one has more features than the other one
MSRP is $82,310
https://www.autoipacket.com/packet-s...DF7CE8DA208672
Carfax 'looks' clean to me...

2014 -- 60,457 miles for $44,395
MSRP $77,660
https://www.autoipacket.com/packet-s...DF7CE9EA322889

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help in deciding over a 2014 GL450, Please!