GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

Trailer hitch install

Old 10-12-2016, 12:39 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C63 AMG S Edition 1, 2015 GL63
Trailer hitch install

There have been a few discussions on the cost to install a trailer hitch on the GL63. In case anyone really wonders why, here ya go:

MB of Reno said it was a 10 hour job but it has been 16 so far and I am suppose to tow my Corvette Wednesday to a two day track event at Thunderhill (Thursday and Friday). I am fearful that I will be leaving VERY late Wednesday night. Glad I at least negotiated a fixed price up front.

I also had them put new tires on it as well. I also hope they remember how to put it all back together. Fingers crossed!
Old 11-27-2020, 06:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
09, SL550 and 14 AMG GL63
Hitch Install

OMG I just ordered the hitch.......I need to fix the price.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:15 PM

Now that I’m thinking about it

So what was the final cost? If you still have the invoice could you send me a redacted copy? The local MB Dealer starts out with.... no such availability. Then goes with “I think these are the right parts’........ If you have the actual parts list and cost that would be phenomenal. you can PM me if preferable.

Rick
Old 12-10-2020, 09:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GLS
Mine was installed at factory, but I would like to know why exactly it is so expensive after the fact? Electronics?
Old 12-10-2020, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by fatmatt0116
Mine was installed at factory, but I would like to know why exactly it is so expensive after the fact? Electronics?
so.... it turns out that MB has a plethora of internal controls, anti-sway etc. that are part of the “programming” that occurs when you have the factory hitch installed. In order for them to work, they basically have to add the factory hitch as if it were.... factory installed. This entails installing and connecting the tow control module (yep they have to add) and wiring harness which runs, you guessed it right down the middle of the vehicle under carpet, insulation, etc. its a complete removal of your interior. After all that you get the famous green dongle to plug into brake controller (bet you always wondered what fit into those empty cutouts in your dash/console)...then reprogramming via Star the fact that you now have a TCM, wiring and hitch. Its not for the faint of heart or smart people.

Answer: Yes if you didnt have an AMG with the Curve system, you could have just dropped 500 or so on any draw-tite, Curt, etc hitch, hooked up your trusty bluetooth wireless brake controller and called it a day. Those poor schmucks that bought an AMG without factory tow hitch.... we are just hosed to the tune of 10-16 hours of MB Dealer service and a 1200 hitch. Oh, lest I forget, absorbing commentary like “you realize thats like hooking up a farm cart to Secretariat right?”

MB Dealer (after speaking w/ MBUSA) is the ONLY source of AMG tow hitch install that wont void warranty and still give you the 7350 tow capacity. Yes they must reprogram transmission to achieve same. Without reprogramming via Star, tow capacity of AMG GL63 is limited to 3k and change. According to MB, you lose the AMG “transmission programming” to achieve the full max x166 tow capacity.

which led me down the rabbit hole to a whole separate mind twist about “what if i just kept AMG programming and towed at max tow weight anyway”. Yep, you got it. Voids warranty, fries transmission.

so excuse the long soliloquy, I either have a completely separate part number and much more delicate AMG transmission or your standard x166 transmission can be tweaked to go like a spanked AMG puppy.

way beyond my knowledge base.
The following users liked this post:
Lawrence Lane (05-15-2023)