GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

GL63 vs Range Rover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
GL63 vs Range Rover

Does the RR full size (not sport) really drive that much better than the GL, the few comparison reviews between them both write as much but find this surprising. I'd test it myself but none of the local RR dealers have a car that I can test drive.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15,000+ Exotic Cars
Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Originally Posted by jenz
Does the RR full size (not sport) really drive that much better than the GL, the few comparison reviews between them both write as much but find this surprising. I'd test it myself but none of the local RR dealers have a car that I can test drive.
I would think that if you want to drive your car hard (as you are in the AMG section)... I'd rather have the MB... For true off road (mud and sand)... Id take the RR.... The RR is much more of a pampering interior too...

I love my GL63 and didn't even consider the RR
Old 10-23-2014, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by jenz
RR still selling at premium and hard to find, almost 2 years in production on top of it.
GL63 readily available with discounts.
Market spoke.....
Old 10-23-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
Originally Posted by absent
RR still selling at premium and hard to find, almost 2 years in production on top of it.
GL63 readily available with discounts.
Market spoke.....
Absent:

Not sure I agree that the market spoke as clearly as you suggest. GL63s have been difficult to acquire. Many of the longer tenured members on this board had to wait a long time to actually pick one up - with discounts very limited. Right now there are more RRs (with the V8 to make it more apples to apples) for sale (new) than GL63s.

Both are great SUVs. Many of us who need/want a third row would simply not consider the RR.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:51 PM

GL63 AMG
The RR has a model change and you know lots of people LOVE a model change. In London the imports laws here are crazy as the dealerships have to have the cars on their lots for 3 MONTHS before they can sell them off. The GL's are ONLY available in GL 63 (not GL 450/550 like in the US).

There are a lot of things to consider with the RR vs the GL too. The RR only sits 5 and the GL fits 7, so fitting numerous kids with car seats is NOT possible with the RR.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by LondonGL63AMG
There are a lot of things to consider with the RR vs the GL too. The RR only sits 5 and the GL fits 7, so fitting numerous kids with car seats is NOT possible with the RR.
This is exactly our situation - need 3 car seats - but dragged the 3 seats to the dealership to ensure a fit in both the GL and RR 2nd row.

Obviously, a 4th child would be left behind in the RR
Old 10-27-2014, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To hell with either.
How about new Escalade with more room then either of those two, take it to Hennessey for twin turbo install.
1000hp and acceleration rivalling Nissan GT-R.....
Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 PM

GL63 AMG
To hell with either.
How about new Escalade with more room then either of those two, take it to Hennessey for twin turbo install.
1000hp and acceleration rivalling Nissan GT-R.....
Have to admit, I loved my Escalade ESV before moving to London a few months ago. It had SO much trunk space to accommodate the family. The GL 63 DOES drive (handling & acceleration) more like a high end sports car and offers many more safety features for the family. The Panoramic roof is really great on the GL, but it does eliminate the option for the flip down TV for the kids to watch.

Any idea how much that twin turbo set is for the Escalade?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:13 PM

2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
The RR has a model change and you know lots of people LOVE a model change. In London the imports laws here are crazy as the dealerships have to have the cars on their lots for 3 MONTHS before they can sell them off. The GL's are ONLY available in GL 63 (not GL 450/550 like in the US).

LondonGL63:

When you say GLs are only available in GL63, do you mean the only V8 model is the 63? I presume you can get the GL350 diesel . . .

Do you see many GL63s around London? A very wealthy city so I would assume so but then the taxes and fuel costs make it that much more expensive than owning one in the U.S. (which I assume is where you came from owning an Escalade EXT before your move).
Old 11-08-2014, 02:00 PM

GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by South Ocean1
LondonGL63:

When you say GLs are only available in GL63, do you mean the only V8 model is the 63? I presume you can get the GL350 diesel . . .

Do you see many GL63s around London? A very wealthy city so I would assume so but then the taxes and fuel costs make it that much more expensive than owning one in the U.S. (which I assume is where you came from owning an Escalade EXT before your move).
My apologies for not being clearer, the only "Petrol/Gas" version is the GL 63 versus the GL 350/450/550. The Diesel in available in GL 350 BlueTEC version.

I see only a handful of GL 63's around London (mostly in Black). The majority of GL's here are GL350. You do have to remember that Land Rover is UK based and is incredibly popular here, so the Range Rover "Vogue" <--- (didn't know what "Vogue" was b/c in the US it's simply "Range Rover") is the king of large SUV's here. Taxeshere are paid for by the dealer for the first 6months/1year & based on CO2 output into the environment. Parking is based on CO2 output as well. Not sure what the taxes are going to be yet to compare it to the ESV.

Last edited by LondonGL63AMG; 11-08-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:43 PM

My apologies for not being clearer, the only "Petrol/Gas" version is the GL 63 versus the GL 350/450/550. The Diesel in available in GL 350 BlueTEC version.

I see only a handful of GL 63's around London (mostly in Black). The majority of GL's here are GL350. You do have to remember that Land Rover is UK based and is incredibly popular here, so the Range Rover "Vogue" <--- (didn't know what "Vogue" was b/c in the US it's simply "Range Rover") is the king of large SUV's here. Taxeshere are paid for by the dealer for the first 6months/1year & based on CO2 output into the environment. Parking is based on CO2 output as well. Not sure what the taxes are going to be yet to compare it to the ESV.
Thanks very much for the info. Glad we don't have the same tax structure here . . .
Old 12-21-2014, 03:22 AM

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts
‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63
Test drove '14 Range Rover HSE SUPERCHARGED V8 extended length before driving '15 GL63 - didn't like RR, felt it was very disconnected, less engaging and not great grip vs GL63 was handsdown a winner.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Festertester
Test drove '14 Range Rover HSE SUPERCHARGED V8 extended length before driving '15 GL63 - didn't like RR, felt it was very disconnected, less engaging and not great grip vs GL63 was handsdown a winner.

Thanks for the comments... Did you have the RR in whatever full sport mode?
No doubt about it... The RR is a lovely vehicle...the interior is hands down more inviting (I suspect MB will fix this issue with the X166 when they do a Maybach version).... But in reality...when I come up on one on the hwy... The exterior design doesn't continually impress me like the previous version did in its heyday (maybe since ford explorers look very similar). At least when I see GL550 /Gl63s in lighter colors....I still appreciate the masculine feel to the car.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:43 AM

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts
‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63
Originally Posted by cyclrder
Thanks for the comments... Did you have the RR in whatever full sport mode?
No doubt about it... The RR is a lovely vehicle...the interior is hands down more inviting (I suspect MB will fix this issue with the X166 when they do a Maybach version).... But in reality...when I come up on one on the hwy... The exterior design doesn't continually impress me like the previous version did in its heyday (maybe since ford explorers look very similar). At least when I see GL550 /Gl63s in lighter colors....I still appreciate the masculine feel to the car.
I didnt drive RR it for extended period, perhaps a couple of miles. IMO MBGL63 designo felt more luxurious with better seat design/cushion/fit than RR. I just feel like RR is much hyped car Vs what it really is.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Wow seriously? I own an 07' RR SC'd & picking up a 11'-12' very soon.. test drove 13' for comparo.. Not only is the latest 14' a good bit faster/quicker than the GL63 it rides like a magic carpet, speedbumps potholes etc etc are barely noticeable, you can have a cup of boiling coffee in your left hand not spilling a drop & just your index finger of right hand on the wheel while hitting a speed bump @ speeds that would get you air born in any other suv/truck/car.. Literally the best riding smoothest suspension I've ever experienced in a car let alone a truck/suv it's smoother riding than my 05 SL600 Biturbo, not kidding..

Not to mention it destroys ANY other SUV/truck on market off-road.. It set NEW world record @ Pikes Peak the TRUE LITMUS TEST of ANY vehicle...
Land Rover*says it has set a new record at*Pikes Peak*for the quickest hill climb in a production sport-utility vehicle. Its*2014 Range Rover Sport*ran the 12.42-mile course in 12 minutes and 35.61 seconds, with an average speed of 59.17 miles per hour. In fact, this also sets the new record for the quickest run in any production-standard vehicle, according to Land Rover.

The record was set by American driver Paul Dallenbach, who has won his division at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb six times, along with winning the event outright three times. Naturally, since speed is important here, the Range Rover Sport used for this challenge featured the range-topping 510-horsepower, 5.0-liter supercharged V8 engine. And considering the fact that the climb encompasses 156 corners on its ascent from 9,390 to 14,110 feet above sea level – a climate where the air only contains 58 percent as much oxygen as it does at sea level – having all that forced-induction grunt was necessary.
Even though the mags are reporting 0-60 4.5 people are seeing 4.1-4.3 0-60 also rips 1/4 mile BONE STOCK in 12.81 @109.89 nearly 110 mph for a 5500lb suv.. In the Dead heat middle of July http://www.dragtimes.com/Land%20Rove...lip-26696.html the excellent perf is mostly due to stout gearing & fast shifting 8 speed auto.. Good friend of mine who doesn't care for posting what his cars do on internet in much cooler 55 deg air just ran 12.57 @ 113 back east.. Still bone stock!!! 0-60 for that run was 3.9 I'll try to get him to post the slip etc... Aftermarket ECU & pulley net 630 bhp Can't wait to see what those 2014's run in 1/4 w/120 more hp/tq! I bet it hits high 11's easily

For comparo C&D 2014 GL63 review notes 0-60 4.8 1/4 13.2x yet has 40 more hp 60 more tq but weighs 300 odd lbs more w/7 speed..

Don't even get me started on the interior of RR, it's nothing short of gorgeous & ridiculously well done/finished super comfortable seats etc If anything you will feel disconnected due to thinking your in a Maybach vs an SUV lol.. About 2 years ago, I never expected ANY of this & was set to buy an 07'-08' ML63 when the opportunity came up to test the RR SC'd I couldn't believe the comfort/ride vs the ML.. though the 08' ML63 I test drove was superior in power vs the 07' RR it only has 390 hp so that's obvious.. The ride is really something please test 1 for yourself

Last edited by Thericker; 01-15-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Red face

Originally Posted by Thericker
Wow seriously? I own an 07' RR SC'd & picking up a 11'-12' very soon.. test drove 13' for comparo.. Not only is the latest 14' a good bit faster/quicker than the GL63 it rides like a magic carpet, speedbumps potholes etc etc are barely noticeable, you can have a cup of boiling coffee in your left hand not spilling a drop & just your index finger of right hand on the wheel while hitting a speed bump @ speeds that would get you air born in any other suv/truck/car.. Literally the best riding smoothest suspension I've ever experienced in a car let alone a truck/suv it's smoother riding than my 05 SL600 Biturbo, not kidding..

Not to mention it destroys ANY other SUV/truck on market off-road.. It set NEW world record @ Pikes Peak the TRUE LITMUS TEST of ANY vehicle...

Even though the mags are reporting 0-60 4.5 people are seeing 4.1-4.3 0-60 also rips 1/4 mile BONE STOCK in 12.81 @109.89 nearly 110 mph for a 5500lb suv.. In the Dead heat middle of July http://www.dragtimes.com/Land%20Rove...lip-26696.html the excellent perf is mostly due to stout gearing & fast shifting 8 speed auto.. Good friend of mine who doesn't care for posting what his cars do on internet in much cooler 55 deg air just ran 12.57 @ 113 back east.. Still bone stock!!! 0-60 for that run was 3.9 I'll try to get him to post the slip etc... Aftermarket ECU & pulley net 630 bhp Can't wait to see what those 2014's run in 1/4 w/120 more hp/tq! I bet it hits high 11's easily

For comparo C&D 2014 GL63 review notes 0-60 4.8 1/4 13.2x yet has 40 more hp 60 more tq but weighs 300 odd lbs more w/7 speed..

Don't even get me started on the interior of RR, it's nothing short of gorgeous & ridiculously well done/finished super comfortable seats etc If anything you will feel disconnected due to thinking your in a Maybach vs an SUV lol.. About 2 years ago, I never expected ANY of this & was set to buy an 07'-08' ML63 when the opportunity came up to test the RR SC'd I couldn't believe the comfort/ride vs the ML.. though the 08' ML63 I test drove was superior in power vs the 07' RR it only has 390 hp so that's obvious.. The ride is really something please test 1 for yourself
Agree 100%.
As rule, I hate ALL SUVs and would not drive one as daily driver but I keep catching myself really falling for the RR my wife is driving and hate to admit, looking forward to drive that thing when we go out.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Agree 100%.
As rule, I hate ALL SUVs and would not drive one as daily driver but I keep catching myself really falling for the RR my wife is driving and hate to admit, looking forward to drive that thing when we go out.
I daily mine & use the SL on the wknds.. Can't wait to get NEW to me 11' or '12' RR SC'd the difference between the 07' SC & 11'-12' is redonk I really love where they're taking the brand w/drop in weight/aluminum chassis on 14' (Couldn't find 1 to test drive but no matter) I'm happy w/the 11'-12' choice for now.. But lQQk see what's coming out later this year

550-567+hp Range Rover Sport SVR Brutalizes the ‘Ring, @ get this 8 min 14 seconds

Here’s another number that you might not expect from such a vehicle: 8:14, as in “eight minutes and 14 seconds.” That’s*the SVR’s reported lap time*of the 12.9-mile Nürburgring Nordschleife, which, according to Land Rover, makes it the quickest production SUV ever to circle the Green Hell. To achieve such a feat, the SVR offers stiffer rear-subframe bushings and optional summer tires on 22-inch wheels. The rest of the chassis remains closely related to the regular Sport Supercharged, but it has been thoroughly recalibrated. The magnetorheological shocks, active roll control, brake-based torque vectoring, air suspension, and limited-slip differential are all retuned for maximum performance.

What’s most surprising about the SVR is that Land Rover hasn’t completely eviscerated the SVR’s off-road ability. A four-wheel-drive system with a low-range transfer case remains in place to facilitate rock crawling, the center differential remains lockable, all-season tires are standard, the adjustable air suspension offers up to 9.3 inches of ground clearance, and wheel travel remains the same as that of the standard version. Even the active roll-control system reverts to the normal Range Rover Sport program should you decide that you’d rather be on trails than on a track. Retaining all of this off-road gear likely means an eye-watering 5500-pound curb weight despite the SVR’s aluminum structure.

To make sure the SVR appeals to the eye, it gets a new front-end treatment with a unique bumper that increases airflow to the intercoolers and the 15-inch front brake rotors, which are pinched by six-piston calipers. A deeper chin spoiler reduces lift and is removable to allow the SVR to go off-road. At the tail end, the SVR gets its own bumper with four exhaust outlets.

Those four pipes are the terminus of a new, larger-diameter exhaust system that features electronically controlled valves that open and close in response to engine load and rpm. Judging by the audio on the*video of the SVR*at the ’Ring, it sounds just like*a Jaguar F-type—not too surprising considering the SVR and the F-type share their supercharged V-8s. We’ve yet to drive the SVR, but judging by what we know so far, it might just steal a few sales away from Porsche and its Cayenne Turbo.
& I didn't think the interior could be anymore enticing

Rest of article/pix http://m.caranddriver.com/land-rover...percharged-svr
Old 01-16-2015, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Just looked up fast times @ the Ring ha this new RR SVR exactly matches the SL65 AMG Ring record & a plethora of other fine autos & sports cars let alone SUV's lol it bests the older heavier 2010-13 SC'd 510 hp RR by 41 seconds!!

# 180.Mercedes SL65 AMG 8:14.001

Chk rest of cars it's equal to or a ton faster around Ring..Out of 334 records on this link it's faster than 154 fine autos.. http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

Last edited by Thericker; 01-16-2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 PM

Just looked up fast times @ the Ring ha this new RR SVR exactly matches the SL65 AMG Ring record & a plethora of other fine autos & sports cars let alone SUV's lol it bests the older heavier 2010-13 SC'd 510 hp RR by 41 seconds!!

# 180.Mercedes SL65 AMG 8:14.001

Chk rest of cars it's equal to or a ton faster around Ring..Out of 334 records on this link it's faster than 154 fine autos.. http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html
So Mr. Thericker and Absent.... If you really are RR guys.... Why don't you go over to the RR forum and talk up your tastes instead of bashing the 63 on this forum... All of us put our $125K where are mouths are and we really like are vehicles here..you guys are talking about buying used RRs...

Funny enough.... As I went out to get the paper this morning...(upstate snowy CT) some guy in a RR Sport was off the side of the road where he had slid off the road on the snow and ice.... I stopped to offer him a lift.. But he was good. I asked him about if he had switched to his winter tires (knowing full well that he hadn't)... He looked at me and said that he had 4WD...and I said... "I see"...and not more than 5 min down the road a SL55 guy was shoveling his car out of the ditch....looking at his wheels and summer tread.... I just kept going... Enough said.

Last edited by cyclrder; 01-19-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Too negative.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
So Mr. Thericker and Absent.... If you really are RR guys.... Why don't you go over to the RR forum and talk up your tastes instead of bashing the 63 on this forum... All of us put our $125K where are mouths are and we really like are vehicles here..you guys are talking about buying used RRs...you aren't even real players...Quite honestly, I don't meet many RR drivers that I really like (and ibetween NYC, the Hamptons, and Greenwich Ct) I meet plenty...mostly jerks. And going further.... Why would you buy a V12 SL? I would have taken a Turbo 911 or a used FF.... But then I'm not on the SL65 forum bashing that stupid car.

Funny enough.... As I went out to get the paper this morning...(upstate snowy CT) some guy in a RR Sport was off the side of the road where he had slid off the road on the snow and ice.... I stopped to offer him a lift.. But he was good. I asked him about if he had switched to his winter tires (knowing full well that he hadn't)... He looked at me and said that he had 4WD...and I said... "I see"...and not more than 5 min down the road a SL55 guy was shoveling his car out of the ditch....looking at his wheels and summer tread.... I just kept going... Enough said.
Wow.. I'm an auto enthusiast & enjoy many, many, brands.. The title of this thread is "GL63 vs Range Rover" The OP asked...
GL63 vs Range Rover

This is a public forum "We" politely gave our opinions w/ + & - on both SUV's & you call that bashing MB? You sound & are incredibly shallow/immature, trying to put me down for buying a used RR SC or & calling the SL V12 biturbo stupid etc & why would I buy it vs a Pcar etc etc

I can't even believe the content you just shoveled onto this thread?? Please tell me you're only 15-16 yrs old & just watch/worship/act like the Kardashians (hopefully just a faze you're going thru?) To think you can't even see or realize just how pathetic your views/statements are is mind boggling. I feel sorry for your parents & anybody that has to deal/talk/listen to you on any regular basis.. Thank God I can just turn my computer off

Last edited by Thericker; 01-19-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 AM

.. Thank God I can just turn my computer off
At over 8K posts..... It doesn't look like you turn your computer off that often.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
So Mr. Thericker and Absent.... If you really are RR guys.... Why don't you go over to the RR forum and talk up your tastes instead of bashing the 63 on this forum... All of us put our $125K where are mouths are and we really like are vehicles here..you guys are talking about buying used RRs...you aren't even real players...Quite honestly, I don't meet many RR drivers that I really like (and ibetween NYC, the Hamptons, and Greenwich Ct) I meet plenty...mostly jerks. And going further.... Why would you buy a V12 SL? I would have taken a Turbo 911 or a used FF.... But then I'm not on the SL65 forum bashing that stupid car.

It's a comparison thread, the point is to compare there pros and cons of each car, there's nothing wrong to with people giving there first hand experiences with the cars they encountered. The old RR Sports were based off the Discovery Chassis not the actual Range Rover chassis until the most recent update, Top Gear explained it in an episode when the new RR Sport model came out. As for an SL55 driving in NE snow weather is beyond stupid. But calling all RR owners jerks doesn't seem as like fair assessment when your comparing NYC/NJ drivers in general, you know clearly what I mean when the drivers in general can be dicks.

But calling people "not real players" really lmao who uses that term anymore. I mean you do realize one of the people you called out in the thread has a Carrera GT (500k-600k+ even as it turns 10 years old now) RR AB (100-150k+) and E63S (100k+) I'm sorry but you just look stupid. Be happy with what you have, there's gonna be people that are gonna love/hate each car, I personally like the GL63 as there no where as many as the RRs but RRs are very nice to drive. But no reason to put people down for there vehicles choices.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:32 PM

I would think that if you want to drive your car hard (as you are in the AMG section)... I'd rather have the MB... For true off road (mud and sand)... Id take the RR.... The RR is much more of a pampering interior too...

I love my GL63 and didn't even consider the RR
V12TT. I've taken note of your comments and edited my response (though it will live on in quotes)... As you can see in my earlier comments on this thread... I gave a fair assessment of my thoughts and I think they were fair to both he RR and the 63....

My comments about certain types of drivers of certain kinds of cars should probably have been kept to myself.... But I still find that they hold true.... And lastly, because somebody owns a GT doesn't mean all that much either... I know a number of guys who own single engine turbine aircraft that I wouldn't dare step into the cockpit with..... They kill themselves regularly with not so good decision making antics.... Money doesn't make you smarter or give better taste.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM

V8 Biturbo
"Money doesn't make you smarter or give better taste"
That's for sure after reading some of these posts.
RR Autobiography with executive seating, and order an Uber if you need to transport more than four people.
The GL63 is proof that D-bags are procreating at an alarming rate!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL63 vs Range Rover