GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

Range After Refuel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 LX570
Range After Refuel?

So I'm the market for another family car., currently we have two LX570's '13 my DD and the '15 is the car we use for long trips. They are very bulletproof vehicles mine has 50k on the clock and has had 0 issues and dads has 15k on and hasn't had any issues either. I DD mine but the '15 that dad bought just stays in the garage because we use it as a family car, he DD's another car. The biggest problem I have with the LX is range, MPG isn't of any concern its how long I can go with refueling. I live in the bay area adn we make trips to LA at least twice a month. From my house LA is 410 miles, and the LX has a max range of 350. So I always have to end refueling somewhere before I hit the grapevine which is fine when I'm alone, but the rest of the family(5 of us) tags along suddenly everybody feels the need to get out and go to the restroom, get something to eat etc. So it turns up being like a hour long stop versus a 10-15 min stop. The MPG of the GL63 and LX is similar so it all has to do with tank size and real world MPG. Second complaint is space I'm 6'1, my younger brother is 6'4, dads 6'0, moms only 5'2 lol, and my little sister is 5'11. We are pretty big family, me and bother usually in the front, mom and dad are in the middle row and the sis is in the back row. Me and my little brother usually have the seats all the back and in the lowest seat height, which fine for my mom because she sits behind my bother but for my dad I usually end up moving my seat up and little higher so he isn't uncomfortable. The third row is just plain uncomfortable I remember even as kids when they had the older LX (long line of LX's 96, 01, 05, 08, 13, and 15) they would pack us back there when my Grandparents would visit and it would be so uncomfortable. It's a body on frame SUV and true off roader so lack of space is explainable. All of our LX's have been traded in with 180k on the clock or more with 0 issues, I understand thats not the case with the GL because my moms been driving S Classes since '95 and all of hers have been relatively been issue free until 100kish miles.
So my question is range after refuel, how is legroom in second and third row, and how is it for semi long road trips?
Thank You
-MjThind

Last edited by Mjthind; 04-19-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
I can't answer your fuel question but I've got first hand experience with the X166 GL (13 GL450) and the third row is very useable. It's got decently sized chairs with adjustable headrests and room for your legs below the floor. The problem with the Land Cruiser/LX third row back in the late 90s early 00s is that it was simply bolted on the floor. This is very uncomfortable for ergonomics since your legs are very high up and your thighs don't get to rest on the seat. The third row ergonomics of the GL is much better in that you sit in it like a normal chair.

Fuel range will be close if you're only looking at the GL63. It's got a 26.4 gallon tank. Are any of the other engines into consideration as well? GL350 bluetec will definitely be the king of range.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:42 AM

'13 LX570
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
I can't answer your fuel question but I've got first hand experience with the X166 GL (13 GL450) and the third row is very useable. It's got decently sized chairs with adjustable headrests and room for your legs below the floor. The problem with the Land Cruiser/LX third row back in the late 90s early 00s is that it was simply bolted on the floor. This is very uncomfortable for ergonomics since your legs are very high up and your thighs don't get to rest on the seat. The third row ergonomics of the GL is much better in that you sit in it like a normal chair.

Fuel range will be close if you're only looking at the GL63. It's got a 26.4 gallon tank. Are any of the other engines into consideration as well? GL350 bluetec will definitely be the king of range.
The current generation LX still has the same issue actually. But it sounds though that the GL is relatively comfortable in the third row, do you know if there is enough leg room for the passengers in the second if I have my seat all the way back and in the lowest height position?

As for engine options test drove GL350 and GL450 both felt kinda of slouchy the dealer didn't have any 550's for me to test dive but had a 63, and I feel in love with the way it behaved, it felt like my mothers '14 S63 but in CUV form, little dated look interior wise but generally it still has the same tech. Both the 350/450 didn't have the low end grunt I was looking for, I always felt the need to push the accelerator more than I have to get up to speed at a decent pace. Also lack of Designo was a turnoff but not a deal breaker because once you experience Designo interior in a MB one never wants to turn back.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C43 Cabrio , 2012 G550 Edition Select ,2010 GL 550(sold) , 2009 C350 , 2004 C240
I can't comment on the GL63 but my GL550 would easily get to 800kms (500 miles) to a tank driving on cruise at 75mph. Not an AMG but with the Designo interior it is very nice .
Old 04-20-2015, 10:56 PM

'13 LX570
Originally Posted by 1Cigarette
I can't comment on the GL63 but my GL550 would easily get to 800kms (500 miles) to a tank driving on cruise at 75mph. Not an AMG but with the Designo interior it is very nice .
Wow how do you drive at 75? I'm generally go around 80-85mph, I mean shouldn't be much of a difference because I think the GL550 gets 18 on the highway and the GL63 gets 17, so I think i can get over 400 at least.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Mjthind
The current generation LX still has the same issue actually. But it sounds though that the GL is relatively comfortable in the third row, do you know if there is enough leg room for the passengers in the second if I have my seat all the way back and in the lowest height position?

As for engine options test drove GL350 and GL450 both felt kinda of slouchy the dealer didn't have any 550's for me to test dive but had a 63, and I feel in love with the way it behaved, it felt like my mothers '14 S63 but in CUV form, little dated look interior wise but generally it still has the same tech. Both the 350/450 didn't have the low end grunt I was looking for, I always felt the need to push the accelerator more than I have to get up to speed at a decent pace. Also lack of Designo was a turnoff but not a deal breaker because once you experience Designo interior in a MB one never wants to turn back.
You can get designo interior on all flavors of the GL.

In regards to the legroom question, I'm not sure as I'm only 5'6" so I generally don't run into "tall guy" issues. Perhaps someone else here can help.

I'm surprised the current gen Land Cruiser/LX has the same crappy third row situation.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
the most I have ever seen is about 15mpg.... usually 13 would be the norm.. and as low as 7mpg ...

very comfortable long haul cruiser.. I drive 100 miles each way every weekend
Old 04-24-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG 2014 GL63 AMG
Hope this helps!! I find the vehicle to be very comfortable on long trips. Albeit I'm only 5'10".

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl63/551634-road-trip.html
Old 04-24-2015, 07:29 PM

'13 LX570
Originally Posted by cyclrder
the most I have ever seen is about 15mpg.... usually 13 would be the norm.. and as low as 7mpg ...

very comfortable long haul cruiser.. I drive 100 miles each way every weekend
Generally I get 13-14 in my LX too mostly because of traffic and the lead foot disease

Originally Posted by smayshusband
Hope this helps!! I find the vehicle to be very comfortable on long trips. Albeit I'm only 5'10".

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl63/551634-road-trip.html
It was thank you!!!! Do you recall if you got over 400 miles of range out of that tank on that trip? I just don't want to have to refuel until we are near our usual destination, I hate have hours longs stops when it should be like 10-15 mins max.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 PM

'13 LX570
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
You can get designo interior on all flavors of the GL.

In regards to the legroom question, I'm not sure as I'm only 5'6" so I generally don't run into "tall guy" issues. Perhaps someone else here can help.

I'm surprised the current gen Land Cruiser/LX has the same crappy third row situation.
But what I have noticed is that it is more readily available on the 550 and 63.

It's actually less roomy from what my sister tells me. We are big LC/LX family so the GL probably be added but the LX won't leave. They are fantastic vehicles from a reliability and quality standpoint. Our previous 4 LX's had clocked at least 180k miles at trade in and lets see how many miles we put on '13 and '15. But yea the 3rd row is actually kinda worse depending on how far back you move the middle row and in our case its moved in the rear most position.