Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

My dealer had four GLA45's available

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
My dealer had four GLA45's available

drove one today, that motor is impressive, it pulls HARD above 2krpm. The ride height of the 45 is lower. I still get claustrophobic in it. The noise is amusing, but I think I might get tired of it...it burps at every downshift and generally sounds very angry. buzzy....like a 4cyl I guess.

There was a GLK parked next to it, hopping from one to the other, the driving position of the GLK is much more upright, much roomier and the visibility out that vertical windshield is much improved. The GLKxx amg is going to be IT...but in the meantime I need a vehicle.
tame glk350 or aggressive SQ5...back on the fence.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T
Originally Posted by schorert1
drove one today, that motor is impressive, it pulls HARD above 2krpm. The ride height of the 45 is lower. I still get claustrophobic in it. The noise is amusing, but I think I might get tired of it...it burps at every downshift and generally sounds very angry. buzzy....like a 4cyl I guess.

There was a GLK parked next to it, hopping from one to the other, the driving position of the GLK is much more upright, much roomier and the visibility out that vertical windshield is much improved. The GLKxx amg is going to be IT...but in the meantime I need a vehicle.
tame glk350 or aggressive SQ5...back on the fence.
I was also very disappointed by the GLA. For me it was the uncomfortable entry to the rear seats (will go to the dealer again to confirm, maybe it's just a matter of getting used-to?), and the height of the GLA250 (North America).

Still have to check out the Q3/Q5, but judging from their external looks, they are very bland, so the interior and ride would have to be REALLY impressive to go that way.

I WAS very impressed by the C300 when I was at the dealer...so much so that it's now a consideration

There's also the upcoming BMW Active Tourer, if that's up your alley.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mihaelb
I was also very disappointed by the GLA. For me it was the uncomfortable entry to the rear seats (will go to the dealer again to confirm, maybe it's just a matter of getting used-to?), and the height of the GLA250 (North America).

Still have to check out the Q3/Q5, but judging from their external looks, they are very bland, so the interior and ride would have to be REALLY impressive to go that way.

I WAS very impressed by the C300 when I was at the dealer...so much so that it's now a consideration

There's also the upcoming BMW Active Tourer, if that's up your alley.

Honestly, I was all but doing the deal on an ML550 as a "gap car" until the GLK AMG appears. You can get an incredibly loaded 550 cpo for less than the SQ5.
My wife emailed me this morning and said "I do NOT want a third MB in the driveway". so this really puts me back in the Q5. She will not even consider BMW, range rover, lexus. I need a small SUV, and she needs an "executive" car if she ever takes it to work...she thinks the S badged audi would work ok. It's not easy being a Female VP...apparently proving yourself starts in the parking lot.....oh wait, that didn't sound right.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:21 PM

B200T
Honestly, I was all but doing the deal on an ML550 as a "gap car" until the GLK AMG appears. You can get an incredibly loaded 550 cpo for less than the SQ5.
My wife emailed me this morning and said "I do NOT want a third MB in the driveway". so this really puts me back in the Q5. She will not even consider BMW, range rover, lexus. I need a small SUV, and she needs an "executive" car if she ever takes it to work...she thinks the S badged audi would work ok. It's not easy being a Female VP...apparently proving yourself starts in the parking lot.....oh wait, that didn't sound right.
lol

I'm in the same boat as your wife (doesn't sound that right either, I know)...but my job entails impressing potential clients. That's why the Q3 and Q5 get bad points with me, as they don't look that impressive. Even with the S treatment.
This is where the C300 did get a lot of points (it looks fantastic), and the interior really impressed too. I prefer to have a taller car/SUV, but after being so impressed by the C300, it did become an option for me.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by mihaelb
lol

I'm in the same boat as your wife (doesn't sound that right either, I know)...but my job entails impressing potential clients. That's why the Q3 and Q5 get bad points with me, as they don't look that impressive. Even with the S treatment.
This is where the C300 did get a lot of points (it looks fantastic), and the interior really impressed too. I prefer to have a taller car/SUV, but after being so impressed by the C300, it did become an option for me.
Honestly, I tell everyone that asks and some people that don't, that the E350 4matic is just about the perfect sedan. If you have to take clients in a car, get the E class. Extremely well appointed inside, and it ages very well outside, doesn't look dated. It's big enough for people up to 6' 4", and there's leg room in the back so two six footers can sit front/back. Plus, you can get them as CPO's coming off of lease with VERY low mileage and low maintenance costs. I don't drive the E very often, but I continue to be impressed with it every time I get in it.
I would never consider a C class, GLK or GLA if I had to impress clients, eventually someone is going to be cramped.While the E class may not impress some, it's hard to find anything to criticize about it.

My wife worked in non profit research and was roundly criticized for driving an ML, so she traded that for a prius. When she moved to healthcare, she was teased about the prius! Members of leadership were expected to project an air of professionalism and success, not thrift. She did take my AMG to work a couple of times and was immediately beset by doctor's wanting to talk about her car..."I don't know, it's my husbands stupid car, it spins the tires at every light".
Q5's, Range Rovers, ML's, Lexus's are cars driven by executives wives, not executives.
The S is a real sleeper, with enough giddyup to keep driving interesting. Alas, all the SQ5 cpo's I've looked at have sold, I'm actually back to the ML550 on top of the list....tough choices.

Last edited by schorert1; 10-06-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:48 PM

B200T
Honestly, I tell everyone that asks and some people that don't, that the E350 4matic is just about the perfect sedan. If you have to take clients in a car, get the E class. Extremely well appointed inside, and it ages very well outside, doesn't look dated. It's big enough for people up to 6' 4", and there's leg room in the back so two six footers can sit front/back. Plus, you can get them as CPO's coming off of lease with VERY low mileage and low maintenance costs. I don't drive the E very often, but I continue to be impressed with it every time I get in it.
I would never consider a C class, GLK or GLA if I had to impress clients, eventually someone is going to be cramped.While the E class may not impress some, it's hard to find anything to criticize about it.

My wife worked in non profit research and was roundly criticized for driving an ML, so she traded that for a prius. When she moved to healthcare, she was teased about the prius! Members of leadership were expected to project an air of professionalism and success, not thrift. She did take my AMG to work a couple of times and was immediately beset by doctor's wanting to talk about her car..."I don't know, it's my husbands stupid car, it spins the tires at every light".
Q5's, Range Rovers, ML's, Lexus's are cars driven by executives wives, not executives.
The S is a real sleeper, with enough giddyup to keep driving interesting. Alas, all the SQ5 cpo's I've looked at have sold, I'm actually back to the ML550 on top of the list....tough choices.
Thanks for the thought-out response. I totally agree about space being important if you have to drive clients.
I don't have to drive them. Just arrive at their businesses...sometimes they see me in the parking lot, sometimes (well, usually, actually) not. So a looker like a C class (cramped though it may be in the back) is good for this
If I were to go with the GLA, I'd have to get the AMG looks package, as it looks a bit bland without it, and probably metallic paint for the same reason. The height of the GLA250 still poses a problem in terms of looks, as it makes the car look wimpy and unbalanced (balance in terms of looks).

As of right now, the C300 is on top of my list. But like I said earlier, waiting on the facelifted AWD B class (probably with AMG pack) and Active Tourer to hit North America prior to deciding.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:58 PM

GLA 45
Yea it's not really the same as most other audis and mercs, really it's a german sti. Viewed in that light it is incredibly refined. The noise may depend on whether it has the loud exhaust option, yes that would get old but stock is sweet. The thing turns like 2500 rpm at 90 in 7th gear and it's way way quieter and more relaxed than an evo. I Don't know who will buy these but they are insane to drive at pace, grip is silly
Old 10-06-2014, 08:16 PM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by natrat
Yea it's not really the same as most other audis and mercs, really it's a german sti. Viewed in that light it is incredibly refined. The noise may depend on whether it has the loud exhaust option, yes that would get old but stock is sweet. The thing turns like 2500 rpm at 90 in 7th gear and it's way way quieter and more relaxed than an evo. I Don't know who will buy these but they are insane to drive at pace, grip is silly
Yes the GLA45 drives just like a CLA45, with different style, more head and cargo space at the rear half.

Even though the front bumper features are different too, the differences are not very noticeable.

The GLA250 looks and drives more different than the CLA250 due to the height.

Last edited by dtc100; 10-06-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
I drove a GLA45 AMG over the weekend, car was everything it promised to be. Absolutely loved it. Still have not had the chance to drive a CLA45. If the CLA45 rides as nice as the GLA, I will go with the CLA. If not GLA it is. Felt more connected and quicker than the Macan S. That is saying alot, considering the Macan is excellent. The macan did ride better.

Between a C300 and GLA, I'd go GLA. It's pretty fresh so it would intrigue alot of people.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:15 PM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
I drove a GLA45 AMG over the weekend, car was everything it promised to be. Absolutely loved it. Still have not had the chance to drive a CLA45. If the CLA45 rides as nice as the GLA, I will go with the CLA. If not GLA it is. Felt more connected and quicker than the Macan S. That is saying alot, considering the Macan is excellent. The macan did ride better.

Between a C300 and GLA, I'd go GLA. It's pretty fresh so it would intrigue alot of people.
Driving dynamics are almost identical between CLA45 and GLA45, with CLA lighter and slightly lower, should be a little more nimble at turns and faster, WHEN PUSHED HARD (emphasis added).

However I thought they actually tuned the GLA45 to be just a tad more civilized than the CLA45 too. Turbo lag was not as noticeable, suspension a little softer.

Could be just my forced impression since I only test drove the brand new GLA45 for 15 minutes. My CLA45 has been driven hard for over 5K miles.

Speaking of the GLA45 over Macan S, according to Motor Trend, the GLA45 actually meets or beats the Macan Turbo on several standard measures:

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/su...mg_first_test/

Last edited by dtc100; 10-07-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
I test drove the CLA45 and GLA. Get the Macan instead. It is plenty fast and it is in a different league on refinement. I was considering the GLA45 back in the days and it has to be the most disappointing MB ever... at least to me.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:47 PM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by supernsx
I test drove the CLA45 and GLA. Get the Macan instead. It is plenty fast and it is in a different league on refinement. I was considering the GLA45 back in the days and it has to be the most disappointing MB ever... at least to me.
If refinement is very important to you, then the GLA45 is not targeted at you obviously.

Both the CLA and GLA are aimed at first time MB buyers who are drivers of Japanese racers. Sight, speed and sound is everything, refinement is not.

The CLA/GLA styling, both inside and out, can easily make an older driver puke because it is a drastic departure from the old MB, or German luxuries in general.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by dtc100
If refinement is very important to you, then the GLA45 is not targeted at you obviously.

Both the CLA and GLA are aimed at first time MB buyers who are drivers of Japanese racers. Sight, speed and sound is everything, refinement is not.

The CLA/GLA styling, both inside and out, can easily make an older driver puke because it is a drastic departure from the old MB, or German luxuries in general.
I puked.

I told the sales manager at this dealership that I had no idea who this AMG was designed for. AMG guys won't buy it because it's a 4cyl, and sounds like one. Family guys won't buy it because there's no space, and professionals won't buy it because it's not a sedan. it's definitely a niche car.
I'd enjoy driving it, but overall the fun of it would fade very quickly. It sounds bad but if I parked it next to an S63 in a parking lot I'd feel silly,at age 50, climbing out of it .
I opted for all the things that this GLA isn't, a CPO ML550. I'm hoping this is a gap car until a 6cyl GLK AMG appears. The ML is big, soft and so completely loaded with options that are not available on the GLA45, and it's $15k less. this is an apples/oranges situation, but when I make a list of what I was looking for in a daily driver, driving like a "nutter" was down on the list a bit (and fully covered by my 6 Liter AMG convertible).
Old 10-08-2014, 10:16 AM

CLA45 AMG
Two corrections

A car that sells 3k a month (250/45) is not a niche car.

And start up family guys will drive them.

I think MB is happy to see that you are still in the family, and hopefully that 45 driver will hold on to the excitement for a while.

And even better when he turns 50 he will look at a new CLA45 (or something similar), puke, then get into some different kind of AMG.

Last edited by dtc100; 10-08-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by dtc100
Two corrections

A car that sells 3k a month (250/45) is not a niche car.

And start up family guys will drive them.

I think MB is happy to see that you are still in the family, and hopefully that 45 driver will hold on to the excitement for a while.

And even better when he turns 50 he will look at a new CLA45 (or something similar), puke, then get in some different kind of AMG.
Oh from all reports the GLA250 is moving briskly, but that's $15k less than the AMG, and I doubt you get an AMG out the door for under $57k-$62k (the prices of the four were $57, $59, $62, $62k).

I agree it's a starter AMG.

Honestly, I was out the door on MB, and my wife did NOT want a third MB in the drive. I shopped HARD for that audi SQ5, and while the fit and finish is much improved, I don't think that package is worth $62k ...and those CPO's were selling for almost as much as new, mid $50's (one was at MSRP!).
this is my second ML, I know the quality of the interior and the ride, and I know that I got a much better car in the ML cpo than in the Audi CPO for $10k more.
For a car that I intend to own less than 18mos, I think it fills my needs, if not...well this is the fourth vehicle I've purchased in the last 12 mos(three of them MB's, one Ford F-250), I'm not adverse to swapping one. the bride is not excited about my "car for every season" philosophy.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 AM

GLA 45
I'd feel silly,at age 50, climbing out of it .
Such a strange world; at 48 i would feel really odd getting out a sedan, but i know, i'm in the minority, people like sedans in the us, the bigger the better. I think this gla45 is aimed at a slightly younger customer with money to burn, maybe someone graduating from golf rs stis and evos. Obviously not the typical amg customer. Whether there is any market for this beyond small niche remains to be seen.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by natrat
Such a strange world; at 48 i would feel really odd getting out a sedan, but i know, i'm in the minority, people like sedans in the us, the bigger the better. I think this gla45 is aimed at a slightly younger customer with money to burn, maybe someone graduating from golf rs stis and evos. Obviously not the typical amg customer. Whether there is any market for this beyond small niche remains to be seen.
At about a score younger than the both of you, perhaps the target market is someone like me. I have come from all over the board in what I have owned, which includes several AMG's, Corvettes, SRT-4's, STi/WRX, Mustangs and F-bodies, even a 911 and an M3. Others as well. So I am really not biased at all. If it performs, I like it.

I test drove the Macan S, it does have the better interior, however, the GLA45 I test drove wasn't terrible. I will never be a fan of the stick on monitor screen, but with the brown leather and dash package, it wasn't bad at all.

Given that I can have the GLA45 for about 8k cheaper than a Macan S for the options I want. I really have a hard time arguing a case for the Macan. Especially since the GLA45 outperforms the Macan S. I was recently sold on ordering a Macan S. I am glad I waited to test drive the GLA45.

Also, something just feels special about the GLA45. I am not saying the Macan S is in any shape or form a bad choice. In all the SUVs I test drove recently, it is a solid second choice after the GLA45 AMG.

Last edited by Nachtsturm; 10-08-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I puked.

I told the sales manager at this dealership that I had no idea who this AMG was designed for. AMG guys won't buy it because it's a 4cyl, and sounds like one. Family guys won't buy it because there's no space, and professionals won't buy it because it's not a sedan. it's definitely a niche car.
I'd enjoy driving it, but overall the fun of it would fade very quickly. It sounds bad but if I parked it next to an S63 in a parking lot I'd feel silly,at age 50, climbing out of it .
I opted for all the things that this GLA isn't, a CPO ML550. I'm hoping this is a gap car until a 6cyl GLK AMG appears. The ML is big, soft and so completely loaded with options that are not available on the GLA45, and it's $15k less. this is an apples/oranges situation, but when I make a list of what I was looking for in a daily driver, driving like a "nutter" was down on the list a bit (and fully covered by my 6 Liter AMG convertible).

Where do you keep getting this 6-cylinder GLK AMG stuff from? Where have you seen that such a model is even on the drawing board?

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 10-08-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:21 PM

Also, something just feels special about the GLA45. I am not saying the Macan S is in any shape or form a bad choice. In all the SUVs I test drove recently, it is a solid second choice after the GLA45 AMG.

I don't find these two that similar...or the x1 for that matter. I saw them all the other day, the GLA45 definitely seems like more of a hot-hatch, while the Macan and the X1 and Q3 kind of present as a tiny suv. The GLA is definitely different in appearance from other MB SUV's, while the porsche, audi, and bmw are all stye-wise identical to their larger siblings.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:29 PM

CLA45 AMG
Given that I can have the GLA45 for about 8k cheaper than a Macan S for the options I want. I really have a hard time arguing a case for the Macan. Especially since the GLA45 outperforms the Macan S.
I thought GLA45 and Macan S are similar in cost, Macan Turbo about $15K more.

What options made Macan S so much more?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't find these two that similar...or the x1 for that matter. I saw them all the other day, the GLA45 definitely seems like more of a hot-hatch, while the Macan and the X1 and Q3 kind of present as a tiny suv. The GLA is definitely different in appearance from other MB SUV's, while the porsche, audi, and bmw are all stye-wise identical to their larger siblings.
Agreed, but they will be cross shopped. Performance oriented "SUVs" around the same price point.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 PM

Agreed, but they will be cross shopped. Performance oriented "SUVs" around the same price point.
Yeah, as someone who doesn't care for all four of them, I would say the GLA45 is my favorite of the bunch!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 PM

2015 GLA 250
New guy here -

I'm 33. The GLA is a perfect "exec" car for me. I've had new S4s and A6s before, and felt too "fakerich" in those. This is perfect.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Where do you keep getting this 6-cylinder GLK AMG stuff from? Where have you seen that such a model is even on the drawing board?

M
Sorry, the first report I read about a GLK AMG(GLC amg) was that it was going to be a new 6-cyl turbo(like 1.5x the 45 motor). All reports since the car appeared at nurburgring a couple of weeks ago is that it is a mid 400's hp 8cyl.

I passed on the GLA, the ML550 will get me by until the GLC is produced...told my wife we're taking euro delivery in 2016.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Sorry, the first report I read about a GLK AMG(GLC amg) was that it was going to be a new 6-cyl turbo(like 1.5x the 45 motor). All reports since the car appeared at nurburgring a couple of weeks ago is that it is a mid 400's hp 8cyl.

I passed on the GLA, the ML550 will get me by until the GLC is produced...told my wife we're taking euro delivery in 2016.

Yeah I was going to say there will be no 6-cylinder AMG engine of any kind. What there might be is a GLC450 AMG Sport, with 362hp and a AMG tuned suspension, just short of a full on AMG car. The C450 AMG Sport arrives for the 2016 model year to replace the C400 so they may do the GLK/GLC the same way. I'm hoping they do. The GLC63 will be a complete beast with up to 503hp from the new 4L V8!

M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My dealer had four GLA45's available