GLA Class (X156) Produced 2013-2020

GLA/GLK Comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
GLA/GLK Comparison

I presently have a 2013 GLK350. I am considering a GLA250 when my lease expires this summer. Reading this forum I have noticed some GLA owners previously had the GLK.

My question is about the ride quality compared to the GLK and what has been reported as a "choppy" ride by some of the magazines. Also I have seen some complaints about wind noise. I have experienced wind noise in the GLK and wondered if someone can give a comparison from experience?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
I traded in my 2013 GLK350 for a GLA in December. I am extremely happy. The GLK is definitely bigger, especially in the trunk area. The wind noise is not a problem, since the GLK has terrible wind noise, so compared to the GLK, it's great. The choppy ride, if they are talking about the suspension... I don't see that much of a difference. On my GLK I had 20" wheels, so the ride was pretty hard, and I've gone through 2 tires and bent a rim on NYC streets. Our GLA has 19" wheels and I think that one inch difference makes up for the suspension difference. If you had 19's or lower on your GLK, you may think the GLA is "choppy".

The only thing I can complain about is the Transmission, but our GLK had the same issue: Jerking Transmission. Mercedes calls it a learning transmission and it's supposed to learn your driving habits and smooth out. Our GLK never did and I learned to live with it. The GLA is exhibiting the same behavior... You press the pedal and it starts moving slowly then suddenly you get a boost of power and speed, around 2nd and 3rd gear. I think it's the ECO mode trying to save gas, since this doesn't happen in Sport mode.

And since the GLA base prices is much less than the GLK, I was able to load ours up pretty well. I'd recommend the Lighting Package and Interior Package. The headlights are pretty amazing. The leather seats are great and the leather trimmed dash is really nice. Also, the Multimedia package is a good one. Even though I dislike manufacturer navigation options, the integration with car is still worth it to me over using a third party GPS. I also like being able to find an address in the phone book on my phone and send it to the car while I'm still home. When I start the car, the address appears on screen with the option to save or start navigation.

Last edited by kozak79; 02-01-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 GLA250 4Matic, '13 GLK 4Matic (wife's), '01 Porsche Boxster S, 1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan
We own both a GLK 350 and a GLA 250. I find the GLA actually is quieter and rides better than the GLK. We take the GLA on long trips due to ride and fuel economy.

What I miss most going from GLK to GLA is the torque and power. The 200HP 4 banger falls far short on power compared to the 300HP V6.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLA
Ik heb geen Enkele Klacht boven Mijn GLA, ben er zeer tevreden voorbij.

Last edited by gjan; 02-03-2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: niet goed vertaald
Old 02-03-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350W4
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I presently have a 2013 GLK350. I am considering a GLA250 when my lease expires this summer. Reading this forum I have noticed some GLA owners previously had the GLK.

My question is about the ride quality compared to the GLK and what has been reported as a "choppy" ride by some of the magazines. Also I have seen some complaints about wind noise. I have experienced wind noise in the GLK and wondered if someone can give a comparison from experience?

Thanks in advance.
I currently have a 2013 GLK and recently test drove a GLA because my wife wants a new car for herself.

Ride/Comfort:

My GLK has the 20" AMG Wheels and I test drove the GLA with 19" AMG Wheels. The ride was definitely harsher in the GLA due to the run flats IMO. The GLA is also much lower to the ground, so the view out the front is more sedan than SUV. The best way to compare the two is that the GLA has a sportier feel to it, whereas the GLK has a more comfortable luxurious feel. So if you want sport, I would say pick the GLA, but if you want comfort then the GLK/GLC.

Noise:
First thing I noticed in my test drive was that the GLA is not MB-quiet. On concrete surfaces the GLA is as loud as a Honda product, whereas the GLK is much more subdued and almost as quiet as an E-Class. That being said, there is some slight wind noise at high speed in the GLK, but nothing excessive.

If you look at pictures of the GLA and GLK's B-pillar/front doors, you will notice that the GLA lacks insulation as you can see the outside paint on the inside of the doors, whereas on the GLK it is covered with plastic insulation.

On asphalt surfaces both the GLK and GLA are equally quiet.

I really like the GLA. It feels like a Benz behind the wheel, but does show it is an entry-level Benz in the interior materials and road noise (much like my 2010 GLK that I traded in for the 2013).