GLA Class (X156) Produced 2013-2020

If You're Thinking About Buying One, DON'T!

Old 06-16-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLA 250
Love the 2015 GLA 250

Not sure what all the gripes are about the GLA. I love mine, no complaints, rides nice, great around town and on the road. Nice gas mileage. Would buy another in a minute.
Have a question, Becker Map Pilot. I have the wiring for the pilot. Will all Map Pilots work on the GLA, or does it take a specific part no.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Seriously, guys- WTF is wrong with this 1Guitar guy? He only has 1 guitar and he wants 2 guitars and everyone who disagrees with him is a 25 year old moron?

Should we set up a Kickstarter and buy the guy a 2nd guitar so he can stop insulting his fellow forum members?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:03 PM

2009 E350, 2015 GLK350 4Matic
Originally Posted by FVMann
Not sure what all the gripes are about the GLA. I love mine, no complaints, rides nice, great around town and on the road. Nice gas mileage. Would buy another in a minute.
Have a question, Becker Map Pilot. I have the wiring for the pilot. Will all Map Pilots work on the GLA, or does it take a specific part no.
Map Pilot is swappable between models; they took ours out of the GLA and put it in the GLK and presto--all of the historical data was on there and worked flawlessly.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:41 PM

2015 GLA 250
Thanks for the info. I was afraid that the GLA being newer model it might have different wiring. How do you like the Map Pilot. I have heard varying reports on it. Some good, some questionable. Not sure if it is worth the money.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:41 PM

2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
Seriously, guys- WTF is wrong with this 1Guitar guy? He only has 1 guitar and he wants 2 guitars and everyone who disagrees with him is a 25 year old moron?

Should we set up a Kickstarter and buy the guy a 2nd guitar so he can stop insulting his fellow forum members?
he sounds like an upset taxi driver
Old 06-17-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by FVMann
Thanks for the info. I was afraid that the GLA being newer model it might have different wiring. How do you like the Map Pilot. I have heard varying reports on it. Some good, some questionable. Not sure if it is worth the money.
Honestly, I'd just use my cell phone as my nav system if it was me, but my wife likes to have the Nav in the car while driving. You can sync your phone via bluetooth to read out the directions over the speakers too I believe, so for $600 I can imagine better things to do with that cash.

If I were you I'd go without to start with but you can always go back and get the module whenever you want...assuming all of them are prewired for Becker. I have a feeling they are but double check.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 GLA250 4Matic, '13 GLK 4Matic (wife's), '01 Porsche Boxster S, 1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan
Depends on whether the dealerships ever get base models. The cars delivered to the dealerships may all have some options and get the pre-wire, but it is a $200 stand alone option.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:11 PM

2002 C240 Sedan, 2016 GLC300
the GLA250 is certainly a lot less comfortable than C class.. we just booked a test drive with high expectation...
Old 06-25-2015, 04:32 PM

2015 GLA250, 2011 GLK350
My salesman told me that every GLA250 shipped to their dealership came pre-wired.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sivanevets
the GLA250 is certainly a lot less comfortable than C class.. we just booked a test drive with high expectation...
I absolutely HATED the C300 that we had as a loaner for over a month. I thought the GLA and the C Class performed almost identically, but the C Class with the 4 banger felt like a tin can to me, at a likely minimum $40K starting price.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 GLA 250, 2005 C240
Originally Posted by 1guitar
I took my E class in for service and they gave me one of these pieces of tin as a loaner. This car is beyond argument the worst automobile I've ever driven...
I just took my S600 Maybach in for service and they gave me an E class as a loaner. What a tiny little piece of junk! That car is beyond argument the worst automobile I've ever driven. Of course I've only driven cars that cost three times as much so I have no basis for my argument in reality, but I will continue to make it using as many absolute declarative pronouncements as possible.
The following users liked this post:
J. S. (04-22-2020)
Old 09-05-2015, 06:37 AM
OBP

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
So maybe I can chime in a little here - 14 CLS550 owner, also long time driver of a still very pretty and cushy Lexus SC430 conv. Just bought a 15 GLK and considered the GLA in some detail over the last several months. One reason why we did not choose the GLA was because it was a little too small for what we needed. Also the interior is a little more basic than what we would have liked - not bad at all, just basic. BUT, at the price point and assuming reasonable reliability, I don't see a need to trash talk the little GLA. We test drove both the 250 and the 45AMG and I actually liked the 250 better cos the 45AMG was a rocket but getting started off the line showed a lot of lag ( which was funny cos the CLA45 I tested did not show the lag). If we had more modest needs that did not involve carrying multiple kids and a nanny, I think the GLA250 could have met our requirements at a lower price than the GLK. But those who say look to the Japanese small SUVs as competition may have a point - qn is do you want to be associated with the three pointed star community and how much more over a Honda or Toyota will you pay for it. It's an economic/personal lifestyle choice and for me, having owned MB, Honda and Toyota products, it will come down to the actual $ in each case.

But no - I certainly have no reason ( after a few test drives ) to hate on the GLA. Could say the CLA is a poor man's version of my CLS but from an economic point of view, Merc is getting the volume out there as a I see more and more CLA's on the road. That's profit that could go into R&D for the whole Merc brand and may even help higher end technologies in upper level offerings like the Maybach.

Let the GLA be - it's priced entry level cos it is entry level and there is good business sense in that.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:45 AM

2010 E CLASS COUPE 350
I actually drove an E Coupe 350 for the past two years...marvelous car...just recently I sold that car and bought a new GLA250 4matic...I must say that I think this is a marvelous car too....great design, and I truly enjoy driving it more than the E Class....
Old 09-09-2015, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by bghart2003
I actually drove an E Coupe 350 for the past two years...marvelous car...just recently I sold that car and bought a new GLA250 4matic...I must say that I think this is a marvelous car too....great design, and I truly enjoy driving it more than the E Class....
That's great to know. We're going from 2 2012 E350 Coupes to a C300 and GLA 250 4Matic. I won't have the GLA as my daily driver, but I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:57 AM

2015 Mercredes Benz GLA-250
NEW GLA 250 owner

I took my E class in for service and they gave me one of these pieces of tin as a loaner. This car is beyond argument the worst automobile I've ever driven, it's loud and noisy as hell, to say nothing about how uncomfortable it is to drive and sit in. If this car is your price point, do yourself a favor and get over the fact that it has a 3 pointed star and buy yourself a Toyota or Honda, they are far superior to this piece of trash that shows is MB's is desperate to sell. My MB dealer sold two since they've been introduced and even he says it's a piece of trash. Let the buyer be ware.
Doc
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How could you compare an E-Class to a GLA-250?
My friend the E-Class is not in the same league as the GLA, the E-Class is a prehistoric compared to the GLA-250.
I have had three Mercedes Benz- C-250 , E-Class , and now a proud owner of a GLA-250, it is a pleasure to drive, heaps of grunt, loaded with technology, love the park assist, press a button and the GLA parks itself, its ride is really good, steering is much more direct than my other Mercedes i have owned.
A friend owns a CLA-45, after taking my GLA for a run he now wishes he had bought the GLA as he said the ride is quieter, and it handles beautifully, the seating is far more comfortable.
To anyone considering buying a GLA-250 don't hesitate they are a great car, you will never regret your purchase
Old 10-09-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
No Comparison

I'm not comparing the E class to the GLA class, what I am saying is that there a lot of other cars that are just as good and better for the same cost as the GLE and if you research it you will see it's true. Don't believe for a minute that your not paying for the MB name plate, you are and it's a double whammy as the dollar is up by more than 15% versus last year which is why MB can afford to offer 10 to 15% discounts on the "S" class which is selling very slow.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 PM

'15 GLA250 4Matic, '13 GLK 4Matic (wife's), '01 Porsche Boxster S, 1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan
I'm not comparing the E class to the GLA class, what I am saying is that there a lot of other cars that are just as good and better for the same cost as the GLE and if you research it you will see it's true. Don't believe for a minute that your not paying for the MB name plate, you are and it's a double whammy as the dollar is up by more than 15% versus last year which is why MB can afford to offer 10 to 15% discounts on the "S" class which is selling very slow.
Nice to see that you backing off from your previous rant.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:38 PM

Smile Re GLA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, I agree with you that there are a lot of other cars just as good as the GLA and cheaper, what I take into account when I buy a Benz is that fair enough we pay a bit more the the three pointed star but when we trade up in a couple of years we get more for our Benz trade, if we buy a cheaper car naturally we are not going to get as much for our trade.
Another thing to keep in mind re the Benz, Mercedes set the standard and the other manufacturers follow,I have checked all this out and if you look back a few years Mercedes had top technology in there cars while the others were trying to get there head around it.
Just another thing while I think of it, my brother inlaw recently bought an Aston Martin Vantage $530,000 when I took it for a run I thought it was like riding on a billy cart, plenty of power but bloody noisy, vision from the sides and back is terrible, BUT: its an Aston Martin so again we pay for the name as we do for our Benz.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:49 PM

Buying a GLA

[QUOTE=Old Hick;6381363]Welp, that settles it. Just hope I can stop payment on the check before the dealer ca
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In answer to hesitating to buy a GLA-
Go ahead and buy it you will not regret your new GLA purchase they are a great car,check out the reviews, Audie, BMW, & Lexon are miles behind the GLA, as one review said- other SUV manufacturers are going to be years before they catch up with the Mercedes GLA.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 BMW 230ix convertible, 2018 GLC300
Decided Not To Order One

Went to the dealer this week to order a loaded GLA for my wife. She thought it looked adorable in red. She test drove it and found there were big blind spots in the rear roof corners and felt it was a problem for her. Granted she is 5'3" but would rather an SUV with better visibility. We currently have a GLK that she finds has great visibility and we will see if the GLC is better for her.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:32 PM

Yes I agree with your wife at first it seems as though there are blind spots at the rear but I soon got used to it, we find the rear view camera great also the sensors, it also has blind spot assist which is realy good.
I test drove the top 3 SUV-Audi, BMW, & the GLA, and with out a doubt the others did not even come close to the GLA.
Check out the reviews to give you more an idea of the GLA.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:48 PM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
The 2017 E Class - News Flash

Boxster:You are far more astute than the average person on this site. In any case I am ordering a 2017 E class for delivery in June. On Friday my dealer called to break the bad news. First the alleged good news is MB is keeping the base price of the 4 door sedan the same as the 2016, the absolute, ridiculous news is that the standard engine in the E Class
Will be the same 4 cylinder engine that is the standard in the 300 2016 C class, the alleged 5 or 6 cylinder that was supposed to be the 350 E class engines replacement will be an option for about $5k, there will be some other items with a diesel variant available in 2018. The base 2017 will be de contented, a/k/a there will be some equipment that is now standard which will become options, my dealer said that (he recently saw the car in person at the corporate offices in Montvale, NJ) the car is a cross between a C and S class in terms of its' looks which is no surprise to me. Just as an FYI, he told me that all the dealers that were invited to see the car in person were made to empty their pockets and had to pass thru a metal detector, he said that MB would not permit any pictures nor cell phones, nothing and he said security was as tight as a drum, this man isn't prone to exaggeration.
So, for anybody planning on buying a 2017 E, bring your bank book as I was also told there will not be any discounts on the E due to the fact that the S class didn't sell as well as MB was expecting, no wonder given the price of a base S class has risen by 2% every year for the past 15 years, so has the E for that matter. My only conundrum is whether to buy the P1 that comes with the factory GPS or save the $2,700 and just buy a top of the line Garmin GPS every year for the 5 years I will own the car, oh well we'll see.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:59 PM

Re 2017 E

Hi, Thanks for your compliment,
Re your purchase of 2017 E ? I guess it all depends on supply and demand, to give you an example, I paid AU$64,000 for a GLA-250 , in the USA you pay much less than we do in Australia, in the last month the GLA that I purchased has now gone up to AU$68,000 , hence supply and demand if a particular model is popular as it may be for your 2017 E.
You guys are so lucky to pay the prices you do for a Benz.
Have a nice day,
Cheers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boxster:You are far more astute than the average person on this site. In any case I am ordering a 2017 E class for delivery in June. On Friday my dealer called to break the bad news. First the alleged good news is MB is keeping the base price of the 4 door sedan the same as the 2016, the absolute, ridiculous news is that the standard engine in the E Class
Will be the same 4 cylinder engine that is the standard in the 300 2016 C class, the alleged 5 or 6 cylinder that was supposed to be the 350 E class engines replacement will be an option for about $5k, there will be some other items with a diesel variant available in 2018. The base 2017 will be de contented, a/k/a there will be some equipment that is now standard which will become options, my dealer said that (he recently saw the car in person at the corporate offices in Montvale, NJ) the car is a cross between a C and S class in terms of its' looks which is no surprise to me. Just as an FYI, he told me that all the dealers that were invited to see the car in person were made to empty their pockets and had to pass thru a metal detector, he said that MB would not permit any pictures nor cell phones, nothing and he said security was as tight as a drum, this man isn't prone to exaggeration.
So, for anybody planning on buying a 2017 E, bring your bank book as I was also told there will not be any discounts on the E due to the fact that the S class didn't sell as well as MB was expecting, no wonder given the price of a base S class has risen by 2% every year for the past 15 years, so has the E for that matter. My only conundrum is whether to buy the P1 that comes with the factory GPS or save the $2,700 and just buy a top of the line Garmin GPS every year for the 5 years I will own the car, oh well we'll see.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:25 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
this is an awesome thread, after reading through it I think I understand this **** even less than before..................I think it's sad.......
Old 11-01-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by hyperion667
,..... after reading through it I think I understand this **** even less than before......
LOL, Indeed.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If You're Thinking About Buying One, DON'T!