GLA Class (X156) Produced 2013-2020

I spilled coffee on the console HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA mercedes Benz
I spilled coffee on the console HELP

The brake system activated and the coffee in the mug spilled onto the console.
Shorted the system.

No spill protection and it shorted out a module for the AC unit and they need to replace.

No where does it say, "becareful drinks will ruin the system"

UGH expensive mistake!!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Really sucks. Some here might be tempted to disassemble the console themselves, but I wouldn't be one of them. And this won't likely be covered under warranty. Still, I'm sure you're scheduling a service visit and I'm sure your dealer can fix it for you.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA mercedes Benz
630.00 parts and labor Not as bad as I thought, it could have been a lot worse. This is a huge problem with these cars. There needs to be a warning that this is could be a potential problem and use the cup holder at your own risk. There is nothing in their that warns you.

Last edited by cszmommy; 09-02-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cszmommy
630.00 parts and labor Not as bad as I thought, it could have been a lot worse. This is a huge problem with these cars. There needs to be a warning that this is could be a potential problem and use the cup holder at your own risk. There is nothing in their that warns you.
I never have opened liquids in my cup holders, in any of my cars. A sealed bottle or container only is advisable to avoid an unfortunate situation as you had. Best advice I can give you is to go to your favorite Coffee Shop and buy a spill proof coffee mug.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 GLA250 4Matic, '13 GLK 4Matic (wife's), '01 Porsche Boxster S, 1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I never have opened liquids in my cup holders, in any of my cars. A sealed bottle or container only is advisable to avoid an unfortunate situation as you had. Best advice I can give you is to go to your favorite Coffee Shop and buy a spill proof coffee mug.
Agreed. I use the stainless MB logo coffee mug with fake woodgrain. It's spill proof and fits snugly in either of the two drink holders just forward of the arm rest.

I never use the deep "big gulp" drink container farther forward in the console. It looks risky at best. I wonder if that even exists in GLAs sold anywhere but USA? I'm thinking MB put that in just for Americans. I haven't looked at it closely, but would like to remove the round section inside and replace it with a rectangular section that would be more useful for storage.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Boxster986S
Agreed. I use the stainless MB logo coffee mug with fake woodgrain. It's spill proof and fits snugly in either of the two drink holders just forward of the arm rest.

I never use the deep "big gulp" drink container farther forward in the console. It looks risky at best. I wonder if that even exists in GLAs sold anywhere but USA? I'm thinking MB put that in just for Americans. I haven't looked at it closely, but would like to remove the round section inside and replace it with a rectangular section that would be more useful for storage.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out you can just pull up on it to remove it. You are likely correct the "Big Gulp - Big Holders" are just for us overweight Americans! Thankfully, I don't drink sugary beverages. If I have coffee in the car, it's in a spill proof mug, but mostly I just have a water bottle when I'm out and about. Screw the plastic lid back on and wham, no chance for a spill!