Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

Older guys in a GLA45?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLA45
Suggestion

Originally Posted by Mr. J
The GLA45 is a neat concept but the amount of space behind the hatch is just too small for my needs. I have a giant furry beast that resembles a dog and I must occasionally take him places or he will curse me with guilty stares.

Before anyone suggests that there is plenty of room back there for a dog, you need to know that my dog happens to weigh in at 140lbs

When I trade the grocery-getter in it will probably be for a 335 GT or maybe a Ford Edge Sport. If I had a little dog I would be drooling over a GLA45 right now.
Used Honda Element for the Dog, keep the '45 for fun.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:34 PM

GLA
Originally Posted by Mr. J
The GLA45 is a neat concept but the amount of space behind the hatch is just too small for my needs. I have a giant furry beast that resembles a dog and I must occasionally take him places or he will curse me with guilty stares.

Before anyone suggests that there is plenty of room back there for a dog, you need to know that my dog happens to weigh in at 140lbs

When I trade the grocery-getter in it will probably be for a 335 GT or maybe a Ford Edge Sport. If I had a little dog I would be drooling over a GLA45 right now.
i have bad news for you 335 GT is not gonna work either, ford edge might
Old 06-03-2016, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Jupiter Red
Used Honda Element for the Dog, keep the '45 for fun.
I already have a Ford Escape. I won't do NA 4cyl engines, to slow. And we only have room for 2 cars.

Last edited by Mr. J; 06-03-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by M-type
i have bad news for you 335 GT is not gonna work either, ford edge might
So is the 333GT cargo area too small? It looked pretty substantial but I've only seen one and only briefly. I thought cargo area for this model was just a little smaller than the 3 wagon.

Edge will easily work. He fits in the back of a '12 Escape right now but that is the minimum space required.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon
I'm a bit torn by this thread . . .

I'm 45. Wife's car: 2016 GL350 Bluetech, the family truckster.

Me? Jetta Sportwagen TDI that has to go back to the crusher. A fun, utilitarian wagon that can achieve 50 MPG on the highway. Mild APR tune. 6 speed manual. Sadly a cheater the US won't back off of (for another board . . .)

Been shopping around and had landed on the GLA45 - drove a 2016 and holy cow - what a blast. Beat out the Macan S for me - as it did for the Motortrend guys (and they compared it to the Macan Turbo!).

And yet . . . the wife hears the exhaust on the test drive and exclaims (between yelling at me to slow down while me and the sales guy are giggling like 20-somethings) "What are you, fast and furious or something?"

So . . . yeah, ouch, I get it. The thing reeks ricer. I totally get the OP's question - isn't this a young punk's car? I mean, red seat-belts? Really? The STI, Focus R comments indicate to me there's a big kernel of truth in this . . .

I want a fun drivers car that can haul my 2 school aged kids and/or 2 75 lb dogs and the options are, well, few. Love the Macan but it is just too much $ and less fun to drive. Audi SQ5 - meh. BMW X4 or anything - meh. 328 wagons - meh. Can't find a Volvo V60 R or Polestar around here to drive and our Volvo dealers are pretty bad.

Which brings us back to the GLA. Absolute hoot to drive and I am still amazed at the power output they are getting out of a turbo charged I-4 - just ridiculous. I think the correct answer is in this thread - if you love driving it - love driving it and forget the haters. Pretty sure that's what I'm going to do.

Unless somebody has a better idea for the 50-55K range, I'm all ears . I've come to the conclusion all I REALLY need is a back seat that can hold kids . . .
Old 08-28-2016, 09:45 PM

MERCEDES GLA45
You don't have to have red belts or the boy-racer exhaust, I have leather interior, black belts and standard exhaust (sport just makes noise, not power) a Renntech tune and now 426 hp. My wife has been driving it daily for the past few months while waiting for her new C43 and she has enjoyed it.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by Agingracefully
You don't have to have red belts or the boy-racer exhaust, I have leather interior, black belts and standard exhaust (sport just makes noise, not power) a Renntech tune and now 426 hp. My wife has been driving it daily for the past few months while waiting for her new C43 and she has enjoyed it.
True - the car I drove was Night black over black with the 'night' kit whatever that is. No red belts, but had the silly sport exhaust button that makes more noise - no thanks.

The Mountain Grey metallic is the one I'd like - they are scarce but some out there. Would love to find a great dealer for out-of-state fly-in deals, if anybody knows of one.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Too many
i am 54 and I have been driving the GLA45 for 2 months and I love it. My other DD E63 S have been sitting around in garage since I bought the GLA. It is really a fun car to drive.I bought it as a running around car, and I looked at most of the options mentioned in this thread, but I loved this car when I did test drive, and continue to love it.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Lotus Exige S, 1995 Acura NSX, 2008 Cayman S
I just bought a GLA 45 AMG for my 46th birthday and I love it. I had a CLA 45 AMG and this is much improved and more fun to drive.

I know they say the GLA 45 is a crossover but in my opinion its a hot hatch and competes with Subaru STi's and Golf R's. I think its a grown up STI hatchback IMO.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
I just turned 31 but 31 is the new 50 I hear. I just test drove this bad boy and I love it but it also vexes me a bit. I think i'm going to buy it. I don't know about that monstrous fin though.. it looks good at some angles and not so good at others. I asked the dealer if he would give me a discount if I got it with the fin on it and he didn't find that humorous.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Lotus Exige S, 1995 Acura NSX, 2008 Cayman S
Check out my latest Long Term review of my GLA 45 AMG here.

Subscribe for new videos 4 times a week. You will love the car. Get it.

thank you

Glenn
Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Is the sport exhaust a feature that can be turned on and off on all models? These new amg's seem to have literally every feature itemized so I don't know what the car comes with without reading a long document and the sales associate was cool but didn't know that much about the car. He also told me the suspension was not adjustable.. is this a feature that would have to be purchased or is switching between suspension modes standard. Also that is amazing that the renntech tune can add so much torque to the car... It is still under warranty with that?

Last edited by Dnasty; 03-24-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 AMG 2016
In the 2017 models you need to order the amg driver package to get the amg performance exhaust system (the one who produces the crackles and pops).
In my 2016 you can choose to disactivate the performance exhaust system in all driving modes.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:53 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by toobrokeforC63
In the 2017 models you need to order the amg driver package to get the amg performance exhaust system (the one who produces the crackles and pops).
In my 2016 you can choose to disactivate the performance exhaust system in all driving modes.
I am currently looking at the 2015.. are these virtually the same car as the 2016? I heard that some modification was made to the trans and higher hp but is the performance exhaust control still standard?
Old 03-26-2017, 12:25 AM

2010 e550 coupe
I am thinking of getting the 2015 gla amg and want to do the renntech (amazing performance improvement)... Will mercedes still cover this under warranty after the modification? Also on the 2015 gla can you turn off that "boyracer" exhaust... i personally like it but I don't wanna go to certain places with that noise.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45
to the Orig Poster - I am old.

I sold my 981 Boxster (6spd) and was looking at used 997.2's. If you know the details about these cars then I will not bore you. But for me buying a 5-8 year old car for more than i spent for this GLA was silly.

In the end for me, it was better for now to get my GLA45. I can fit my boards, snowboards, gold clubs, tennis ball machine or whatever into the car. It's like I got back my S4 Avant back with a warranty.

I miss my clutch pedal but quite happy for now.

I'll be back with the new 99x next up.

good luck.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:16 AM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rjpeaks
to the Orig Poster - I am old.

But for me buying a 5-8 year old car for more than i spent for this GLA was silly.

I'll be back with the new 99x next up.

good luck.
What a long strange trip it's been. I finally decided on a 997.2 Turbo for a DD...my mechanic and then my brother(both porsche guys) talked me into a 2012 C4S as a superior DD for my commute with zero highway miles. I shopped this car HARD for six months, and then over the space of a month was in on three vehicles, ALL of which had significant issues upon PPI. The total unwillingness of dealers to seriously address issues with a $70+k used car with under 35kmi is ridiculous. After the final frustration I happened to receive an email from MB regarding CPO's and 24hrs later I'd purchased a fully loaded 2016 gla45 cpo with 2200mi ($71k msrp) for $45k. it's currently on a truck somewhere in the SE.
I mean the porsche is a porsche, you know, it's a statement car(not many in my town)...my wife thinks that statement is "I'm a douchebag", so there was little worry about her stealing it to drive to work. It's a great driving car, maybe the best, but in just about all other areas it's a compromise.
The two best/practical cars I've ever had were my first brand new car an 89 gti, and a 97 saab 900T...both small, both hatchbacks. I guess I'm returning to my hatchback(small) roots. Eager to get rid of this pig of an E350....now I can look for an older 911 weekender.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:11 PM

2015 GLA45 AMG
Just turned 60!

Im enjoying my GLA, it's a grown up or mature Evo/Subie.
The following users liked this post:
Bloom_Phaze (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 02:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by schorert1
Is anyone over 50 driving these?
I keep circling back to this car. I had the first GLA45 reserved at my dealer to replace a small domestic SUV. We had owned ML's in the past and had(and still have) an E350(and an AMG63 convertible for summer).

I was generally happy with the test drive but found the car small and not very AMG sounding. With rumors of a GLE63 I decided to buy an ML550 CPO to hold me over. The ML550 is a great SUV, but it's big and heavy, and the gle63 even though a "coupe" is similar. My wife immediately seized the ML saying that the ride height and power was better for her 80mi round trip commute...which put me in her E350. The E class is a great car, but not exciting...and the wife has commanded "call the dealership and have them take the E away and bring us another SUV".

So now I'm car shopping again...but looking at what I want in a daily driver(empty nester) I don't need to haul anything anymore. AWD and I could buy a "fun" car(getting rid of the amg convertible).

So I'm actually looking at a used 911 4s or a new GLA45. The performance specs are actually similar and the GLA could carry 4 in a pinch, and actually groceries etc. It's ride height and seating position would make it better as a DD...but the 911 is a 911,a statement car, it drives like it's a part of you, it would "fit" when the wife drives it to the doctor's parking lot, more so than the burping gla. Or do I wait for vaporware again and see what a GLC63 looks like. firstworldproblems.

Any 50 somethings driving a GLA and loving it, or am I in the wrong place for a(nother) mid-life crisis car?
I’m 79 tomorrow and sold my 2019 Lexus NX300 for a 2016 GLA45!
Old 01-31-2022, 05:51 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Mercedes Benz AMG GLC 63s
Yes and…yes.

Had an A45 AMG GLA and it was an awesome car, although as soon as I got it I removed all badging except the AMG as well as the childish stickers down the side - mine was an Edition 1 so…no stickers thanks!😂

Really wish I’d been able to get the new GLA A45S model that’s available now as that thing is a F’ing BEAST of a car. Very reliable, can daily that thing anywhere and has very good utility for its size. The newer version is also better than the older model in every way both interior, exterior and the drivetrain.

For a bit more sound, put in a good catback system and any other bells’n’whistles’ ykur hearts desires. TBH, I’ve owned Porsche and the GLA is a more fun car with better practicality as well as being far more reliable then the Porsche you have in mind. Yet at the end of the day it’s your choice regardless of what either I or anyone says really. I’ve had both cars and I’d take the new GLA 45s over the 911 any day of the week. The interior feels far more premium over the Porsche dated and stubborn interior.

Originally Posted by schorert1
Is anyone over 50 driving these?
I keep circling back to this car. I had the first GLA45 reserved at my dealer to replace a small domestic SUV. We had owned ML's in the past and had(and still have) an E350(and an AMG63 convertible for summer).

I was generally happy with the test drive but found the car small and not very AMG sounding. With rumors of a GLE63 I decided to buy an ML550 CPO to hold me over. The ML550 is a great SUV, but it's big and heavy, and the gle63 even though a "coupe" is similar. My wife immediately seized the ML saying that the ride height and power was better for her 80mi round trip commute...which put me in her E350. The E class is a great car, but not exciting...and the wife has commanded "call the dealership and have them take the E away and bring us another SUV".

So now I'm car shopping again...but looking at what I want in a daily driver(empty nester) I don't need to haul anything anymore. AWD and I could buy a "fun" car(getting rid of the amg convertible).

So I'm actually looking at a used 911 4s or a new GLA45. The performance specs are actually similar and the GLA could carry 4 in a pinch, and actually groceries etc. It's ride height and seating position would make it better as a DD...but the 911 is a 911,a statement car, it drives like it's a part of you, it would "fit" when the wife drives it to the doctor's parking lot, more so than the burping gla. Or do I wait for vaporware again and see what a GLC63 looks like. firstworldproblems.

Any 50 somethings driving a GLA and loving it, or am I in the wrong place for a(nother) mid-life crisis car?

Last edited by Bloom_Phaze; 01-31-2022 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AMG GLA45
Red face I'm 73 and loving it.

I had a 911 GTS, then an Audi RS5 and long before them just about everything you can imagine, from a Type 507 BMW, GT350 H and on and on. This car is just right for us now, fast, comfortable, roomy for our small group and still sporty enough. Never too old....BTW, I have Dachshunds
Old 09-07-2022, 12:01 AM
paj

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
17 C43 AMG
54 and loving ever minute

Previously owned 17 C43 coupe and then a 18 Macan GTS w/Cobb tune. Totally and completely love this vehicle. In this one for the long haul!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:26 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by paj
Previously owned 17 C43 coupe and then a 18 Macan GTS w/Cobb tune. Totally and completely love this vehicle. In this one for the long haul!
Wow that’s great. You enjoy this more than the macan?
Old 09-07-2022, 02:09 AM
paj

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
17 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Dnasty
Wow that’s great. You enjoy this more than the macan?
Actually yes, smaller more nimble easier to drive, park and better fuel economy, well if I can stay out of race mode every time I run an errand. Haha lol!
Old 09-16-2022, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting long thread. We had a GLA45 AMG in 2015. My wife wasn't thrilled, even though she picked it out as her DD. Followed by an Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Porsche, Mazda and (drum roll please) a 2021 GLA45 AMG.

On the other side, since 2015, two 911s, a Boxster S, a Miata RF, and now a Boxster GTS. I autocross and track the Porsches.

I will also autocross and track the GLA45 AMG.

Age is only a number.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Older guys in a GLA45?