GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Noisy Windscreen Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
My A250 had blade chatter straight after i put a water repellent on the glass.. I'll never make that mistake again.. I ended up cleaning it down numerous times with isopropyl. It still chattered a bit after the clean down, but not as bad. I ended up squirting with the windscreen washers when ever it chattered.. Probably took a Winter before the water repellent was completely removed.. I have silky smooth wipers again.. I wont be putting ANYTHING on Mercedes glass ever again..
Old 11-20-2016, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
GLC Wiper Problems

I picked up my brand new GLC 300 in the US in January 2016. From the very beginning, the wiper juddered. I took it back six times now. First few times, they just cleaned windshield and changed wipers, but it didn't work. After several months, they ordered new wiper arms and replaced them, but it still shuddered. Yesterday, they replaced with a completely new windshield made in the US (the original windshield was from Germany) and new wiper blades. Today we went in to pick it up, but it still had the same problem. They tried adjusting the wiper blade angle again, still had the problem. Then, they used a special micro-abrasive cleaner for the windshield, and it seemed to help. But, we need to see if it remains trouble free now. I'll post again after a month to let everyone know if the problem returns or not.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Hi Flower,
I feel your pain. We have been lucky, however a few of us Aussies have had the same issue.
It's a long shot, but I have read on several different international forums where GLC's are sold, that when the wiper motor has been replaced, all seems better.
Worth a shot if it's still bad. I do use a water additive for "bugs off". It only helps in a small way, you cannot rely on it and the test is when wipers on auto, with light mist, or heavy rain.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
dizneyman (07-03-2017)
Old 11-20-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by flower
I picked up my brand new GLC 300 in the US in January 2016. From the very beginning, the wiper juddered. I took it back six times now. First few times, they just cleaned windshield and changed wipers, but it didn't work. After several months, they ordered new wiper arms and replaced them, but it still shuddered. Yesterday, they replaced with a completely new windshield made in the US (the original windshield was from Germany) and new wiper blades. Today we went in to pick it up, but it still had the same problem. They tried adjusting the wiper blade angle again, still had the problem. Then, they used a special micro-abrasive cleaner for the windshield, and it seemed to help. But, we need to see if it remains trouble free now. I'll post again after a month to let everyone know if the problem returns or not.
Very similar to my experience, except for windshield replacement. My last conversation with service dept manager indicated MB was aware of the problem and collecting cases to move forward ... to what, no one knows.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:49 AM

I've taken my GLC in three times now for wiper chatter.

The first time, they said there was debris in the area where the wipers rest, and they cleaned it and said it should be fine (that was when the car was maybe a month old).

The second time and third time, they replaced the blades, and that fixed the problem for maybe a month each time.

This morning, it was drizzling on the way to work, and the wipers were chattering terribly. I turned them off and used them with a squirt of wiper fluid every so often, which seems to lubricate them so they don't chatter.

This car has been into the service center three times this month for brake screeching (which is finally fixed), and frankly I'm some mix of too annoyed and too embarrassed to take it back again for yet another problem. Is this worth taking to another dealer and having them give it another look?

I read somewhere that Bosch wiper blades will improve the situation. Are those available for the GLC, or only for other models?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
no more
This is so wrong. Juddering blades was one item on my long list of reasons for rejecting my GLC 43 for a full refund. Particularly evident at the bottom of the driver side blade as it moved to the vertical. The best they could do was get a chap in pigeon English to say they had removed dirt and all was now fine. Of course it wasn't. I had bigger battles so left this one.
(I'm still lurking on the forum as I'm open minded to re-order, but is this )
Old 11-30-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFactor
This is so wrong. Juddering blades was one item on my long list of reasons for rejecting my GLC 43 for a full refund. Particularly evident at the bottom of the driver side blade as it moved to the vertical. The best they could do was get a chap in pigeon English to say they had removed dirt and all was now fine. Of course it wasn't. I had bigger battles so left this one.
(I'm still lurking on the forum as I'm open minded to re-order, but is this )
First Mercedes vehicle. It's getting bad when the Mrs. asks if we can take our Hyundai Santa Fe today because it's raining... Luckily in our area, there are about five Mercedes dealers. I'm going to try another one. If still not satisfied, I'm going to write to MBUSA. It's just disappointing.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
Meh. I have just 380 miles on mine and it has been wet too. Noticed this morning my wipers started to judder too, the previous days the wipers worked normally.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by edofloat
Meh. I have just 380 miles on mine and it has been wet too. Noticed this morning my wipers started to judder too, the previous days the wipers worked normally.
Good luck and enjoy the free coffee while you wait for them to attempt to fix it!

I've got visit #3 for this issue set for tomorrow. Per some of the suggestions on here, I'm going to ask them to use the M-B windshield cleaner to polish it up and see if that works.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
My wipers were working flawlessly. So as my GLC was approaching its first A check and knowing wiper blade replacement was part the check I decided to instruct the service dept. to not replace them...but I forgot (happens a lot lately).

Upon perusing the invoice when picking up the vehicle and realizing the blades had been replaced, I thought, oh crap. Sure hope the wiper operation has not been altered. Thankfully new blades had no effect on the still flawless operation.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 11-30-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:35 PM

Has anyone successfully fit non-OEM blades on their GLC? Various auto parts websites are saying that a generic 22" blade should fit on both the driver and the passenger side.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
Originally Posted by Redcat255
Good luck and enjoy the free coffee while you wait for them to attempt to fix it!

I've got visit #3 for this issue set for tomorrow. Per some of the suggestions on here, I'm going to ask them to use the M-B windshield cleaner to polish it up and see if that works.
I think I'll contact the dealer and see if they used MB cleaner before delivery, they worked perfectly. I'm 135 miles from the dealer, so not anxious to make multiple trips for this issue. Using the MB cleaner in the middle of winter isn't exactly optimal, especially when it gets cold, not an option at -20F.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:43 PM

ec_nova for the win.

Went in today to a different dealer, they found a "fairly thick coat of wax" on the windshield and cleaned it with the special MB windshield cleaner, per a TSB on this issue that apparently exists.

It did not rain today, but fingers crossed that all will work normally when it does.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Redcat255
ec_nova for the win.

Went in today to a different dealer, they found a "fairly thick coat of wax" on the windshield and cleaned it with the special MB windshield cleaner, per a TSB on this issue that apparently exists.

It did not rain today, but fingers crossed that all will work normally when it does.
Would love to know more about this TSB possibility...my dealer isn't aware of one.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ddmccormack
Would love to know more about this TSB possibility...my dealer isn't aware of one.
No specifics listed on my invoice other than to say they cleaned "multiple times" with MB windshield cleaner, but my advisor told me that he "found a service bulletin on it" when I picked up the car.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
It seems that someone at MB has tumbled to the fact that using Bon Ami on the windshield can help in some lost cause cases. See this recent thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ing-issue.html
Old 01-06-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC220D Exclusive

Heck!!!!..You guys must have got all the GLC's with faults...
Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 PM

2017 GLC300 4MATIC
I just got mine last November and I noticed this wiper issue after the trip to Tahoe last weekend. I did use rain-x before the trip and I guess it might be the cause.

However, I don't see why we customers should remember that we can not drive thru auto wash (to avoid foreign agents) or avoid using something like rain-x. I had no such problem with my previous Lexus RX.

Not to mention that I can not find any compatible non-OEM wipers for the GLC??? If MB wants to use a special wiper attachment type, its fine, just make the wiper flawless so we would be thinking about replacing it.

I really enjoy GLC, but because of this wiper issue, I might not be buying this car after the lease ends.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL500, GLC300
i have had no problem with my wipers and have brought it through a auto car wash. it seems that the rain-x is the big problem.
The following users liked this post:
BCRCornet (01-23-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Evan Chu
I just got mine last November and I noticed this wiper issue after the trip to Tahoe last weekend. I did use rain-x before the trip and I guess it might be the cause.

However, I don't see why we customers should remember that we can not drive thru auto wash (to avoid foreign agents) or avoid using something like rain-x. I had no such problem with my previous Lexus RX.

Not to mention that I can not find any compatible non-OEM wipers for the GLC??? If MB wants to use a special wiper attachment type, its fine, just make the wiper flawless so we would be thinking about replacing it.

I really enjoy GLC, but because of this wiper issue, I might not be buying this car after the lease ends.
Lucky you, with a lease! We purchased this one, and really should have considered a lease first, as this is our first Mercedes.

I also looked for alternate wipers, and it's quite ridiculous that Mercedes decided to go with yet another umpteenth as-of-now proprietary variation of windshield wiper attachment.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
For those of you think about using Bon Ami on the windshield, note there are 2 versions. Read this:
http://www.bonami.com/index.php/prod...1886-formula-p
Old 02-02-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
FWIW, I had the same issue on my Avalanche, and I used a product called Glass Scrub I had laying around. I bought it for removing hard water spots left from the PO on the pano glass on my E63. Worked like a charm on both my E and the Avalanche wiper chattering issue. Hasn't returned in almost a year. I'm sure, however, it is probably more expensive than Bon Ami.

Can't say what it will do for the GLC issue. Still waiting for delivery of my '43.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:19 PM

2016 GLA250
GLA250 2016

Same issue on my GLA250!! Starting to feel like a crazy person because dealership says they can't replicate problem. I've taken and shown them multiple videos and been to dealership 4x

Originally Posted by marchnat
Hello,

I am also having the same issue with a 2016 GLC 300 in the US. I've been to the dealer 6 times and have had multiple calls with MBUSA representatives. So far all they've done is replace the wipers and polished the windshield. All were temporary fixes.

They claim the jutter is due to a dirty windshield which I don't believe as I have 2 other cars parked in the same location with no issues. They also replaced the wipers while it was raining and I made it 10 feet out of their service bay before the issue came back. At that point the windshield was clean and the wipers are new.

I'll post any updates I get. So far I've been dealing with this for 3 months and I'm glad to know I'm not alone.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Ask them to replace the wiper motor, either new, or off one of their demo cars that work and have no juddering. This helped some other owners, maybe just coincidence, but happy owners now.
Another suggestion earlier in a 'thread' was a cleaning solution with Bon ami powder and/ or super fine steel wool to clean the glass properly.
At this stage, nothing to loose ?
Good luck
Old 02-17-2017, 09:19 PM

C204
same issue here

hello, i have the same issue with my merc wipers, i have c204 coupe cdi 2014. wipers was shaking and making noises.

first, i thought the wipers is faulty, so i replace new wipers from bosch, after a few good wipes, it's start to shake and making noise same like the old one.

then i thought maybe because it's aftermarket parts, so i go bought a pair of genuine mercedes wipers for $185. surprisingly, the same issue.

anyone please shares if there's any solutions. it's really annoying when driving in rain.

thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noisy Windscreen Wipers