GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

How good is your internet connection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB GLC 300
How good is your internet connection?

Still having problems connecting consistently with the MB apps. Seems to work about 50% of the time. mbrace technical support elevated my issue to Engineering who determined that everything was OK on their end and that my car was receiving signals OK. Took to dealership who could not determine why I'm having a problem. Am I the only one with this issue? Is anyone else having a problem connecting with the MB apps? For the recod, I'm in suburban Philadelphia, and cell phone reception is always decent.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
So, far not a problem here in Los Angeles, CA.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:06 PM

MB GLC 300
I'm interested in hearing from other parts of the country, too. Am I the only one having trouble connecting to the MB Apps?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
Is it a wifi hotspot as well? Can you connect a laptop and do a bandwidth speedtest like speedtest.net?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:28 AM

GLC 300
That's a great idea. Anyone been able to setup your GLC as a hotspot? What is the procedure? I use speedtest.net all the time.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 300
Turn on wifi under system settings and then connect via one of the options (depends on your phone or laptop). See this video for details.

Going to be the slow 3G connection though.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:01 PM

GLC 300
It was not long ago when 3G was considered really fast.!
Old 04-02-2016, 04:21 PM

Mercedes GLC 250d
Originally Posted by cyber3d
I'd imagine 3g would still be fairly satisfactory for most web browsing .. should be 1mbs download surely? Only an issue when you try to stream.

Anyhow, 3g will vastly differ depending on carrier so let's get some speedtest.net scores shared!!!
Old 04-02-2016, 05:00 PM

MB GLC 300
I've been able to set up my GLC as a WiFi hotspot, but that's not what the MB Apps use. I believe that the MB Apps use the same cellular signal that your car uses when it calls mbrace. I'm not sure what cellular service the MB Apps use, but even in an area where my ATT cellular signal is very strong, I can't aleays connect with the MB Apps.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 300
Originally Posted by cyber3d
True enough! I remember the days of dial up, waiting for the handshake to finish and waiting for websites to load afterwards. Heck I can remember navigating web pages (text only) using the tab button before using Mosaic as a browser. Oh how far we've come!
Old 10-02-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 GLC3004M P02
Originally Posted by doctor4kydz
For the recod, I'm in suburban Philadelphia, and cell phone reception is always decent.
Im in the Baltimore area and having about the same success as you. Haven't been to the dealer yet but that's on my list.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by doctor4kydz
I've been able to set up my GLC as a WiFi hotspot, but that's not what the MB Apps use. I believe that the MB Apps use the same cellular signal that your car uses when it calls mbrace. I'm not sure what cellular service the MB Apps use, but even in an area where my ATT cellular signal is very strong, I can't aleays connect with the MB Apps.
I know this post I quoted is a few months old, but this may be on to something. I live in Metro Detroit and usually the mb abs work, but not the quickest. And then driving around or across the state, the signal had been known to drop out. I talked with MB once about who supplies the wifi and they told me it was Verizon. We have Verizon service for our phones, and we've had good phone service but spotty wifi through the vehicle service. I don't understand why this is the case.

I wonder if I read somewhere that the wifi is only 3g and not 4g. Maybe this is the cause for the difference I see with wifi I get through my phone vs the wifi I get through the vehicle. Anyone know?

TIA
Old 10-04-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
like a maniac
Just as a side note for anyone keeping score, using your cell phone or smartphone as a basis for what the coverage should be in your area isn't apples to apples. It's not like your smartphone is the same device in your MB receiving the 3G signal in your area and broadcasting the SSID. It'll give you an idea or some context but it doesn't mean you should be getting the same speed, bandwidth, or connection stability in your MB as you would on your smartphone (regardless of carrier, of course).
Old 10-04-2016, 01:53 PM

Mercedes GLC 250d
So, to summarise, there is no 'internet' connectivity built into the MB. It uses your existing cell phone connection (USB / Bluetooth) to connect to the internet (once you accept the connection from the car). So if your cell phone coverage is rubbish, then your app performance will be too. But it's your issue not MB

An interesting side note here, I believe the car has an inbuilt cell for SOS calls. In the UK 999 / 911 / 112 emergency calls are routed regardless of cell phone contract so, even if it appears you have no service on your phone, you'll be put through on the back of another carrier free of charge.

So, if you have a serious enough accident the car will always call the emergency services automatically. (i.e. if the air bags are deployed). Another comforting feature of the GLC.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by Mikeyking
So, to summarise, there is no 'internet' connectivity built into the MB. It uses your existing cell phone connection (USB / Bluetooth) to connect to the internet (once you accept the connection from the car). So if your cell phone coverage is rubbish, then your app performance will be too. But it's your issue not MB

An interesting side note here, I believe the car has an inbuilt cell for SOS calls. In the UK 999 / 911 / 112 emergency calls are routed regardless of cell phone contract so, even if it appears you have no service on your phone, you'll be put through on the back of another carrier free of charge.

So, if you have a serious enough accident the car will always call the emergency services automatically. (i.e. if the air bags are deployed). Another comforting feature of the GLC.
That is not the case in US. The vehicle itself has internet connectivity. It works without having a cell phone in the vehicle. I'm not following your point, unless the US is different.. which it may well be.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:23 PM

Mercedes GLC 250d
Originally Posted by RedwinGV
That is not the case in US. The vehicle itself has internet connectivity. It works without having a cell phone in the vehicle. I'm not following your point, unless the US is different.. which it may well be.
So, therefore, the US must be different in that MB are paying the cell service for the car internet (which is impressive). In the UK you have to have a tethered phone for internet connection, otherwise you get no apps.

However, you can still use Mercedes.Me / Connect to track your car etc. and also, as I said, the SOS function which uses the inbuilt SIM card for cell service. But all you can use the inbuilt SIM card in the UK for is Mercedes.Me app & SOS.... not general wifi connectivity.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:07 PM

like a maniac
No, you're correct. The USDM 2016 model does have a 3G hotspot if you so option it with the mBrace Entertain package (which require(d) mBrace Secure too).
Old 10-04-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
Originally Posted by Witch
No, you're correct. The USDM 2016 model does have a 3G hotspot if you so option it with the mBrace Entertain package (which require(d) mBrace Secure too).
I see on 2017 (US GLC) it lists this on the build sheet: 362 HERMES Communications module LTE

So, does a 2017 run LTE or 3G? Given that the Mbrace entertainment option (which includes WiFi hotspot) is $18 a month makes me think the 2017 runs at 3G speeds which explains the price and the fact there is no data cap.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:05 PM

like a maniac
Originally Posted by edofloat
I see on 2017 (US GLC) it lists this on the build sheet: 362 HERMES Communications module LTE

So, does a 2017 run LTE or 3G? Given that the Mbrace entertainment option (which includes WiFi hotspot) is $18 a month makes me think the 2017 runs at 3G speeds which explains the price and the fact there is no data cap.
Technically LTE is 4G, not 3G. 3G is just 3G; The term "3G" in the context of cellular data networks isn't supposed to be interchangeable with 4G or LTE unless the carrier is using LTE in the wrong way to describe their network.

I wouldn't assume just because it's called "362 HERMES Communications module LTE" that it actually is LTE though. And for the data cap, I sincerely doubt it's unlimited for $18 a month. I would contact MBUSA to confirm both honestly if you're someone interested in buying that package/option. Even if it is "unlimited" you can bet there's going to be a few disclaimers or asterisks right next to the word "unlimited."
Old 10-04-2016, 08:25 PM

like a maniac
I know this post I quoted is a few months old, but this may be on to something. I live in Metro Detroit and usually the mb abs work, but not the quickest. And then driving around or across the state, the signal had been known to drop out. I talked with MB once about who supplies the wifi and they told me it was Verizon. We have Verizon service for our phones, and we've had good phone service but spotty wifi through the vehicle service. I don't understand why this is the case.

I wonder if I read somewhere that the wifi is only 3g and not 4g. Maybe this is the cause for the difference I see with wifi I get through my phone vs the wifi I get through the vehicle. Anyone know?

TIA
I don't have the actual answer I know you're asking for but I would like to help clarify some things.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...s/MY16_GLC.pdf

MBUSA's PDF shows, at least for 2016, it is 3G. No information on the carrier though. You may want to send an e-mail to MBUSA. A quick search and look at the 2016 GLC COMAND manual doesn't help unfortunately (located here: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...lass=GLC%20SUV).

One of the reasons your service you receive with your smartphone may be different from what you receive with the car is because of the antennae either one uses to receive and transmit data. Of course that's assuming (as you already clarified though) you should be comparing both the device and the car on the same carrier's network (Verizon's 3G on the smartphone and Verizon's 3G from the car). And unless you can force your smartphone to strictly only receive and send data via the 3G network on the same carrier, it's just apples to oranges either way.

Not sure if it will help but any wireless communications service provider (or carrier) that's worth the money they charge their customers should be able to see what towers your device (or car in this case) is connecting to if not uses the most. They should be able to see what towers are experiencing issues and what services are affected (3G, 4G/LTE, voice, etc.). Whether they tell you or not is up to their company policy though, of course.

Just like with anything in regards to a service provided, your mileage may vary based on location and many other factors. That means speed, bandwidth, and connection stability depend on what towers you're connected to and who else is using those towers. Sometimes the carrier may impose a quality of service bottleneck if there's enough traffic on that network/tower in that area.

Last edited by Witch; 10-04-2016 at 08:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RedwinGV (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 PM

I don't have the actual answer I know you're asking for but I would like to help clarify some things.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...s/MY16_GLC.pdf

MBUSA's PDF shows, at least for 2016, it is 3G. No information on the carrier though. You may want to send an e-mail to MBUSA. A quick search and look at the 2016 GLC COMAND manual doesn't help unfortunately (located here: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...lass=GLC%20SUV).

One of the reasons your service you receive with your smartphone may be different from what you receive with the car is because of the antennae either one uses to receive and transmit data. Of course that's assuming (as you already clarified though) you should be comparing both the device and the car on the same carrier's network (Verizon's 3G on the smartphone and Verizon's 3G from the car). And unless you can force your smartphone to strictly only receive and send data via the 3G network on the same carrier, it's just apples to oranges either way.

Not sure if it will help but any wireless communications service provider (or carrier) that's worth the money they charge their customers should be able to see what towers your device (or car in this case) is connecting to if not uses the most. They should be able to see what towers are experiencing issues and what services are affected (3G, 4G/LTE, voice, etc.). Whether they tell you or not is up to their company policy though, of course.

Just like with anything in regards to a service provided, your mileage may vary based on location and many other factors. That means speed, bandwidth, and connection stability depend on what towers you're connected to and who else is using those towers. Sometimes the carrier may impose a quality of service bottleneck if there's enough traffic on that network/tower in that area.
In the terms of service guide, it shows the partner is Verizon. Also noticed they will assist with repossession...guess if you finance or lease you better pay up.

https://mbrace.mbusa.com/static/pdf/...of_Service.pdf
Old 10-04-2016, 08:40 PM

like a maniac
In the terms of service guide, it shows the partner is Verizon. Also noticed they will assist with repossession...guess if you finance or lease you better pay up.

https://mbrace.mbusa.com/static/pdf/...of_Service.pdf
I personally have great luck with Verizon in Colorado. I use it as my smartphone carrier and the phone itself can act as a hotspot. Obviously it's not unlimited though and even though I have great 4G LTE coverage anywhere I go in Colorado, I don't know how their 3G network is in Colorado. I would expect that Verizon's 3G network takes a back seat to their 4G LTE and obviously their eventual 5G network. When I say "takes a back seat" I mean in regards to 3G being a lower priority for repairs, upkeep, and maintenance compared to 4G and 5G.

Then again I don't what MB uses for the antennae (for either the 3G or 4G-enabled GLC's) and if they're the cheap kind or if they're the ones you find in $750+ smartphones.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:05 PM

Even if it is "unlimited" you can bet there's going to be a few disclaimers or asterisks right next to the word "unlimited."
You were correct, odd how they say typical user will not experience a data limit then go on to say it is not unlimited. Perhaps they are just throttling it somehow.

Found it in the mbrace FAQs:

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...0814_KH_v2.pdf

WiFi is included in the cost of the mbrace Entertain package. A subscription for mbrace Connect and Secure are prerequisites
for mbrace Entertain. WiFi is designed such that the typical user will not experience a data limit. However, the service does not
provide unlimited data and limits may be placed on individual accounts.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:03 PM

like a maniac
You were correct, odd how they say typical user will not experience a data limit then go on to say it is not unlimited. Perhaps they are just throttling it somehow.

Found it in the mbrace FAQs:

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...0814_KH_v2.pdf

WiFi is included in the cost of the mbrace Entertain package. A subscription for mbrace Connect and Secure are prerequisites
for mbrace Entertain. WiFi is designed such that the typical user will not experience a data limit. However, the service does not
provide unlimited data and limits may be placed on individual accounts.
"Typical" is stealership speak for "everyone but you." The "typical" user, to MB in this context, most likely would be someone who doesn't even USE the connection to begin with, lol.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:01 PM

So I get .94 Mbps download and 7.47 Mbps upload while parked. Internet radio just locks up and doesn't function. Did notice when I use the internet on the Command system and go to the Google site (mobile) it says www.google.de so MB is routing data through Germany in the command. But my iPhone says it uses some site in Kansas when I checked the bandwidth. The requirement to subscribe to mbrace Secure for $199 a year then pay another $18 a month for entertainment (that is not present) and WiFi is a complete waste. The take rate must be abysmal at best.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How good is your internet connection?