GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Mirror Adjustment Button Lights Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 300
Mirror Adjustment Button Lights Up

So here's one I haven't been able to puzzle out by checking the manual or Google. There are times I've noticed that one of the mirror adjustment buttons is lit up when I haven't touched it.

The first time I noticed it is after parking on the street and the left button was lit. Other times I've noticed it after backing out of my garage and the right button is lit. I park on the right side of my garage so the wall is to the right of the car which may be why the right side button was lit, but that does not explain the time I noticed the left one was on because that time I was parked on the street without any walls nearby.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2016, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
The mirror switch is suppose to light up. It signals that mirror will dip/ change position when car is placed in reverse. Both my GLC and C class do this. Mine is set to do this on the passenger side.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Agreed, but there's more to it than this. I found the fact that the passenger side mirror changed position when reversing often frustrating, and discussed it with my dealer how to deal with this. He pointed out that if I press the driver's side mirror button, then the passenger's side mirror resumed its normal position.

In fact, both mirrors have a normal position and a reversing position. When you select reverse, the side that was last active when you reverse moves to the reversing position. If you adjust that mirror at this point, the position is remembered, and that's the position the mirror moves to when next you reverse.

Most people will only ever see the passenger mirror go up and down. But if you do as my dealer suggested and pressed the button for the driver's mirror, that's the mirror that's selected when next you reverse. If you want the passenger's side mirror to drop, then you need to press that button. Only one side at a time goes into the reverse position, and any adjustments made a remembered, and the side last selected is also remembered.

At new, the driver's mirror's memorised reversing position is up, but a UK driver for example driving on the continent may find it useful to adjust its reversing position to down.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 300
I've disabled the reverse mirror function on my car (or rather I just have it set the same for reverse as in drive) but I guess it still lights up. I don't really need it since I have the 360 camera and parking assist.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
I agree it's not often helpful, but the 360 camera isn't enough to prevent scraping those expensive rims in my experience, and parking assist doesn't always activate. (And I'm not wild about the way that active parking assist sometimes wants to spin the steering wheel while the car is stationary.) So I sometimes use the drop mirror. I just press that mirror button when I need it.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Had noticed that this light comes on in my car but didn't know why!!

Haven't noticed my mirrors move when reverse is selected....presume I need to program as outlined above!