GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Calling all Brits - the Limey thread.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 220d Sport
Calling all Brits - the Limey thread.

Greetings everybody from across the Pond. So pleased to have found a Board with a GLC sub-forum, I've been lurking ever since I ordered my 220d Sport back in December. My baby has now been born in Bremen and arrives in a mere 3 weeks so hopefully I'll have something to contribute to the forum.

Just thought I'd open a thread for other Brits to make themselves known or perhaps post more relevant UK-specific problems, tips or advice. We do have an MB Club UK forum here in Blighty but, alas, no X253 section. Be advised most problems, tips and advice will revolve around the availability of tea or the maintenance of a stiff upper lip

Here's the spec for my 220d Sport:
Designo Hyacinth Red Metallic Paint
Premium Plus Package
Driver Assist Package
Off-road Package (18-inch wheels)
Air Suspension
360 degree Camera

Total £41,247 On The Road which represents an 8% discount off net price (ex-VAT) via car broker Orange Wheels.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Welcome.....good to have someone on board who knows what petrol is and where a boot and bonnet are. Maybe even an odd chat about rugby!!
Old 05-24-2016, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
I say chaps, must be time for Tea and cake. Welcome aboard Toobad
Old 05-24-2016, 04:21 AM

GLC 220d Sport
I'm going to take this opportunity to apologise to our colonial cousins. When the pilgrims left Plymouth for the New World they didn't load enough sacks containing the letter 'U' and because of a shortage of the letter 'S' they took extra sacks containing the letter 'Z'. And that's why today there are "motorized vehicles in a variety of colors"
Old 05-24-2016, 07:19 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Yes and welcome to you all Base UK like the rest of you.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Welcome Brits from the Aussie thread.
Nice to compare RHD Veh versions. Would be interested to see what build differences. In Oz we do not have acoustic glass in our doors like our Pacific cousins.
Cheers
Old 05-24-2016, 08:30 AM

GLC 220d Sport
Well it really irks me that us Poms don't get the option of the 250 petrol engine. I think a low annual mileage is better suited to a petrol engine. I believe you guys are forced into sidesteps and 360 degree cameras as standard fitment but here they are optioned. I suppose you need them as you are driving upsidedown all the time
Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Toobad, ordered in December.....delivery 3 weeks! That's a hell of a delivery wait!!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 AM

GLC 220d Sport
Yes, technically I did place my order in early December but the order is not officially ratified until the dealer's stock controller secures a production slot. Unfortunately Bremen weren't giving the robots any Hyacinth Red paint to put in their spray guns at that time. It wasn't until 24 February that production slots for May were released showing red paint combined with a black ash interior again. Allowing for shipping, my car will tentatively be at the dealer on 9 or 10 June. I'm now counting down the sleeps until it arrives.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Hopefully worth waiting for!!
Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Originally Posted by decorily
Welcome.....good to have someone on board who knows what petrol is and where a boot and bonnet are. Maybe even an odd chat about rugby!!
Hey, I watch Wheeler Dealers!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jaguar XFS & wife GLC250 AMG Line Premium Plus
Welcome aboard Toobad from a fellow Brit.
That's a hell of a wait but I bet there aren't many GLC vehicles in your part of the country?
Well worth the wait
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:29 PM

GLC 220d Sport
Cheers Greg and thanks for the steer regarding the German stainless steel boot lip protector in your other thread.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 220d Sport Premium Plus/Offroad pkg
Just checking in here. Our order is almost identical to yours, Toobad: same broker and deal too, although just ordinary paint on it. Bit worried about your timescale, as we ordered in March and have an estimated delivery date of the end of June. Oh well, it will turn up eventually I suppose.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:07 AM

GLC 220d Sport
Hi Martyn. Actually the timescale is not a whole lot different to yours. The fly in my ointment was the red paint. Although I paid a deposit in December my order couldn't be loaded on to the system until 24 Feb because that was when they released the slots for the next run of red cars. In reality it will be about 15 weeks from ordering to arrival at the dealer's showroom.

Incidentally, did they upsell you with their £400 Supagard paint treatment? I declined it and have bought a dual action orbital polisher and will do my own new car paint correction and protection. I hate the way you get free orange peel with every new car there days. That's Health and Safety progress for you!
Old 05-25-2016, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Toobad
Hi Martyn. Actually the timescale is not a whole lot different to yours. The fly in my ointment was the red paint. Although I paid a deposit in December my order couldn't be loaded on to the system until 24 Feb because that was when they released the slots for the next run of red cars. In reality it will be about 15 weeks from ordering to arrival at the dealer's showroom.

Incidentally, did they upsell you with their £400 Supagard paint treatment? I declined it and have bought a dual action orbital polisher and will do my own new car paint correction and protection. I hate the way you get free orange peel with every new car there days. That's Health and Safety progress for you!
I resisted the extra sales pressure and will arrange my own GAP insurance and I've lined up a local detailer to give it a full GTechniq treatment inside and out as soon as it arrives. As a pensioner, I have time to do a weekly twin bucket wash thereafter but I wouldn't trust myself taking a power tool to it! 15 weeks does sound more like it - that's one advantage of picking a boring grey then.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
Welcome, enjoy the ride!
Old 05-25-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
Less than two months to go - starting to see a few more GLCs on the roads 'darn sarf' in the UK - want to get mine now....
Old 05-25-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jaguar XFS & wife GLC250 AMG Line Premium Plus
Originally Posted by MartynW
I resisted the extra sales pressure and will arrange my own GAP insurance and I've lined up a local detailer to give it a full GTechniq treatment inside and out as soon as it arrives. As a pensioner, I have time to do a weekly twin bucket wash thereafter but I wouldn't trust myself taking a power tool to it! 15 weeks does sound more like it - that's one advantage of picking a boring grey then.

Hi Martyn,
Just as a heads up, I got a great deal on GAP insurance for my wife's GLC.
Paid £147 for three years Total loss Gap insurance @ Insurance 123.
In addition paid £399 for tyre and alloy insurance for three years.
Cost for dealership GAP was equivalent to the above two combined.
Always shop around
Old 05-25-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300 Polar White/Beige
I just wanted to say that I really like your license plates better than the ones we have in the US. Goes better with the GLC lol
Old 05-26-2016, 01:41 AM

GLC 220d Sport
British licence (note the correct spelling ) plates conform to a standard layout. The first group of 2 letters indicate where in the UK the vehicle was first registered, the next group of 2 numbers tell you which year and which 6-month segment of that year the car was registered as new and the final group of 3 letters are arbitrarily assigned from a block of letters issued to the car dealer. The age designators change in March and September so the newest cars currently have a 16 on their licence plates - the 1 means new since March and the 6 means registered in 2016. From September new cars will show 66 on their plate. The change of plate in March and September causes a spike in car sales as people hold off their purchase so they can sport the very latest licence plate. At one time the year identifier was only changed once every year but it was decided this skewed car sales so dramatically and caused huge logistical problems in the supply chain so we adopted the current twice-yearly system.

Of course there is a big market for personal plates from people who want to disguise the age of their car or just display something a bit different. You cannot obtain a plate that makes your car look younger than it actually is but there are many companies who trade in desirable plates including the Government's own licencing department who hold back plates perceived to have additional value because the character combination forms an approximation for a word or phrase or anything meaningful to a particular person like their initials or name. These plates are priced according to their desirability and can be then assigned to your vehicle either from new or to replace an existing conventional plate.
Click here for UK Government Licence Plate Sales
Old 05-26-2016, 05:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
I need to get roof bars for the GLC. Has anyone in the UK bought them? How much were they and did you get them direct from the MB dealer or somewhere else?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:17 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
You lot of luck lads .Here am i , with this old 27 year old 260E , screwing my butt off to keep it on the road .And i read about you lads waiting for a new car to come. Enjoy it.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeyking
I need to get roof bars for the GLC. Has anyone in the UK bought them? How much were they and did you get them direct from the MB dealer or somewhere else?
I haven't purchased a pair yet, though I have put these on my eBay watchlist, in case Santa wants to know what I would like for Christmas! Looks like a shade over £80 delivered. It would be interesting to know what a dealer would ask for them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3018591886....N36.S1.R1.TR3

The supplier has a FAQ - translated here (I hope):
https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...-text=&act=url

Last edited by MartynW; 05-26-2016 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added FAQ link
Old 05-26-2016, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300 Polar White/Beige
Originally Posted by Toobad
British licence (note the correct spelling ) plates conform to a standard layout. The first group of 2 letters indicate where in the UK the vehicle was first registered, the next group of 2 numbers tell you which year and which 6-month segment of that year the car was registered as new and the final group of 3 letters are arbitrarily assigned from a block of letters issued to the car dealer. The age designators change in March and September so the newest cars currently have a 16 on their licence plates - the 1 means new since March and the 6 means registered in 2016. From September new cars will show 66 on their plate. The change of plate in March and September causes a spike in car sales as people hold off their purchase so they can sport the very latest licence plate. At one time the year identifier was only changed once every year but it was decided this skewed car sales so dramatically and caused huge logistical problems in the supply chain so we adopted the current twice-yearly system.

Of course there is a big market for personal plates from people who want to disguise the age of their car or just display something a bit different. You cannot obtain a plate that makes your car look younger than it actually is but there are many companies who trade in desirable plates including the Government's own licencing department who hold back plates perceived to have additional value because the character combination forms an approximation for a word or phrase or anything meaningful to a particular person like their initials or name. These plates are priced according to their desirability and can be then assigned to your vehicle either from new or to replace an existing conventional plate.
Click here for UK Government Licence Plate Sales
That's probably the best bit of new information that I'll read all day

Seems like a stressful thing to have an added layer for when to decide on my next car purchase should be! I had no idea that they were assigned in this way; I admit I was only thinking about how I liked the elongated rectangle over our 4:6 one, and the bold color combinations

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Calling all Brits - the Limey thread.