GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:51 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Yup that is their stock response. Very strange they remain with it. The fact that they are aware and have devised a stock response would be tale telling
Old 01-05-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Well.. after rejecting all their arguments, they finally called me back with asking for the dealer to review the car/issue and work out what is causing it.. (another stock response). So I have now arranged for the car to be looked at week after next.. will see what they come back with. I suspect, the same response.. will kick up fuss then. @dejongj, did your dealer come back to you??
Old 01-05-2017, 07:54 AM

right to be forgotten
Amazingly, my dealer has just come back as well with a request for me to make an appointment with their workshop controller to investigate what I am experiencing.

I can't help but wonder whether Mercedes UK is starting to sit up and pay attention and has authorised investigations and issued a bulletin to their dealer network.

I'm pleased, it is a little step, but at least they are now willing to listen and investigate. No time for that cigar yet, but I really like the car so all I want is for them to take it seriously.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
Thanks JP, I hope you're right. Looks like quite a few others have now posted on the Honest John site. If I was able to gain some comfort that a proper 4 wheel alignment would fix the issue then I'd probably be ok. However, I guess I'd then be asking why MB doesn't do this before the car is delivered!! (presumably that's what they're thinking as well!)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 AM

right to be forgotten
I'm getting more C43 boys now paying attention as well. Seems to be getting quite widespread with the RHD C43 as well. I'm also pointing them in the Honest John direction as I think the press involvement is starting to help getting the attention.

PS. They are responding on the private invitation only Mercedes AMG hosted Private Lounge forum.
The following users liked this post:
Matteus GLC AMG (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:09 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Thanks JP. Do you mean LHD above? When you say 'as well' it implies that the non-UK (ie predominantly LHD) vehicles are also now being affected?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:36 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Matteus GLC AMG
Thanks JP. Do you mean LHD above? When you say 'as well' it implies that the non-UK (ie predominantly LHD) vehicles are also now being affected?
no definitely RHD only. I meant that besides the GLC also the C class is affected. I'm getting a lot of response from the C43 UK owners on the AMG forums who also have this issue. I assume most 4matic C class are just the AMG models.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC220D Exclusive
Question

It's kinda strange that none of the GLC reviews picked up on this problem when the vehicle was launched in '15...
Old 01-05-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
Originally Posted by dejongj
Thanks - yes that is exactly what I mean and how it feels to me. Not something that should happen on a permanent AWD vehicle and hasn't been my experience with my GL previously.

But...bang there goes my theory of RHD cars only. Interesting that you notice it but so many others don't. It seems to be a lot more consistent with UK vehicles looking at the reports. But oddly many have not remarked upon it according to my sales director.
I would say that the binding feeling in the drive line is nowhere near as severe as a 4x4 in high lock on pavement. But it does exhibit the same type of binding, just much more subdued, not enough to make the vehicle buck like a 4x4 pickup in lock. I would venture to say that all GLCs have this behavior to some extent. You need to make a U-turn or a sustained 180-degree turn, like in a parking ramp. Turning 90 degrees around a corner in normal driving does not seem to bind up the driveline much. On the very first U-turn I noticed the binding. We currently have snow and ice covered roads, and I don't feel the binding in those conditions, but if enough pavement is exposed it happens.

Can't figure out why others would not notice such as this either. Other than I think of this: my wife didn't notice when the tranny started going out on her Accord, I'm like how can you miss the slipping? She also burned out a tranny on her Jeep, it leaked fluid, she just knew it didn't want to move, so she just gave it more throttle, the V8 cooked the tranny in under two blocks. That being said, I won't let her drive my GLC. Much.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by GLC220Exclusive

It's kinda strange that none of the GLC reviews picked up on this problem when the vehicle was launched in '15...
LHD Press vehicles. I've mentioned it before all images we're the same for all vehicles. Not saying that it was done on purpose but I do think they've dropped the ball.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:49 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by edofloat
I would say that the binding feeling in the drive line is nowhere near as severe as a 4x4 in high lock on pavement. But it does exhibit the same type of binding, just much more subdued, not enough to make the vehicle buck like a 4x4 pickup in lock. I would venture to say that all GLCs have this behavior to some extent. You need to make a U-turn or a sustained 180-degree turn, like in a parking ramp. Turning 90 degrees around a corner in normal driving does not seem to bind up the driveline much. On the very first U-turn I noticed the binding. We currently have snow and ice covered roads, and I don't feel the binding in those conditions, but if enough pavement is exposed it happens.

Can't figure out why others would not notice such as this either. Other than I think of this: my wife didn't notice when the tranny started going out on her Accord, I'm like how can you miss the slipping? She also burned out a tranny on her Jeep, it leaked fluid, she just knew it didn't want to move, so she just gave it more throttle, the V8 cooked the tranny in under two blocks. That being said, I won't let her drive my GLC. Much.
i agree it is not as severe, but it is definitely there. I also wonder how many people have actually driven an 4x4 with high gearing long and often enough to recognise this. I mean the GLC is after all an SUV and a small one at that. Perhaps for many even the first 4matic vehicle as well. As such I have some appreciation that people may not recognise it.

The Mercedes WIS is detailing a difference in the transfer casing between LHD and RHD vehicles. So it could very well be that a LHD is limited to a light feeling and when doing a 180 only whilst on a RHD it does it persistently even when doing a 90 degree turn.

I dont know dor for a fact I am no mechanic just have driven my fair share of 4x4 vehicles both privately and in the army (my G wagon ).
Old 01-06-2017, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
My RHD 250d has minimal scrubbing. It has been a feature of all my previous 4x4s to varying degrees. I presume the affect is increased with the wider tires found on AMGs.
The following users liked this post:
Ian of Sydney (06-12-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 09:49 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by decorily
My RHD 250d has minimal scrubbing. It has been a feature of all my previous 4x4s to varying degrees. I presume the affect is increased with the wider tires found on AMGs.
Nah this is different, it is also doing it on the entry level wheels. I was running the same 21" albeit slightly wider on my GL class. I was running 320 wide on a pickup truck. It is doing it when it shouldn't be doing this at all, as I said under certain circumstances a 4x4 can do this, absolutely, but not like these are.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
No scrubbing at all on my Discovery sport.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:26 PM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Philamg
...or horsepower
Old 01-06-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
Or my wife's Evoque.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:36 PM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Originally Posted by URBassman
Or my wife's Evoque.
Ditto....
Old 01-06-2017, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
...or horsepower
The point is that 4 wheel drives can be designed to steer correctly, at low speeds where it is occuring on the GLC horsepower is irrelevant.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM

right to be forgotten
The point is that 4 wheel drives can be designed to steer correctly, at low speeds where it is occuring on the GLC horsepower is irrelevant.
Exactly!

And Mercedes can as well. There was none of this on my GL and I know rexgolds ML he had before this also didn't do it.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Never had this with my GL either. Current Mercedes are rear wheel drive. Never had with my Range Rover or BMW X5
Old 01-06-2017, 03:52 PM

GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Exactly!

And Mercedes can as well. There was none of this on my GL and I know rexgolds ML he had before this also didn't do it.
Nor the 2 ML's I have had either..
Old 01-08-2017, 04:22 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Correct. I was making an ill judged attempt at humour relating to the engine power currently available on Disco sports.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Correct. I was making an ill judged attempt at humour relating to the engine power currently available on Disco sports.
No problem Matteus, you are correct about the engine power on DS, could do with more, I am worried that I am leaving LR because of quality issues and would be very unhappy if I had this issue on my car in March, the response from MB seems very similar to some of the responses from LR.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:38 AM

right to be forgotten
It will be a difficult one if Mercedes can't fix it, we did have a conversation in our house hold as to what alternative we possibly would like;

Maserati Levante - get a yes lets try it from the rest of the family but I'm doubtful regarding jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
Jaguar F-Pace but in super charged version. My wife is ok, but eldest daughter is NOOOOO way too common
Mercedes GLS - again - loved that car, but my wife is no too big which was the reason we downsized.
Tesla Model X - I like it, it can be very fast as well, but my eldest daughter hates that it doesn't make any noise and is embarrassed by the doors. My youngest loves it as it may be the most eco friendly option. My wife is thinks it is a mans car.
Lamborghini Urus - Love it, but lets be real I can't afford it

BMW X4 no petrol engines, no M model.
Audi Q5 no petrol engines, no RS model.
Porsche Macan, too cramped

Damn this is really hard
Old 01-08-2017, 06:01 AM

It will be a difficult one if Mercedes can't fix it, we did have a conversation in our house hold as to what alternative we possibly would like;

Maserati Levante - get a yes lets try it from the rest of the family but I'm doubtful regarding jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
Jaguar F-Pace but in super charged version. My wife is ok, but eldest daughter is NOOOOO way too common
Mercedes GLS - again - loved that car, but my wife is no too big which was the reason we downsized.
Tesla Model X - I like it, it can be very fast as well, but my eldest daughter hates that it doesn't make any noise and is embarrassed by the doors. My youngest loves it as it may be the most eco friendly option. My wife is thinks it is a mans car.
Lamborghini Urus - Love it, but lets be real I can't afford it

BMW X4 no petrol engines, no M model.
Audi Q5 no petrol engines, no RS model.
Porsche Macan, too cramped

Damn this is really hard
None of the above for me..

Don't like Maserati.
F-Pace, crap interior
GLS is too big for us
Tesla - don't like the looks of it and lack of engine noise is a non starter
Lambo - hmmm.. sell the house and live in the lambo. May not work out though.
X4 -Q5 Agreed. No Petrol engine so no go. Macan, like the outside but crap and cramp inside.

I would go with a GLE 43AMG Coupe or a E Class 43AMG Estate...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock