GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Could be some good news, the following was posted on another forum this evening, he went back on afterwards and said LHD was a typo and should read RHD:
"
"This has now escalated at Mercedes.Having just spoken to Mercedes ,they confirmed that the problem is now being investigated as a fault by their engineers at HO in Stuggart ie no longer a "characteristic". They are aware that it only affects LHD cars. Everyone who hasn't yet done so needs to register a complaint to Mercedes. The more " noise" created ,the more seriously they will take the problem and the quicker it will be resolved .Mercedes contact number 08081 565635
Old 01-21-2017, 03:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Originally Posted by Philamg
Could be some good news, the following was posted on another forum this evening, he went back on afterwards and said LHD was a typo and should read RHD:
"
"This has now escalated at Mercedes.Having just spoken to Mercedes ,they confirmed that the problem is now being investigated as a fault by their engineers at HO in Stuggart ie no longer a "characteristic". They are aware that it only affects LHD cars. Everyone who hasn't yet done so needs to register a complaint to Mercedes. The more " noise" created ,the more seriously they will take the problem and the quicker it will be resolved .Mercedes contact number 08081 565635
that is hopeful. I have already done the complaint bit. Out of interest what site is it?
Old 01-21-2017, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Here is the link Rex:

http://www.glcforums.com/forum/106-m...ng-lock-5.html
Old 01-21-2017, 11:22 AM

GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Thanks very much..
Old 01-23-2017, 03:38 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Tyre wear is going rapidly on one side of my vehicle, it is literally shredding to pieces....

Yet Mercedes keeps on denying, it is my driving (sure how come the driver side is normal), tyres aren't our issue and not a warranty item (sure but in context of the other issues a bit strange isn't it ).

I've really had it with Mercedes.

Car can have problems, absolutely no issue with that, but the way they are handling it is worse than an insurance loss adjuster. There is just no willingness to even investigate and look at it, even when presented with clear evidence.

What can you do when you hit a brick wall like that.
Attached Thumbnails Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-img_0525.jpg  
Old 01-23-2017, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by dejongj
Tyre wear is going rapidly on one side of my vehicle, it is literally shredding to pieces....

Sorry to see destruction.
Danger is when you replace it, you might have to replace two front or worst case all four.

I still think you need to have a front end alignment, after new tyres !!

An interesting observation from my after market TPMS, is that often my front left tyre runs at one or two Psi higher than the others, PLUS I notice up to 5 degrees cel. higher reading as well. This must indicate continual issue with alignment or OEM set up for the left tyre and crabbing interference ?
Also whilst rear tyres sometimes have a higher psi, the fronts run hotter, does not quite make sense, not all the time, but noticeable.
Again funny stats from front left tyre that should not be there.
Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
dejongj (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 04:38 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Teckno
Sorry to see destruction.
Danger is when you replace it, you might have to replace two front or worst case all four.

I still think you need to have a front end alignment, after new tyres !!

An interesting observation from my after market TPMS, is that often my front left tyre runs at one or two Psi higher than the others, PLUS I notice up to 5 degrees cel. higher reading as well. This must indicate continual issue with alignment or OEM set up for the left tyre and crabbing interference ?
Also whilst rear tyres sometimes have a higher psi, the fronts run hotter, does not quite make sense, not all the time, but noticeable.
Again funny stats from front left tyre that should not be there.
Good luck.
Interesting points - never thought of looking at those stats. Yes I would replace in pairs, and expect it to just get worse when the circumference will differ more.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Some photos.
Attached Thumbnails Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-img_5533.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-img_5535.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-img_5530.jpg   Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock-img_5532.jpg  
dejongj (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 05:17 AM

right to be forgotten
Is that a logger? Does it record the data?

I have TPMS build into mine and can view it via the dashboard.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Did you see my post on the 20th Dejongj?.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:44 AM

right to be forgotten
Did you see my post on the 20th Dejongj?.
I did, do we have a TIPS or Xentry entrance reference? Without it, I find it very hard to believe it and it can't be verified it is actually happening.

I mean the dealers are still denying it.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, Tpms uses cigarette lighter socket, no logging function, bottom end of $ bracket. Just using it to trial.
Still looking to install upmarket system. Unfortunately MB in Oz do not supply GLC with TPMS in options.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
I did, do we have a TIPS or Xentry entrance reference? Without it, I find it very hard to believe it and it can't be verified it is actually happening.

I mean the dealers are still denying it.
May be worth phoning number in my post to see what they say, maybe hasn't fed back to dealers yet.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Also just spotted on another post on here that someone posted a link to the build book for US cars and all their models get all weather tyres, I have them on my Discovery sport. What tyres are fitted to the GLC43?
Old 01-23-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
Also just spotted on another post on here that someone posted a link to the build book for US cars and all their models get all weather tyres, I have them on my Discovery sport. What tyres are fitted to the GLC43?
Summer tyres.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:57 AM

right to be forgotten
May be worth phoning number in my post to see what they say, maybe hasn't fed back to dealers yet.
Continual denial, can't provide a a reference.

I've now also received a response from MB NL. They confirm that they cannot find any reference to a known issue with RHD vehicle, as such they cannot confirm whether this is a known problem.

If anyone has an official reference to an Xentry entrance or TIPS reference can you please share. Please PM if you don't want to publish it. Without this I really do not belief Mercedes is actually investigating this and have asked for help outside the UK.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Continual denial, can't provide a a reference.

I've now also received a response from MB NL. They confirm that they cannot find any reference to a known issue with RHD vehicle, as such they cannot confirm whether this is a known problem.

If anyone has an official reference to an Xentry entrance or TIPS reference can you please share. Please PM if you don't want to publish it. Without this I really do not belief Mercedes is actually investigating this and have asked for help outside the UK.
I have put a post on the forum where it was said about the investigation taking place to ask if they have a reference number.
dejongj (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 10:45 AM

right to be forgotten
Thanks Phil, that would be very helpful.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 GLC300, 2017 Corvette Z06

Yet Mercedes keeps on denying, it is my driving (sure how come the driver side is normal), tyres aren't our issue and not a warranty item (sure but in context of the other issues a bit strange isn't it ).

I've really had it with Mercedes.

Car can have problems, absolutely no issue with that, but the way they are handling it is worse than an insurance loss adjuster. There is just no willingness to even investigate and look at it, even when presented with clear evidence.

Holy crap, looks like you've been at the track on a hot summer day. It is amazing they released the car to production with this issue. Hope you guys get a resolution soon, of course the mental damage and anger is already set in stone.
dejongj (01-23-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:04 AM

So I told my dealer who I purchased the car from that I am not going to bother taking the car into local dealer for them to examine this issue and then tell me it is a characteristic of the car.. I said, I don't buy that argument. His text said the following

"Please be assured that this is a comfort issue and does not affect the safety or overall performance of your car.

That said, technical investigations are ongoing in the UK to try and minimise this characteristic. As soon as we have further information on this we will let you know."

I responded with the following.. "Thanks for your reply. I totally disagree with you on the phrase that it is a comfort issue and not a safety. As I had explained yesterday, we are not able to drive the car in enclosed space for the fear of hitting the sidewall, not just the tyres but the bodywork. So it cannot be classed as comfort issue.

As also informed yesterday, my ML did never do this nor did the GLE Couple that I test drove. I can also demonstrate the damage this does to the tyres making them wear out prematurely due to extreme pressure put on the edge of the tyres."

I also asked him if I should bother wasting my day to take the car to the dealer when they will read from the same hymn sheet. He advised as following.

"At this stage, I would imagine that the local dealer will not be providing you with any new information over what has been communicated.
I appreciate that your time is very important to you, especially as a self employed individual, so I personally wait until any further information is released."

So is it right for me to just wait for MB to find the fix?? It seems that it is now recognised as an issue and they are trying to find a solution. Or does waiting and not reporting this to MB Finance weaken my case if I decide to reject the car on safety aspect??

Should I still write to MB Finance and inform them of my issue??
Old 01-25-2017, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Another post on GLC forum this evening:

"Hi, I have the same problem with my Glc but latest from my local dealer Listers is quoted below

As there is growing numbers of complaints from other customers all over the UK I have been informed that Mercedes are looking into a more technical resolution, however there is no given timeframe by Mercedes at the moment regarding how long we will have to wait.

Keep up the pressure"
Old 01-26-2017, 03:59 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
Another post on GLC forum this evening:

"Hi, I have the same problem with my Glc but latest from my local dealer Listers is quoted below

As there is growing numbers of complaints from other customers all over the UK I have been informed that Mercedes are looking into a more technical resolution, however there is no given timeframe by Mercedes at the moment regarding how long we will have to wait.

Keep up the pressure"
Interesting - Phil, I guess you're keeping your fingers crossed that they get this sorted prior to your build!! I hope they do
Old 01-26-2017, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Yes Matt, or I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't have it.
I have been lucky with the Disco sport in that I haven't had any major issues.
Have you decided what car you are getting yet?.

Last edited by Philamg; 01-26-2017 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 250d AMG Premium
I equally have noticed the 'crabbing' issue when my GLC is on full steering lock and raised it with my dealer in Edinburgh. At least they acknowledge there is an issue and seem to identify what the issue is- already mentioned in this forum. Dealers response below.

'Apologies for hearing your having some issues with the car. I was aware of the issue as I believe it caused by the division of the torque split between the front and rear axle. I will looking into the official stance of it and come back to you'

I'll provide an update when I receive any more information, but I'm certainly hoping that there will be a proper fix- i.e not just a suggestion that this is normal or a recommendation to fit winter tyres.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:39 PM

right to be forgotten
Yes Matt, or I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't have it.
I have been lucky with the Disco sport in that I haven't had any major issues.
Have you decided what car you are getting yet?.
Can you buy my next car for me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock