GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC43 High Speed or High Rev Stall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC43 High Speed or High Rev Stall

So, we just got out car back from the dealer - we were having issues with the car putting itself into park when the Start/Stop would engage - and it became dangerous as cars would expect us to take off at the stop sign or stop light and the car was in park (almost got rear ended) - but it wouldn't let us just put in drive - we would have to turn off the key and then turn on. Apparently it was a battery modulator of some sort that monitored the battery charge...anyways, it seems to be fixed.

But after I picked up the car, I noticed something strange. Not only did it seem underpowered, it also would feel as if it bounced off the rev limiter and pulled power. You know that feeling. But I wasn't in manual mode - I was just getting on it getting on the freeway. So tonight I took it on the highway and you can see where it almost stalls out, and then re-engages...it's only at higher speeds so I can only get it to do it higher up on the revs. Check out the video. Any idea what that may be?

Old 01-25-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
No idea about the issue, but wonder where you can do 130 mph while filming your dash
Old 01-26-2017, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - your Owner's Manual or a Salesperson with AMG expereince..

1. Let's get directly to your "issue" - you need to know your AMG:

Mercedes-AMG vehicles: the automatic transmission does not shift up automatically
even when the engine limiting speed for the current gear is reached.

When the engine limiting speed is reached, the fuel supply is cut to prevent the engine from overrevving. Always make sure that the engine speed does notreach the red area of the tachometer. There is otherwise a risk of engine damage.

To shift up: pull steering wheel paddle shifter ;.The automatic transmission shifts up to the next gear.

2. You really should note the break-in instructions - sure, everybody gooses their new rig a few times - but since you don't know - how many times have you pushed to fuel cutoff - see breakin below...

"The more you look after the engine when it is new, the more satisfied you will be with its performance in the future.

You should therefore drive at varying vehicle and engine speeds for the first 1000 miles
(1500 km).

Avoid heavy loads, e.g. driving at full throttle, during this period.

Change gear in good time, before the tachometer needle is 2/3rd of the way to the red area of the tachometer.

Do not manually shift to a lower gear to brake the vehicle.

Try to avoid depressing the accelerator pedal beyond the point of resistance (kickdown).

Additional breaking-in notes for Mercedes-AMG vehicles:

Do not drive faster than 85 mph (140 km/h) for the first 1,000 miles (1,500 km).

Only allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4,500 rpm briefly.

Change gear in good time.

Ideally, for the first 1,000 miles (1,500 km), drive in the Comfort drive program.

After 1000 miles (1500 km), you can increase the engine speed gradually and accelerate the vehicle to full speed.

-----------------------------------------

Keep the beat !
Old 01-26-2017, 02:13 AM

I'm well over 1000 miles. Also, this was all done in auto mode and I was not manually shifting.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
Looks to me like a speed limiter - European cars generally have them at 155 mph.
If you were supplied with all-season tyres in the US market, I think I read somewhere that the there was a 130 mph limit due to the speed rating on the tyres.
Also have a look in the menu - there is the ability to add a "winter tyre" speed restriction - maybe it's on inadvertently?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:27 AM

Nah man you're not watching the vid. It stalls around 118 mph and drops back down to 116 and then picks back up again and goes to 130.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:33 AM

It's just did it again with my wife around 60 mph
Old 01-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Bad gas?
Old 01-26-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by ble2716
Bad gas?
THats something you get from an old taco.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by ble2716
Bad gas?
That or a fault. I would take it in.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by vikeor
THats something you get from an old taco.
Yes, same symptoms.
Lots of bad gas and "crap" out.

Originally Posted by dejongj
Agree.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
like a maniac
I would have it towed in with that kind of issue.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:24 PM

I'm taking it in on Monday. Not sure if it's Gas - the transmission is acting really wonky. It shift points are all over the place, coming from a stop it slams into gear, it think its transmission related.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:24 PM

Just got word from dealer...needs new transmission. So bummed. Also, they haven't even addressed the loss in power.

So I got a brand new GLC43 and drove it back to back with mine and with the technician in the car and he and I felt the massive loss on power. So I'm dealing with a Bad Transmission AND bad turbos or engine or just a Bad Transmission. Either way car is out for the the next few weeks. Sucks. Bad.

Last edited by begone; 02-11-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by begone
Just got word from dealer...needs new transmission. So bummed. Also, they haven't even addressed the loss in power.

So I got a brand new GLC43 and drove it back to back with mine and with the technician in the car and he and I felt the massive loss on power. So I'm dealing with a Bad Transmission AND bad turbos or engine or just a Bad Transmission. Either way car is out for the the next few weeks. Sucks. Bad.

Never should have bought new year model for both Engine, Transmission, and Chasis. Future Buyers hold off...we are the test dummies.
It is not a new model engine. This engine has been in production for since early 2015 and detuned variants existed before that. Transmission problems would easily explain the loss of power whereas an engine issue does not jibe with the evidence from your video.

I hope it gets worked out to your satisfaction quickly.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:47 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by begone

Never should have bought new year model for both Engine, Transmission, and Chasis. Future Buyers hold off...we are the test dummies.
Good result Told you to take it in

I don't agree with your conclusion though, the car has been out since 2015, the engine has been around for a long time as well. The transmission is used in nearly every other model. Failures just happen unfortunately, just think about it, if they didn't happen there wouldn't be any garages
Old 02-11-2017, 07:29 AM

Good result Told you to take it in

I don't agree with your conclusion though, the car has been out since 2015, the engine has been around for a long time as well. The transmission is used in nearly every other model. Failures just happen unfortunately, just think about it, if they didn't happen there wouldn't be any garages
Originally Posted by Mr. J
It is not a new model engine. This engine has been in production for since early 2015 and detuned variants existed before that. Transmission problems would easily explain the loss of power whereas an engine issue does not jibe with the evidence from your video.

I hope it gets worked out to your satisfaction quickly.
You guys are right. I've adjusted my post as I don't want to put out false info. I really hope the new transmission will fix the issues and power issues. We will see in the next 2-3 weeks. Dealer says 8-9 days to ship tranny, and then I'm sure another week to install and make sure everything is working properly.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 PM

Just got word Transmission won't be here till March 18th. This is such a shame. They dropped the Transmission pan and it was full of shaved metal flakes.

They are hoping this is why the power wasn't getting put to the ground, but won't know till they install the new transmission. Sucks.

Last edited by begone; 02-21-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Frankly - your Owner's Manual or a Salesperson with AMG expereince..

1. Let's get directly to your "issue" - you need to know your AMG:

Mercedes-AMG vehicles: the automatic transmission does not shift up automatically
even when the engine limiting speed for the current gear is reached.

When the engine limiting speed is reached, the fuel supply is cut to prevent the engine from overrevving. Always make sure that the engine speed does notreach the red area of the tachometer. There is otherwise a risk of engine damage.

To shift up: pull steering wheel paddle shifter ;.The automatic transmission shifts up to the next gear.

2. You really should note the break-in instructions - sure, everybody gooses their new rig a few times - but since you don't know - how many times have you pushed to fuel cutoff - see breakin below...

"The more you look after the engine when it is new, the more satisfied you will be with its performance in the future.

You should therefore drive at varying vehicle and engine speeds for the first 1000 miles
(1500 km).

Avoid heavy loads, e.g. driving at full throttle, during this period.

Change gear in good time, before the tachometer needle is 2/3rd of the way to the red area of the tachometer.

Do not manually shift to a lower gear to brake the vehicle.

Try to avoid depressing the accelerator pedal beyond the point of resistance (kickdown).

Additional breaking-in notes for Mercedes-AMG vehicles:

Do not drive faster than 85 mph (140 km/h) for the first 1,000 miles (1,500 km).

Only allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4,500 rpm briefly.

Change gear in good time.

Ideally, for the first 1,000 miles (1,500 km), drive in the Comfort drive program.

After 1000 miles (1500 km), you can increase the engine speed gradually and accelerate the vehicle to full speed.

-----------------------------------------

Keep the beat !
I assume you are quoting this out of the manual. Could you please point me to where it is? I looked through the manual for my '43 and for the life of me I could not find this info. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc 43
Updates on the issue please

What’s the update? Did the transmission fix the issue?