GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Anyone considering GLC vs. F-Pace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 CL550, 2011 XKR, 2016 Range Rover HSE, 2006 RX400h
Anyone considering GLC vs. F-Pace?

Both cars have similar specs and prices on the base trim. GLC has a nicer interior, FP has a nicer exterior.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC43
I have the GLC43 on order. I ordered an F-Pace a few months ago and cancelled it. At the time, there were a lot of owners complaining of squeaking, rattling, creaking sounds. Read some of the postings from Fpaceforum and you will see. The fuel lid door also does not lock, which may not bother you, but I find it odd.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC43
Those were my two finalists in my SUV search; I ultimately went with the 43. I think either is a win. Wasn't really loving the Jag interior, and the Benz also had the edge in performance. The instant response and torque of the F Pace's supercharged engine is awesome though, and the car handled extremely well for an SUV.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
I have a discovery sport, great car but as said lots of quality issues as has the F pace. That's why I am getting a GLC43.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 43
I looked closely at the F-Pace, and having had an XF a few years ago I really rather liked the Jag. However when I speced it up to the same level as the 43 the cost was considerably higher and then looking at quality issues (crabbing aside) it became an easy decision for me.

I also think the 43's interior wins hand down, the wonderful soundtrack, and the fact it's a new marque for me made it a clear winner. I've got everything crossed my 43 doesn't experience the problems others have reported... I'll know in 3 weeks time
Old 02-10-2017, 03:57 PM

How much turbo lag is there on the GLC43?
Old 02-10-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I drove the F-Pace and I enjoy driving the GLC43 better.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
As a Brit, I would love to have bought the F-Pace supercharged. I drove it and liked the engine and looks. Two things put me off. Firstly simply don't trust the build quality despite the claims of improvements which seems to be borne out by owner forum comments.British cars are so often fantastic designs but badly engineered. Secondly, my like-for-like pricing at the spec I wanted had the Jag 25% more expensive here in the UK. I suspect I was a little unlucky on timing (Merc had 10% discounts if you looked whilst Jag was zero) whereas I suspect now there is some discount to be had on the Jag. However it simply wasn't worth paying more for.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
The Jag is nice looking but is built in Solihull. Same place as LR. Would worry about build quality.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by Wolfy90503
How much turbo lag is there on the GLC43?
NONE. When it's in Sport+ mode. LOL
Old 02-10-2017, 10:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by ble2716
I agree....none!
Old 02-10-2017, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by ble2716
And in non-Sport+ mode...?
Old 02-11-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
I'm STILL torn. I can get either for about the same price. The fit and finish seems better on the Benz, but the Jaguar is much more practical with tons more cargo space and non runflat tires. The Benz is nicer on the inside except for the hideous tablet, while the Jag looks nicer on the outside and is much less common. The Jag also has a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty with all routine maintenance covered during that time. Lastly, you can get the tow hitch option on the Jaguar while still getting all the camera options, whereas if you want the surround view option on the Benz you can't get the hitch. I have a 2013 GLK 350 now and really like it, even though it's a base model. This will be a tough choice.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Infinity FX35, Lexus GS350
I was really hooked on the FPace when I first saw the car advertised. My wife and even went to a Car Show in Canada to see a preproduction car. I was really hooked but did not preorder and wanted to wait until I saw a production car. We attended the launch party for the FPace. It was an impressive party but on close inspection of the car the hood was not aligned properly it was off by probably 3/8 of an inch.
This made me question the quality. Over several months we visited 3 Jaguar dealerships and saw numerous cars with questionable build quality. Making a long story short we looked at the Macan and the Audi but ended up ordering a 43.. It is scheduled to be made on March 1. I'm really having a hard time waiting but am sure looking forward to having it built the way we want it.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I think something is afoot with respect to currency exchange rates and MSRP. All you folks over in the UK consistently state that apples-to-apples the F-pace is a more expensive car. However, when they are similarly equipped in the US market, the Jag carries a lower MSRP. I looked closely at the F-pace and it did spec out about $2k USD lower than the GLC 43 for as similar a build as I could create.

In the end the wife's opinion won out and we ordered a GLC 43. Her reasoning was that she wanted a car with similar controls as our C450 so that she could transition more easily between the two.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
And in non-Sport+ mode...?
You are only going to notice turbo lag with this engine if you are accustomed to driving serious performance cars. On my C450 I never notice any turbo lag regardless of driving mode. Sometimes I notice delay in the transmission shifting when doing rolling stop at intersections. It appears that this has been resolved with the 9G tranny though.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:30 AM

OK thanks I test drove a Volvo XC60 and the turbo lag was really bad.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:56 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
When we choose originally the GLC won; based upon space as the F-Pace is larger and we wanted to downsize from our GL.

Today, I would instantly buy the F Pace. Ive had my GLC43 for 3 months now, but the way Mercedes treats their customers when something is wrong, both retailers and HQ is just shocking. They are even asking new prospective owners to sign a waiver that they understand their vehicle may skip/jump/judder/crab to say they understand it is normal. Unfortunately us existing owners didn't get that choice.

https://www.mercedescrabbing.org/201...ipping-waiver/

Yes my neighbours F-Pace spend the second week of ownership at the dealers, but they took it serious and resolved it. Gave her a choice between a f-type and XE as a loan car. Issues can happen, how they are resolved it what matters.
The following users liked this post:
Paulo Soares (02-12-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by dejongj

Yes my neighbours F-Pace spend the second week of ownership at the dealers, but they took it serious and resolved it. Gave her a choice between a f-type and XE as a loan car. Issues can happen, how they are resolved it what matters.
Now, if MB give me a SL loaner it would all be worth it.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:08 AM

right to be forgotten
Now, if MB give me a SL loaner it would all be worth it.

With my GL class they gave me an SLS after I complaint by being put in a 1.6 A class. With the GLC they just hand me a letter and refuse to investigate.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar F-Pace 3.0d V6 S
Hello folks,

I collect my F-Pace 3.0d V6 S on 4 March and have tested them extensively, as well as having spent a great day at the Jaguar Art of Performance event taking the F-Pace through rally stages, up and down huge inclines etc. Got to drive an F-type too!

Anyway, here's my assessment as an interloper to MB World....

They both suffer from tyre skip when cold due to the Ackerman Effect (google it if you want) but it seems as if the Jaguar is less severe because our owners haven't taken out a class action like the MB folk! Of course, winter tyres solve this in cold weather.

The interior of the MB is better, for sure. In fact, I think the MB interior is probably the best of all of these sporty SUVs. The Porsche Mayan, often lauded for its build quality cabin, is old fashioned with millions of buttons. Like others, I am not keen on the MB tablet stuck on the dash but that's all I can find to dislike. With the Jaguar, adding a good choice of interior finishes and configurable mood lighting lifts things, but not to the MB standard. However, at least the leather is real - MB Artico leather is vinyl by another name!

Reliability? Well, the early cars with the ICTP display were problematic but the standard ICT is bullet proof, although nothing on the BMW system. Otherwise, there have been some issues with bonnet shut line alignment but dealers should resolve this quickly at the PDI stage. More recent cars are better and, in the US, you have the five year warranty.

The Jaguar F-Pace has two ace cards up its sleeve compared to the MB. First, it's a gorgeous beautiful design. Second, it far bigger but still handles almost as well as the Porsche Macan.

Now I will run for the hills as I have crept into this MB 43 stronghold and you will lynch me if you find me.

To conclude, all the best from all of the Jaguar F-Pace owners in the U.K.

Regards,

Arianne
Old 02-11-2017, 04:22 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Arianne
They both suffer from tyre skip when cold due to the Ackerman Effect (google it if you want) but it seems as if the Jaguar is less severe because our owners haven't taken out a class action like the MB folk! Of course, winter tyres solve this in cold weather.

Arianne
I think you have totally mis-understood the issue going on with RHD GLC models. We wish it was as simple as you make it out to be, that way you wouldn't reach the wrong conclusion as you've done. But I don't want to derail this thread so enjoy your F-Pace
Old 02-11-2017, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar F-Pace 3.0d V6 S
I think you have totally mis-understood the issue going on with RHD GLC models. We wish it was as simple as you make it out to be, that way you wouldn't reach the wrong conclusion as you've done. But I don't want to derail this thread so enjoy your F-Pace
Apologies for that. As I explained, I am not a close follower of MB World for obvious reasons. I guess that jumping in like I have means I am prone to oversimplifying long-running issues.

Anyway, let's leave it there so that folk on this thread can continue discussing the merits of a GLC43 over a Jaguar F-Pace

Arianne
Old 02-11-2017, 05:15 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Arianne
Apologies for that. As I explained, I am not a close follower of MB World for obvious reasons. I guess that jumping in like I have means I am prone to oversimplifying long-running issues.

Anyway, let's leave it there so that folk on this thread can continue discussing the merits of a GLC43 over a Jaguar F-Pace

Arianne
My neighbour and our good friend have had their Jaguar F-Pace 3.0 V6 diesel S since September now (I think). It is in triple black Looks awesome and we really like it.

For us what swung it to the GLC is the smaller size of the GLC. We downsized from the full size GL class and actually wanted something smaller. So what is a plus for some that the F-Pace is larger, is a minus for others.

However with the issues we continue to have with the GLC the F-Pace Supercharged is definitely on the table as an option again, we can compromise on size over comfort. But also the Alfa-Romeo Stelvio Cloverleaf and the Maserati Levante.

It is good times really, as realistically there are no bad cars (except for the RHD Mercedes GLC ), so plenty of choice to fulfil those criteria that are more important than others.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
When we choose originally the GLC won; based upon space as the F-Pace is larger and we wanted to downsize from our GL.

Today, I would instantly buy the F Pace. Ive had my GLC43 for 3 months now, but the way Mercedes treats their customers when something is wrong, both retailers and HQ is just shocking. They are even asking new prospective owners to sign a waiver that they understand their vehicle may skip/jump/judder/crab to say they understand it is normal. Unfortunately us existing owners didn't get that choice.

https://www.mercedescrabbing.org/201...ipping-waiver/

Dejongj, my discovery sport has been back to the dealers JLR 3 times to have the rear seat leather reworked and it is still not good enough on a car costing over £50000. The JLR dealers do take the issues seriously but there are FAR too many issues with JLR cars due to build quality. I have had the DS for 22 months and have been back to the dealers more than I did with my previous 10 cars put together.
The following users liked this post:
dejongj (02-11-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone considering GLC vs. F-Pace?