Opinion on black panel of Pano roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MB GLC
Opinion on black panel of Pano roof

HI all,

Just like to see what you think about the black panels used for the pano roof. To me it destroys the look of the car (front) if you have a white or red GLC with the roof being black. Anyway it is not a race car tho.

Just my opinion. What do you think?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL500, GLC300
i think it does hurt the look a little. but to me the benefits of a pano roof over none is worth it. i really dislike how enclosed cars feel when they have no sunroof/glass roof.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 250d AMG Premium
Agreed- whilst I like the pano roof and have it in my car I think the car would look more cohesive if the front black panel just above the windscreen was painted body colour. Main reason I got it was to ensure that the interior wasn't too dark for our little 2 year old.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:12 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
My car is Obsidian Black - I choose that for a reason when I was configuring it

I really wish we could get it without the sunroof at all. I hate the things and especially with the Mercedes implementation where there is no solid cover. I'm way to aware of the risks of skin cancer to appreciate these dangerous holes in a car.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:04 AM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63 S Coupe
Love the pano and the black look, looks awesome with selenite & the night package I think.
My last car with a pano had the solid cover and I'd never have the cover back without the pano open, I prefer the MB design with the blind, lets the light in without the direct sunlight.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 250d AMG Premium
Darker exterior colours definitely look better with the pano roof but my favourite colour for the GLC is iridium silver which is what I've got. lnterior wise yes I think semi transparent shade is a good idea especially with a black interior. As for skin cancer risk- more risk walking down the street or sunlight through the windscreen or side glass than a heavily tinted roof with a shade?
Old 02-19-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Oliver12
Darker exterior colours definitely look better with the pano roof but my favourite colour for the GLC is iridium silver which is what I've got. lnterior wise yes I think semi transparent shade is a good idea especially with a black interior. As for skin cancer risk- more risk walking down the street or sunlight through the windscreen or side glass than a heavily tinted roof with a shade?
if you walk hours on end unprotected, then yes I absolutely agree.

Window tinting is not going to stop UVB and UVA light, unless specifically made for that purpose.

But hey the choice is ours if i had the choice I'd rather not have one. 25 Plus years of driving in the sunshine can do some serious damage.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by JustinS
Love the pano and the black look, looks awesome with selenite & the night package I think.
My last car with a pano had the solid cover and I'd never have the cover back without the pano open, I prefer the MB design with the blind, lets the light in without the direct sunlight.

Justin, exactly what I have ordered down to the side steps, in my opinion looks much better with the black roof as it breaks the car up rather than looking plane, my current car a discovery sport is Red with black pano roof:

Opinion on black panel of Pano roof-img_00581_zpsos8ebl8l.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Opinion on black panel of Pano roof-img_00581_zpsos8ebl8l.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL500, GLC300
Originally Posted by dejongj
if you walk hours on end unprotected, then yes I absolutely agree.

Window tinting is not going to stop UVB and UVA light, unless specifically made for that purpose.

But hey the choice is ours if i had the choice I'd rather not have one. 25 Plus years of driving in the sunshine can do some serious damage.
well the windshield will stop all UVA and UVB rays, sides windows don't stop UVA rays.

i would say the bigger thing to worry about for possible future issues would be those huge, massive side windows, more-so then a sunroof.

it is like with eating red meat, do you avoid it to decease the chance of a heart attack, or do you do eat it anyways because it tastes damn good. you have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself and decide if it is worth the risk.

for me, i have a convertible and eat red meat. if i die at 40, at least i would have been happy! haha.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
My order is Selenite with Pano. I have an E63 that is designo graphite with pano. Obviously, I like the black panel of the pano and I've really had no issue with them being noisy; I keep them properly lubed per manufacturers specs and have been lucky, I guess. I also like the black pano panels on white MB's. So it's really a matter of personal preference, discussions of UV rays and whatnot aside. Horses for courses.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'12 Ducati 1198S, GLE C292
Originally Posted by JustinS

That is such a sick photo! I'm getting the exact same car, but with the multi-spoke rims. Can't wait
Old 02-27-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by dejongj
I really wish we could get it without the sunroof at all. I hate the things and especially with the Mercedes implementation where there is no solid cover. I'm way to aware of the risks of skin cancer to appreciate these dangerous holes in a car.
On balance I'd rather not have it either. As someone who has treatment that you really don't want to know about (or experience) for this disease, the impossibility of getting a GLC without the pano roof without a 6 month delay was nearly a deal breaker. It's still something I am concerned about, as some forms of treatment that keep you alive make you even more sun sensitive. I am inclined to wear a hat in the car. I'd rather a block-out cover for the roof, but as the roof seems to be intended for countries where the sun is not as lethal as it is here, it ain't going to change.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'12 Ducati 1198S, GLE C292
Originally Posted by bips
On balance I'd rather not have it either. As someone who has treatment that you really don't want to know about (or experience) for this disease, the impossibility of getting a GLC without the pano roof without a 6 month delay was nearly a deal breaker. It's still something I am concerned about, as some forms of treatment that keep you alive make you even more sun sensitive. I am inclined to wear a hat in the car. I'd rather a block-out cover for the roof, but as the roof seems to be intended for countries where the sun is not as lethal as it is here, it ain't going to change.
So you can't close it? In my wives E-class I can tilt the sunroof, then close the whole pano with a cloth-like material?
The following users liked this post:
bips (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by Hchaugen
So you can't close it? In my wives E-class I can tilt the sunroof, then close the whole pano with a cloth-like material?
Yes, but the cloth doesn't provide enough of a block IMHO. I say that without having measured the UV levels, something I'd really like to be able to do. I confess that I am a little paranoid about this, but I have reason to be. I went ahead and bought the car only because I felt that there wasn't that much light / UV coming through, but I'd prefer that the cloth lid was more of a block-out. If one of my medical speciaists knew that I had this feature in my car, he'd go ballistic!
Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Originally Posted by bips
Yes, but the cloth doesn't provide enough of a block IMHO. I say that without having measured the UV levels, something I'd really like to be able to do. I confess that I am a little paranoid about this, but I have reason to be. I went ahead and bought the car only because I felt that there wasn't that much light / UV coming through, but I'd prefer that the cloth lid was more of a block-out. If one of my medical speciaists knew that I had this feature in my car, he'd go ballistic!
FWIW, I got the three sunroofs on my wife's LR4 tinted with spectra photosync nano tint. Supposed to block like 99.5% of UV rays. The sunroof shades in the LR4 are laughable; much more porous (if that's the correct word here) than the GLC. It got hot as hell. Now with the tint, it's almost like there is no sunroof at all. I only got her sunroof tinted though as the dealer did a ceramic tint on the rest, and I didn't want to remove it.
I got the nano tint on my E63, which wasn't tinted previously. Change in in interior temps are very noticeable. I didn't do my pano, though as the shade for it is black and solid.

Last edited by Skizz; 02-27-2017 at 06:59 PM.