Sponsored By:

GLE: HID upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
GLE: HID upgrade?

So, I know the ML350 can have the h7 halogens replaced with a HID kit, but does anyone know if the same might be true for the GLE? I noticed that most of the HID kits out there are more geared towards the bulb type as opposed to the vehicle. I'm looking at the morimoto elite h7 35w 5000k HID kit but not sure if this is something that would work. I'll probably end up waiting until one is verified to work but maybe someone has some insight on how HID upgrades work for MB vehicles.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2015, 07:38 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Search on this board for the thread that went on for 2-3yrs for the issues some have had in retrofitting a HID kit on the ML's.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:20 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
We've got Morimoto kits on a few MLs and haven't had any issues. Morimoto canbus conversion kits are plug and play.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:21 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
The only reason I question the conversion is I don't know how much of the lighting/electrical system has been changed between the ML and GLE. I doubt that it's by much and I'm willing to be there won't be any problems since the GLE is a refresh and rebadge, but it's an expensive problem if electrical is involved.

Since you guys are pretty familiar with these systems, what types of issues have people run into with ML conversion in the past? Not necessarily blinking/error messages etc, but more permanent/expensive issues if any?
Old 09-12-2015, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - all those "conversion" problems - and frankly the wrong projectors to boot... if you are looking - then get the upgraded factory Mercedes headlights system and you don't have to go nuts over conversion..
The following users liked this post:
silverc4s (06-10-2018)
Old 09-12-2015, 06:19 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Yes - all those "conversion" problems - and frankly the wrong projectors to boot... if you are looking - then get the upgraded factory Mercedes headlights system and you don't have to go nuts over conversion..
This is why I asked, no need to be a douche about it. I really don't know what problems could arise. I've never done this before. I'd rather ask and see if anyone has run into any issues before trying it myself. I can't get any factory upgraded headlights as no dealer will let me buy the headlight unit and install it. I will pay the $1500 MSRP for the "upgrade" even if it means just getting OEM/stock LED without the curve assist stuff. Nobody will do it which leaves me with little options.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:49 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Originally Posted by nvsocr7
This is why I asked, no need to be a douche about it. I really don't know what problems could arise. I've never done this before. I'd rather ask and see if anyone has run into any issues before trying it myself. I can't get any factory upgraded headlights as no dealer will let me buy the headlight unit and install it. I will pay the $1500 MSRP for the "upgrade" even if it means just getting OEM/stock LED without the curve assist stuff. Nobody will do it which leaves me with little options.
There are a lot of "OEM or nothing" point of view which is fine. But it's not as if OEM is issue free, and it's not like Mercedes is in the lighting business. It's all outsourced. People say don't buy Depo or Brembo or whatever when those aftermarket parts were oem at one point or another. Also, the oem projectors are ok, but there are much better aftermarket projectors with razor clean cutoffs. MB cuts corners here and there to keep their margins.

It's your call, and I do agree you shouldn't buy crappy kits/parts as you do get what you pay for. Even the worse kits though, the worse that will happen is the bulb or ballast will get blown and need to be replaced. Warranty is always important as well as if the retailer stocks parts locally. After all, you don't want a blown bulb you bought from a drop ship retailer and they ship replacement from China or wherever, putting you without lights for days-weeks.

Last edited by AZN Optics; 09-12-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:58 PM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
There are a lot of "OEM or nothing" point of view which is fine. But it's not as if OEM is issue free, and it's not like Mercedes is in the lighting business. It's all outsourced. People say don't buy Depo or Brembo or whatever when those aftermarket parts were oem at one point or another.

It's your call, and I do agree you shouldn't buy crappy kits/parts as you do get what you pay for. Even the worse kits though, the worse that will happen is the bulb or ballast will get blown and need to be replaced. Warranty is always important as well as if the retailer stocks parts locally. After all, you don't want a blown bulb you bought from a drop ship retailer and they ship replacement from China or wherever, putting you without lights for days-weeks.

Which is completely fine with me. I don't mind a few hundred dollar mistake when doing this, but I just want to be sure doing this won't fry the electronic system you know? That's easily 2-3k to fix. I'm definitely going to go for the morimoto system as I do agree, you get what you pay for.

I guess what I'm looking for is, what's the worst problem someone has run into when installing these light systems so I know what do expect as a worst case scenario.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:13 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Melted wiring harness/lens cover has been the worst I've seen, but that was with hotter 55w kits in smaller enclosed space (fogs). 35w kits shouldn't have that problem though.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
I didn't get the douche vibe in his post. I've had this car with a conversion kit and didn't really have issues except for ballasts and bulbs burn out about 3 in 2 years. But their light output is no where near the factory hids and have a bad color. Go ahead and put it I but don't expect the best. I like you would rather deal with occasional issues than drive relight factory halogen projectors.
I'd recommend springing for the lighting package. It is very good. And if the LEDs here are like my dads s550 hids then you'll be real happy

Last edited by jtorrebl; 09-13-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:55 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
There are a lot of "OEM or nothing" point of view which is fine. But it's not as if OEM is issue free, and it's not like Mercedes is in the lighting business. It's all outsourced. People say don't buy Depo or Brembo or whatever when those aftermarket parts were oem at one point or another. Also, the oem projectors are ok, but there are much better aftermarket projectors with razor clean cutoffs. MB cuts corners here and there to keep their margins.

You have a point however you are over simplifying to the point of it being silly. The level of engineering given their goals and restrictions should be appreciated. And it is in a different league than any aftermarket lighting solution. Brakes, etc. are not a apples to apples comparison. With lighting, OEM reigns king and there is no prince.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:51 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Originally Posted by 27T
You have a point however you are over simplifying to the point of it being silly. The level of engineering given their goals and restrictions should be appreciated. And it is in a different league than any aftermarket lighting solution. Brakes, etc. are not a apples to apples comparison. With lighting, OEM reigns king and there is no prince.
Respectfully, I'd disagree. Even stock xenon bulb does not reign supreme. In all aspects, Osram xenarc CBI bulbs we offer as an upgrade for those with original MB issued bulbs vastly underperforms over the stock xenon bulb you currently have in there.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:20 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

And for that matter the stock halogen bulbs you still have scattered on the car even with lighting package are nothing special, especially compared to aftermarket LED upgrade options.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let me be clear - the factory lighting upgrade - there is not any comparable aftermarket system that delivers the same features, or the same quality of lighting upgrade - for the same cost or less.

On the douche comment - either - grow up - call your mother - or simply go away - I have no time for it.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:48 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Respectfully, I'd disagree. Even stock xenon bulb does not reign supreme. In all aspects, Osram xenarc CBI bulbs we offer as an upgrade for those with original MB issued bulbs vastly underperforms over the stock xenon bulb you currently have in there.
I get what you're saying but you cannot put any bulb in the housing because there a parameters that auto manufacturers have to adhere to. Adding the wrong bulb can be dangerous to you and others. Upgrading brakes do not have the same consequences.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Let me be clear - the factory lighting upgrade - there is not any comparable aftermarket system that delivers the same features, or the same quality of lighting upgrade - for the same cost or less.

On the douche comment - either - grow up - call your mother - or simply go away - I have no time for it.
Absolutely correct on all points.
Don't know why the OP misinterpreted the most appropriate information provided.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
Originally Posted by 27T
I get what you're saying but you cannot put any bulb in the housing because there a parameters that auto manufacturers have to adhere to. Adding the wrong bulb can be dangerous to you and others.
+ 1 to this. I don't know if it's possible but can't a used / salvaged headlight (with lighting package) be used for the OP's purpose. Of course it may not give all the features but will address the light color & brightness aspect in a safe and perfectly legal manner. An aftermarket harness can also be used if strain on factory wiring is a concern. I wholeheartedly support the use of a sealed (unopened headlight) with the correctly specified bulbs in it. Even a used OEM one will be far better than a new retrofitted one. Retrofitting / HID upgrade only addresses some of the aspects (but does it very well in a potentially unsafe/ illegal manner), but not all. Good luck.

Last edited by pamiboy; 09-14-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:04 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
I guess what I'm looking for is, what's the worst problem someone has run into when installing these light systems so I know what do expect as a worst case scenario.
I believe I posted the 1st reply in this thread and I recommended that you look for the thread on this specific matter. Not sure if you did yet or not but within there, you will find the answers you're looking for. On my phone at the moment so am unable to provide a link to it. It's a couple pages long and many people posted which kits they tried, which ones worked and which didn't, what problems they ran into, and also how they solved those problems. Pert of the reason why getting a vehicle w/ it from the factory is that the auto leveling part is a key component and is federally mandated.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 AM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by pamiboy
I never once said I didn't agree with that. The issue is, I ALREADY have the vehicle. Order placed in march, huge discount because of that, didn't think the halogens on the stock lights would be this bad since we have an e320 with halogens and they are pretty good. I can not get any more "factory" upgrades per MB, they won't even let me purchase the LED headlamp assembly and put it in(I don't care if i don't get active curve assist and all that). So now, my only option is to get HID if I want something brighter and whiter. Does this make sense?
Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 AM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by skw
I believe I posted the 1st reply in this thread and I recommended that you look for the thread on this specific matter. Not sure if you did yet or not but within there, you will find the answers you're looking for. On my phone at the moment so am unable to provide a link to it. It's a couple pages long and many people posted which kits they tried, which ones worked and which didn't, what problems they ran into, and also how they solved those problems. Pert of the reason why getting a vehicle w/ it from the factory is that the auto leveling part is a key component and is federally mandated.
I did and I completely agree with getting it factory installed however I can't do that since I already own the vehicle. I'd gladly pay whatever it took for the headlamps to be upgraded properly. Most of the issues people had are flickering or the lights not working when you go into reverse or something, having to modify the headlamp seal/cover with a hole, but most people don't mention what ballast and canbus they are using. So far, I've seen on other forums that morimotos work extremely well but only recently did I find you can get OEM ballasts and igniters (matu****as, densos, hellas) which is something to consider. The other issue is, how different are electrical and lighting systems from one vehicle to another. Does the same canbus/igniter for say the ML work on the GLE or an Accord with H7's? Are these HId systems are based on the bulb type rather than vehicle type, which now that I know OEM HID ballasts are available the likely answer is yes, it's based more on the bulb type (H7 h1 etc).

Theretrofitsource.com is the only place that I actually found some of this info. I made this whole post hoping that people who are well versed in ballasts, igniters, HIDs would have chimed in, and did so on here since its MB specific. I've never done or even looked into something like this and considering it's a $50,000+ vehicle, I would rather post and ask dumb questions than go in blindly and make a huge mistake.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 350
I never once said I didn't agree with that. The issue is, I ALREADY have the vehicle. Order placed in march, huge discount because of that, didn't think the halogens on the stock lights would be this bad since we have an e320 with halogens and they are pretty good. I can not get any more "factory" upgrades per MB, they won't even let me purchase the LED headlamp assembly and put it in(I don't care if i don't get active curve assist and all that). So now, my only option is to get HID if I want something brighter and whiter. Does this make sense?
Your situation makes perfect sense to me, but the solution isn't that simple. Are you planning install pnp HID bulbs into existing halogen projectors or retrofit the existing halogen projectors with bixenons? For starters both of these will likely void the electrical warranty for at least lighting related areas and potentially more.
If you are going the pnp route, the high beams will still be halogen, are you okay with that?
Or are you okay with ripping open a perfectly working headlight of a brand new MB to retrofit with Bixenons? This will create additional problems if there are issues with subpar workmanship, improper sealing, water damage, unsafe lighting on the streets, etc. Just remember that the human eye is not as good as a properly calibrated instrument for testing all parameters of the headlight.
Now this brings the third option, if you can get a used / new headlight with LED / Xenon lighting package and somehow install it (assuming active curve assist and other features would not work) , that could be a viable alternative for you. I don't know if anyone has done it before.
I'm assuming that you do not want to trade you car for one with lighting package.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
In the same boat as the OP. I just really can't get over how the standard halogen headlights on a "luxury" car could be this terrible. Back in the day before xenon and LED technology, German automakers made some of the best headlights out there. I guess with the advent of Benz's strategy of marketing to the masses, they let certain things fall by the wayside...ie. CLA. But I digress.

Anyway, to the OP, there are two viable options for us:
1. Buying complete OEM xenon headlight assemblies either new or used. I wouldn't put up with a stealership telling me that a part is not available for sale to me...that's just ludicrous. Just go to a different place. OR, the more reasonable way to go would be to buy them used. There are always a few here and there on eBay...even saw a set on Craigslist. The pro to this is its OEM and all the benefits that entails, such as it should be a simple PNP. The cheapest I could reasonably see it costing would be $1k, but more realistically a few more hundred than that. EDIT: it is NOT a direct PNP (shoulda known) 100 euro wiring harness needed and a STAR diagnostic setting change to xenon being present is needed.

2. HID kit. I'm not even gonna go into retrofitting an aftermarket assembly with better projectors as I don't think you'd be down for that given your concerns with just changing the bulb and adding a ballast. The WORST thing I could see that is possible is blowing out the ballast and/or bulb of the kit and some melting from heating issues. Sure, damage spreading to other wiring harnesses causing thousands COULD happen, but so is me getting with Jessica alba...just most likely not gonna happen. SO, worse comes to worst you'd be out the $150 for the kit.

I JUST ordered the same kit...Morimoto x35 H7 from aznoptics...chose them over TRS because I asked him a shtload of questions and deserves my business.

As soon as I receive, and install, I'd be happy to share my initial thoughts if you like.

Last edited by Shogunade; 11-04-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:45 AM

GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Shogunade
In the same boat as the OP. I just really can't get over how the standard halogen headlights on a "luxury" car could be this terrible. Back in the day before xenon and LED technology, German automakers made some of the best headlights out there. I guess with the advent of Benz's strategy of marketing to the masses, they let certain things fall by the wayside...ie. CLA. But I digress.

Anyway, to the OP, there are two viable options for us:
1. Buying complete OEM xenon headlight assemblies either new or used. I wouldn't put up with a stealership telling me that a part is not available for sale to me...that's just ludicrous. Just go to a different place. OR, the more reasonable way to go would be to buy them used. There are always a few here and there on eBay...even saw a set on Craigslist. The pro to this is its OEM and all the benefits that entails, such as it should be a simple PNP. The cheapest I could reasonably see it costing would be $1k, but more realistically a few more hundred than that.

2. HID kit. I'm not even gonna go into retrofitting an aftermarket assembly with better projectors as I don't think you'd be down for that given your concerns with just changing the bulb and adding a ballast. The WORST thing I could see that is possible is blowing out the ballast and/or bulb of the kit and some melting from heating issues. Sure, damage spreading to other wiring harnesses causing thousands COULD happen, but so is me getting with Jessica alba...just most likely not gonna happen. SO, worse comes to worst you'd be out the $150 for the kit.

I JUST ordered the same kit...Morimoto x35 H7 from aznoptics...chose them over TRS because I asked him a shtload of questions and deserves my business.

As soon as I receive, and install, I'd be happy to share my initial thoughts if you like.

Awesome. I just placed the order and it'll be here Tuesday. I've been looking around and the only thing I would ever consider in terms of retrofit is purchasing some standard OEM halogen lights, retrofitting them, then swapping the lights 1 for 1. Now, one thing I noticed is the standard lights look as though they are HID projectors for the low beams but halogen reflectors for the high beams. I can't say for sure but there's a sharp cut off and on some of the dark roads I can tell the beam is spread pretty evenly. Let me know how it goes though, I'm curious as I've never done this before.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W164: Mercedes Benz ML350
Originally Posted by pamiboy
Well.. for starters if you read what he posted, he has (as in owns) a GLE, not a ML. He was inquiring as to the differences WRT lighting. Likewise, he isn't able to just go back to the dealer and get a "factory installed" upgrade/option, as stated. So, yes, I can certainly see why a "douche-bag" comment could be interpreted.. This thread and forum are for informing others, not for masquerading as the "Atlas" of all MB issues and giving nonsensical advice that isn't even possible.