Sponsored By:

GLE 350 with no airmatic rides great

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
GLE 350 with no airmatic rides great

I have a loaner GLE350 4matic and the ride is great. I'm particularly impressed with the weighty steering feel when set to "sport".

We have a 13' GL450 and a 14' E350 cab. My understanding is that the e class cab is based on a C class chassis. There is no aromatic on our cab. The GL has airmatic and drives like the QE2 (although its better than an Escalade and other big SUVs)

The point is that it seems that MBs with good old fashioned coil springs vs. air bags seem to give the driver a better feeling of connection with the road. More substance and feedback in the steering, and candidly a better feeling of solidity over the bumps. That last one is tough, because how could you argue with riding on air. My answer is - that the airmatics seem to allow for lateral movement of the wheel (side to side) as road imperfections are encountered. Inside the cabin the vehicle stays its course but the driver can feels the wheels going a little jelly for a minute or two. By contrast, the GLE350 with springs feels very buckled down and much more serious. Also, its a fact that looser suspensions (such as airmatic - at least in the GL) give a perception of greater heft of the car which is a hallmark mercedes quality. So the GLE with springs feels more spry and eager over the road. I know I'm comparing very different vehicle here, but the overall point I think is that coil springs are for drivers (the AMG coupe for example) and Airmatic is purely a comfort option (despite marketing to the contrary). I'd guess the AMG cars all have airmatic in order to reinforce its worth (in other words a decision from the boardroom, not the test track).

The GLE is great and the apple car is incredible. I would consider a change from the GL but the primary reason we got it was for cargo hauling capacity.

Wonder what a lowered GL550 on Eibach sport springs would handle like? Still comfortable, but less like a waterbed I'd bet.

DRP