Sponsored By:

Halogen to HID success!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLC 300, 2016 GLE 350
Originally Posted by baobay
No. nothing just the ballast and the lights. The hylux ballast comes with internal canbus. I tried the Morimotto 50w kit and it took a few seconds to fire up and flickered a little and was not as bright as the 35w hylux. I was told by Lightwerkz that the hylux canbus is more stable than Morimotto. They sell both so they have no connection to one vs the other.
TRS also sells the Hylux canbus so I can probably do an exchange. I cam hear the car relay cutting power on and off, then off and then the dash warning. Dam this just really pisses me off about this new truck. If only it came with decent standard headlights. Thanks for getting back to me.

k
Old 10-31-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
Get the Hylux and you should be OK. Like I said, I have tried both Hylux and Morimotto. I've had no issues with hylux at all. Let us know what happens.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:33 AM

I called TRS and they said that the round brackets are the corrects ones, but I'm supposed to use a dremel to enlarge the hole for morimoto bulbs.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by TripleInboard
I called TRS and they said that the round brackets are the corrects ones, but I'm supposed to use a dremel to enlarge the hole for morimoto bulbs.
They told me the same BS, and they know the round ones are not the correct ones.

I ended up buying them from eBay at $6.

Heres the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Retainer-...NSINhJ&vxp=mtr
Old 10-31-2016, 12:15 PM

the round ones are not the correct ones. They do not fit even after you dremel them. I tried...trust me. Either have them send you the square ones or order them from ebay or amazon. Just do a search for H7 Euro adapters.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:22 PM

yea... they told me that and I said that is BS, they sold me adapters that don't fit the bulbs. Then he said he had new Morimoto bulbs that fit the adapters. So I am exchanging the bulbs. I got the new Morimoto H7 HID's and they fit the round adapters like in your picture perfectly. Or you can ream yours out. But it is nice to have bulbs that fit the adapter and go right to place in the car. But my problem is the lights won't stay lit and the bulb out warning on the dash. I was advised to try to double up ( pig tail in series ) 2 canbus harnesses to see if doubling the resistance will trick the computer in thinking it has a good halogen. I was also informed that they really don't like to sell HID kits for 2014 and newer MB's because the computers were updated after 2014 and thats when the canbus systems started to fail to work. Anyway... more to come. Dam MB for this problem.

k
Old 10-31-2016, 12:28 PM

Get the Hylux and you should be OK. Like I said, I have tried both Hylux and Morimotto. I've had no issues with hylux at all. Let us know what happens.

as mentioned in another post, my first trouble shooting duty for TRS is to put 2 canbus harnesses in series to double the resistance and see if that does the trick. If so, then I just need 2 more canbus harnesses. I will try it. But I already told him that success has been had with the Hylux and he said that would be the next step. To switch out for the Hylux. Fortunately I can switch in the HID is about 5 mins. I have not cut anything or mounted anything yet. But it is going to be cheaper to switch to the Hylux than buy more canbus harnesses to try to get mounted.

k
Old 10-31-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 350 W4
Originally Posted by kenkirk
yea... they told me that and I said that is BS, they sold me adapters that don't fit the bulbs. Then he said he had new Morimoto bulbs that fit the adapters. So I am exchanging the bulbs. I got the new Morimoto H7 HID's and they fit the round adapters like in your picture perfectly. Or you can ream yours out. But it is nice to have bulbs that fit the adapter and go right to place in the car. But my problem is the lights won't stay lit and the bulb out warning on the dash. I was advised to try to double up ( pig tail in series ) 2 canbus harnesses to see if doubling the resistance will trick the computer in thinking it has a good halogen. I was also informed that they really don't like to sell HID kits for 2014 and newer MB's because the computers were updated after 2014 and thats when the canbus systems started to fail to work. Anyway... more to come. Dam MB for this problem.

k
If you read my initial posts on the conversation you will notice that i experience the same situation you are but only with one side. It took me several calls to TRS to get to understand that my ballast was DOA (Dead on Arrival) it was intermittent and I was getting the same low beam message you describe.
Keep calling them and get your ballast replace. I also tried the Double canbus trick and it didn't fix ****, it was the ballast.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ALDEJESUS
If you read my initial posts on the conversation you will notice that i experience the same situation you are but only with one side. It took me several calls to TRS to get to understand that my ballast was DOA (Dead on Arrival) it was intermittent and I was getting the same low beam message you describe.
Keep calling them and get your ballast replace. I also tried the Double canbus trick and it didn't fix ****, it was the ballast.

I tried both of the ballasts with the same result. I switched everything out. I have not installed anything yet. I am just testing. I am testing on the drivers side. Both ballasts and igniters give me the same result. On for a sec, off then on for a sec, then off and thelow beam bulb out warning. You can hear the truck clicking a relay. I am using 35 watt Morimoto with Canbus.

k
Old 10-31-2016, 01:26 PM

Don't pigtail the canbus units. Just go with the hylux ballasts and you'll be fine. They are telling you this so they don't have to make a return.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:38 PM

Don't pigtail the canbus units. Just go with the hylux ballasts and you'll be fine. They are telling you this so they don't have to make a return.
you think like I do.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:48 PM

OK, tested with pig tailing 2 morimoto can bus harnesses together. It did fire and hold....once. I turned off the truck and tried again, on, off,on,off lamp out warning. It did work once so the resistance is probably close. But close doesn't cut it at night with headlights. So the Hylux 35 watt canbus are ordered and The morimoto are going back. TRS was very nice and helpful. He even read the threads to make sure we were getting the right Hylux ballast that worked for you.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:06 PM

I ended up taking a dremel to the H7 adapters per TRS. Not a good solution in my eyes, but it is what it is. I was able to get the bulbs to be flush in the adapters, and then installed in the car. The beam pattern seems like a brighter version of the halogen lights, and definitely doesn't resemble some of the photos I've seen in this thread with the strong cutoff. Since both sides look identical, I'm wondering how much adjustment there is to be made. Any thoughts?

Old 11-01-2016, 05:08 AM

I ended up taking a dremel to the H7 adapters per TRS. Not a good solution in my eyes, but it is what it is. I was able to get the bulbs to be flush in the adapters, and then installed in the car. The beam pattern seems like a brighter version of the halogen lights, and definitely doesn't resemble some of the photos I've seen in this thread with the strong cutoff. Since both sides look identical, I'm wondering how much adjustment there is to be made. Any thoughts?

the bulb placement is off! I had the exact same pattern before I re adjusted. I didn't use the round adapters so I don't know how they fit but you need to adjust more. It
may also be the way way the bulb sits in the adapter. There's a photo early in this thread showing the way the bulb should be. But that photo has the square adapters. You're almost there. I took me several tries to get it right.
The large round plug inlet on the back of the bulb should be in the one o'clock position when installed. The square adapters have a stop built in so you can't rotate the bulb anymore when you get it the correct position. My suggestion is get the square adapters.

Last edited by baobay; 11-01-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:50 AM

When I spoke to TRS yesterday to complain about the adapters they sent, they indicated that even the square adapters need to be "cut" to work with the morimoto bulbs. Is that true?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:55 AM

When I spoke to TRS yesterday to complain about the adapters they sent, they indicated that even the square adapters need to be "cut" to work with the morimoto bulbs. Is that true?
Just get them to send you out the new Morimoto H7's with the smaller base that fits the round H7 euro adapter. They fit perfectly and go right to place in the car. Now I have not fired them to see the beam, and there is no way to adjust the rotation as all fits like a glove. But I did note the larger orange plug sits at around 1 o'clock when seated into the projector. But even if the pattern is off a little, it will be far better than the halogens... as long as it does not blind oncoming traffic.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:36 AM

no that's BS. The square adapters don't have to be altered in any way.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
No. I had both old and new bulbs(6 months ago I attempted and bought bulbs/adapters) and circle/square adapters. Only combo that worked for me were the square adapters and the newer morimoto bulbs (the base is slimmer and has an orange gasket, not yellow). Try aznoptics, he is usually on these threads and he may be able to guarantee the above.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:18 AM

Gle350
No. nothing just the ballast and the lights. The hylux ballast comes with internal canbus. I tried the Morimotto 50w kit and it took a few seconds to fire up and flickered a little and was not as bright as the 35w hylux. I was told by Lightwerkz that the hylux canbus is more stable than Morimotto. They sell both so they have no connection to one vs the other.
did you use a harness, if so which one?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Do
no harness needed
Old 11-02-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Bob Do
Have to use the canbus, not the harness. Canbus contains resistors to trick the system into not faulting on the lower resistance vs halogen. I think from what I gather the Hylux already has the canbus in the ballast but the morimotos are separate/external
Old 11-02-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by nvsocr7
Have to use the canbus, not the harness. Canbus contains resistors to trick the system into not faulting on the lower resistance vs halogen. I think from what I gather the Hylux already has the canbus in the ballast but the morimotos are separate/external
The hylux 35W canbus kit has the canbus built it. Hylux makes non canbus ballasts also. for MB vehicle canbus is needed. Morimotto have external canbus.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:04 PM

OK! Hylux canbus works!!

Ok, I finished up the GLE 350 this morning. I used Morimoto's new H7 bulbs with the smaller round base that fits the round Euro adapter perfectly from TRS. I used the 35 watt Hylux canbus kit. I used the Morimoto bulb harness. I bought a stepped bit to drill the dust covers. It was worth the money. I have the paddle type bits and the hole saw kits, but the stepped bit was the way to go. I mounted the ballast to the chassis above the wheel well with industrial mounting tape. I could have used velcro or used screws, but mounting tape never fails me if you use denatured alcohol first to clean the surfaces. I used zip ties to secure the canbus and igniter parts to other secured wiring harnesses under the hood. I can remove everything in probably 30 min or less and reinstall the Halogens if necessary.

Ok, first off, the Morimoto 35 watt canbus kit DOES NOT WORK on these trucks! Don't waste your time. Get the HYLUX as has been mentioned in this thread. It works perfect. And Thanks again for the previous posters that blazed the trail on how to retrofit the rubbish halogens MB installed in these luxury SUV's.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:22 PM

glad it worked out...Now its time to tackle the high beams...any ideas??? I'm thinking along the lines of LED bulbs not HIDs. HID's wont work because it take time for them to warm up.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by kenkirk
Ok, I finished up the GLE 350 this morning. I used Morimoto's new H7 bulbs with the smaller round base that fits the round Euro adapter perfectly from TRS. I used the 35 watt Hylux canbus kit. I used the Morimoto bulb harness. I bought a stepped bit to drill the dust covers. It was worth the money. I have the paddle type bits and the hole saw kits, but the stepped bit was the way to go. I mounted the ballast to the chassis above the wheel well with industrial mounting tape. I could have used velcro or used screws, but mounting tape never fails me if you use denatured alcohol first to clean the surfaces. I used zip ties to secure the canbus and igniter parts to other secured wiring harnesses under the hood. I can remove everything in probably 30 min or less and reinstall the Halogens if necessary.

Ok, first off, the Morimoto 35 watt canbus kit DOES NOT WORK on these trucks! Don't waste your time. Get the HYLUX as has been mentioned in this thread. It works perfect. And Thanks again for the previous posters that blazed the trail on how to retrofit the rubbish halogens MB installed in these luxury SUV's.
send night pics of cutoff please.
Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Halogen to HID success!