GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

REady to order a GLE400 - Want some opinions on selctions

Old 10-26-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG 43 GLE SUV, BMW 750i
REady to order a GLE400 - Want some opinions on selctions

The GLE400 is in short supply in most dealers around here and any coming in usually are "loaded" with options we don't want/need, so we probably will end up ordering one.

Here is what we plan on ordering. Any comments would be appreciated in terms of what else anyone highly suggests. in addition, the color combo my wife likes is Diamond silver/with Crystal Gray leather interior. Has anyone seen one of these in the "wild" and your impressions?

Here are the other quite small set of options:
P2 - so we can get the brighter LED headlights
Parking assist (the $1,290 one) - does this work?
4-year maintenance

I noticed a small turbo lag from 0-30 - has anyone else noticed this?
Old 10-26-2016, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Yes there is slight turbo lag. But it's not only 0-30. Under slight acceleration there is lag at almost any speed. But when the turbos do catch up, it is pretty noticeable and quick.
I suggest and really like the night package. It gives the GLE a more modern aggressive look.
The upgrade headlights are a no brainer, get them. (it's just to bad MB bundles them in a package for other crap you probably don't want)
The parking assist is great and works. I used it twice today to parallel park. (Does this include the 360 cameras now? They are great too)
Next, the distronic. If this is going to be a travel car or a commute in heavy traffic, I suggest getting it too. It works great.
Leave off the pano roof and the side steps (unless you have very small children getting in and out)
I also like my ventilated seats too.
Good luck.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 10-26-2016 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rocky12 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 241 Likes on 138 Posts
Soon: 2020 G63 Currently: 2016 GLE63 SUV + 97 F250HD, Before: 2013 G550, Range Rover Sport, 1984 CJ7
All the things Bac said. Good car. Get the options you know you want and never ponder what could have been.
The following users liked this post:
rocky12 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Yes there is slight turbo lag. But it's not only 0-30. Under slight acceleration there is lag at almost any speed. But when the turbos do catch up, it is pretty noticeable and quick.
I suggest and really like the night package. It gives the GLE a more modern aggressive look.
The upgrade headlights are a no brainer, get them. (it's just to bad MB bundles them in a package for other crap you probably don't want)
The parking assist is great and works. I used it twice today to parallel park. (Does this include the 360 cameras now? They are great too)
Next, the distronic. If this is going to be a travel car or a commute in heavy traffic, I suggest getting it too. It works great.
Leave off the pano roof and the side steps (unless you have very small children getting in and out)
I also like my ventilated seats too.
Good luck.
Thanks for your really "thoughtful" advice! I'll look at some of the other options you suggested. As far as the side steps, we've been debating. My wife keeps hitting her legs on them, so I think that may be a no. As far as the pano roof, I can count on less than one hand how many times I've used the sunroof at all, so the pano is probably a no.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLE43W4
You might want to check with the dealership but i think the gle 400 just had its last production run. Its being replaced by the gle 43, from what i have heard. I might be wrong, just ask them incase.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
Wait for the GLE43. The 400 is a joke for the price.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Get the LED lights, it's a must safety-wise.

As far as the self parking goes, the sensors have only been able to correctly identify one parking spot in the five months I've had it. However, it has suggested about a dozen times to engage in the self parking maneuver once I'm already parked!

Diamond Silver has a pleasing slight blue hue to it. It gives it a cool rather than warm appearance.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rocky12
Thanks for your really "thoughtful" advice! I'll look at some of the other options you suggested. As far as the side steps, we've been debating. My wife keeps hitting her legs on them, so I think that may be a no. As far as the pano roof, I can count on less than one hand how many times I've used the sunroof at all, so the pano is probably a no.
My wife and I hate the steps, she's 5'3" and I'm 5'9". Do your research here to see if you need or want them.
And I keep hearing about the 43 too, but haven't seen any real evidence or stuff to confirm it. Go to the dealership and press the salesperson on this. In fact, ask a couple different ones. I would want the 43 over the 400 but just haven't seen any hard evidence for it in the states yet. Other countries, yes, in the US, no. Good luck.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 10-28-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well.... "ordering a GLE400" is kindof way late - unless there is something in pipeline that matches..

Now - end November wanting to order for December delivery on GLE/GLS - frankly you better hop on it - this ain't StarTrek Generations ordering Earl Grey hot !
Old 11-02-2016, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Audi A6, 2008 C350 W204, 2010 BMW F10, 2012 Porsche Carrera S 991, 2014 E350 W212
Advise: Wait till 2017 for the GLE 43. Someone just posted a thread about GLE 43 replacing 400.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by yxc145
Advise: Wait till 2017 for the GLE 43. Someone just posted a thread about GLE 43 replacing 400.

I already talked to 3 dealers. Two of the them said thatthey thought may be a model change in 2018 of GLE and possible the GLE 43 would be out then. One said he heard rumors of a GLE 43. Well, possibly they wanted to be sure I just got the GLE 400 now without waiting. I do need something soon, so if I can't wait until 2018, I may need to get something now. I will do some more research and see.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLE43W4
The production date that I have for my 2017 GLE43 Full SUV is Jan 2nd 2017 with delivery in Feb. 2017. Check with your dealerships. The Full size SUV model is GLE43W4. The coupe version is GLE43C4.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
Originally Posted by rocky12
I already talked to 3 dealers. Two of the them said thatthey thought may be a model change in 2018 of GLE and possible the GLE 43 would be out then. One said he heard rumors of a GLE 43. Well, possibly they wanted to be sure I just got the GLE 400 now without waiting. I do need something soon, so if I can't wait until 2018, I may need to get something now. I will do some more research and see.

Thanks.
Most of the time, the dealer really just want you to buy a car out of the inventory and won't tell you the truth and the truth is the 43 is coming sooner than whatever date they told you. It's already been officially announced and if you can wait, I would recommend it as you get alot more for the same money, especially if you are into the performance aspects.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did you buy anything? The 43 is now officially on the MB web site. I like it but I don't think it commands an almost $9000 increase over my comparably equipped 400.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:25 PM

Just about ready ...

Did you buy anything? The 43 is now officially on the MB web site. I like it but I don't think it commands an almost $9000 increase over my comparably equipped 400.
This is interesting since I actually checked the site 2 days ago and the 43 wasn't on it - and now it is. I decided to take everyone's advice and wait for the 43 anyways. I checked with 3 local dealers and each said they have "slots" available that can still be changed for the first week in January.

The problem is that I really don't want to order until I drive this. From what I've read, I think we'll like it. We could drive a 43 coupe since it will have the same engine, but won't weigh the same or handle the same, I'm sure. I did read something to the effect that it will be possible to adjust the stiffness of the suspension. Have you read this anywhere? One dealer I spoke to said I could order one, and if it doesn't have any "crazy" combo of options, and don't like it, we don't need to buy it. I wonder how true that is.

The current "build" we're considering is as follows:
Black metallic or Brilliant Blue Metallic
20" black wheels
Crystal gray/black leather interior
Burl walnut wood trim
P2 Package
Parking Assist package
4 years/40,000 miles Prepaid Maintenance

I'm curious how you came up with a difference of $9,000? The difference I'm seeing is $1,500 in base price and an additional $1,620 for leather interior, which is a total of $3,120.

So, we may wait until one comes into a dealership and drive it, which may mean waiting until February to order one, or order one now, hoping we like it. I'll let everyone know.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The packages are a lot more expensive now from when I bought my 400 (picked it up early March). My equipped 400 came to just under 72 if I remember right. When I built a 43 and added the same options I got (some where standard on mine like leather, heated and cooled cup holders....... And shouldn't a 67k car have leather?) to make the car similar to mine, it was just over 80k. I just thought that was a little high for the car.
I don't know about the suspension adjusting but most AMG cars have a dial to adjust it. I'm not sure if these newer entry level AMGs have it.
And also as far as the dealership letting you back out, I know mine will as long as I don't order anything too wild or special. It looks like your current build will be pretty "generic" as long as you pick the black exterior.
I would drive a suv model to feel the room, blindspots, and everything else. Then I would drive a 43 coupe and feel and hear the engine. Then I would determine if I go ahead and pull the trigger.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:30 AM

The packages are a lot more expensive now from when I bought my 400 (picked it up early March). My equipped 400 came to just under 72 if I remember right. When I built a 43 and added the same options I got (some where standard on mine like leather, heated and cooled cup holders....... And shouldn't a 67k car have leather?) to make the car similar to mine, it was just over 80k. I just thought that was a little high for the car.
I don't know about the suspension adjusting but most AMG cars have a dial to adjust it. I'm not sure if these newer entry level AMGs have it.
And also as far as the dealership letting you back out, I know mine will as long as I don't order anything too wild or special. It looks like your current build will be pretty "generic" as long as you pick the black exterior.
I would drive a suv model to feel the room, blindspots, and everything else. Then I would drive a 43 coupe and feel and hear the engine. Then I would determine if I go ahead and pull the trigger.
I know heated and cooled cupholders are part of the P2 package now - I'm reasonably sure they are part of the P2 for the GLE400. In any case, we don't usually eat or drink in the car - we tend to be nutty about those things -so we probably won't make much use of them. I'd be getting the P2 namely for the addition of the LEDs for high beams.

You're positively correct in what you say concerning leather NOT Being standard now on the GLE43. I think it is a marketing ploy for them to boost the price another $1,620 for this vehicle, since it has always been included as standard for the GLE400 series.

I'll need to look into the suspension adjustment, since my wife really doesn't want too hard a ride. When I had put Bilsteins in one of our BMWs she wasn't real happy.

We are quite certain on getting the gray interior. We just like the looks of a lighter inside with a darker outside and the tan/beige didn't appeal to us as much. For some reason, we haven't seen too many of any model with that interior. I hope it's not a mistake.

We actually have driven the GLE400 a number of times - that's how we discovered that it felt less powerful than we would have liked at low speeds. We probably will take your suggestion and try out the GLE43 coupe to checkout the engine. It obviously will behave differently in a heavier car - but I think it will be an improvement over the current engine in the GLE400.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:50 PM
dbj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 400
GLE 400 ready for pickup

Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving to all:
This is my first post but I've been following the discussion. Will be picking up my first MB. I order a 400 heavily built out (didn't pop for the B&O or pano roof). I need advice from those wiser. I had read in this thread about the AMG GLE 43 SUV and when I questioned my dealer he said the 400 would be put to rest the second quarter of 2017 and the 43 not out until 2018. It looks like to me that the time table has been pushed up. I no longer see the 400 advertised on the MB site and not available through the build. My 400 has the 9g-tronic trans. The difference that I can see between the 43 and 400 is improved performance of the engine/transmission/brakes. How much difference is there? (the increase in about $1800 over the base of the 400 is not a factor) With my style of driving I might not know the difference. Should I make a stink or just love what I've ordered. The dealer has been nothing but nice to me.

Selenite grey with crystal grey interior
prem pack 3
3 zone climate control
active curve
airmatic suspension
multicontour heated/ventilated seats, passenger memory

thanks
dbj

Last edited by dbj; 11-23-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:49 PM

Not a problem - eitehr way

Originally Posted by dbj
Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving to all:
This is my first post but I've been following the discussion. Will be picking up my first MB. I order a 400 heavily built out (didn't pop for the B&O or pano roof). I need advice from those wiser. I had read in this thread about the AMG GLE 43 SUV and when I questioned my dealer he said the 400 would be put to rest the second quarter of 2017 and the 43 not out until 2018. It looks like to me that the time table has been pushed up. I no longer see the 400 advertised on the MB site and not available through the build. My 400 has the 9g-tronic trans. The difference that I can see between the 43 and 400 is improved performance of the engine/transmission/brakes. How much difference is there? (the increase in about $1800 over the base of the 400 is not a factor) With my style of driving I might not know the difference. Should I make a stink or just love what I've ordered. The dealer has been nothing but nice to me.

Selenite grey with crystal grey interior
prem pack 3
3 zone climate control
active curve
airmatic suspension
multicontour heated/ventilated seats, passenger memory

thanks
dbj
First of all - I like your choice of colors. We're also thinking in terms of the crystal gray interior, even though have never seen one in the wild or in a lot in a GLE, but have seen it on a sedan and it looks nice.

As far as the dealer's "honesty" in not telling you about the GLE43 SUV, from what I have seen, and I have been at a few dealerships - they really didn't know the GLE43 would be out so soon. When I spoke to them, after having learned about the GLE43 SUV from this group, I asked the dealers to look for the "GLE43W4" specifically and lo and behold they found it. One salesman had the nerve to tell me there were No Differences (he even argued with me on that point), the said they just changed the name. Now, they could have known and just wanted to sell me something right away, but who knows for sure.

We have decided to wait, since it is only a couple more months, and we have already delayed our decision. The earliest date from what I have heard, is you can get a slot (if available) for the first week in January, to be delivered end of January or first week in February.

So, here are the concrete differences, that I know of:
1. The engine is more powerful 362 hp vs 320.
2. The transmission is the 9G - i have seen reports where the GLE400 was a 7G or 9G - but from what I was told, it is a 7G.
3. Since it is an AMG tuned vehicle, and I checked the website, the suspension is adjustable, which is not standard (or an option?) on the GLE400.
4. Leather is NOT Included - extra $1620 I guess.
5. The body looks slightly different.
6. There are the red/blue AMG Badges in addition to the "43" on the exterior.
7. And, yes, the diff in price is close what you have stated - $1500.
(so for leather and price diff, you are paying an extra $3120 to get the GLE 43 to start off with)

The main reason we will wait is we really want a more peppy engine, since I felt that the 400 lagged a bit from 0-30 due to the turbo, and I was told the 362hp engine would compensate for this. We will probably drive a GLE43 coupe soon to check this, but will still wait I think to drive a GLE43 SUV before ordering.

So, if the acceleration is not a problem, and you want to save $3150 retail, stick with what you've got. If not, and you’re worried about resale, since it is a somewhat different vehicle, and the extra $ is not a big deal, then wait. We’re going to wait. If the dealer is nice, and since what you have ordered is probably something he could sell anyways, since none of your options are outrageous, maybe you can just pass on it, and order a GLE43. If not, the GLE400 is still a great car and I'm sure you'll like it.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:39 PM
dbj

GLE 400
Thanks Rocky you've been very helpful. The comparison summary is appreciated. Black Friday is the pickup date and I feel more prepared. I like the latest greatest but know that around the corner changes await. Mine does have the 9g. I'm not a sophisticated driver and will pay particular attention when accelerating at lower speeds. If you have to have a dilemma, this is a pretty good one to have.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by dbj
Thanks Rocky you've been very helpful. The comparison summary is appreciated. Black Friday is the pickup date and I feel more prepared. I like the latest greatest but know that around the corner changes await. Mine does have the 9g. I'm not a sophisticated driver and will pay particular attention when accelerating at lower speeds. If you have to have a dilemma, this is a pretty good one to have.
Best of luck to you on your new vehicle. I'm certain you'll be happy, since this is precisely what we were going to get before we heard about the new model, so we both must be right. Please take pictures of the inside and outside and post them. Also, please post any follow-up impressions after a few weeks.

Curious on how long it took from build to delivery.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:01 AM
dbj

GLE 400
I'll post pics. I placed the order with the dealer Aug 31st. Actual build process was started 1st week in November. I'm in Alabama and was told that would shorten the delivery travel time. It arrived last week.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:57 PM
dbj

GLE 400
After a week I wanted to give an update on my experience and initial experience with the 400. Rocky was very helpful and provided me insight into checking my experience at low speed. It had the pick-up that I needed, much better than the 350. I suspect I have one of the last GLE400s built. Consider my comments as a rationalization because I did keep the 400 and didn't make any effort to see if I had options to re-order the AMG 43. If given the choice, I would have definitely waited for the AMG 43. First the difference in price may not be as great as it seems. The 43 is listed ~$1500 more but there might be more than the increase in HP and AMG tuning. (My 400 does have the 9g). If the adaptive damping system on the 43 includes airmatic air suspension, that was a $1610 add on I took in order to get the active curve (another 2,900). The airmatic would pay for the difference if it is included. I'm more of a comfort than sport driver and I'm very pleased with both pricey options having driven a GLE350 for the day. The ride is noticeably smoother with active curve.

I think the 43 has 2 sport modes. I don't know how the one sport mode on mine compares to either of those. I'm happy with only one and don't expect I'll use it all that much. On the highway when going from comfort to sport I downshift from 9 to 6. When in my hilly neighborhood I dropped from 6 to 4. So for me a sporty drive translates into a less efficient energy experience.

So why did I drive the 350? Well my 400 came with a rear axle oil seal leak, noted after owning it for about 4 hours. Not thrilled but I got the 350 as a loaner and took my frustration out on it and did a lot of comparing. I got to work out the paddle shifters which I was reluctant to do on mine. Just in case I screwed something up. There really is no comparison. Even though the 400 is not an AMG it has much more punch than the 350, I can only imagine how much better the 43 will be.

Some other initial thoughts. If you're going to get the pano roof, rethink that option and put that money somewhere else. I changed that out on my original order for the multi-contour seats. I didn't know anything more about the seats other than what I read. I hadn't sat in them or even seen them. After a week, they are lights out compared to the seats in the 350. There are so many variations to the settings that you can really get the seat to fit your body. I particularly like the lateral support. The message feature is OK but I haven't used much. Probably on a long trip will come in handy. Also consider the 3-zone heating. The back seat passenger can have it their way without bugging you. And it looked like that there is more individual control for the front passengers than what I saw in the 350.

Regarding color also something I hadn't seen but wanted and very pleased with. I got the selenite grey with crystal grey/black interior. It looks more white than grey. I'm sure it will get dirty but for now looks cool. The manager was smart enough to change the headliner from my black choice to crystal grey. It makes the car much brighter and provides a nice contrast. I picked the open pore brown ash and wood steering wheel. I've been meaning to take some pictures but day job has gotten in the way.

Hope some of that will help someone else.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Originally Posted by dbj
After a week I wanted to give an update on my experience and initial experience with the 400. Rocky was very helpful and provided me insight into checking my experience at low speed. It had the pick-up that I needed, much better than the 350. I suspect I have one of the last GLE400s built. Consider my comments as a rationalization because I did keep the 400 and didn't make any effort to see if I had options to re-order the AMG 43. If given the choice, I would have definitely waited for the AMG 43. First the difference in price may not be as great as it seems. The 43 is listed ~$1500 more but there might be more than the increase in HP and AMG tuning. (My 400 does have the 9g). If the adaptive damping system on the 43 includes airmatic air suspension, that was a $1610 add on I took in order to get the active curve (another 2,900). The airmatic would pay for the difference if it is included. I'm more of a comfort than sport driver and I'm very pleased with both pricey options having driven a GLE350 for the day. The ride is noticeably smoother with active curve.

I think the 43 has 2 sport modes. I don't know how the one sport mode on mine compares to either of those. I'm happy with only one and don't expect I'll use it all that much. On the highway when going from comfort to sport I downshift from 9 to 6. When in my hilly neighborhood I dropped from 6 to 4. So for me a sporty drive translates into a less efficient energy experience.

So why did I drive the 350? Well my 400 came with a rear axle oil seal leak, noted after owning it for about 4 hours. Not thrilled but I got the 350 as a loaner and took my frustration out on it and did a lot of comparing. I got to work out the paddle shifters which I was reluctant to do on mine. Just in case I screwed something up. There really is no comparison. Even though the 400 is not an AMG it has much more punch than the 350, I can only imagine how much better the 43 will be.

Some other initial thoughts. If you're going to get the pano roof, rethink that option and put that money somewhere else. I changed that out on my original order for the multi-contour seats. I didn't know anything more about the seats other than what I read. I hadn't sat in them or even seen them. After a week, they are lights out compared to the seats in the 350. There are so many variations to the settings that you can really get the seat to fit your body. I particularly like the lateral support. The message feature is OK but I haven't used much. Probably on a long trip will come in handy. Also consider the 3-zone heating. The back seat passenger can have it their way without bugging you. And it looked like that there is more individual control for the front passengers than what I saw in the 350.

Regarding color also something I hadn't seen but wanted and very pleased with. I got the selenite grey with crystal grey/black interior. It looks more white than grey. I'm sure it will get dirty but for now looks cool. The manager was smart enough to change the headliner from my black choice to crystal grey. It makes the car much brighter and provides a nice contrast. I picked the open pore brown ash and wood steering wheel. I've been meaning to take some pictures but day job has gotten in the way.

Hope some of that will help someone else.

I also ordered multicontour seats without even seeing them, can you give me some real info about the differences from the standart ones, apart from the massage function. Do they have better lateral support, and if yes only on the back part or both seat and back? MB state they can extend the thigh support, but visually I don't see such possibility on the pics, can you throw some more light on the multicontour seats, I'm taking delivery after about a month.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 GLC 300 Coupe, Past ‘12 ML350 & ‘17 GLE AMG43 Coupe
Originally Posted by yavor
I also ordered multicontour seats without even seeing them, can you give me some real info about the differences from the standart ones, apart from the massage function. Do they have better lateral support, and if yes only on the back part or both seat and back? MB state they can extend the thigh support, but visually I don't see such possibility on the pics, can you throw some more light on the multicontour seats, I'm taking delivery after about a month.
The multi contour seats offer infinite adjustment and support on the front and side of the seat portion while the seat back is also infinitely adjustable on the sides and including lumbar providing great lateral support. These functions are great for different size passenger/drivers and long trips. These adjustments are in addition to the regular adjustability.

The regular seats only provide the multi directional adjustability on the door and fatigue sets in on long drives. They don't look different than regular seats. IMHO They are absolutely worth the price.

Last edited by AS705; 12-04-2016 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Typo

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.