Sponsored By:

Torque / HP readings...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
Torque / HP readings...

In the GLE43 engine data screen, it displays "live" torque and HP numbers.

Does anyone know "where" those numbers come from? Are they "real", or are they just calculated off of throttle position sensor and a bunch of other inputs. And, if they're real, what sensors are they using to get them?

I've noticed that when you mash the accelerator in Sport+ mode, it will almost always top out at the max torque/HP numbers.

I've also noticed that when you're driving down the road at 60MPH the numbers "feel" lower than I would think. Those numbers are down in the 35-40 HP range, which seems awfully low to move a 5000lb vehicle down the road.

Just curious more than anything...
Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I don't know exactly where they come from either but I agree with you, sometimes they seem low. For example, when I tow my 5000lb (+/-) boat out of the water and up the boat launch ramp, the numbers seem very low. I'm not using a lot of the skinny pedal but I just thought it would take more (pedal pressure and engine data) to get that much weight moving. So because of the slight pedal pressure and not much engine HP or torque readings, I assumed it was actually measured off the engine and/or transmission somehow.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
... I assumed it was actually measured off the engine and/or transmission somehow.
I guess that it could be a reading off of a pressure transducer in the transmission, which would be possible...
Old 02-14-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
It is unlikely that there are any sensors measuring torque and doing the HP calculation. It is far more likely they are calculating torque based off the other engine parameters. They likely build this map while they are tuning an engine in development. When it is being tested they will be able to see how much torque & HP is being produced under all sorts of conditions. Computing power has advanced to the point where storing and displaying these extra bits of data isn't getting in the way of other features/functions.

Seeing only 30 - 40 hp being used while at cruise is perfectly normal. Once you get the mass moving, keeping it moving doesn't take a lot of effort. Getting it going or stopped is what takes the effort.