GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

GLE63S AMG vs Range Rover SC vs G63 AMG vs Others

Old 01-01-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML63 AMG, 2013 GLK350, 2014 C63 AMG 507
GLE63S AMG vs Range Rover SC vs G63 AMG vs Others

First off, i would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Well now that it is the new year i have been searching for a replacement vehicle for my 2013 GLK350 and/or 2009 ML63 AMG. There both great vehicles and i have enjoyed them during my time of ownership however its time to find a new daily driver. My GLK was for daily driving mostly and alternating with my ML63. Before the GLK i had a Mazda 3 for a daily and the ML63 mostly for weekend. I now use my C63 for a weekend car and occasionally during the week.
Anyways after conducting some research for replacements, i came up with either the new GLE63 S AMG COUPE/ SUV, Range Rover Sport SVR or a Range Rover SC Autobiography, G63 AMG or others such as BMW X5M or the upcoming SRT Track Hawk or Porsche Cayenne Turbo/S

out of all these i would like another Mercedes or maybe a different brand. I have looked into the GLE63 S/ and GLE63 S Coupé both are fairly good however my only concern for them between the SUV and Coupe is the exhausts that are available. In Canada, i have asked my local MB dealer about the difference between The Performance exhaust, and the exhaust options offered in the US, such as Sports exhaust and Dynamic exhaust, i havent really gotten an answer. With the coupe it has the blowback and back fires, im not sure if the suv and coupe have different exhaust but the coupe seems louder.

the next suv i looked into was a G63 AMG, its unique and has a nice road presence.

I then inquired about the Range Rover SVR vs the Range Rover SC ( the regular big range rover) i liked the options and off road capability of the range rover.

Finally the others such as the X5M or Track Hawk or Cayenne, are good in my opinion, however im only considering them as potential substitute if need be.The only thing selling me on the track hawk would the price and horsepower it could offer. With X5M it more about choosing a different brand than my current cars and finally with the cayenne its also about a different brand.

im sorry its very long winded. I would like an opinion on what to purchase next as it will be my daily for at least 1yr to 2yr give or take. Also i will most likely be selling or trading in my GLk and/or Ml63

Thank you.

Last edited by nandra01; 01-02-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordered AMG GLE 63 S Coupe
Just depends on the area you live at and what you are planning to use the vehicle for. If you live in Colorado and plan on off roading definitely go with RR or G63 AMG. If you enjoy a loud exhaust, fast acceleration and a unique look, go with the GLE 63s coupe or possibly Cayenne Turbo/s. If you need more interior room, go with GLE 63s SUV or RR. If your into significantly downgrading everything except horsepower, go with Trail Hawk.
Range rovers are nice, but they are everywhere and the interior doesn't come close to the quality of MB.
I got delivery of my GLE 63s coupe in October and love it! Obsidian Black color with Black pack and every option including Bang & Olfusen sound system and performance exhaust👌 I only drive it when their is no snow/rain. In fact, the GLE has never seen rain or snow. I hand wash it myself using a 2 bucket system and enjoy doing that. My regular daily driver is 2012 Jaguar XFR.
I just love the unique look of the coupe.
I have only seen 1 other 63s version.
Hope that helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ridgeback:
nandra01 (01-04-2017), shawndh (10-15-2023)
Old 01-04-2017, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ridgeback
Just depends on the area you live at and what you are planning to use the vehicle for. If you live in Colorado and plan on off roading definitely go with RR or G63 AMG. If you enjoy a loud exhaust, fast acceleration and a unique look, go with the GLE 63s coupe or possibly Cayenne Turbo/s. If you need more interior room, go with GLE 63s SUV or RR. If your into significantly downgrading everything except horsepower, go with Trail Hawk.
Range rovers are nice, but they are everywhere and the interior doesn't come close to the quality of MB.
I got delivery of my GLE 63s coupe in October and love it! Obsidian Black color with Black pack and every option including Bang & Olfusen sound system and performance exhaust👌 I only drive it when their is no snow/rain. In fact, the GLE has never seen rain or snow. I hand wash it myself using a 2 bucket system and enjoy doing that. My regular daily driver is 2012 Jaguar XFR.
I just love the unique look of the coupe.
I have only seen 1 other 63s version.
Hope that helps.
Thank you for your response. The replacement vehicle i choose most likely will my daily and probably for driving in the city and highways. I do like to go off roading and the Range Rover or the G63 would be perfect for the task. I like the Cayenne Turbo S, it has lots of options and the exclusivity, i will probably test drive it and the GLE and then decide which one and narrow down the search. I do like the GLE63S coupe and the GLE63S SUV they are both amazing vehicles. Interior or space wouldn't really be much problem with with either of the SUV or coupe. I could go with a car like the E63 AMG S with the m157 or wait for the newer one with the m177, but then i really would be able to go off road or haul anything lol. Also for the track hawk, im not looking to downgrade, i purely wanted it for the hellcat horsepower although an ecu tune can bring either of the SUV or Coupes up significantly. I will book a test drive this week to test out the Cayenne Turbo s and the Range Rover SVR and or the Supercharged V8 full sized range rover. I do have a question, between the GLE63S SUV and the Coupe which one did you find louder? Also do both have pronounced backfires in Sport+?
Thank you once again for your response

Cheers
Old 01-04-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordered AMG GLE 63 S Coupe
I did not drive the GLE63s SUV so I am not familiar with the note of the exhaust. The coupe version does spit and backfire a lot in sport+ which I enjoy. Let me know what you think of the SVR and Cayenne after you test drive them.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:22 AM

I finally booked test drives for the Cayenne turbo S at my local Porsche Centre and For the Range Rover SVR. Test drives for Friday for both vehicles as this will me drive them back to back and see which i like better. Will keep everyone posted and my thoughts after the drive.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 AMG S63 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by nandra01
I finally booked test drives for the Cayenne turbo S at my local Porsche Centre and For the Range Rover SVR. Test drives for Friday for both vehicles as this will me drive them back to back and see which i like better. Will keep everyone posted and my thoughts after the drive.

Cheers
What exactly is your definition of off road? Because honestly a Cayenne Turbo S or RR SVR with those low-profile tires and huge wheels aren't going to go very far. Yes, I've seen all the cool online videos of these cars going off road. What you don't see is all the times they have to pull over and the company techs change flat tires due to damaged side walls. I learned that when I went on a Land Rover Experience day.

Anyways, if you're just clomping over light trails every now and then I'd go check out the GLE63 Coupe for the exclusivity factor.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
GLE63S Coupe and the RR SVR are two of the best sounding vehicles on the road. Cayenne will come off a little boring in that department. I would take one of those two as they are a little rarer.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 e63s wagon
i like my GLE 63's
Old 03-26-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
I agree with the above comments. The build quality and appearance in the GLE63S is second to none. I was just in a Porsche Cayenne, and it's definitely nice on the interior with lots of Alcantara, and sleek on the exterior, but the GLE seems much more refined and GQ while looking aggressive, both on the interior and exterior. And driving it in Sport+ mode is honestly one of THE most fun experiences of ANY vehicle I've driven - sports cars included.

Originally Posted by nandra01
I do have a question, between the GLE63S SUV and the Coupe which one did you find louder? Also do both have pronounced backfires in Sport+?
Thank you once again for your response

Cheers
GLE63S SUV is brutally loud and the backfires will continue to make you grin literally from ear to ear.

One of the things that makes the exhaust note, rumble, and backfires so loud and prominent is the large open trunk. For comparison, for example, you'll find the exhaust sounds much more subdued in the C63S - until you lay the rear seats forward, opening the trunk to the cabin.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:29 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
I have test driven the cayenne, the Macan, the Audi Q5 and the RR supercharged as well as the G65 in comparison to the GLE63S. Also tried the Bentayga. Scheduled for the Urus.

I chose to buy two GLE63S’s. One in white/espresso/poplar, and one in silver/black/carbon fibre. All wheels black with night packages.

They are are just very powerful, versatile, drive like sports cars, and can be loaded for a day of skiing, hiking, weekend trips, etc. The G Wagon drives poorly and to me is just a status symbol. The Cayenne doesn’t drive as nice and sounds unimpressive - though it is fast. The cayenne does not have as much internal room. The SQ5 is simply not in the same class, and the RR drives nice, but not nearly as zippy and very cheaply built on the inside for the price. RR’s are also notorious for being unreliable.

My GLE63’S are 2016’s and I’m about to order 2019 replacements. This time, I’m Going to take the sound system upgrades and the night vision packages. They’re that good.

The only vehicle that comes close for me is the Bentayga.....but at triple the price. I am scheduled to test drive the Lambo Urus, but it is about 2.5 times the price. Still might be worth it, though. Test drive is in March.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan, 2018 GLS 63
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
I have test driven the cayenne, the Macan, the Audi Q5 and the RR supercharged as well as the G65 in comparison to the GLE63S. Also tried the Bentayga. Scheduled for the Urus.

I chose to buy two GLE63S’s. One in white/espresso/poplar, and one in silver/black/carbon fibre. All wheels black with night packages.

They are are just very powerful, versatile, drive like sports cars, and can be loaded for a day of skiing, hiking, weekend trips, etc. The G Wagon drives poorly and to me is just a status symbol. The Cayenne doesn’t drive as nice and sounds unimpressive - though it is fast. The cayenne does not have as much internal room. The SQ5 is simply not in the same class, and the RR drives nice, but not nearly as zippy and very cheaply built on the inside for the price. RR’s are also notorious for being unreliable.

My GLE63’S are 2016’s and I’m about to order 2019 replacements. This time, I’m Going to take the sound system upgrades and the night vision packages. They’re that good.

The only vehicle that comes close for me is the Bentayga.....but at triple the price. I am scheduled to test drive the Lambo Urus, but it is about 2.5 times the price. Still might be worth it, though. Test drive is in March.
i know this is an old thread, but did you test drive the urus? I have a gls 63 now and I’m debating on the 2021 gls 63 and the urus. The wife has the gle 450. I test drove the urus a while ago, but wasn’t long enough to see if it’s comfortable for every day driving. Curious what you thought. The bentayga just didn’t do it for me. Very elegant, but not for me
Old 08-09-2020, 06:09 PM

GLE63S 2016
Thumbs up The G-Wagon is absolutely a Status Symbol - and it delivers

Originally Posted by Delta5275
i know this is an old thread, but did you test drive the urus? I have a gls 63 now and I’m debating on the 2021 gls 63 and the urus. The wife has the gle 450. I test drove the urus a while ago, but wasn’t long enough to see if it’s comfortable for every day driving. Curious what you thought. The bentayga just didn’t do it for me. Very elegant, but not for me

I have test driven the Urus and liked its power and handling....but it was, in my opinion, cheaply appointed given its price. I also didn't like the relative lack of cargo room in the hatch, and I found that the new direction they took with the two large touch panels, to be very distracting while driving. The deal killer for me, though, was the turning radius, which is by far the worst in the class. I heard that the new ones have rear wheel steering, which should overcome most of that serious limitation.

I opted instead for a 2019 G63, which is totally redesigned. Everything about this vehicle exudes class and capability. It accelerates from 0-60 easily in 3.5s, and I've had mine fording through 3 ft of water, followed by climbing 45 degree rocky slopes.....then taking my wife out for an elegant dinner, dressed to the nines. The handling is amazing and the massage seats with active bolsters and absolutely airtight and soundproof cabin exceed the best that Bentley can offer. Seating position is also very high, and you have a clear and unobstructed view of everything from traffic to grizzly bears. I liked it so much that I decided to buy it outright instead of leasing it. I have not bought a vehicle in many years.
The sound system is amazing, and resembles a concert hall. Most people are shocked at the sound for everything from Vivaldi's the Four Seasons to Arrowsmith's greatest hits.

You are correct that it is very much a status symbol - but it easily earns that title. Mine is diamond white with night package and Macchiato beige diamond seats with the silvered wood - which iridesces silver in the sun. At night, the cockpit lighting is dynamic and can reflect anything from the outside temperature/weather to a gentle cyclic progression through the light spectrum.

It is super cool.

The GLE63S is also so amazing that I have a new 2021 on order. I hope it arrives soon. It is apparently one of the best engineered and best appointment SUV's in the business. The MBUX will make it a killer, as will the new Adaptive ride suspension that works on the new 48V electric system.

I looked at a Lambourghini and am on the fence about it. I was looking at an EVO Spyder in balloon white with black wheels. I'm going to test drive it this weekend and will write my impressions.

I currently lease a 2018 GTC that must be returned next August. I absolutely LOVE the vehicle. It is easily the best and most practical GT out there, and I will probably get a GTR Roadster (convertible) next. But the Lambo has AWD and is very tempting to me. If the GT series comes out with AWD every - it will be an unbeatable GT.

BTW: my daughter bought a new 2020 A250 hatch. What an amazing vehicle. VERY peppy and like driving a super large and opulent go cart. It's like playing mariokart every time you get behind the wheel. I can't imagine the A45 if we ever get one here in Canada....I'm going to totally get one when it does....

Old 08-09-2020, 07:17 PM

I have test driven the Urus and liked its power and handling....but it was, in my opinion, cheaply appointed given its price. I also didn't like the relative lack of cargo room in the hatch, and I found that the new direction they took with the two large touch panels, to be very distracting while driving. The deal killer for me, though, was the turning radius, which is by far the worst in the class. I heard that the new ones have rear wheel steering, which should overcome most of that serious limitation.

I opted instead for a 2019 G63, which is totally redesigned. Everything about this vehicle exudes class and capability. It accelerates from 0-60 easily in 3.5s, and I've had mine fording through 3 ft of water, followed by climbing 45 degree rocky slopes.....then taking my wife out for an elegant dinner, dressed to the nines. The handling is amazing and the massage seats with active bolsters and absolutely airtight and soundproof cabin exceed the best that Bentley can offer. Seating position is also very high, and you have a clear and unobstructed view of everything from traffic to grizzly bears. I liked it so much that I decided to buy it outright instead of leasing it. I have not bought a vehicle in many years.
The sound system is amazing, and resembles a concert hall. Most people are shocked at the sound for everything from Vivaldi's the Four Seasons to Arrowsmith's greatest hits.

You are correct that it is very much a status symbol - but it easily earns that title. Mine is diamond white with night package and Macchiato beige diamond seats with the silvered wood - which iridesces silver in the sun. At night, the cockpit lighting is dynamic and can reflect anything from the outside temperature/weather to a gentle cyclic progression through the light spectrum.

It is super cool.

The GLE63S is also so amazing that I have a new 2021 on order. I hope it arrives soon. It is apparently one of the best engineered and best appointment SUV's in the business. The MBUX will make it a killer, as will the new Adaptive ride suspension that works on the new 48V electric system.

I looked at a Lambourghini and am on the fence about it. I was looking at an EVO Spyder in balloon white with black wheels. I'm going to test drive it this weekend and will write my impressions.

I currently lease a 2018 GTC that must be returned next August. I absolutely LOVE the vehicle. It is easily the best and most practical GT out there, and I will probably get a GTR Roadster (convertible) next. But the Lambo has AWD and is very tempting to me. If the GT series comes out with AWD every - it will be an unbeatable GT.

BTW: my daughter bought a new 2020 A250 hatch. What an amazing vehicle. VERY peppy and like driving a super large and opulent go cart. It's like playing mariokart every time you get behind the wheel. I can't imagine the A45 if we ever get one here in Canada....I'm going to totally get one when it does....
thanks for the info about the Urus. I do like the look of it, color options ect especially how you can design the interior, but the size is one of my fears. I do need some room in the rear seats for family members. Very interesting regarding the turning ratio. The car is appealing , but I’m not sure if it’s long term and how comfortable it will be after an hour. The g is cool, but with my wife having the new mbux in her GLE 450, I couldn’t go back to not having the mbux. Plus , handkng is a big factor for me. I’m probably going to end up with the gls 63, but I’m very torn between the tartufo and macchiato beige. We also will have a newborn shortly, so that was my fear with the urus. However, the gle is currently our family car. The evo is a great car. I love the sound of the v10.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:06 PM

GLE63S 2016
Macchiato Beige is super classy. Tartufo is also nice, but a lot more common than Macchiato. Also, the Tartufo comes in a plain seat, while the Macchiato beige comes in the super classy diamond stitching that adds just that extra element of detail that pushes it up from great to awesome.

I would not worry about the lighter colour getting stained or anything. You just have the ceramic coating applied to the leather and Bob's you uncle. I reapply the ceramic coating to my leather annually - I do it myself. Great easy application product from the Chemical Guys, though you might want to try a test patch just in case.

I also added www.diamondfloormatts.com to all of my vehicles. Excellent product. Easy to clean and I also coated them in the ceramic coating.....makes them also waterproof. BTW: the stereo upgrade is totally worth it in the GLE.....but not in the GT. The stock stereo int he GT is just fine with the top down and cruising at 200 kph.....

Old 08-09-2020, 09:49 PM

Macchiato Beige is super classy. Tartufo is also nice, but a lot more common than Macchiato. Also, the Tartufo comes in a plain seat, while the Macchiato beige comes in the super classy diamond stitching that adds just that extra element of detail that pushes it up from great to awesome.

I would not worry about the lighter colour getting stained or anything. You just have the ceramic coating applied to the leather and Bob's you uncle. I reapply the ceramic coating to my leather annually - I do it myself. Great easy application product from the Chemical Guys, though you might want to try a test patch just in case.

I also added www.diamondfloormatts.com to all of my vehicles. Excellent product. Easy to clean and I also coated them in the ceramic coating.....makes them also waterproof. BTW: the stereo upgrade is totally worth it in the GLE.....but not in the GT. The stock stereo int he GT is just fine with the top down and cruising at 200 kph.....
I was alittle nervous about the lighter color, but ceramic coating seems to be the solution. I had the nut brown on my 18 s63 and loved it. I wish they had more options on the GLS. I like the tartufo, but no the biggest fan of the design. Just the color. I might do some Brabus to the car. Possibly the interior, but certainly a tune and exhaust.