GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Mercedes GLK reliability -- better info ASAP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 4Matic
Numero uno, thanks for that. I grew up using "foot pounds" but later on, I heard others using "pounds feet". I didn't want to be an outcast so I started using "pounds feet" also. I try to spell words correctly and use correct grammar but I stumble and fall in these friendly on-line forums.
Now, it is time for a brake...
Old 04-15-2009, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by numero uno
I'm amazed (too) at how many intelligent people mis-quote or spell incorrectly. It's no big deal. This is just a friendly chat. However, a classic example of misquotes these days is that most of us know that lbs/ft are foot pounds not pound feet like they say on some national TV shows. Csaba you should know better! Do you know anything about engines and torque. These are a measurement of pounds, not a measure of feet Mr. Csere. It tells you how many ''pounds'' are required on a rotating mass (twist on a crankshaft) to move an object one foot not how many ''feet'' it takes to move a pound. You wouldn't call a lbs/in a pound inch would you? Maybe you would. Just a snapshot of SOME of todays' society in the USA. Get it out quick and get it close enuff (oops). Back to GLK's.
I would check your facts before bashing on people. Torque is measured in pound feet or newton meters. It's convention, not misquote. What you are talking about (foot pounds) is work and is related but different. So see bellow.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n9458018/
Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM

GLK-350
Originally Posted by numero uno
I'm amazed (too) at how many intelligent people mis-quote or spell incorrectly. It's no big deal. This is just a friendly chat. However, a classic example of misquotes these days is that most of us know that lbs/ft are foot pounds not pound feet like they say on some national TV shows. Csaba you should know better! Do you know anything about engines and torque. These are a measurement of pounds, not a measure of feet Mr. Csere. It tells you how many ''pounds'' are required on a rotating mass (twist on a crankshaft) to move an object one foot not how many ''feet'' it takes to move a pound. You wouldn't call a lbs/in a pound inch would you? Maybe you would. Just a snapshot of SOME of todays' society in the USA. Get it out quick and get it close enuff (oops). Back to GLK's.
wow, what a ******
Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by rayenet
So far 296 miles on the clock and after sitting in my garage for a week, I got in to drive it and got this message. "Front Left SRS Malfunction Service Required". I hope this is not a sign of worse things to come.
The diagnosis was a bad driver's seat cable connector and harness. The good news is I just got the car back from the dealership after having to leave it there overnight. The bad news is after I got the car home, I noticed a one inch scratch on the driver's door. It was obvious that it came from another car's door being opened against mine.

I have a little over 300 miles on the odometer and now the car has a deep scratch right in the middle of the door. I am so pissed off!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by rayenet
I have a little over 300 miles on the odometer and now the car has a deep scratch right in the middle of the door. I am so pissed off!
that sucks, are you going to talk to your dealer about it? which dealer is it? locals should avoid.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by webada
that sucks, are you going to talk to your dealer about it? which dealer is it? locals should avoid.
You don't need to worry, because this dealer is Autobahn Motors in Belmont California. I've had my other cars repaired by them in the past with mixed results. Unfortunately, they happen to be the closest to me.

I did talk to them and they are going to repair it, but it will never be the same as new.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
share the pain...post some pics of the scratch
Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
share the pain...post some pics of the scratch
I'll try, but they want the car back in the morning and I don't think I can get it posted by then.

Thanks for feeling my pain, even if it's only an inch worth of damage.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Seems I picked the wrong time to forgot to select automatic notifications. Interesting discussion here.

How soon we start providing reliability stats depends on how soon enough owners sign up to participate. Not yet enough to include the GLK in the survey.

It's looking like the first 2010 we'll have results for is the Kia Soul--a couple dozen owners already signed up for it.

Car reliability research
Old 05-07-2009, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
Cool My 2 Cents ....

I want to let you all know that after talking with an inside Parts Manager of a local dealer, he summed up my query about MB quality "the Germans in respect to building MBs, are 'overdone'. Meaning they make every extra heavy-duty and long lasting. Take a look of how many MBs are still on the road, especially the older diesel models. No other German manufacture comes close to MB and this is a true fact!
I guess the reality speaks better than the words from the post?
again, just my 2 cents...
Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Some would argue that this "overengineering" isn't done nearly as much as it used to be. I personally can't say, as I haven't examined the parts.

More GLK owners have been signing up, but quite a few more are needed if we're to provide reliability stats on the model.

Car reliability research
Old 06-09-2009, 07:33 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by webada
only way you can tell reliability is by track records. in GLK's case, there are none. Think ML, it had tons of problem prior to 06 models and lets not forget w203.... In any case, you can see that MB realizes reliability is an issue in its brand, starting with the w204, the marketing has been focusing on how well its built.
Tons of problems with every car ever made & will be made.
That's what warranties are for & most cars are problem free if taken care of?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Our data suggest that taking care of a car helps prevent major mechanical problems down the road, but in the first few years electrical problems are most common. There's little maintenance can do to prevent these.

Eight GLK owners now signed up. A decent start, but more will be needed for a result.

Car reliability research
Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
OK, I signed up. How do I find the sample size of each brand/model? Eight GLKs is certainly not going to provide any statistically meaningful data.

Plus, I tried to sign up my Porsches and there aren't enough owners in my model years to open up a Reliability Survey (apparently you have to have a 2005 or older model year to participate).

This may be a total waste of time!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We need at least 25 responses for a full result. But it's still early in the 2010 model year, so with eight already we should get there.

With the Boxster and Cayman, we simply have more owners signed up so far for some earlier model years.

Current model years are prorated. With others, we require 25 owners to include the model in the main survey. Until it's included, there's no time required, so no time wasted.

The other, optional surveys have no minimum sample size. But every response is (anonymously) posted to the site, so that information is not wasted, either. More responses are always better. But even five to ten responses for fuel economy can be helpful.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A few more owners have signed up, but more remain needed. Participants get access to all results, not just any for the GLK.

Car reliability research
Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Updated results recently posted for 250+ other models, including one 2010 (the Kia Soul). Next update in November will have other 2010s, and would love to have the GLK among them. A few more participants could do it.

Car reliability research
Old 10-14-2009, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A result is looking much more likely for February than for November. A few more participants would be very helpful.

Car reliability research
Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It appears very likely that we'll have a partial result for the GLK in February. We'll also have either a partial or even full result for the Q5.

I'd like to have a full result for the GLK, of course, but this will require about twice as many participants.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:12 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
I can count at least five dozen GLK frequent/regular posters on this and other M-B forums; yet, not even 25 have signed up to report their maintenance/vehicle reliability experiences on the TrueDelta web site. Appears people aren't convinced there's any real value added to taking the time to do so. Maybe you need to try a different approach toward making your case for participation, Michael.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We'll get there.

One thing I have definitely learned from building this survey is that, eventually, persistence and patience pay off. There have been cases where I have just about given up, only to later have plenty of people involved.

It will help when we have a partial result in February. Once I'm able to show a result, more people always sign up. A fun paradox...

Last edited by mkaresh; 11-19-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:22 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Just removed my 2003 Murano from the True Delta database......it went on there very early in True Delta's existence......and added my new GLK.
When I got my Murano it immediately destroyed the myth of japanese infallibility.......
So far...only 130 miles.....the GLK is flawless.
BTW Michael, I bought my GLK for invoice.........anybody could have.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, RedRover. Hoping to have an initial stat in February. But it's going to be tight, so every additional participant really helps.

Car reliability research
Old 01-30-2010, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Made it--we'll have this initial result next month.

Everyone who helped, thanks, I certainly appreciate it.

This will be a partial result--we need seven more participants for a full result with the next update, in May.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research
Old 01-30-2010, 12:22 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Another participant

Originally Posted by mkaresh
Made it--we'll have this initial result next month.

Everyone who helped, thanks, I certainly appreciate it.

This will be a partial result--we need seven more participants for a full result with the next update, in May.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research
Just added myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes GLK reliability -- better info ASAP