GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK350: Common problems?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
Originally Posted by jpjolo
This happened to me too once... It was as if it didn't get into gear at all.
I did everything to recreate it but it never happened again.... attributed it to the shifter not engagin properly and my inexperience with the car ... I only had it for 2 days when it happened.
if you do reverse on a slope going up backward, GLK won't move without stepping on gas. Not sure if there is a difference in C/S mode but I find that if I am on stop/go traffic, S mode will move the car more when brake pedal is release.

anyways, any mild incline surface will put the car at rest.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:48 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
As webada pointed out those of you with hard downshifts might want to try reseting the transmission back to factory setting and "re-teaching" it.
I did the TCU reset yesterday. I didn't feel if it did anything or not. I will see if it helps the hard downshfits issue
Old 07-07-2009, 04:18 PM

GLK350 4 matic
My experience with the transmission has been a little different but may be attributable to the same quirks. Occasionally on slowing down, with no pressure on the gas pedal, say to turn sharply into a driveway , when pressure is applied to the gas pedal again, nothing happens. It is as though the engine has stopped or the transmission is in neutral. Flooring the gas pedal does not work too well as there is a big jerk as the transmission kicks in with high engine revs. I finally figured out that the way to handle this is to tickle the gas pedal rather than flooring it. This encourages the transmission to shift down without delay. It appears the transmission is slow to respond in these cases - scary when there is a car following. Now I have figured out a way around it there is no problem, but I will have it checked out at service time.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I'll have to experiment more, but whenever I floor it it takes off and downshifts rather smoothly. I think we also should state what mode ppl drive in. I started in S from the beginning then switched in C for break-in reasons, which I think is BS, because C puts more strain on engine and tranny by keeping rpms so low.

The only time I had a jerk is when I put transmission in N as I was rolling down the hill at 5-10 mph and didn't want engine breaking, then I put it in D and before it engaged I pushed gas pedal a bit. That produces a jerk, but I'd blame it on myself not the transmission.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 PM

GLK 350
The more and more I read about it, it reminds me of the Acura, with its 2 tranny failures in 10K. Hopefully this will get resolved quick, one of my reasons I sold that car was about 15km on it in one and a half year and 2 tranny failures I just didn't want the headache and worry when is it gonna go next.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Baby G
The more and more I read about it, it reminds me of the Acura, with its 2 tranny failures in 10K. Hopefully this will get resolved quick, one of my reasons I sold that car was about 15km on it in one and a half year and 2 tranny failures I just didn't want the headache and worry when is it gonna go next.
I doubt we should worry as the transmission is quite old and is on many other MB models. Doesn't seem that we have a pattern yet. I use manual mode sometimes to downshift all the day to first, and all downshifts are silky smooth.

Also MB's are known for their mechanical reliability, all 3rd world countries are full of 10-15 year old MB's. So I have no worries about engine tranny or suspension.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM

528i, GLK
This isn't the first time 7spd tranny has an issue, all reporting very similar coarse downshift. On other models they have been fixed with software updates.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 PM

97 E320
Trans shifting hard

I would certainly mention it at your next service visit. This problem could possibly be resolved with updating the transmission control unit software. This is a problem more common to E-Class vehicles, which were resolved with software updates.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by CTNO
I would certainly mention it at your next service visit. This problem could possibly be resolved with updating the transmission control unit software. This is a problem more common to E-Class vehicles, which were resolved with software updates.
Thanks guys for the clarification on this... if I see this issue come up, i'll be at the service center pretty quick.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:19 PM

2010 GLK, Steel Grey, Premium Package
Tail gate

We finished grocery shopping this afternoon and I was about to open the tail gate for loading. I tried pressing the key button for at least 4 times and every time the gate opened slightly and quickly closed! This happened once or twice before but never before had it happened so many times at once. I dont' know if this is something I did wrong. If not, then surely I am not too happy about this feature, espeically I have to pay extra for it as part of the premium package.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:57 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by jywu88
We finished grocery shopping this afternoon and I was about to open the tail gate for loading. I tried pressing the key button for at least 4 times and every time the gate opened slightly and quickly closed! This happened once or twice before but never before had it happened so many times at once. I dont' know if this is something I did wrong. If not, then surely I am not too happy about this feature, espeically I have to pay extra for it as part of the premium package.
Take it in for service and get it fixed... I agree it shouldn't be doing this, but thats why there is warranty. The crappy part is this is occuring so much early.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I have the same issue. I also thought that I was doing something wrong. I thought couple of times that it just knows that car is too close to the wall and would not open the tailgate.

You can always just manually pull it up.

Keep us posted on this issue.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
it probably just needs a reprogram. i had that issue but worse, i had to have the motor replaced. apparently it is a new set for MB, electric operated with hydralic assist. or vise versa. i posted a thread about it back in march. it's been perfect since.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:09 PM

2010 GLK, Steel Grey, Premium Package
Thanks for the feedback. I will monitor this for sometime and if this persists I will bring it to the dealer.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 AM

glk350
SAME TAILGATE PROBLEM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
I have the same issue. I also thought that I was doing something wrong. I thought couple of times that it just knows that car is too close to the wall and would not open the tailgate.

You can always just manually pull it up.

Keep us posted on this issue.
-----------------------------------------------------

I too have the exact same problem with my GLK350 tailgate. It won't open properly and never has. For months it only opened partially and I thought it was me. The dealer has had the car now for 5 days and can't fix it. They now say they are contacting Germany and parts may be on back order for weeks. Now I see there are others around the USA and Canada with the same malfunction and part problem.
A big hassel!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 AM

GLK 350 4Matic
The Squeak

Originally Posted by webada
Get inside the front seat and its the handle you pull to close the door. Squeeze the bar with your fingers on the plastic backside, you will hear squeaks (This doesn't happen if the car is left outside under hot sunny day, expansion of plastic..etc). Door rattles while going over bumps slowly: Turn off all AC and music. ride over bumps SLOWLY and listen to creaking sounds... its like timber grinding.

If your primiary consideration when purchasing a vehicle is reliability, then you shouldn't be looking at Germans. This is backed by JD powers. In fact, if you believe in JD Powers surveys, then Buick and Jaguars are you top choices, followed in 3rd place is Lexus.

I know exactly what I'm getting myself into when I purchased GLK; I was willing to deal with minor quirks, just like my BMW, for the great balance of engineering/drive/comfort.
My GLK350, delivered in March 2009, has the exact same squeaking issues - on the front door handles (feel and sound like cheap aluminum on plastic when pulling the doors closed) and a creaking chassis which is most obviously heard as the body flexes every time I exit my apartment via our curved underground parking ramp. My steering wheel also squeaks when turning - so all in all, quite annoying. Note: my GLK did not seem to have any chassis creaking until it received its first 6,000km maintenance check at the dealership - possible that this a coincidence? And has anyone had success in having these creaks and squeaks resolved?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 AM

2012 C250 coupe
We finished grocery shopping this afternoon and I was about to open the tail gate for loading. I tried pressing the key button for at least 4 times and every time the gate opened slightly and quickly closed! This happened once or twice before but never before had it happened so many times at once.
Same here. Took it in and dealer adjusted "striker plate". Now it happens less often but still a not right.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by shanghaiGLK
My GLK350, delivered in March 2009, has the exact same squeaking issues - on the front door handles (feel and sound like cheap aluminum on plastic when pulling the doors closed) and a creaking chassis which is most obviously heard as the body flexes every time I exit my apartment via our curved underground parking ramp. My steering wheel also squeaks when turning - so all in all, quite annoying. Note: my GLK did not seem to have any chassis creaking until it received its first 6,000km maintenance check at the dealership - possible that this a coincidence? And has anyone had success in having these creaks and squeaks resolved?
I took mine to service and indicated the problem. They had both master chief looking at the problem and was able to reproduce it (its a good sign when they admit there is a problem.) They tighten some nuts and bolts, lubed as usual and claim its 90% solved and comparable to two other GLK they tested. Its been another 500 miles since, squeaks are back. Yea, its especially audible when going through uphill/downhill curves.....
Old 08-08-2009, 09:40 AM

528i, GLK
Hmm.... are we the only two with creaking chasis?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:47 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by reyoasian
Ryan, what do you mean by electronic problems by MB?
older benzes (around really late 90s and early 2000s) were known for horrendous electronic issues. well, in general, they had a bad reliability reputation. but i believe this has been solved now. even our 2007 w203 c280 (the w203 was prone to problems when it first came out) seems to have escaped any electronics issues--except the supposed mp3 cd changer is barely capable of playing any mp3s. it'll play 'em once every hundred attempts or something.

and the best testament of all: close to 10,000 km on my glk and no issues yet! though i do notice that in the cold, there are minor rattles. come to think of it, for a first model year, i am very impressed so far.

Last edited by Ryan A.; 08-08-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
^yeah old MB's were pretty bad with electronics, on top gear they drove older CL65 AMG and the light was out

knock on wood but GLK has been just like previous toyotas, let's keep it that way.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:58 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Seems like the tailgate is the main problem to look out for.
Hope the Sept 09 production run will have resolved this. I'll remember to test this when I pick it up in Oct 09.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:10 PM

GLK 350 2010
Shade now stops short new Glk 350

I have a GLK 350 with 500 miles on it, and today I believe the sun shade is now stopping short of the reciever slots by about 1/2 an inch so you can now see a black gap front and back. Is this the norm. Can other owners tell me if their cars are the same or does the shade go competely in. Thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 PM

GLK 4matic
Sunshade

The sunshade goes fully in and there are no black gaps....I have 850 miles and no probs so far...Bp
Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 PM

GLK 350 2010
Thanks I will go to the dealer. It was not like this when I got it 2 weeks ago.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: GLK350: Common problems?