GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK350: Common problems?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by osoms1
I have a GLK 350 with 500 miles on it, and today I believe the sun shade is now stopping short of the reciever slots by about 1/2 an inch so you can now see a black gap front and back. Is this the norm. Can other owners tell me if their cars are the same or does the shade go competely in. Thanks
When fully open, both sides of the sunshade on mine stick out maybe ⅜" past that center support. But there's no black gap. Actually, I've never seen a "black gap" so I'll have stop the sunshade before it's fully opened to see exactly what you're talking about.

Edit: On second thought, maybe you're talking about when the sunshade closes. In that case, it closes completely with no black gap. Sounds like your dealer may have to resync the mechanism.

Last edited by MB_Owner; 08-10-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-12-2009, 07:34 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by shanghaiGLK
My GLK350, delivered in March 2009, has the exact same squeaking issues - on the front door handles (feel and sound like cheap aluminum on plastic when pulling the doors closed) and a creaking chassis which is most obviously heard as the body flexes every time I exit my apartment via our curved underground parking ramp. My steering wheel also squeaks when turning - so all in all, quite annoying. Note: my GLK did not seem to have any chassis creaking until it received its first 6,000km maintenance check at the dealership - possible that this a coincidence? And has anyone had success in having these creaks and squeaks resolved?
Took my car in today. The SA was particularly concerned since its almost brand new. Called down the foreman and had me do a test drive with him. Since the exit out of the service area was a ramp, the problem was immediate reproduced. Got my car back this afternoon. They found the issue. Its the outer door seals that's making the noise. They lubed ALL outer seals, including the tailgate. Problem solved. Not a single creaking sound. I'm beginning to think that washing the car might have washed those lube away, perhaps you dealership did you a "favor" when you took it in.

We'll see how long this solution lasts. I can't imagine a new car needs seal lube.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
glad to hear your issue is finally resolved webada. I think seal lube is not that important and could have been underapplied. I actually never even heard of it until now.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM

528i, GLK
NYCGLk, I know, I'm so glad too. buyer remorse came across my mind many times when the problem arised... afterall it is 1yr production.

Given that, I had a brief chat with the foreman. He said the GLK had been relatively trouble free and he did mention "it is based on c-class" as a reason for its reliability. It was the first GLK to come in with creaking sounds. Maybe it was just a one off issue but I've read new w204 owners replacing door seals to solve excess wind noise.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 PM

Rained the first time yesterday since I've had my GLK and the left wiper blade kept making a chattering racket...kind of like a parched rubber wiper blade on a dry windshield. Except the vehicle is two weeks old and the windshield was wet.

So I cleaned the windshield (thinking maybe there was some sticky production film on it) and cleaned the wiper blades. No joy, continued to make a racket; albeit, lessened.

Stopped by the dealer today, service advisor concurred (too loud) and replaced the left wiper blade. Ran water from a hose on the windshield to check it...problem solved. The left wiper blade must have been dried out when it was installed.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:55 AM

GLK 350 2010
update on shade not closing completely

Went to the MB dealer and looked at 2 new 350 GLKS on the lot and they looked the same as mine. The shade does stop short. It would give a cleaner look if it slide into the recessed receiver area all the way. Look at your shade when closed and you will see that there is room for it to go further in. What do you think??
Old 08-15-2009, 08:57 AM

Piqued my interest enough that I went out to the garage to look, osoms1.

And now I see what you're talking about. Yep, you're correct, there is enough channel depth to allow the cover to slide in another ⅜ - ½ inch or so. But if others on the lot are the same, I guess ours are 'normal.'

While there, checked the oil level (remains right on the full mark with more than a thousand miles) and got my Owner's Manual to look up the TPMS info in the snow tire thread.

Will admit, it's always disconcerting to pull out that dipstick the first time and see it totally dry. Wonder if anyone has ever added oil thinking it was low before reinserting the dipstick and checking a second time (as the Owner's Manual says to do).
Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 AM

GLK 350 2010
Well, maybe MB will send out a service note to adjust the stop mechanism ?? Also, for anyone with bluetooth phone concerns, the Blackberry Storm and Tour both have OPP to push your contact list to the MB radio with no problem. There was some question about that, and even MB phone list is outdated and does not have the new BB phones listed. Hope this helps the Crankberry users.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MB_Owner
Rained the first time yesterday since I've had my GLK and the left wiper blade kept making a chattering racket...kind of like a parched rubber wiper blade on a dry windshield. Except the vehicle is two weeks old and the windshield was wet.

So I cleaned the windshield (thinking maybe there was some sticky production film on it) and cleaned the wiper blades. No joy, continued to make a racket; albeit, lessened.

Stopped by the dealer today, service advisor concurred (too loud) and replaced the left wiper blade. Ran water from a hose on the windshield to check it...problem solved. The left wiper blade must have been dried out when it was installed.

If you read the manual you are not supposed to clean wipers, they have special coating on them. Just use rainx on the windshield.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
If you read the manual you are not supposed to clean wipers, they have special coating on them. Just use rainx on the windshield.
You must have a different Owner's Manual than I do, NYCGLK. Page 245 of the US Edition A says to clean the windshield and wiper blade inserts with a "mild detergent solution."
Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
You must have a different Owner's Manual than I do, NYCGLK. Page 245 of the US Edition A says to clean the windshield and wiper blade inserts with a "mild detergent solution."
You are correct, my bad. I read Euro manual back in the days which mentioned not to clean wipers, but US manual is different.

I still recommend using rainx, as you don't need to use wipers on highways speeds, and when you do use wipers they work much smoother and quieter.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:30 PM

GLK 350
GLK350 Problem?

I just purchased the GLK350 two weeks ago. I've noticed a few things about the car which I'm not sure if it is a problem or not. From all the other cars I've driven, this was the first to do the following:

1) When making a turn, the steering wheel does not center itself after the turn. Well, it does but very slowly. Too slowly so it requires the driver to center it. All the cars I've driven, the steering wheel will center quickly when let go after a turn.

2) When I brake to a complete stop, if I let go of the brake the car does not move at all. All the cars I've driven will move forward slowly.

I've asked Mercedes and they said it's how it's supposed to be. Just wondering if everyone else is like that or it is a problem.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:51 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by kame
I just purchased the GLK350 two weeks ago. I've noticed a few things about the car which I'm not sure if it is a problem or not. From all the other cars I've driven, this was the first to do the following:

1) When making a turn, the steering wheel does not center itself after the turn. Well, it does but very slowly. Too slowly so it requires the driver to center it. All the cars I've driven, the steering wheel will center quickly when let go after a turn.

2) When I brake to a complete stop, if I let go of the brake the car does not move at all. All the cars I've driven will move forward slowly.

I've asked Mercedes and they said it's how it's supposed to be. Just wondering if everyone else is like that or it is a problem.

Thanks!
The symptoms you have mentioned are not an issue, and are completely normal.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:17 PM

2010 GLK
I have 58 kms on mine and so far it's been perfect.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 AM

glk 350
Transmission slow from reverse to drive

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Yes, MB's transmissions take a bit to go between D and R. I saw this being a complaint by some on C forum, I don't think it's a problem tho, more of "safety" for transmission feature.

When I try to go in reverse quick it doesn't get in R as quickly as I'd like sometimes, but again it's not an issue that's how it works, and operating this way preserves transmission.

As webada pointed out those of you with hard downshifts might want to try reseting the transmission back to factory setting and "re-teaching" it.
Have a similar problem, new (1500 miles) GLK350 4matic. Most noticeable going from Reverse to Drive, stepping on gas, nothing happens. Engine does not rev initially. After a few seconds, with pedal pressed, all of a sudden we move.
Been to the Dealer twice on this, they have reset the transmission and adaptive computers, problem still there. They even went out and tested another vehicle, and sure enough, same problem, not quite as bad as mine.
As we were testing in the lot, did notice a definite lag in transmission entering both reverse and drive- if you wait long enough, you can acually feel the tranny engage- very subtle. If I wait until I feel the shift, gas pedal acts normally.

This only happens going from reverse to drive. Dealer is doing some research, may be a fluid level or valve problem in tranny. Apparently, with these new sealed units, they cannot even check fluid levels except during scheduled maintenance. I know there is no oil dipstick.

An annoyance at this point, hoping will not progress to something worse.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
Thumbs up

3500 km on our GLK so far, and no issues!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:42 AM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Thumbs up Near 4,000km

Had the following "problems":

1. The navi screen was blank when I turned it on the first day after I got delivery. Never had that again. Probably, like a computer, it needed to be "rebooted".

2. The red hazard light in the centre console would stay on sometimes. I don't think it's an issue, just makes it look like another anti-theft warning light.

3. Heard some squeaks coming from the front left. It was annoying but it went away when I moved the front passenger seat back/forward a bit.

Will have the oil changed at about 5,000 km before I take it on a a long road trip to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Yellowstone Park this summer.
Can't wait!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:48 AM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Originally Posted by kame

Thanks!
Kame, I read somewhere that this is because the engine decouples/disengages when you press the brake and leave the engine running, say at a stop light. That's why it's so quiet. Probably less strain too.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 PM

GLK 350
Having a couple of issues...

I've been experiencing two problems over the past few months. When I get in the vehicle in the mornng for the first time, or if I have been out of it a while, I will hear some sort of electronic running motor noise coming from inside the rear of the vehicle. Sometime it lasts about 5-10 secs, sometimes 20-30 secs. Have no idea what it may be, but it's annoying and concerning. Other issue is that sometimes when I brake, I hear an internal clicking noise coming from the dash/brake padal area. Anyone having these issues or know what they may be?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:54 PM

2010 GLK350
I took the delivery of my GLK in October 2010. I have been mostly happy with it. However, I have been having problems that seem like either computer malfunctions or electronics. The Nav. display went blank a few times. No sound from speakers a few times (no, it was not muted). Recently the rear passenger power door lock would not unlock intermittently, either with the key or manually. A new lock assembly has been ordered. Now the driver power door lock does not lock, either with the key or manually. I heard that German cars are prone to have electrical problems. That seems to be true after experiencing the prblems with my GLK.
Prior to getting the GLK350 I have owned Lexus RX300, Lexus GX470 and Audi Q7. I did not have any problems with the Lexus. However, I did have a few problems with Audi Q7. I am seriously considering to go back to Japanese relible product when my lease expires in October, 2012.

Last edited by unilzr; 07-29-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by unilzr
I took the delivery of my GLK in October 2010. ...
(my emphasis)

Interesting...now we have a clairvoyant GLK owner.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 AM

Unilzr, with the number of problems you've had with your GLK, you for sure need to sign up on the TrueDelta Car Reliability Research site and document your GLK issues.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Only thing I noticed was the creaking noise on rough roads. Bought a can of silicone spray, sparyed the door seals and no more creaks, that has been after two car washes, but figure will need to repeat a few times a year.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:09 AM

2010 GLK350
Thumbs down

(my emphasis)

Interesting...now we have a clairvoyant GLK owner.
A constructive critique, not clairvoyance. Cynicism is out of place for that!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:11 AM

2010 GLK350
Thumbs up

Unilzr, with the number of problems you've had with your GLK, you for sure need to sign up on the TrueDelta Car Reliability Research site and document your GLK issues.
Thanks, I have joined.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: GLK350: Common problems?