GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Power hatch not closing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 ML350
Power hatch not closing

I know there has been discussion regarding the trunk door only opening part way - but has anyone had an issue with it not closing at all? I would push the button to close it and it would get 99% closed and then reopen. I checked to see if anything was blocking it but it looked clear...
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM

Capri Blue GLK350
Have not had problems with it, but only had it for on week though.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 AM

GLK 350
I believe NYCGLK had issues with opening not closing... I believe a member did have a similiar issue, took it into service and the issue was addressed.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
I have been having this problem for about 2 months. It only happens once in awhile. I will be taking mine to the dealership for a number of other problems.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 AM

04 ML350
Mine is going in tomorrow - I'll let you know what they say. Do you just force the door closed when its doing it?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Originally Posted by schwartyj
Mine is going in tomorrow - I'll let you know what they say. Do you just force the door closed when its doing it?
I would appreciate that. I just push the hatch button until it closes.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:58 PM

04 ML350
Getting my car back in about an hour - the service rep says that the 'striker' was misaligned and it should be fine now...I'll keep you posted if it acts up again...
Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 PM

GLS550
Took our's in this morning. Told them that about 50% of the time it doesn't open. The Service Rep had the keys and pushed to open button. Door opened about 2 inches and stopped. He said "you mean like that". They looked at it and said they were going to order a new motor. Should take a couple hours to install.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:48 PM

GLK 350
Nothing like a replicated issue. Thanks for updating us
Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by schwartyj
I don't have the door problem. However, there was one time, my friend close the door by force as he didn't know its power door. I here a gear jumping noise, ouch....

I thought something was broken but when I checked it, everything seems to be fine. I would think Benz engineers should have made the motor start to close when someone pushes the door (like your cd player door). On the other hand, I hope they at least designed in a way that a forced close will NOT damage the automatic mechanism.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 AM

GLK 350
Power hatch

I have book my GLK into the dealer next week. When I called to make an appointment (the power hatch works intermittently) the service manager said they knew all about it. Apparently the problem is that the motor is binding when it tries to open. He said they needed the car for the day to make the repair.
It sounded like this is a common problem right know with the GLK's
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Iridium silver/black leather interior/harmon kardon stereo/convience group
Old 10-23-2009, 07:01 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Kbach
Took our's in this morning. Told them that about 50% of the time it doesn't open. The Service Rep had the keys and pushed to open button. Door opened about 2 inches and stopped. He said "you mean like that". They looked at it and said they were going to order a new motor. Should take a couple hours to install.
Mine used to work about 50% of the time, now it works 0% of the time! I haven't had a chance to take it back to the dealer, but glad to hear they now know what the problem is.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Yea got worse for me too. Not sure if it has to do with colder weather or more rain?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:07 PM

GLK350 Metallic Blk, Premium Pkg,Xenon Pkg,Trailer hitch
I've had my GLK for about 2 months now and I noticed that once in a while the hatch would not open. It would take 3-4 attempts to get it open. It would open a few inches and then lock back. Trying it with either key fob, inside the car or hatch handle. It would get embarassing in public place! It started getting worse so 2 weeks ago I took it into the dealership. They kept the car for 2 days and had to replace the motor. Last week I got it back but this time the problem was different. When I opened the trunk one-third and then tried closing it, it would give a jerk and then reopen. It only happened if the trunk was opened one third. I took it again to the dealership. It did not happen the first few times he tried, but when it happened, it took 5 tries to close the trunk! So far I only encountered it when the trunk was stopped from opening one-third. I should get the car back as they had to keep it over the weekend. He explained that since they did not know what is causing it to do this, they have contacted the head office. Dont know if I will even get it back on Monday or not.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Even though we have had none of these issues... it must have something to do with the memory.... so the next time someone has this issue repaired at the dealer, could you please ask them what causes it and post it here? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Even though we have had none of these issues... it must have something to do with the memory.... so the next time someone has this issue repaired at the dealer, could you please ask them what causes it and post it here? Thanks!
only if dealers knew...some owners said it was reprogrammed, some said dealer replaced motor that opens the tailgate.

I was convinced I was doing something wrong, and there was some safety feature that wasn't allowing the tailgate to open. But if tailgate actually opens, it opens even if there is something in its way (when it's closing and something in its way it'll stop like it's supposed to). Will visit dealer when I go for that first complimentary check up and tire rotation.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:34 PM

GLK350 4 matic
My GLK developed the tailgate problem gradually - occasionally opening a couple of inches then closing. Eventually it was happening often and finally every time. Dealer checked and reprogrammed but unsuccessfully. According to the work order they finally acted "as per tips document G172.20-P-046034" and replaced the tailgate drive unit. So far so good, it's working fine.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:14 PM

GLK-350
Was that what caused the door to NOT close correctly? I'm having that problem now. It wont close all the way. I get the message that the door is open and have to push the 'ok' to keep driving because it wont close. Even if I SLAM it.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:19 PM

GLK-350
I'm trying to figure that out now. Mine started doing that today. It's nerve wrecking! It just will NOT close all the way!