GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

First Service "A" scheduled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK350 4MATIC
First Service "A" scheduled

I'm at 5050 miles which is when the free tire rotation kicks in. However, I'm also at 9 months so I decided to get the first service done to sync the service with Xmas break.

This is my first MB. I'm going to get hit with many $$$ right?

Trying to decide whether to get the scuffed rims fixed at the same time. I do seem to have learned my lesson about cutting corners short. What do you think? Should I give it another year on the rims or not?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by andyf0

Trying to decide whether to get the scuffed rims fixed at the same time. I do seem to have learned my lesson about cutting corners short. What do you think? Should I give it another year on the rims or not?
Ouch! I wouldn't bother brother... once a curber... always a curber!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
If a couple are scuffed than make them your winter set and spend the money on buying a nice summer set of wheels. Give you a excuse to buy a nice set of wheels
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 PM

GLK 350X :0
Originally Posted by hcetzneb
If a couple are scuffed than make them your winter set and spend the money on buying a nice summer set of wheels. Give yourself an excuse to buy a nice set of wheels
Splendid iDea!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
luckily my first service (oil change) is being covered by the dealer. because of the power tailgate issues i had in the first month! houston greenway MB service guys are alright in my book.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 AM

GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by hcetzneb
If a couple are scuffed than make them your winter set and spend the money on buying a nice summer set of wheels. Give you a excuse to buy a nice set of wheels
There speaks someone who experiences a real winter. In Houston our winter is more like your spring.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:46 AM

glk 350x
how much are people paying for service a these days for glk and where. i am in toronto i can go to maple, thornhill, or mississauga
Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 AM

GLK350- Sport pkg, Navi and HK
Originally Posted by maood
how much are people paying for service a these days for glk and where. i am in toronto i can go to maple, thornhill, or mississauga

from what I've been told its around $300 + for service A.
that includes an oil change.. and 31 point inspection (which is BS)

i'll be heading to Mr. Lube or sumtin like that.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Service A today; cost $258..

Had the tailgate TSB done and had to have a new driver's side front window motor ordered. Was told there were no new software updates for the Command system.

Bish
Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by thebishman
Had the tailgate TSB done and had to have a new driver's side front window motor ordered. Was told there were no new software updates for the Command system.
Do you know what the tailgate TSB cover? My tailgate was acting up the other day
Old 12-22-2009, 12:26 AM

thanks bishman

I presume that is USD cost? That's better than $350 - 400 CAD.
What does this cover?
Did the dealer do the TSB on their own?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
change it yourself and save over $250.... put it toward a new wheel...
Old 12-22-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by MBRedux
change it yourself and save over $250.... put it toward a new wheel...
Will this not void any "warranty" issues ?
I thought it said in the manual that it had to be serviced thru authorized MB dealer or dealer for obtaining warranty issues. No one likes surprises when they say " oh, your oil changes were not done thru our dealers, and therefore, it is not covered..."

Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 AM

2010 GLK 350
Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
I thought it said in the manual that it had to be serviced thru authorized MB dealer or dealer for obtaining warranty issues. No one likes surprises when they say " oh, your oil changes were not done thru our dealers, and therefore, it is not covered..."

This is a myth...
"Servicing your car at a dealer is not mandatory to keep your warranty in effect. Maintenance can be done by any qualified service facility or skilled technician. Keep all receipts as proof of completion, and have the service provider fill out the Maintenance Record." www.carcarecanada.ca
Old 12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I presume that is USD cost? That's better than $350 - 400 CAD.
What does this cover?
Did the dealer do the TSB on their own?

Oil and filter change, top up with windscreen washer fluid plus the other recommended checks at service A. Also a wheel rotation I believe.

The TSB they did without me asking.

Bish
Old 12-22-2009, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Tate
Do you know what the tailgate TSB cover? My tailgate was acting up the other day
There is a thread here somewhere re: tailgate issues.

I've never noticed it but I don't drive the car daily now as my son drives it to college. He said it has acted up some when closing.
Bish
Old 12-23-2009, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
The simple answer is no. They do not own the car any longer, we do. Changing your oil and filter yourself will not void your warranty.... and there are dozens of federal consumer laws to back it up.... (That's here in the States). Just keep all records.... that simple... I have owned 20 cars in my day, 16 new ones.... none ever went in for simple services like oil and filter change...screw that!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:50 AM

thanks MBRedux...

I am not sure if all the cost is justified after having the dealer doing the "service" vs. just doing an 'oil change' ourselves.

Is it not true, that the dealer checks the car for any other critical TSBs or complaints that the MB owner may have?
I am not a supertech,
wait...
this is our 1st MB and do not want to mess with anything within the warranty period..

Old 12-23-2009, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stupid Dealerships vs. the Federal Law / "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act"

You do not have to take your vehicle to the dealer for routine maintenance, such as oil and filter changes in order to maintain your warranty. Dealers sometimes claim that only their own service departments can provide routine maintenance work on the cars and trucks they sell. Some may even tell you that if anyone other than a dealer does the work — or if anything but parts with their own brand are installed — the warranty is no longer valid. This is untrue and against Federal Law in The United States of America. This deception led to the passing of The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in 1975 — U.S. Code Title 15, Chapter 50.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act — part of the Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act [U.S. Code Title 15] — was enacted in 1975 “to improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products…” The act requires that consumers be given information that explains the implied and express warranties attached to products and services costing more than $25.00:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is defined by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if:

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the ‘public interest’.” .......

In addition, it is common for new car owners to be concerned about modifying their car and worrying about voiding there warranty. The following should be good information to consider if you're worrying about that next modification.

Although the Magnuson-Moss Act is a law designed to protect consumers for any service, part or product worth over $25, it has become a large part of the automotive industry. We have all heard of stories in which dealerships have refused to honor a warranty because of modification to the vehicle. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, a dealership or manufacturer cannot deny warranty coverage solely because the consumer has installed aftermarket parts. This does not give tuners an excuse though, to throw anything they want on the car. If the manufacturer or dealership determines the mechanical problem is fully or even partially due to an aftermarket part, they have the legal right to deny coverage or repair under the warranty. The purpose of the act, in regards to owners working on their automobiles, is so manufacturers cannot require consumers to purchase factory OEM parts. So if you decide to use a Fram or Mobil 1 oil filter as opposed to the factory oil filter, this is where the act will protect you by not voiding your warranty.

What this all means is that although you can repair and modify your vehicle with aftermarket parts, just be smart about your modifications until the car is no longer covered. Keep all records, bills of sale, etc... even if you use MB OEM parts or not. If you're handy and confident about working on cars, you can save lots of money by doing the labor yourself and the dealership can't do a thing about it... that's if the work is done right. They'll be stupid if they try.

However, I feel that there's no need to waste a perfectly good warranty while it's there by doing outragous engine mods that could get you into trouble, at least during the warranty years... but consider it safe (at least in the USA) to do your own preventive maintenance and minor repairs... just keep a detailed record of it.

Last edited by MBRedux; 12-23-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:17 AM

WoW...
thanks MBRedux....

wonder what law we have in C-a-n-a-d-a!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:39 PM

GLK350 4MATIC
Well, just had the service done. $250 inc tax and they forgot to rotate the tires, had to take it back the next day.

I did see a line item on the receipt about an adjustment to the end stop on the rear hatch. Maybe that's a MB notice to dealers regarding the tailgate problems I've been reading about.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:15 PM

MBZ SL550
What are Schedule "A" and Schedule "B" services based on : mileage or months from previous service?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C300 Sport Palladium Silver & 2012 GLK350 4matic Black
Mileage or months from prior service which ever comes first.