GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Best Paint Sealant For your vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
The clear coat is infused with something called "fumed silica" which makes for a hard surface but it's only 20 nanometers thick. It's very easy to accidentally over polish leaving you with the softer material below. Make sure your detail shop know what their doing (as opposed to mouthing a feel-good message).
I had to have my bumper repainted and the body shop decided to give me feel-good blather about a lifetime guarantee on their paint and clear coat. Well, that's nice, I said, but what about the near impossible task of polishing 2 different hardness of clear coat? I handed them a Material Sheet for a CeramiClear Clear Coat finish that met California VOC standards. He looked it up and the price was very similar so he promised to use it.
I imagine 90% of Mercedes owners getting body work get the wrong clear coat.

Hey, about wax. I've never seen anything last for years and I grew up with the old carnauba type wax that took hard rubbing. Today's wax takes just a few minutes. Where's the payoff in a 7 year wax or whatever? By the way, a lot of dealerships still use kerosene to "polish" cars quickly for the sales lot. Mequire's Quick Detailer is only a tiny bit slower and looks pretty nice.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
The clear coat is infused with something called "fumed silica" which makes for a hard surface but it's only 20 nanometers thick.
I imagine 90% of Mercedes owners getting body work get the wrong clear coat...............................lot of dealerships still use kerosene to "polish" cars quickly for the sales lot. Mequire's Quick Detailer is only a tiny bit slower and looks pretty nice.
That is great stuff I concur! > I had my other MB repair done using that - and I insisted on it

***remembers to TAKE a BIC CIG LIGHTER with to test drive @dealerships tomorrow **** to test this :P:P ;(pity am non smoker or it be more fun !!!!

cheers
Old 05-23-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 Chevy Tahoe
I would suggest you take it to a professional detailer for a multi-stage paint correction. The guy needs to have experience with late model MBs as it's easy to screw up the newer ceramic clear coats. Following the paint corrections I'd have them seal the entire car in Modesta, which is the newest product since OptiCoat came on the market. Finally, a full 3M clear bra custom installed. Total package will cost around $3K, but well worth every penny.