GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Best Paint Sealant For your vehicle

Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLK-350
Best Paint Sealant For your vehicle

I know this really isnt a GLK topic but what in your opinion is the best Paint Sealant available in the market?

Do you think quartz coating is any good?

I've used 5 starshine and found it to be ok. (Just applied it 4 months ago)
They say it will last for 5 years?!!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
A Zymol wax job every 3 months. There's nothing like a good hand wax job and a little hard work that never hurts anyone.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 PM

GLK 350 4Matic
I had strikeforce put on mine at the dealer for 1500$. They told me NOT to wax my car ever and it would last 7 years. After the winter and about 20 touch free car washes still looks new.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by jdm2010
I had strikeforce put on mine at the dealer for 1500$. They told me NOT to wax my car ever and it would last 7 years. After the winter and about 20 touch free car washes still looks new.

Look... Polyglycoat, Strikeforce, Kriptonite, I don't care what it's called... it's a rip-off to get your bucks. Every reputable consumer group and/or auto painter will tell you that there isn't a word of truth to the hype.

The ONLY reason your MB GLK paint looks so good is because it's fairly new and also because of a newly developed Nano-Clear Coat Paint that Mercedes and the German paint manufacturer Sikkens developed for their cars..... it's so hard and glossy (and expen$ive) that it will viturally last forever even WITHOUT waxing. (So if any of you ever get into an accident, insist on the same clear coat application. Most insurance companies will refuse because of the cost.)

All things on this Earth decay when given enough time. Oxidation occurs on all paints, (even those with so called sealants). The only way to remove these contaminants and dug-in dirt (especially around the front of the car) is by using a paint-clay treatment or an oxidation removing compound... another words a polish. After that a good carnuba wax will do the trick....

Everything else is second rate and is only meant to extract money from those of us who are either too lazy or too cheap to do the job right.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:08 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by G*L*K
I know this really isnt a GLK topic but what in your opinion is the best Paint Sealant available in the market?

Do you think quartz coating is any good?

I've used 5 starshine and found it to be ok. (Just applied it 4 months ago)
They say it will last for 5 years?!!
http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

This stuff will blow your mind! My detail shop uses this and it lasts at least 6 months. It keeps my Black GLK looking glossy even after rain and snow. Water just beads right up. And after you first apply this you'll be grinning I promise. Your GLK will look so f****** good you won't want to drive it. You'll just stare in amazement.

I don't know anything about these products which claim to last for years. I have always been under the impression that you must apply a good sealant at least yearly. But I am no expert.

Last edited by cyberglk350; 03-16-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: forgot hyperlink
Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 AM

GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Look... Polyglycoat, Strikeforce, Kriptonite, I don't care what it's called... it's a rip-off to get your bucks. Every reputable consumer group and/or auto painter will tell you that there isn't a word of truth to the hype.

The ONLY reason your MB GLK paint looks so good is because it's fairly new and also because of a newly developed Nano-Clear Coat Paint that Mercedes and the German paint manufacturer Sikkens developed for their cars..... it's so hard and glossy (and expen$ive) that it will viturally last forever even WITHOUT waxing. (So if any of you ever get into an accident, insist on the same clear coat application. Most insurance companies will refuse because of the cost.)

All things on this Earth decay when given enough time. Oxidation occurs on all paints, (even those with so called sealants). The only way to remove these contaminants and dug-in dirt (especially around the front of the car) is by using a paint-clay treatment or an oxidation removing compound... another words a polish. After that a good carnuba wax will do the trick....

Everything else is second rate and is only meant to extract money from those of us who are either too lazy or too cheap to do the job right.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the paint. Do you have more info about this that I could show my shop? I had my bumper painted (not my fault) and I would bet they didnt use this. It looks good and it was a MB shop but on the papers it says nothing about clear coat. It cost 1000$ for the bumper to be painted btw. Thanks for any help
Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the paint. Do you have more info about this that I could show my shop? I had my bumper painted (not my fault) and I would bet they didnt use this. It looks good and it was a MB shop but on the papers it says nothing about clear coat. It cost 1000$ for the bumper to be painted btw. Thanks for any help
Here's a reprint followed by a link below.

Mercedes-Benz has announced an innovative nano-particle clearcoat which offers significantly greater scratch resistance and improved gloss. After four years of development work, an innovative new clear lacquer was set to go into series production at Mercedes- Benz at the end of 2003. Ground-breaking nano-technology ensures that the new product is substantially more scratch-resistant than conventional paint. The E, S, CL, SL and SLK, G, GL Class model series are the first cars in the world to be available with this new paint system, whilst customers of other Mercedes models can look forward to the increased scratch resistance of nano-paintwork from spring 2004. This new technology represents the Stuttgart-based car maker's latest significant contribution towards considerably enhancing the already exemplary long-term quality and value retention of its passenger cars. The newly developed clear lacquer, which contains microscopically small ceramic particles, hardens in the paintshop oven, forming an extensively cross- linked network. The paint is thus more effectively protected against scratches caused by mechanical car-washes, for example. Mercedes state that the nano-particles provide a three-fold improvement in the scratch resistance of the paintwork and ensure visibly enhanced gloss over an extended period of time. Following extreme tests in a laboratory car-wash, Mercedes engineers noted an around 40-percent improvement in paint gloss compared to conventional clear lacquers. Mercedes-Benz carried out extensive testing on the nano-particle clearcoat both in the laboratory and under everyday conditions. Even after several years of use, the more than 150 test cars involved in the long-term testing programme displayed significantly greater scratch resistance and enhanced paint gloss compared to vehicles with conventional paintwork.
Microscopically small ceramic particles provide a layer of protection. Remarkable advances in the area of nano-technology have allowed tiny ceramic particles - each less than a millionth of a millimetre in size - to be integrated into the molecular structure of the binding agent. These particles float around freely at first in the liquid clearcoat, before cross-linking as the drying process takes effect. The particles link in with one another in such a way as to create an extremely dense and smoothly structured network at the paint surface. This provides a protective layer and ensures that the new nano-particle clearcoat is considerably more scratch-resistant than conventional paintwork. The effectiveness of the new technology was borne out by the results of an extreme test conducted in a laboratory car-wash according to DIN standards. The water used in the test contains a precisely measured concentration of fine particles and is spread over the paintwork by the rotating washing brushes, leaving behind scratches. After ten wash cycles in the laboratory car-wash, reproducing the degenerative effect of some 50 to 100 regular car washes - the nano-painted sheet metal emerged with around 40-percent greater gloss than samples with conventional clear lacquer. Mercedes-Benz is the world's first vehicle manufacturer to offer this more scratch-resistant clear lacquer.

http://www.sae.org/automag/material/...-112-2-108.pdf
Old 03-17-2010, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cyberglk350
http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

This stuff will blow your mind! My detail shop uses this and it lasts at least 6 months. It keeps my Black GLK looking glossy even after rain and snow. Water just beads right up. And after you first apply this you'll be grinning I promise. Your GLK will look so f****** good you won't want to drive it. You'll just stare in amazement.

I don't know anything about these products which claim to last for years. I have always been under the impression that you must apply a good sealant at least yearly. But I am no expert.
You may wish to read this on the same web page you provided.

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-fle...w-car-kit.html
Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
[QUOTE=MBRedux;3987730]Look... Polyglycoat, Strikeforce, Kriptonite, I don't care what it's called... it's a rip-off to get your bucks. QUOTE]

I saw the title in this thread and had to comment. You did it for me. I have been detailing cars for a long time and I used to purchase one "sealant" in particular from a distributor for $13.00 per 20 ounce bottle. It is nothing more than wax. Wait until your car is a few years old and take it to a Ming detail center (if they are still around) and get the Ming Mirror Finish. I had a car done here http://www.truckinamerica.com/ming.html
when I lived in MN. It looked absolutely incredible.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 AM

GLK350
MBRedux - are you certain that MB uses a different clear coat on the solid color paints than on the metallic colors? I did not see that statement made in the arcitcles relating to the ceramic particle clear coat.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by GadgetGLK
MBRedux - are you certain that MB uses a different clear coat on the solid color paints than on the metallic colors? I did not see that statement made in the arcitcles relating to the ceramic particle clear coat.
I believe that is incorrect. The ceramic clear coat is on metallic and standard finishes. People get it mixed up with the metallic sometimes, including dealers, but you have the nice hard clear even on a solid color.

The Wolfgang sealant posted is a quality product (link was through Auto Geek).

The biggest factor though is preparation of paint: claying, true polishing (removing microscopic bits of paint), to prepare for the nice layer of sealant or wax. However, nothing lasts forever, in fact, nothing lasts very long at all. Waxing or putting on a sealant regularly is the key to keeping the car looking great.

Even with Mercedes great clear, waxing will provide protection for your paint (against sun and other environmental factors), plus makes it look its best.

The dealer products that sell for hundreds or thousands are basically a warranty. They put on a decent wax, but it's really a warranty, a product applied does not like a year, or five years, etc. And the warranty requires reapplication every few years. This is really a frustrating gimmick that gets under my skin.

Now a 3M plastic film on the front of your car will protect it from stones and whatnot, it does work, proven and obvious.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:59 PM

GLK 350 4Matic

Mercedes-Benz has announced an innovative nano-particle clearcoat which offers significantly greater scratch resistance and improved gloss. After four years of development work, an innovative new clear lacquer was set to go into series production at Mercedes- Benz at the end of 2003. Ground-breaking nano-technology ensures that the new product is substantially more scratch-resistant than conventional paint. The E, S, CL, SL and SLK, G, GL Class model series are the first cars in the world to be available with this new paint system, whilst customers of other Mercedes models can look forward to the increased scratch resistance of nano-paintwork from spring 2004. This new technology represents the Stuttgart-based car maker's latest significant contribution towards considerably enhancing the already exemplary long-term quality and value retention of its passenger cars. The newly developed clear lacquer, which contains microscopically small ceramic particles, hardens in the paintshop oven, forming an extensively cross- linked network. The paint is thus more effectively protected against scratches caused by mechanical car-washes, for example. Mercedes state that the nano-particles provide a three-fold improvement in the scratch resistance of the paintwork and ensure visibly enhanced gloss over an extended period of time. Following extreme tests in a laboratory car-wash, Mercedes engineers noted an around 40-percent improvement in paint gloss compared to conventional clear lacquers. Mercedes-Benz carried out extensive testing on the nano-particle clearcoat both in the laboratory and under everyday conditions. Even after several years of use, the more than 150 test cars involved in the long-term testing programme displayed significantly greater scratch resistance and enhanced paint gloss compared to vehicles with conventional paintwork.
Microscopically small ceramic particles provide a layer of protection. Remarkable advances in the area of nano-technology have allowed tiny ceramic particles - each less than a millionth of a millimetre in size - to be integrated into the molecular structure of the binding agent. These particles float around freely at first in the liquid clearcoat, before cross-linking as the drying process takes effect. The particles link in with one another in such a way as to create an extremely dense and smoothly structured network at the paint surface. This provides a protective layer and ensures that the new nano-particle clearcoat is considerably more scratch-resistant than conventional paintwork. The effectiveness of the new technology was borne out by the results of an extreme test conducted in a laboratory car-wash according to DIN standards. The water used in the test contains a precisely measured concentration of fine particles and is spread over the paintwork by the rotating washing brushes, leaving behind scratches. After ten wash cycles in the laboratory car-wash, reproducing the degenerative effect of some 50 to 100 regular car washes - the nano-painted sheet metal emerged with around 40-percent greater gloss than samples with conventional clear lacquer. Mercedes-Benz is the world's first vehicle manufacturer to offer this more scratch-resistant clear lacquer.

Thanks. I sent an email to the shop that did my bumper. I asked them to send me the brand and type of clear coat that they used. I did not tell them I had this info so I should find out soon what they gave me. Any advice on what I should do when I find out its not the same? Do I demand they do it again with the correct clear coat. When I had it painted I had 500 miles on the car and I asked they make it stock brand new again. Thats what I was promised.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:15 PM

GLK 350 4Matic

Here is what the MB shop told me. The paint and clear coat are made by a company called Standox. This paint and clear are authorized by MB.-Standox is one of Europe's leading manufacturers of automotive refinishing paints. With its headquarters in Wuppertal, Germany, the company offers innovative and environmentally compatible product systems in over 80 countries.

Standox seeks to build long term relationships with its customers based on premium product quality, and high levels of practical support. By working closely with the automotive industry, Standox has achieved the largest number of approvals from all leading automotive manufacturers. This makes Standox the preferred partner of professional independent and franchised bodyshops.
Standocryl VOC Platinum Clear is a new 2K HS VOC compliant high gloss clear that pushes the boundaries of 2K HS clearcoat development into a new age.

Extremely Scratch and Abrasion Resistant

Advances in resin technology have enabled the Standox research and development labs to develop a clearcoat that has the ability to repair itself when scratched.

This means that when tiny scratches occur in the clearcoat surface during automatic car washing for example, the clearcoat can repair itself by “reflowing” and effectively filling in the minor gaps caused by the bristles.

Due to the outstanding effects achieved by this new technology, most of the major motor manufacturers are now using it to coat the luxury end of their product ranges.

Looks like the right stuff to me. There was no brand name in the article but it sounds like this is what its talking about. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
I use Jetseal 109
Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned

2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
Paint Sealers

I think "REJEX" is awesome
Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Most of the aftermarket processes offered also include a guarantee, and that is really what you are buying.

Think of it as an insurance policy that includes a free detailing!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
(TFP) total finish protection
Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 PM

C230 Kompressor

. I thought Mercedes changed over to Standox as their paint supplier.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:06 PM

C230 Kompressor
Here is what the MB shop told me. The paint and clear coat are made by a company called Standox. This paint and clear are authorized by MB.-Standox is one of Europe's leading manufacturers of automotive refinishing paints. With its headquarters in Wuppertal, Germany, the company offers innovative and environmentally compatible product systems in over 80 countries.

Standox seeks to build long term relationships with its customers based on premium product quality, and high levels of practical support. By working closely with the automotive industry, Standox has achieved the largest number of approvals from all leading automotive manufacturers. This makes Standox the preferred partner of professional independent and franchised bodyshops.
Standocryl VOC Platinum Clear is a new 2K HS VOC compliant high gloss clear that pushes the boundaries of 2K HS clearcoat development into a new age.

Extremely Scratch and Abrasion Resistant

Advances in resin technology have enabled the Standox research and development labs to develop a clearcoat that has the ability to repair itself when scratched.

This means that when tiny scratches occur in the clearcoat surface during automatic car washing for example, the clearcoat can repair itself by “reflowing” and effectively filling in the minor gaps caused by the bristles.

Due to the outstanding effects achieved by this new technology, most of the major motor manufacturers are now using it to coat the luxury end of their product ranges.

Looks like the right stuff to me. There was no brand name in the article but it sounds like this is what its talking about. Thanks for the help.
. I talked to a custom automotive painter a number of years ago and he uses Standox and mentioned that it was what Mercedes uses. it is supposed to be the best stuff out there. It supposedly cures faster and harder. I don't know if there is anything better, but the Japanese have been working on some paint that fixes itself, I don't know if it actually workes.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
Adams Polish (adamspolishes.com) have an amazing product called "Paint Sealant," it is in aerosol form and you spray it all over your car after a proper wash/detailing. I tried it this past weekend and WOW, the tenorite grey metallic paint just shines with metallic fleck.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To many to list
Good info, 3m makes some great stuff to.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM

civic corrado glk
powerlock or opticoat if you don't want to touch it for a few years.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:45 PM

Location: From Oxnard; living in Ocean View Hills, San Diego, CA
'01 C320 SS
Anyone using anything new and awesome? I'm looking for something better than Klasse.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
After washing, I switch the dial to wax at the DIY car wash. Water beads up on finish for a year after doing that! No extra cost unless you run out of time
Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 PM

14 GLK 250 BT
I just finished using Zaino AIO (all in one) for the 14 GLK 250 B/T's base coat. The next day, I put Z2 on the front nose (areas exposed to the wind) and horizontal surfaces. (horizontal surfaces deteriorate 5 to 1 to vertical surfaces)

I have been using Zaino for over 15 years and it seems to last @ or about 6 months 24/7 outside.

Consumer Reports rates the Nu Finish good to go for app 6 months.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Paint Sealant For your vehicle