GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Strange Wirrey Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 2011 550i 2004 Z4
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Yes, it's completely normal. There are several servo's that kick on.
Secondary air injection system, air pump running.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 PM

GLK 350
Took the GLK into the dealer yesterday. They gave me a rental C300. First thing they checked was the AC compressor bearing and that didn't do it so it did turn out to be the transfer case. My service advisor told me they have to swap out the whole tranny and the transfer case. Thank god for warranty! Anyway, hopefully I'll have my car back by the weekend. Thanks for starting this great thread.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:21 AM

GLKILLA
My SA told me that they're going to try and replace some "transfer case motor", which I'm still confused as to what it can be. If that doesn't work, they'll replace it all. Either way, I'm glad this is only a lease, lol.

Glad I can help!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
i'm so glad i leased mine too. This is my first leased car and when i've sold my previous cars privately, the next owner always asks to see service records. thankfully those were Acura's and were trouble free. I can't imaging showing him, um transfer case, new lifter, thermostate, etc, replaced within a year, lol
Old 07-22-2010, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
^^^nothing wrong with that, as long as there is nothing wrong with the car afterwords. Worst case you would have to sell at lower price, but you would be still ahead than when you are leasing.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by evito
My SA told me that they're going to try and replace some "transfer case motor", which I'm still confused as to what it can be. If that doesn't work, they'll replace it all. Either way, I'm glad this is only a lease, lol.

Glad I can help!
As I didn't have the skill to get more specific than: "- that the problem is in the drivetrain somewhere, as it is speed-related rather than RPM -" in my first post, I'll "compensate" for it a little by enclosing the attachment. With regard to your: "My SA told me that they're going to try and replace (bold by me) some "transfer case motor -", note the instruction given below the "i" in the attachment - I hope it's readable

This is as well in line with the action to be taken in the case of hformrace1, from the statement given by his SA.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Strange Wirrey Noise-transfer-case-4matic.jpg  
Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 PM

GLKILLA
I got my car back last night, after 2 weeks of driving around in a rental!

MB just decided to replace my entire transmission, they weren't able to replace the parts that were ineffective.

New tranny, yaaaaaaaay!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
wow.... I'm at a loss for words....
Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 PM

GLK 350
I forgot to post back after picking up my GLK. Yeah they replaced the entire tranny and gave me a loaner C class for two days. The service from my dealer was awesome. Very prompt and delivered on time as promised. Super happy!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
^ I see a pattern developing.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK 350
Thanks for posting about your experience Evito!

I believe I have the exact same issue with my 2010 GLK 350.

We just took it on a long road trip through the mountains near Denver and when we got back it had this weird whine noise -- kind of like alternator noise through a stereo. It has been getting progressively louder.

Through the process of elimination it would seem that it's to do with transfer case and/or transmission. It only makes the noise when driving and is not effected by the revs.

My MB dealership is ridiculously difficult to get an appointment. My car was due for 40k transmission service before we went on holidays and I couldn't get in. Then when I got back the put me off for a week. I'll be 2 or 3K over the recommended service when I take it in - they better not make something of that!

I'll keep you posted.

Grant
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK350; 2003 Mazda Miata; 2008 Infiniti M35; 1964 1/2 Mustang Convertible
I also just had this happen to me this weekend, during a trip to Walla Walla (WA) from Seattle, about a 6 hour drive. Started making a sound like a plane, got louder with acceleration. Took it into my mechanic, who originally thought it might be the tires or some part of the drive system, but finally determined it was the transfer case. They are sending off to the Mercedes dealer, hopefully in the next few days. Still under warrenty, thank heavens. Is this a common problem with GLKs? I researched before I bought (pre-owned 2010 w/ 18K miles) and didn't see any thing out there of concern.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 AM

Mine goes in this morning. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 PM

05 E55
Wow, this really seems to be a pattern. I was just researching these because my fiance and I were looking at them for a possible pre-owned SUV for her. Second guessing this now. Hope you guys get yours squared away.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Yep, they are going to replace the transmission and torque converter on mine under warranty. As far as I know, it is only some of the 2010's that had this issue. Other than this issue, I love the vehicle. Hopefully this will get fixed and I won't have any other problems.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM

GLK350
Whistle / Whirring over 40 mph in GLK 350 4matic

I am having a similar problem, and am wondering if i could get some feedback from everyone that had this issue. For me the whirring noise occurs when i am over 40mph, and typically around 1700 rpm's. Once i am at speeds over 60 the noise disappears.
This whir or whistle is not always there, but seems to come and go. It can be sometimes very faint, and other times i can here it over the radio.

Does this sound familiar to those of you that got your trannys replaced?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by drstehr
I am having a similar problem, and am wondering if i could get some feedback from everyone that had this issue. For me the whirring noise occurs when i am over 40mph, and typically around 1700 rpm's. Once i am at speeds over 60 the noise disappears.
This whir or whistle is not always there, but seems to come and go. It can be sometimes very faint, and other times i can here it over the radio.

Does this sound familiar to those of you that got your trannys replaced?
When it started happening, I sounded like alternator noise coming through the stereo system. Then it kept getting louder over a period of time. How I figured it was to do with the transmission and transfer case was that the faster you go the louder and faster (?) the whirring noise was. You should here it getting progressively louder. If it's not then I don't think its the same problem. I don't recall it going away at higher speeds.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by skeeter_byte
When it started happening, I sounded like alternator noise coming through the stereo system. Then it kept getting louder over a period of time. How I figured it was to do with the transmission and transfer case was that the faster you go the louder and faster (?) the whirring noise was. You should here it getting progressively louder. If it's not then I don't think its the same problem. I don't recall it going away at higher speeds.

Hope that helps.
The noise does sound like an alternator noise...but disappears over 60mph
it does seem to be getting worse over time though.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:33 AM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK350; 2003 Mazda Miata; 2008 Infiniti M35; 1964 1/2 Mustang Convertible
Originally Posted by drstehr
The noise does sound like an alternator noise...but disappears over 60mph
it does seem to be getting worse over time though.
Sounds like it is something else...would take it into the dealer and have it checked out. When I had the issue, it never let up and got louder with speed and worse over time, to the point that I couldn't hear the radio over the noise. As soon as I returned from our trip, I took it in and they determined what it was immediately.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
So is the whirring sound high pitched then? And does it occur if you also lift off throttle say when coming down from freeway speeds?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:19 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by tuckmics
Sounds like it is something else...would take it into the dealer and have it checked out. When I had the issue, it never let up and got louder with speed and worse over time, to the point that I couldn't hear the radio over the noise. As soon as I returned from our trip, I took it in and they determined what it was immediately.

Good luck.
update: 3 MONTHS AGO, while getting a tire change my mechanic noticed a leak @ the transmission. I immediately took it into my Benz dealer, and they replaced the transmission gasket. Whirring noise has subsided...stay tuned
Old 01-12-2015, 02:05 AM

2010 GLK350 4Matic
2010 GLK Transmission Replacement at 55k

I purchased my car new and the seal on my transfer case was replaced at 20K. Per the scheduled maintenance I had the transmission flushed at 40k. At 55K my car started to make a "whirring" noise from the console area below the radio. I could hear it with the radio and air conditioning off. It would start at about 30mph but within a few days I could hear it at 25mph. After reading the forums it sounded like a problem with my transfer case. I took it to the dealership and they asked me if I had purchased the extended warranty. I had not. They told me they needed additional time to diagnose the issue. They came back with good news and bad news. The bad news was that it was the transfer case but it's one system so they had to replace the transmission too. The quote was $8,100 to fix. The good news was that MB was going to cover it. The part got held up in customs so it took about three weeks to get my car back. I just hit 60k and so far so good. This is my first luxury car and I still have my original Miata from high school. I am a little disappointed that the GLK had a substantial issue but I can't complain too much because the OEM took care of it. Hope this helps someone else.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by chinster
I purchased my car new and the seal on my transfer case was replaced at 20K. Per the scheduled maintenance I had the transmission flushed at 40k. At 55K my car started to make a "whirring" noise from the console area below the radio. I could hear it with the radio and air conditioning off. It would start at about 30mph but within a few days I could hear it at 25mph. After reading the forums it sounded like a problem with my transfer case. I took it to the dealership and they asked me if I had purchased the extended warranty. I had not. They told me they needed additional time to diagnose the issue. They came back with good news and bad news. The bad news was that it was the transfer case but it's one system so they had to replace the transmission too. The quote was $8,100 to fix. The good news was that MB was going to cover it. The part got held up in customs so it took about three weeks to get my car back. I just hit 60k and so far so good. This is my first luxury car and I still have my original Miata from high school. I am a little disappointed that the GLK had a substantial issue but I can't complain too much because the OEM took care of it. Hope this helps someone else.

If you do a search you will find that this was a very common problem with the AWDs, which is why MB did the work for free...
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 AM

'12 E350 4Matic, '11 GLK350 4Matic
Thumbs down 2011 GLK with 36k miles

Just developed the same "jet engine" noise after a 1,200 mile trip to Florida. Dealer in Florida could not fix it because part was not available (3 weeks+). I will try to get this fixed at my home state now.

I hope I can get a loaner, since this is my only car. I also hope this does not return 3 years from now. Does anybody know if that part has been redesigned? If it has not, I will look into trading it in 2 1/2 years from now.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
From other posts here I do believe the problem parts were redesigned...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Strange Wirrey Noise