Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > GLK-Class (X204)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

GLK-Class (X204) Discuss the upcoming GLK-Class. Models include GLK 350.

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: GLK 350 Silver (PP, MM, 20's, Xenons)
Low tire pressure warning

So temperatures fell a bit and it's been raining. Just like a year ago during this time tire pressure system starts giving warnings.

Last year that happend a coulpe of times, but the only warning was on MFD saying check tire pressure.

Yesterday I started driving (cold and rainy) and MFD turned red and the yellow sing came on as well (i thought i got flat tire or something). Haven't check pressure yet, but tires seemed fine (no flats). Wondering if amount of tire pressure loss makes warning different. I wish I had new system that tells you actuall tire pressure in each tire (I think later 2010 models have it).
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #2

Drives: GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
Yep this year I only had the check tire pressure warning. May be due to the temp drop as you said. Had to top it off and I haven't seen anything pop up lately.
Last year I got the whole panel turning red with chime as I was driving ... turns out I had a puncture in my tire which caused the tire to lose like 10psi within a few days. It could be related to the actual pressure difference but couldn't find anything in the manual.
jpjolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Drives: MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGLK View Post
So temperatures fell a bit and it's been raining. Just like a year ago during this time tire pressure system starts giving warnings.

Last year that happend a coulpe of times, but the only warning was on MFD saying check tire pressure.

Yesterday I started driving (cold and rainy) and MFD turned red and the yellow sing came on as well (i thought i got flat tire or something). Haven't check pressure yet, but tires seemed fine (no flats). Wondering if amount of tire pressure loss makes warning different. I wish I had new system that tells you actuall tire pressure in each tire (I think later 2010 models have it).
Nowadays you cannot tell by looking at the tire and guesstimate the pressure. Just becaused it looks fine, not flat, doesn't tell you anything. But a good tire gauge will.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2007 E63 / 2002 E55K (SOLD)
My 2011 still have the generic TPMS
Peter_02AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!

checked the pressure, nothing spcial. All tires were at 30.5-31 PSI. Brought them up to 34 and reset the monitor.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #6

Drives: 2010 GLK
TPMS

You Americans got the good TPMS because NHTSA mandated tire pressure monitoring for the TREAD Act.

USA = direct measure at the valve stem giving actual psi / bar

Canada = indirect measure we got the cheap tire rotation "estimate" via the ABS sensor. I tested mine and had to drop the tire pressure around 20 psi to get the dash warning light on...

Notes from an engineer's diary
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #7

Drives: Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
One way around this is to bring the tire pressure up a bit higher, than when it gets cold and the pressure goes down, the warning doesn't come on.
2010 GLK350 4Matic,20" Sport Wheels,Iridum Silver,Premium Package,Panoramic Sunroof,COMAND Navigation,Rear View Camera,Bi-Xenon Headlights,Keyless GO,Media Interface,Satellite Radio,Rear Entertainment System,LOGIC7 Surround System,Burl Walnut Trim,

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
We grow old BECAUSE we stop playing!

SD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #8

Drives: 2010 GLK 2011 550i 2004 Z4
Not certain if it is a myth or not, but I had been told nitrogen is supposed to lessen the effect of pressure deviations.
nicolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #9

Drives: CLS63, GLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolak View Post
Not certain if it is a myth or not, but I had been told nitrogen is supposed to lessen the effect of pressure deviations.
Your right if I lived on the mainland with winter/summer conditions I would have nitrogen in my tires. Not a problem in Maui
Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2003driver View Post
Your right if I lived on the mainland with winter/summer conditions I would have nitrogen in my tires. Not a problem in Maui
stop bragging about Maui and your nice all year weather ... only kidding! What do you do there?

Last edited by NYCGLK; 10-23-2010 at 11:51 AM.
NYCGLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #11

Drives: 2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolak View Post
It's not a myth, and you're right, in a way, it lessens the effect of temperature variations: http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=97, scroll down to Nitrogen.

An APA note:
"It’s important to adjust tire pressure in the autumn, because the drop in temperature causes the air pressure in tires to go down significantly: tire pressure is reduced by 1.7 PSI (0.12 bar) for every drop of 10°C in temperature."
GLKKa2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #12

Drives: CLS63, GLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGLK View Post
stop bragging about Maui and your nice all year weather ... only kidding! What do you do there?
retired
Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2003driver View Post
retired
nice!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 AM

Tags
2010, 350, check, flat, glk, glk350, light, low, mercedes, pressure, raining, reset, sing, tire, warning