GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Expensive service B

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 4matic
Expensive service B

Did the service B today. It was for $550. The service advisor sneaked in other changes on the paper, $170 fuel injection flush, $130 brake fluid change, $60 air quality service, no explanation no mentioning. My wife signed in rush (lesson learnt). Adding tax, now it totalled almost $1100, complete rip off.

I will call their service manager tomorrow. Ask their explanation why the unrequired service were added without explaining to the customer....
Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
wow

here is my experience, i told them to f off, it's 20k mile car, shouldn't need anything.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...e-rip-off.html
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I know that service "A" is supposed to be a basic service (1 hour) and "B" service (8 hours) per the manual an extended service so service "B" at 20,000 miles calls for replacing (flushing) the brake fluid and replacing the cabin filter. I think they want to justify the need for 8 hours which I doubt seriously is what this service takes.

This not the first time that people on this forum have complained about the dollars spent versus the value for these services. I have not done these services through the dealer for that exact reason. My garage follows the inspections and services shown in the manual for a fraction of the cost and I think mine runs and performs just fine.

Sorry that you spent the $$$$'s that you did but I'm not sure that anyone can justify that kind of expense for a low mileage vehicle.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
times must be tough and they are trying to keep everyone on payroll by putting the *extras* without customer's knowledge. I guess they need the $$$.

It's like the dentist stating you need root canal when you darn well know you only need a filling or a cavity.

If you're not a mechanic like MBRedux, then more folks are going to get ripped off unless we voice our beef.... my 2 cents

Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by yualfred
Did the service B today. It was for $550. The service advisor sneaked in other changes on the paper, $170 fuel injection flush, $130 brake fluid change, $60 air quality service, no explanation no mentioning. My wife signed in rush (lesson learnt). Adding tax, now it totalled almost $1100, complete rip off.

I will call their service manager tomorrow. Ask their explanation why the unrequired service were added without explaining to the customer....

OMG! I almost spit out my mid morning coffee!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM

GLK 350 4matic
The issue is you have to follow their flex schedule so that you won't void the warranty. I don't even know if non MB garage can maintain your car without affect it. ie. can I change the oil myself and sign my name on the maintenance record booklet?

Last edited by yualfred; 05-10-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
I am due for my B service in 25 days and am curious about whether or not my warranty will be voided for not having the car serviced at the dealer. My mechanic can do all of these services for significantly less but I am concerned about the ramifications of not going to the dealer.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)

Defintely talk with the manager, get MBUSA involved, but...your wife did sign it. $1100 for a B service, and those additions is just straight raping. They give you the bill with a straight face...wow.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Mazda 5, GLK350
1000 realm is way too much. Even a Lamborghini oil change is only 600 with Ferrari cheaper
Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
i am so not looking forward to my B services either. I will keep an eye out for weird charges. Since OP and I are both in Canada we probably get ripped more than you guys in the US.

I drive so little 16,000 Km's a year that I think it's crazy to have to do all these inspections on such a new car. Only owned Acura's in the past (i know you guys do'nt consider them on the same level as MB) but that $50 service A and $150 Service B where they actually do work sure sounds more reasonable than a bunch of visual inspections.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
The issue is you have to follow their flex schedule so that you won't void the warranty. I don't even know if non MB garage can maintain your car without affect it. ie. can I change the oil myself and sign my name on the maintenance record booklet?

No, this is not correct. I, you, even Bozo the Clown can maintain your car without affecting your factory warranty (on any car) as long as the *Service Schedule* is followed and the person doing the work is competent enough. The Schedule Booklet is in with the Owners Manual zipper pack.

It is against the law to void warranties if the required service is performed by the owner or any other service facility other than the dealership.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The relevant legislation here, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, protects consumers from being wrongfully denied warranty coverage by new car dealers.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c): No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if —

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefore.

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle is prohibited from requiring you to use a service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

Specifically, the rules and regulations adopted by the FTC to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states: No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty." These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service.

Event participation
Some recent controversy surrounds car manufacturers' monitoring of SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and NHRA (National Hot Rod Association) events and noting license plates and VINs as a justification for denying warranty coverage and either voiding out the warranty, or placing it on "restricted" status.
The legality of these tactics by automobile manufacturers, in particular where the car is marketed with SCCA membership or literature or advertised in race-modified form, is questionable. To protect yourself, be aware of this trend and take the appropriate precautions in listing critical identifying information when participating in regional autocrosses, tracks days, and drag races.

If you believe that your warranty has been wrongly canceled or placed on restriction either because of modifications made to your car, or because of your membership in, affiliation with, or participating in sanctioned club events or gatherings, consult with an attorney and use SEMA as a resource to fight the denial of coverage.

When it comes to legality and warranty concerns, neither proceed based solely on slick advertising and marketing by parts manufacturers and resellers, nor allow yourself to be cowed into paranoia. Information is power, and knowing your rights and obligations is the foundation to any thoughtfully modified car.

Last edited by MBRedux; 05-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
The brake fluid flush should be done at the 2 year mark, though yours was a bit high.

Fuel injector service sounds like a joke.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by mac911
The brake fluid flush should be done at the 2 year mark, though yours was a bit high.
says who?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:18 PM

GLK350
Bubzy

Originally Posted by MBRedux
OMG! I almost spit out my mid morning coffee!

Well, that's what we got, if the supervisor is wearing a necktie, first class ahhh....they rip me also on service "B" charge me less than $900.00.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:45 AM

2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
As you can see from the posts paranoia runs high. MBRedux has done the homework for you. For those not interested in mods to your vehicle just make sure you use the correct fluids and replacement parts for your vehicle and you will be just fine. Since this is my first and maybe last MB wonder why MB requires the brake fluid to be changed at such a low mileage. None of the other vehicles I have ever owned required that. I can't believe there is a good reason for it unless there is something inferior about the fluid or brake parts.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
Originally Posted by MKenM
..... Since this is my first and maybe last MB wonder why MB requires the brake fluid to be changed at such a low mileage. None of the other vehicles I have ever owned required that. I can't believe there is a good reason for it unless there is something inferior about the fluid or brake parts.

I had other vehicles which required a change every two years.
The reason: brake fluid is hydrostatic, which means it attracts water. The water in the brake fluid can cause rust pitting inside the fluid cylinder resulting in fluid leaking past the rubber plunger. Once this happens the only cure is a rebuild or master replacement.

From " wikipedia" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

Service and maintenance:
Most automotive professionals agree that glycol-based brake fluid, (DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1) should be flushed, or changed, every 1–2 years.[2] Many manufacturers also require periodic fluid changes to ensure reliability and safety. Once installed, moisture diffuses into the fluid through brake hoses and rubber seals and, eventually, the fluid will have to be replaced when the water content becomes too high. Electronic testers and test strips are commercially available to measure moisture content. The corrosion inhibitors also degrade over time. New fluid should always be stored in a sealed container to avoid moisture intrusion.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
As you can see from the posts paranoia runs high. MBRedux has done the homework for you. For those not interested in mods to your vehicle just make sure you use the correct fluids and replacement parts for your vehicle and you will be just fine. Since this is my first and maybe last MB wonder why MB requires the brake fluid to be changed at such a low mileage. None of the other vehicles I have ever owned required that. I can't believe there is a good reason for it unless there is something inferior about the fluid or brake parts.
yea same here, never changed brake fluid on my last toyota with 100k miles (not best approach I know). I read about it back then, over time you have bubbles developing in the fluid decreasing pressure that can be transmitted, and fluid should be changed or "bleeded" to get rid of the bubbles, but not at 20k miles. I'll do it at 50-60k. What's the risk here? Brakes get a little less effective...maybe MBredux can chip in. Also the main difference between A and B according to my SA was they take wheels off and "inspect brakes". Please...at 20k miles what's there to inspect?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:16 AM

2011_C350
Hey guys....noob here.....

What am I missing here? We drive MBZ's and all expected the maintenance to be cheap?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
There is a difference between expensive and rip-off. Cheap is $25 oil change for toyota, expensive is 200-300 oil change for MB, 1k is a rip-off for things you don't need.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:27 AM

2011_C350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
There is a difference between expensive and rip-off. Cheap is $25 oil change for toyota, expensive is 200-300 oil change for MB, 1k is a rip-off for things you don't need.
What leads you to believe that the items included in the service are "things you do not need?"
Old 05-14-2011, 01:35 PM

2010 glk class 2010 c class
expensive service B

In the future, after negotiating you best deal on either a purchase or
lease, always insist the dealer throw in the 3 year 30,000 mile service
included. I have never had a problem getting this.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Richie999
What leads you to believe that the items included in the service are "things you do not need?"
common sense
Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 PM

2011_C350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
common sense
Yeah man! Fight the power!!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Richie999
I guess you haven't read the maintenance manual. If you read it there are more inspections than anything else. And what make you think that a C Class or GLK that you but for less than $50K is expensive in todays world. It is in comparison to a KIA Sorento.

I think you are missing the point There should be value for services received, don't you think?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:04 PM

2011_C350
I guess you haven't read the maintenance manual. If you read it there are more inspections than anything else. And what make you think that a C Class or GLK that you but for less than $50K is expensive in todays world. It is in comparison to a KIA Sorento.

I think you are missing the point There should be value for services received, don't you think?
Aww what a cute response (Pets MKen on his head)

I did read the manual and paid the $800 for the 3 years of service. HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Expensive service B