GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

COMAND and Voice Recognition Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GLK, 2016 BMW 1200GS
COMAND and Voice Recognition Questions

I just got my GLK and am manually doing my address book/phone list. Couple of questions. I have a 2012 with the Multimedia package.

1. If I enter an address through the address book, it cannot find that address for navigation purposes. But, if I create the entry using the Navi system, it does. (I then have to enter phone numbers after). I look and the only difference I can see is that if you have the system put the address in, it's all in caps. Anyone have that problem and a solution (other than always doing the new contacts through the Navi if you want to use them to navigate)?

2. Although I've put names in, and tried to do tags, when I dial (and then use a name), at best it dumps me to my address book. Again, any ideas? Do I have to use all caps?

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Are you saying that the Nav system can find a destination in your phone book? Is that new for 2012?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 AM

2012 GLK, 2016 BMW 1200GS
Originally Posted by MKenM
Are you saying that the Nav system can find a destination in your phone book? Is that new for 2012?
It can if I start the address entry using the Nav, save the destination, and then load the name/phone info in. If instead, I manually enter a name and address and phone number but then try to pull it up for navigation, it doesn't seem to find it.

I stopped tinkering with the issue because the work around worked, but it does seem odd.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Wow, if you're the same poor fellow who couldn't get their free Sirius offer to activate, it appears your sales guy was a real loser... and did not fairly earn his/her commission on the sale. They're supposed to go through the whole sequence with you and demonstrate how all these things are done, before handing you the keys. Sorry you are having all these issues. When you receive your Mercedes Benz sales questionnaire, you should let this be known!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:32 PM

2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by FiveG
I just got my GLK and am manually doing my address book/phone list. Couple of questions. I have a 2012 with the Multimedia package.

1. If I enter an address through the address book, it cannot find that address for navigation purposes. But, if I create the entry using the Navi system, it does. (I then have to enter phone numbers after). I look and the only difference I can see is that if you have the system put the address in, it's all in caps. Anyone have that problem and a solution (other than always doing the new contacts through the Navi if you want to use them to navigate)?

2. Although I've put names in, and tried to do tags, when I dial (and then use a name), at best it dumps me to my address book. Again, any ideas? Do I have to use all caps?

Thanks.
So here is another question why aren't you using the Bluetooth to sync your phone's address book to the vehicle?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:47 AM

2010 GLK 350, 09 ZX6r race bike, 06 YZ250f
My salesperson didn't show us how anything worked on the vehicle when we picked it up-hell he couldn't even figure out how to close the hatch...If I didn't get a smokin deal then I would have been pretty pissed.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 PM

2012 GLK 350
On a related note, does anyone know how to enter an intersection as the destination onthe Command Navigation using voice?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by da_coolestofall
On a related note, does anyone know how to enter an intersection as the destination onthe Command Navigation using voice?
If you use the Comand Wheel on the console to look at the Nav you will see that once you enter State and Town there is an option to enter intersection. Without using the wheel the same thing can be accomplished through voice commands.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:42 PM

2012 GLK 350
Originally Posted by MKenM
If you use the Comand Wheel on the console to look at the Nav you will see that once you enter State and Town there is an option to enter intersection. Without using the wheel the same thing can be accomplished through voice commands.
I have tried that, but enter intersection is not a valid voice command. Once you enter state and town, the voice asks if you'd like to put in a street. If you put that in, it asks whether you'd like to put in a house number. saying no just cancels the operation. Saying intersection also doesn't trigger the intersection UI
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 PM

2012 GLK 350--AMG Package 20" Chromed Wheels, Loaded
I didn't know that there was an "Intersection" option available. Will try to find it and repost on here though I hope by now you have figured it out.
As for the address book--waht type of phone are you using? Most smart phones will either sync automatically (bluethooth is a must) or you can go to the "options" on your "Smartphone-i.e. BB, iphone, android" and in options, press "transfer contacts"--while you are in the "address" option on the command system. Note that in my 2009 EClass, it did it automatically as soon as I synced it with the phone. In my wife's 2009 C300 AMG, (standart system, not Command) we had to use the smartphone to transfer the contacts. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2015, 11:56 AM

GLK350
My GLK 350 did not have the Multimedia Package but i was told you could still use Voice commands to make calls. We were told it works well. To our surprise when we got home and went through this we found you could not use voice commands! Is there a way to add this feature on? I feel we were misinformed by the dealer. Especially since we asked this question specifically. Very unhappy so far!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:00 PM

The Voice Control System is only available with the COMAND system. If you have Bluetooth you can sync the phone to the car and transfer your phone book to the car. Then you can use the controls on the steering wheel to bring up the address book on the multi function display (center of the speedometer). All of this is in the manual and and may vary slightly from year to year BUT without COMAND there is no voice control and it cannot be added easily/inexpensively.

You can use the voice commands on your phone to have it dial through the car but that depends on the phone you have. Sorry no other easy way, best of luck with your GLK.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by go1ndr
I didn't know that there was an "Intersection" option available. Will try to find it and repost on here though I hope by now you have figured it out.
When you go to the Destination screen after you start the NAV you will see an "Intersection" option on the lower line of the screen. It will stay dimmed until you have provided enough initial information through voice commands or the scroll wheel.