GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

40,000 Mile Service for $900 approximately - can someone enlighten me on this one?!.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GL 450, Mercedes Benz GLK 350, Mercedes Benz S 550
40,000 Mile Service for $900 approximately - can someone enlighten me on this one?!.

I'm currently at an MB delear at this time getting an oil change which is not supposedly due yet but I decided to just have it done. Anyhow, this representative that I'm dealing with had mentioned something about the 40,000 mile service which would cost at least a lil over $900 for the ffg services: Oil & air filter change, brakes and transmission fluid, air conditioner filter etc. Besides the $900 quote, what struck me more was when he mentioned that if I don't get this done, there is a possibility that the warranty will be voided if anything goes wrong with the vehicle. So I asked, what if I bring it to a car shop who specializes in Mercs? He tells me that, "of course, they have to know the right kind of calibration and using the right kind of fluids".

He just tells me, if they screw it up obviously the warranty would also be voided.

How seriously true is this? By the way, this is Not the Type B service, as mentioned, this is for the 40,000 mile service.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

The current prepaid incremental cost of the 40,000 service is $991. That is the differnece between the 3 & 4 year package. The thing I don't get is the advertizing claim of saving 30% over pay as you go service. Granted, there would be a 4 year inflationary price increase, but the prepaid service appears to be more expensive than today's prices.

ps: Did you get quotes from local, trusted shops?

PPS: Curious to hear from those more knowledgeable on the warranty voiding issue. IMO, that is just a scare tactic to get you into the dealer's service bay. Conversely, unless the cost difference is substantial, why bother?

Wayne
Scratching his head and trying to figure out the prepaid maitenance thingie in Texas.

Last edited by venchka; 09-29-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
as mentioned many times on this forum, you can service car anywhere you want and not void warranty. Your warranty is about to expire anyways, unless you have extended one.

The reason I would service the car at MB is less chance of something being done incorrectly and dealer service history for when you sell your car. Oh and they give you MB loaner while car is being serviced.

900 bux for 4th year service is not bad, but they have to explain what it includes.

They wanted to charge me 600 for 20k service, Service B (300) + cabin filter (100) + brake fluid flush (200). SA said the difference between A and B is they take wheels off to check brakes and rotate tires during service B, f that. I rotate tires so myself so I can also give them a good wash. I know that brakes are barely worn.
I told them to do Service A (200) and change cabin filter (100). Will do brake flush next time around.

At 40k, I would prolly do all of the required service tho.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I would tell you that the brake fluid purge is one of the most important things that needs to be done. If you have 40K and its never been done you are way overdue. Read this post about warranty. There are several more like it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...service-b.html
Old 10-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Mercedes GLK 350 2012
I just took delivery yesterday and I picked the 3 year prepaid for $769
I had a 06 C230, and service A cost me about $250 and B cost $450, maybe the dealership in my area charge more than others. So the total cost for 3 years will be $950.
So I guess I have no choice to choose the prepaid 3 years.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:16 PM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by samuel003
I just took delivery yesterday and I picked the 3 year prepaid for $769
I had a 06 C230, and service A cost me about $250 and B cost $450, maybe the dealership in my area charge more than others. So the total cost for 3 years will be $950.
So I guess I have no choice to choose the prepaid 3 years.
Can you pm me your dealership name or phone number? Thanks in advance.

When I bought GLK a few months ago, the dealership that I bought my GLK was selling the prepaid 3 years at about $950!!!! And they have me signed a form that I refused the prepaid plan. A couple of months later, they sent me a postcard telling me the wonderful 3 year plan which can save "up to" 30%.

Since with the prepaid plan, I can get a car serviced at any authorized dealership, I may purchase the plan elsewhere and get my car serviced at a different dealership in my area.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by glkgogo
Can you pm me your dealership name or phone number? Thanks in advance.

When I bought GLK a few months ago, the dealership that I bought my GLK was selling the prepaid 3 years at about $950!!!! And they have me signed a form that I refused the prepaid plan. A couple of months later, they sent me a postcard telling me the wonderful 3 year plan which can save "up to" 30%.

Since with the prepaid plan, I can get a car serviced at any authorized dealership, I may purchase the plan elsewhere and get my car serviced at a different dealership in my area.
Howdie neighbor! Where are you & what dealers are you thinking of for service?

Wayne
In East Texas.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:06 PM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by venchka
Howdie neighbor! Where are you & what dealers are you thinking of for service?

Wayne
In East Texas.
Hello!! I'm in the DFW area. I believe in DFW, there are only two groups of authorized dealerships: MB of plano or the three Park Place dealerships. Probably I will try one Park Place dealership in Grapevine or Dallas, but I will call around later when the service is due.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. Keep me posted. I'm in Tyler. If DFW dealers are any cheaper, I could go over there and get in trouble while the car is being worked on.

Here is a dealer in San Jose, CA who advertizers service specials. For information. Won't do us any good.

http://www.beshoffmotorcars.com/specials/service.htm

Wayne
Looking for M-B Service Love in all the right places.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
Hey Wayne,

Classic has ALWAYS been great to me for service. I just took my 2005 C class in for tranny fluid and brake fluid change, and even though prices went up the charged me what I paid for the same service two years ago. ( saved me about $75 ) my car has 161000 miles and they have never shaken me down for unnecessary things. Oh yeah my b service on my GLK didn't cost that much because I didn't need a cabin filter (changed myself) or wiper blades.

To the OP, there are some dealers that are really screwed up. Brake fluid flush @ $90, Tranny fluid (new price )$350, and then the cost of a regular service, well $900 is too far out of the ballpark, break it up you don't have to do it all at once...
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by polarbexar
Hey Wayne,

Classic has ALWAYS been great to me for service. I just took my 2005 C class in for tranny fluid and brake fluid change, and even though prices went up the charged me what I paid for the same service two years ago. ( saved me about $75 ) my car has 161000 miles and they have never shaken me down for unnecessary things. Oh yeah my b service on my GLK didn't cost that much because I didn't need a cabin filter (changed myself) or wiper blades.

To the OP, there are some dealers that are really screwed up. Brake fluid flush @ $90, Tranny fluid (new price )$350, and then the cost of a regular service, well $900 is too far out of the ballpark, break it up you don't have to do it all at once...
Thank you! That is fabulous news. We are new to the whole M-B world. I am so glad to hear that Classic treats folks right!

Wayne
Counting the days on the Upper East Side of Texas.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
I'm so glad I do all this myself... $1,000.00 for what should only cost a few hundred at best....geeezzz
Old 10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by MBRedux
I'm so glad I do all this myself... $1,000.00 for what should only cost a few hundred at best....geeezzz
If/when I am in the same location as the vehicle, I may have the luxury of DIY auto care once more.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:05 AM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by polarbexar
Hey Wayne,

Can you be more specific about "Classic" in DFW? (Is it in the DFW area?) I tried to search Classic auto/mechanic/car, but I cannot find the "Classic" shop that you are referring to. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by glkgogo
Can you be more specific about "Classic" in DFW? (Is it in the DFW area?) I tried to search Classic auto/mechanic/car, but I cannot find the "Classic" shop that you are referring to. Thanks!
Sorry. East Texas, not DFW. Come on over and visit!

Classic-Tyler Motors. The Mercedes-Benz dealer in Tyler, TX.

http://mercedes.classictyler.net/

They are on Old Jacksonville Hwy about a 1/4-1/2 mile north of Loop 323. Just north of the Toyota dealer on the corner.

Wayne
Picking up Lisa's GLK at Classic-Tyler Motors someday.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:12 AM

Took the glk to the dealer today for the 40,000 mile service. They are asking for $1049.99 that includes the regular inspection and top off fluids and tire rotation. Also includes :replace engine air filter,replace cabin filter,brake fluid flush, transmission oil & filter change and engine oil & filter change.

I told the service adviser that not change the cabin filter and the engine filter as I do that myself. Also no tire rotation since the tires are new.

He then advised me just do a A Service for $265, brake fluid flush for $149, transmission service type 9 with filter for $350. Totalling to $760+ He told me that I saved a lot of $$ because i can change those filters. Total was $75 less because of the promotion they have for A service.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by jecy
Took the glk to the dealer today for the 40,000 mile service. They are asking for $1049.99 that includes the regular inspection and top off fluids and tire rotation. Also includes :replace engine air filter,replace cabin filter,brake fluid flush, transmission oil & filter change and engine oil & filter change.

I told the service adviser that not change the cabin filter and the engine filter as I do that myself. Also no tire rotation since the tires are new.

He then advised me just do a A Service for $265, brake fluid flush for $149, transmission service type 9 with filter for $350. Totalling to $760+ He told me that I saved a lot of $$ because i can change those filters. Total was $75 less because of the promotion they have for A service.
Wow, it's very apparent that dealers make their money in the service bay, and constantly discourage customers from doing anything that threatens that authority, like performing your own maintenance, that only service technicians know what they're doing, and we customers should shut up & never question their authority or else they make up false threats like warranty coverage... for they know what's best and we don't..... well I say to hell with that. If I wish to maintain my car, I'm entitled to do so by law.

Last edited by MBRedux; 11-22-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 E400 Wagon Black/Black MB Tex P1 & Sport Wheel Package
Yikes. I have a 2010 GLK that is about 26 months only but it only has 12,000 miles on it so I have had very little done besides oil & filter changes & fluid checks. It is a 39-month lease. I take it to a PP dealer in Dallas but have never been threatened about the warranty. Actually the 1st oil change I had done at an indy MB repair near my house.

I guess they have gotten enough $ out of of me on our 2044 CPO E320 wagon which we bought from them which only has 53K miles but we own which we are now having serviced at Autohans after spending thousands this year on struts./bellows/suspension issues.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
Here is my experience with the 40,000 mile service.

The first dealer I went to wanted $1300 for the B0 service, which he reduced to $1240 when I told him I already replaced the air and cabin filters. So I left.

The next one I called wanted $840.

Finally I found a third dealer who is doing it for $613. A lot less than $1240.

So it sure pays to shop around for service, if you are lucky enough to have several dealers in your general area.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by Papillon1108
I'm currently at an MB delear at this time getting an oil change which is not supposedly due yet but I decided to just have it done. Anyhow, this representative that I'm dealing with had mentioned something about the 40,000 mile service which would cost at least a lil over $900 for the ffg services: Oil & air filter change, brakes and transmission fluid, air conditioner filter etc. Besides the $900 quote, what struck me more was when he mentioned that if I don't get this done, there is a possibility that the warranty will be voided if anything goes wrong with the vehicle. So I asked, what if I bring it to a car shop who specializes in Mercs? He tells me that, "of course, they have to know the right kind of calibration and using the right kind of fluids".

He just tells me, if they screw it up obviously the warranty would also be voided.

How seriously true is this? By the way, this is Not the Type B service, as mentioned, this is for the 40,000 mile service.
You can save money by servicing your own car.

The air cabin filter and air filter are very easy to change. The air filter can be changed in under 10 minutes from the hood without any tools. Plus, the air filter itself runs about $30 (MANN) including shipping. Dealer charges $100 for this.

Air cabin filter can also be changed with a screwdriver. It takes about 30 minutes to 1 hour. First time always takes the longest to figure it out, but once you get through the glove compartment, it literally takes under 5 minutes to switch out. The air cabin filter is about $40 including shipping. Dealer also charges $100.

Transmission fluid change should be done by the dealer. I tried changing this myself and it was a disaster. If you purchase this separately, I paid about $250 for a complete transmission fluid change with new air filter, gasket, etc.

The oil change is also surprisingly easy. Biggest hassle is the plastic underbody. However, once you take that off, it is very easy to change your own. Just unscrew the oil plug and about 7.5 liters flow out. The dealer pumps it out from the top. I have a pump as well, but I can tell you from experience that if you pump from the top, you can only get out about 4-5 liters out. The GLK holds about 8.5 Liters of oil. You want to drain as much oil as possible with these vehicles. My dealer charges me anywhere from $120 to 150 for an oil change, depending on the season and promos. If I change my own oil, it costs $10 (Mann oil filter including shipping) + Mobil synthetic 0w-40 ($6.32 x 8 bottles at walmart = $51) with a total DIY oil change of $61. If I'm lazy and bring my own oil and filter to the Korean guy at the private lube & tune place, he'll charge me $30 flat for labor for the entire oil change.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 AM

2011 B-Class 200 Turbo
Originally Posted by lyonkster
Here is my experience with the 40,000 mile service.

The first dealer I went to wanted $1300 for the B0 service, which he reduced to $1240 when I told him I already replaced the air and cabin filters. So I left.

The next one I called wanted $840.

Finally I found a third dealer who is doing it for $613. A lot less than $1240.

So it sure pays to shop around for service, if you are lucky enough to have several dealers in your general area.
And if you are a repeat customer, you'll get price breaks in other ways, I'm sure.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
I liked the third dealer... Not only did he give me the best deal to begin with, he also told me about a competitor's coupons for transmission fluid flush that he would honor if I printed them and brought them with me. I like that attitude!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:26 AM

GLK350 4matic
I recently changed my own air and cabin air filters. I'm about ready to tackle my own oil changes as well - the dealer has loaded 9 quarts of oil in my GLK 4 times now, and, I'm tired of pumping out the excess. My question is - how hard is it to reset the maintenance minder if I start doing my own service?

Regards:
Oldengineer
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Oldengineer
I recently changed my own air and cabin air filters. I'm about ready to tackle my own oil changes as well - the dealer has loaded 9 quarts of oil in my GLK 4 times now, and, I'm tired of pumping out the excess. My question is - how hard is it to reset the maintenance minder if I start doing my own service?

Regards:
Oldengineer
An easy DIY job.... Remove the bottom splash guard and warm engine, drain from the bottom! That way you can remove all the crud. Hint: pull dipstick to allow air in. Oil filter is also easy... lift/tug off front engine cover, filter is right there. Remove cap, filter, clean... replace filter with new O rings.
Reset procedure...page 4
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...tedDocId=10502
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e450 Wagon, GLK 350
I just got a quote for pre-paid maintenance from my dealer -- Based on current rates for A and B service, this looks to be more expensive.

3 yr/30k miles-$1049
4 yr/40k miles - $1829
5 yr/50k miles - $2149

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 40,000 Mile Service for $900 approximately - can someone enlighten me on this one?!.