GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

The Official GLK Problems with Aging Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by force28
My mom's GLK is at around 40000 KM, and the break squeak is horribly loud. With the radio in medium volume, we can still hear the squeak from the outside. When we reach a stop light, it's so embarrassing when someone turns and look at a mercedes that's making the noise. Anyone else have this problem?
40,000k is too early for the brake pads to be worn down, unless you are excessively rough on the brakes.

Embarrassing? I guess so. Not for the noise. For the lack of attention paid to a potentially catastrophic, deadly conditon.

This is not neccessarily a fault of the GLK aging. We don't have enough information to diagnose the problem. We do have enough information to STRONGLY advise you to get the problem corrected. As I said earlier, disc brakes do not make noise without there being a problem. Don't list this as a fault of the GLK.

Wayne
Old 12-18-2011, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bump for the new folks.

Wayne
Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by venchka
.... As I said earlier, disc brakes do not make noise without there being a problem. Don't list this as a fault of the GLK.

Wayne
Sorry but this is not an entirely correct statement. Disc brakes make lots of noise due to brake dust buildup. All German cars experience this as they use softer pads than other makes do. Softer pads perform better therefore better braking but the downside is noise and very dirty wheels. The noise can be remedied by removing wheels and cleaning the areas as well as applying a particular compound (sorry can't recall name - I think it's lithium grease) on the back side of the pads.
So in summary, when brakes squeal it does not necessarily mean you need brakes.

Last edited by aggst1; 12-19-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by aggst1
Sorry but this is not an entirely correct statement. Disc brakes make lots of noise due to brake dust buildup. All German cars experience this as they use softer pads than other makes do. Softer pads perform better therefore better braking but the downside is noise and very dirty wheels. The noise can be remedied by removing wheels and cleaning the areas as well as applying a particular compound (sorry can't recall name - I think it's lithium grease) on the back side of the pads.
I don't think I pointed to a specific problem. We are all too far away from the vehicle in question to know what the problem is. My point is that the vehicle needs to be inspected by a qualified service shop and the noise eliminated.
If what you say is true of ALL German vehicles with disc brakes, we have all been hoodwinked. I repeat, since 1989, as far back as I can recall for certain, I have owned 3 vehicles, driven them a total of 400,000 miles and never ever heard the brakes make any noise at all. The brakes also stopped me as required. Any performance to the contray is unjustified. German brakes included.
ps: There are probably a dozen BMWs of various age and model here at work. I never hear their brakes. I will ask the owners if their brakes make noise.

Wayne
Old 12-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 E400 Wagon Black/Black MB Tex P1 & Sport Wheel Package
I have had my GLK since August, 2010 and only have about 12,000 miles on it. I just bought a new front wiper blade as original was squeaking. I am very pleased with the car. No major problems (knock wood). Looks and drives very well.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1
I don't think I pointed to a specific problem. We are all too far away from the vehicle in question to know what the problem is. My point is that the vehicle needs to be inspected by a qualified service shop and the noise eliminated.
If what you say is true of ALL German vehicles with disc brakes, we have all been hoodwinked. I repeat, since 1989, as far back as I can recall for certain, I have owned 3 vehicles, driven them a total of 400,000 miles and never ever heard the brakes make any noise at all. The brakes also stopped me as required. Any performance to the contray is unjustified. German brakes included.
ps: There are probably a dozen BMWs of various age and model here at work. I never hear their brakes. I will ask the owners if their brakes make noise.

WayneI don't think I pointed to a specific problem. We are all too far away from the vehicle in question to know what the problem is. My point is that the vehicle needs to be inspected by a qualified service shop and the noise eliminated.

Wayne
WARNING! DO NOT APPLY LITHIUM GREASE TO THE BACK OF YOUR BRAKE-PADS. Serious failure may occur! Brake caliper grease is NOT made with lithium. Besides, brake caliper grease should not be used to coat the back of the brake pad, but used to lube the caliper track, pins, rails, etc. of the "caliper", and not the pad in my opinion because it can contaminate the friction surface if applied improperly.

Use this instead. The description of the RED DISC BRAKE QUIET bottle says as following, "CRC Disc Brake Quiet is a specially formulated to dampen the vibrations that cause disc brake noise. It forms a water-resistant, high temperate film that will absorb noise and quiet disc braking. Disc Brake Quiet should not be applied to brake lining.

The BLACK CALIPER GREASE bottle says, "A specially formulated synthetic grease containing molybdenum disulfide, graphite, and TELFON. Keeps critical sliding parts in brake calipers free for optimum braking efficieny. Helps to prevent caliper blinding, sticking, vibration and squeal, and provide for even pad wear. Prevents rust and corrosion on brake parts to assure extended safe performance. Extremely high temperature features make certain this lubricant will not melt or run off caliper assemblies, metal backing plates of the disk brake pads, self-adjusters and drum brake systems. DIRECTIONS: When rebuilding, assembling, or installing disc brakes, thoroughly clean or replace all bolts, bushings, holes, pins, inserts and anchors. Lubricate all parts with a light coat of this grease including bolts which mount caliper to vehicle. Apply grease to caliper components with a small brush. Use cautiously to coat the back of your pads if they didn't come with Teflon shims or if the new pad is squealing."

I personally would use Teflon shims or CRC Disc Brake Quiet on the rear of the pads instead of any grease.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My "grease"...

Wayne to SA: My brakes make a noise. Fix it.
SA to Wayne: Your M-B brakes make that noise because they are the finest brakes in the world.
Wayne to SA: Stop the brake noise. If not, I will file a Lemon Law Claim.
SA to Wayne: Yes sir, Mr. Wayne. We will stop the noise.

Wayne
Old 01-21-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Little things, but still a pain

1. A/C leak. Fixed under warranty, but two trips back.
2. Squeaky brakes at 12k. Took 3 and 12 months for a resolution. MB paid for parts, but we paid labour.
3. Front light bulb. Not a surprise at 3 years.
4. Leaking windshield fluid reservoir. Fixed under warranty.
5. Loose trim piece in back. Not resolved.
6. GPS issue. Can't search for a retailer in another town. Comes up alpha order by locale. Try searching Costco. Comes up with Alaska locations first. Told that it is programming error that can't be fixed. What a pain!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz GLK350W4
GLK transmission problems

2010 Mercedes-Benz GLK350W4 - we had a lot of "road noise" and i thought that the new tires might be bad or that it had a bad bearing, but when we had it in for service, they said it was the transmission. and i can't remember the sequence of events, but eventually MB replaced the transmission. Tranny now clunks badly when shifting at 20 mph (2nd to 3rd?). They've done a couple of computer resets, but we're now going back the third time - not too pleased about this. my wife had dreams of driving this car for a 1,000,000 miles.

rear door power lift has always been a problem. i'm about 50% successful, my wife slightly more.

Otherwise, like the car. the $300 upgrade of the GPS software is ridiculous.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
i brought my car in for it's first B service (around 30,000kms) last Thu. I asked them to look into the power hatch again as it doesnt open randomly. They said they are going to replace the motor this time as supposed to lubing stuff like last year.

Got a call late Thu saying they found a gasket leak between the transmission/engine. Said it was really small and something they're starting to see more often on GLKs. I had a GLK loaner over the entire weekend and noticed the door sills are not as wide so it's easier to get in/out of the car (also didn't realize they gave me a RWD one until i couldn't make up a slippery hill, lol).

I can pick up the car tonight so i'll report on what was actually replaced. overall i think this is considered a reliable car by Mercedes standards as they've pretty much brushed off everything as a "small inconvinince". lol.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:13 PM

2012 E350 Luxury
2010 GLK w 22,000 miles. Back left brake light burned out. Minor fading of interior plastics. Leaking windshield washer bottle (replaced under warranty). That's it. Everything else has been perfect. Tires wearing fine, average about 24 MPG. Paint fine, back hatch fine. Tranny's fine with the minor exception of gear "confusion" on occasion.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
for those that are interested, my work order states: Front transfer case output shaft seal leaking. Got the car back but noticed some werid humming noise when slowing down. Not sure if it's just tire noise from the 20's after rotation. The loaner with 17 inch winters was noticeable quieter though
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I complained about the noises from side mirrors when opening and closing.
After greasing them and the noises still there.
The dealer replaced both side mirrors.....under warranty.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 AM

glk 350
had ours since 10-2009 now at 40k, ours also had 1 episode of mistimed hatch lift mech. dealer fixed over about 3 days. but i work out of state so i had the 2011 sedan for 8 days. then same issue within a month. turned out some of the bolts were not tightened. alteast he was honest. nothing since then. absolutely nothing. i do my own toutine stuff and even the numb feel has improved...somewhat
Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 AM

GLK 350, 98 BMW 328is, M3
Noise, lots of it. Drove on vacation this weekend 400 miles road trip. Mainly the driver side window, maybe front upper left corner windshield.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am going to stop bragging about our GLK. 5:00 pm today. Just under 8,000 miles. Backup camera failed to activate. Dealer on Saturday.

Wayne
Old 04-09-2012, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am going to stop bragging about our GLK. 5:00 pm today. Just under 8,000 miles. Backup camera failed to activate. Dealer on Saturday.

Wayne
False alarm. Worked fine for my wife. I guess it reset after an off-on cycle.

Wayne
Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
False alarm. Worked fine for my wife. I guess it reset after an off-on cycle.

Wayne
So I guess this means the bragging will commence once again!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by MBRedux
So I guess this means the bragging will commence once again!
Nope. That was my gentle reminder to be humble and silent. Like the GLK. More or less.

Wayne
Old 04-12-2012, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
56k kms and had the car since apr 2010.

one transmission replacement but it was under warranty (so not really an age issue)
screw caps from rear hatch have a tendency to fall out.

otherwise the car is doing well... will be bringing her in for Service A next week. Still on original scoprions tires that came with the car. And still in love with the Carneol Red on her
Old 04-12-2012, 02:14 PM

2010 GLK
Canadian GLK spec @ 3-years and 40,000 km:
- No serious problems to report.
- At the dealership for regular A, B maintenance.
- Recent transmission flush and fill $$$$.
- Driver's seat cushion replaced under warranty because of crease/crack...I have running boards and think I swing out to clear them but no hassel from dealership.
Overall I would say the GLK is well built in Bremen Germany!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm reviving this old thread since so many of us GLK owners are now realizing that we can actually make a difference in helping Mercedes Benz improve the car!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:58 AM

C300 4Matic P1 18" rims
2010 GLK350 4Matic at 60,000 miles now
I have had 1 bulb fail replaced under warranty
Other then that had pads done at 42k and regular service.
The one thing i started to hear is a strut or suspension noise
Over bumps but thats prob from driving on NYC roads.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^^^ Not too bad considering NYC roads! (I'm from NYC)

2010 GLK350 4-Matic Loaded
Needed new rear right side marker
Rear LCA bushing
New transmission on order. Tranny developed the whine sound of death. (Transfer-Case Failure) Very upset.

Besides this, MB would better serve it buyers if they improve the handling characteristics of this car IMO

Some Concerns I wish they would address:
1) Steering Feedback is too numb!
2) Turn in needs improvement
3) Larger wheels and offset models requires new steering geometrics to improve self-centering characteristics.
4) Overall suspension is way too soft. Front end plows even with the slightest throttling!
Maybe have variable suspension as a option.
5) Make interior more contemporary, less wood!
6) Raise the freaking Climate Controls for better access, or place them on a new touch screen master controller.
7) Enlarge the outside RV mirrors slightly.
8) Larger brakes/calipers needed.
9) Place pad sensors on all inner pads rather than one side only.
10) Improve rear design to better accept a hitch. HomeRun and pre-wire all the necessary electrical to a rear receptacle for instant hitch hook-up!

Last edited by MBRedux; 06-24-2012 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wheatridger (01-31-2023)
Old 06-24-2012, 01:43 PM

2010 GLK350
Click/Snap from Cargo Cover or Rear area?

Hello,

My 2010 GLK350 has 42k Miles on it and I've started noticing a "snapping" noise from the rear cargo area over bumps. It's almost like the cargo cover is moving and the plastic makes a noise when the body flexes, but I have removed the cargo cover completely and the noise is still around. I have tried pressing on all the interior panels in the cargo area to see if some of the fittings are lose but it hasn't really solved the problem. This only happens over bumps, on a smooth road there is absolutely no noise.

Anyone else experiencing this noise over bumps from the cargo area interior trim?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Official GLK Problems with Aging Thread