GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

The Official GLK Problems with Aging Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK
Originally Posted by Bob338
You're taking a VERY pessimistic approach. It's quite unlikely that you will be forced to replace the transmission. Hard to judge what the problem could be as a whine could mean almost anything, most likely a bad bearing or gear. The tranny can be taken down, rebuilt and be good as new. Have no clue of prices in Canada, nor the expertise to tear it down, but a dealer shouldn't have too many problems. Wild guess is that you could looking at $2500 for a rebuild, on up to maybe $7000. The labor will be the biggest thing and it depends on what your technicians make up there. That also varies wildly. Labor here runs anywhere from $70 per hour to $120. Multiply by the time it takes to remove, replace and tear down, and that will give you an idea. Maybe 25 hours? The labor will be the biggest part. While the parts aren't cheap, you'd probably not require many, unless it's been run low on lubrication and stuff is floating around in there damaging otherwise good parts.
Yes it is a very pessimistic approach, I would agree. It was more an assumption that the transmission would need to be replaced as there were so many cases of this in this thread.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Just curious:

Did you buy your cars new?

Did you perform the required services including transmission service?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:25 PM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by MKenM
Just curious:

I did not buy the car new. It was bought in 2011 and had roughly 53k on it. Shortly after I got it, it was in for a service b and the transmission service was done at that time. All subsequent services have been performed since.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
Originally Posted by MKenM
Just curious:

Bought new. Have done all required services. Transmission service hasn't been done yet because I haven't reached time or mileage yet.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:05 PM

2010 GLK
I took my GLK into the dealer this morning and they just called me back. The service manager explained to me that the problem is with the transfer case. They checked the oil and there are metal shavings in there as well. $7,200.00 for the new transfer case and $650 for a new torque converter which he said was needed. $10k when all said and done. Anybody have any advice on how I should proceed with this? I told him I would call him back Monday morning.

This is clearly a defect within the transmission. My warranty has miled out. I don't really want to drop $10k on a 4 year old vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
I would search out www.car-part.com . I have not read all of this thread but I'm going to assume the dealer is talking a full transmission(w/transfer case) and torque converter. Go to that website, put in your data.. eg 2010>2011 GLK and search... Most GLK trannies go for approx $2300!!! Find yourself a 2nd tier/independent repair shop that has MB experience. I'm betting you could do the entire thing for $4K. Yes, a lot of cash... but much better than the dealer's $10K! If, in the final end, you don't feel comfortable with the vehicle, trade it in.... You've already saved the trade-in loss!!!! Or... possibly hit the dealer up for a trade-in right now and see how much he 'hoses' you for it...
Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 AM

2011 B-Class 200 Turbo
What Koenig1 says. The dealer is using scare tactics. Small shavings are normal wear and tear (hence why changing oil and filter is important). Chunks are bad.

Was the GLK fine when you drove it there?
Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by Road_Ghost
What Koenig1 says. The dealer is using scare tactics. Small shavings are normal wear and tear (hence why changing oil and filter is important). Chunks are bad.

Was the GLK fine when you drove it there?
There has been a whining sound coming from the transmission much like a lot of other have had in this thread which resulted in a full transmission replacement. The transfer case was the culprit in those other instances as well with mine.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 PM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by Koenig1
I would search out www.car-part.com . I have not read all of this thread but I'm going to assume the dealer is talking a full transmission(w/transfer case) and torque converter. Go to that website, put in your data.. eg 2010>2011 GLK and search... Most GLK trannies go for approx $2300!!! Find yourself a 2nd tier/independent repair shop that has MB experience. I'm betting you could do the entire thing for $4K. Yes, a lot of cash... but much better than the dealer's $10K! If, in the final end, you don't feel comfortable with the vehicle, trade it in.... You've already saved the trade-in loss!!!! Or... possibly hit the dealer up for a trade-in right now and see how much he 'hoses' you for it...
Thanks for the reply. I did the search on the website you posted and don't feel terribly comfortable with a used transmission from an older model as so many in this thread have had transmissions replaced. Mercedes has had this issue rectified in their new transmissions and I don't want to take the risk of having this happen again.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
I hear you.... so, rather than spend $10K on a 4yr old vehicle, what might your dealer suggest/inspire you $$ wise to a new vehicle??? Hey, parts to repair yours are at his cost.... might be worth it.. $10k is a lot to think about... good luck
Old 11-05-2013, 05:38 PM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by Koenig1
I hear you.... so, rather than spend $10K on a 4yr old vehicle, what might your dealer suggest/inspire you $$ wise to a new vehicle??? Hey, parts to repair yours are at his cost.... might be worth it.. $10k is a lot to think about... good luck
That is definitely something to think about. I will talk with them and see what they can do for me. If not, I will get it repaired as I ended up getting a pretty decent deal on the GLK anyways.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:18 PM

2011 B-Class 200 Turbo
Originally Posted by kerrly
There has been a whining sound coming from the transmission much like a lot of other have had in this thread which resulted in a full transmission replacement. The transfer case was the culprit in those other instances as well with mine.
Seen! Last time I had a transfer case whine was in a Dodge Raider where gear oil had leaked out and was running dry.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Never mind... it's the G, not GLK! Sorry!

However, this is the one I think may help you! This could also cause the noise you hear!
__________________________________________________ ____
MERCEDES BENZ GLK: REAR WHEEL WELL

MERCEDES BENZ GLK 2010 Safety Report #SB-2011030001
MERCEDES BENZ GLK 2010 technical service bulletin was issued Mar 01, 2011.MERCEDES BENZ GLK 2010 / Failed Wheel Well Weld . MERCEDES-BENZ: THE SEAM SEAL IN THE RIGHT REAR WHEEL ARCH IS NOT UP TO SPECIFICATIONS. INSPECT AND REPAIR AS NEEDED. 2011 204.9. *RM .
__________________________________________________ ______
My March2013 GLK has started developing a rattle in what I think is the right rear wheel area. I've been unable to pin it down to anything so I guess I'll let the dealership figure it out and let them know this issue sounds suspicious.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
I assume you checked the lug nuts. Someone may not have tighten them, but not likely. Still check I have seen cars lose wheels both fronts when the bearing seize and rear when the axle clip in the dif lets go. Could be a broken spring in the emergency brake assembly but there are posts of noises coming from the lift gate and the a lose rear spoiler.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
General Update

We bought our 2010 GLK 4-matic used 2/13. It was a lease return with less than 16k miles (!!!), still had 13 mos. of warranty left.

We got the dreaded "whine of death" from the transfer case at 17k miles, while on vacation in Las Vegas. The dealer in Henderson, NV replaced the transmission with a new one. (This is clearly an endemic problem with the early GLKs - I'm hoping that whatever part that was failing has been updated. Since later cars seem not to see this failure, I'm reasonably confident we're OK from here on out.)

Also just to keep it unanimous, we also had the leaking windshield washer bottle problem, and that was replaced under warranty in September.

Ours now has 24k miles. Nothing else to report. I'm hoping that the almost universal nature of the early hatch motor failures means ours was already replaced while in the hands of the first owner - in any case, no problem there so far.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
If the hatch motor was repaired by the previous owner there will be a record of it. Ask the dealer you use to bring up the service history of the car and you will see all the work that was done to the car before you bought it.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 AM

2001 SLK320
Battery on my 2010 GLK350 keeps on dying. I recharge and after a few starts during the day (usually 2-3 starts), it's dead again. Called Benz dealer and it is not under warranty. Car has 46200 miles.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
AFAIK if you still have warranty coverage the battery is covered under warranty. At least in Canada it would seem to be. I had an issue with the battery in my C63 and I called the dealer and he said it was covered if it did not pass the charging test required by MBC.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1982 380 SEC (Euro), 2013 GLK 350
Greetings all,
I've aired my beefs elsewhere, but for emphasis, will address them here as well.
Purchased a 2013 GLK 350 4-matic in Sept, 2012 & drove cross country - 16,500km's / 10,000 miles & took it in for an early "A" service.
- transmission replaced - metal shavings
- parking sensors replaced - sounding at oncoming traffic
- rattle developed under centre console - not found but located on the second time around as a loose parking brake cable
- right front parking lights (LED) failed - required front end disassembly to access bolts - unit replaced
-"B" service required @ 23,000kms
On the first transmission - the vehicle suddenly downshifted from highway speed to about 40mph, fortunately the roads were empty. This happened a couple of times, hence early service. Be aware!!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:02 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by cottager777
My March2013 GLK has started developing a rattle in what I think is the right rear wheel area. I've been unable to pin it down to anything so I guess I'll let the dealership figure it out and let them know this issue sounds suspicious.

Thanks
Dealer did a visual and was not able to see anything that would be the cause. They replaced the shock and all is good now. He said this was the first time they'd heard of this rattle coming from inside a shock.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by phil17
2010 here with 40,000kms. was stopped at a red light and the car decided to vibrate/shake for a couple seconds. no error lights etc and never happened again. Really hoping this is a 1 off. my list:

- creeking door handle (decided to live with it)
- thermostate replaced once
- one lifter replaced due to startup noise
- power tail gate sometimes won't open (fixed twice, one motor replaced, still does it sometimes)
- washer tank leak (no time to bring it in)
Same exact thing happened to me on Saturday. I have a 2013 GLK350 and was on the way to the dealership to have the vents replaced (they click like crazy when warming up or cooling down). While at a red light, the car started to shake and idle rough for 5-6 seconds. ECO mode was disabled and would not come back on, and the check engine light flashed. I made an appointment for this morning and noticed yesterday that the parking brake indicator would stay lit even after releasing the brake. Also, although ECO mode came back on, it seems very intermittent. I mentioned all of this, and also asked them to fix the creaking door handle and replace the weatherstripping on the top of the windshield, which feels loose and is causing a lot of wind noise at highway speeds (i taped it to the windshield with black electrical tape and the awful wind noise was reduced). I also asked for them to adjust the instrument panel so I don't have to clear the "mbrace inactive" message every time I start the car. I have 23,000 miles on it and bought it CPO with 22,000 miles in October.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
haven't posted in while and saw this thread up so figured I should chip in.
Another year passed by and I'm happy to report that I'm now at 45k miles (almost 5 years) and haven't had any problems since last time I posed except for another nail. One thing I forgot to mention last time is that I'm not my 3rd windshield (all replaced by Safelite through insurance). Paint is is like new with only a few chips on the bumper (only hand wash by me and NuFinish 2-4 times a year).

I only have done A service (really an oil change) annually and brake fluid flush every 2-3 years. Service B is pointless as I rotate my own tires and can check the brakes myself.
Replaced air filter myself (stock - don't use K&N)
About to replace cabin filter myself
During next service will do tranny flush.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:48 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Another year passed by and I'm happy to report that I'm now at 45k miles (almost 5 years) and haven't had any problems since last time I posed except for another nail. One thing I forgot to mention last time is that I'm not my 3rd windshield (all replaced by Safelite through insurance). Paint is is like new with only a few chips on the bumper (only hand wash by me and NuFinish 2-4 times a year).

I only have done A service (really an oil change) annually and brake fluid flush every 2-3 years. Service B is pointless as I rotate my own tires and can check the brakes myself.
Replaced air filter myself (stock - don't use K&N)
About to replace cabin filter myself
During next service will do tranny flush.

Are you on a 4Matic? If so, I am surprised your tranny didn't blow up by now...
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by MBNA109
Are you on a 4Matic? If so, I am surprised your tranny didn't blow up by now...
I'm at 48K right now with my 2010 GLK 4-matic.

Only problems so far -
3 dead light bulbs all occurring around 10-25K miles

One new issue arose today that I've been neglecting for several thousand miles is this rattling on the front left. Going to take it to the dealer soon before my warranty runs out. Hope it's not the shock.

I do all of the car's service myself. Except when I took the car to the dealer for an oil change on two occassions. I also changed the transmission fluid myself, but I totally botched it and had to take it to the dealer. I've changed all the air filter and air cabin filters myself. I am still on my OEM brakes with good pad left.

I changed the transmission fluid at 45K. I got worried reading about all of the transfer case and torque converter problems on this forum. My transmission seems to be working fine, and it still drives very smoothly. No metal shavings seen when I changed the tranmission fluid.

Got the car a wheel alignment one time when I got new tires.

Last edited by rocketd55; 01-08-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM

W204
subscribed...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Official GLK Problems with Aging Thread