GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

NAVIGATION UPDATED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350 4matic
Cool

Thanks for all the information you have so kindly provided. (I am quite familiar with the operation of the Nav system having used it quite extensively while travelling. So far I have driven in excess of 24,000 miles with most of them being out of town.)

1. The Nav system in my vehicle is 2010 NA version v6.0 which here in Canada is a $1950.00 option. (Voice control and a 6 slot DVD changer was also included)

2. And yes, a cross street is named on full zoom within 50 feet of the intersection. (By this time I can see the street sign on the street post.) I would like street names 4-5 blocks in advance like my 'cheap' $200.00 Garmin gives me.

3. I don't like typing either. Recently I needed to locate a bike shop in Bryson City, NC. My Nav system didn't have a POI for bike shops. Neither did my 'cheap' Garmin - but my 'cheap' Garmin allowed me to type in "bike shop" and then found the address and directions for me!

4. Navteq wants $250.00 to update my Nav data. The dealer wants $225.00. My 'cheap' Garmin gives free updates for life!

just saying....................
Old 12-06-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
I am going to chime in on a couple of points below:

Originally Posted by cindyclk
Are there so many new streets that you are getting lost that you need an update often? I'm using an '04 version in my '2 MB and don't get lost in the entire northeast region.
Yes - there are new streets being added all the time & just because you travel all over the NE could mean you know it like the back of your hand based on experience....so your total knowledge could mitigate any lack of effectiveness of your NAV. This is why a NAV system that is constantly updated like Google Map may eventually put all these map companies out of business.

Originally Posted by cindyclk
re: POI..usually when using navigation, you don't know the names of restaurants etc...the POIs guide you there. I couldn't even begin to count the number that are listed when I do a navigation for a destination just 10 miles away. Why do you want to type them in?
Because half of the world DOES know the name of a POI like YellowStone or IHOP. So they type those POI's in & expect it to come up logically.

I usually don't let the magic 8 ball NAV 'suggest' my POI.
Search usually means freedom to search it any way you can conjur up & not being restricted to just one way.

Last edited by MBNA109; 12-06-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
If you have live in the NE US or any other metroploitan area, you need a nav system. There is no way you know the way to get to most places by the "back of your hand" unless you travel there often. Going from Boston to a rural address in PA is not by the back of my hand...and I get there fine with "outdated" maps.

As far as the cross streets are concerned, I have no idea what you are looking at...I see every street named (not just cross streets) for a 1/4 mile on my screen.

You make a few good points but most of the updates are for brand new streets in an area being developed.

You can type in the the POI into our nav system....like"bike shop" and if it's in the data base it will show up....that being said, if they are not in the data base, it will not show up. It might not show up with an update. The POIs are gathered by overlaying maps and they tag newer POI. It's up to the map suppliers to decide if they want to include them.

FIY..Navteq supplies all the mapping for Garmin, Bing, Yahoo maps, Mapquest, and our systems data base.

Any auto manufacturer GPS is ultimately a rip off as far as price is concerned. The update price is a rip off also.

If you want a clean look of your dash, go w/the MB nav option. If you don't care about the wires, mounting brackets, suction cups etc...get a Garmin. But for the vast majority of situations the OEM nav system is just fine and I would rather the clean look.

Last edited by cindyclk; 12-07-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Way back when...

I jumped in my 1999 Volvo about dawn north of Columbus, OH, near Alum Creek Marina. Before sundown I pulled into Merrimack, NH. There was snow on the ground so the days weren't very long. Roughly 10-12 hours on the road. Hartford was probably the largest town I went through. I skirted the perimeter of Boston. I only had real paper maps for navigation. I didn't fall off the edge of the Earth. Just one of many road trips in North America & Europe accomplished with real maps during my lengthy stay on Earth.
As for POIs: It cost money to be included. GOOGLE Maps & an internet clever phone are the answer. There is a limit to that information also.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 12-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by jiw71

1. The Nav system in my vehicle is 2010 NA version v6.0 which here in Canada is a $1950.00 option. (Voice control and a 6 slot DVD changer was also included)

just saying....................
Could that be the problem? Less detail in the cartographic database north of the border?

Version 6 is possibly two versions old. I think that there was a v. 7 and now, since September, v. 9 is the current version. I suggest you find someone with the current database in their vehicle and compare maps & POIs. Your database may not be as far behind as you think. Or, put another way, the new database may not be much better FOR YOUR AREA.

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-North.../dp/2067159402

Wayne
Old 12-07-2011, 04:33 PM

Clean look vs. being lost
Clean look vs. Outdated maps
Clean look vs. $3K

I'm as stupid as every other person drinking that kool-aid above I guess.

But glad to have the Matrix (Google) as a backup watching over me when I can't make out what is on my clean look screen or the clean look screen tells me to get to a place that is navigable just to start.

Last edited by MBNA109; 12-07-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by MBNA109
Clean look vs. being lost
Clean look vs. Outdated maps
Clean look vs. $3K
Clean look to satisfy Spouse Unit. Pricele$$!

Besides, the nav. system was part of a $2,600 package. Way back in 2003, the nav. system in the Stealth SUV Turbo Race Wagon was $2,000 and the maps were years out of date, no voice control, no bird's eye view, etc. It does have a cool remote control.

Wayne
Old 12-07-2011, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK. Here's the deal. Don't Diss the M-B navigation system. It is only as good as the Zagat guide loaded in the machine. Which is to say: Sucky. I just logged into the Zagat guide. I entered 3 locations. 2 that we went to last weekend & 1 that we are going to tonight. All 3 are missing from the Zagat guide. Does that tell you anything?

Another indication of incomplete lisitings:
Houston, TX
BBQ-21 locations.
Mexican-29 locations.
I pass more BBQ & Mexican restaurants on my 9 mile round trip commute. The Zagat Guide is useless.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 12-07-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by venchka
Had an occasion to use the Nav. System last Saturday. 2012 System, v. 9 software.

1. I tried voice input. System balked. Naturally, a small hotel in downtown Houston, TX wasn't on the list of national chain hotels. Google maps & my Blackberry found the hotel by voice entry in 2 seconds.
2. Lisa patiently went through the manual entry procedure. Getting to the point where the system allowed her to input the actual street adress took a couple of guesses for multiple choice questions. Once we got to the right place, the system accepted the address: 220 Main Street. Bam! We had guidance.
3. Yesterday we drove from the hotel south to Rice Village using the map. Piece of cake. I even discovered that the system displays lane layout at intersections (left, left-straight, straight-right, right) along the bottom margin of the screen.
4. From Rice Village, we called up Wayne's World (saved location for my apartment) & the car got us home just fine.
5. I haven't paid much attention to street names. I'll check it out. Are you zoomed in/out to a scale that doesn't show the information you need?
6. Early results: I like it. The voice input may not be the answer. The map information is more than adequate. Superb actually. The day/night auto switching is nice.

Wayne
Simple question did you train your Nav system to recognize your voice? Mine works very well using voice commands. You obviously need to use the vocabulary it recognizes. Have you spent the time? If you are like most people myself included we choose not to read the instructions and just see what happens. If you haven't (read the directions) try it you'll like it

BTW No offense you have been a member since Sept and you have how many posts? Go out and drive your GLK and enjoy, we'll be here when you get back.

Last edited by MKenM; 12-07-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Gas is expensive.
Free web.
Keep the enthusiasm Wayne.

No offense bs.
Not your servers.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:17 PM

2012 GLK 350--AMG Package 20" Chromed Wheels, Loaded
(reposted in another thread):
I too just picked up my new 2012 GLK-350-loaded out with all the goodie. The one thing I really wanted was the too cool 3D graphics on my buddies 2013 E-Class. I have the ver 9.0 and it does not have the 3D option anywhere on it. I contacted my service writer buddy and sent him pictures from this site of the 3D output and he had not seen them--amazing to me!! He had his guy call Germany and it seems that the only model that doesn't not support 3D is the 2012 GLK350!!!
This is what he emailed to me:
Here is the info I got from Germany through our shop foreman:

S33 is similar in regards to navigation to S32. Essentially, the 2012 will NOT have 3D navigation available. This will be available for the GLK with MY2013.
Only selected models received the upgrade for this year (C/CLS/E/M/SLK) with more to follow next year.
Nav + 4 (code 079) only supports 2D navigation display.
He did say he will contact me when an updat is available. I went to the Navtec site and they say that it is not available at this time for my 2012 GLK and that I have the newest version for that car. Kind of sucks! I'm buying the update as soon as it comes in. I live in So CA and when driving in the cities like LA or San Diego--or when in San Francisco, it is worth it's weight in gold. Other than that--the nav system actually works great for me. Just FYI
Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes. I do need to train my voice system.
I learned that the street lists are arranged in odd and even sets. I must have been picking the odd list for an even number.
Voice directions worked in under a block this evening. Voice calling works famously.
I am learning: "S" mode for freeways!

What does bird's eye mode do? M-B trickle down upgrades SUCK!

Wayne
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by MKenM
Simple question did you train your Nav system to recognize your voice? Mine works very well using voice commands. You obviously need to use the vocabulary it recognizes. Have you spent the time? If you are like most people myself included we choose not to read the instructions and just see what happens. If you haven't (read the directions) try it you'll like it

BTW No offense you have been a member since Sept and you have how many posts? Go out and drive your GLK and enjoy, we'll be here when you get back.
Yes. Yes. Yes. I ran afoul of odd-even street numbers compounded by the fact that Main Street was too common and runs for miles & miles. Last night I had an occasion to give the system a very simple task and it performed quickly and flawlessly. I also initated two phone calls with minimum physical input. AND I learned more about the nav. system display. Like the fact that it will display the next 3 exits and services available for the Interstate system IF you have the screen scale set to 0.2 mi or greater.

Join date and post count have nothing to do with my competance to operate a vehicle. Some aspects of this vehicle are odd. Others are downright convoluted. I am adapting as required. Example: Going back into my phone directory and editing contact information to more closely match how the car reads things and expects me to use the voice command system.

Now, on topic. Here is my screen set to maximum scale showing EVERY street name within the view of the screen. If this is different for Canada, talk to Navteq.

As you can see, I was out driving. I left work at 5pm. Set the "S" swtich and hit the GO button on the freeway. 28 minutes later I had finished my business at the Amish Craftsman on Washington Ave. I asked the nav. system to direct me to 403 West Gray. The nav. system complied. Love this car.

Wayne
Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 PM

What is the "S" mode???
RE:
Bird's Eye view changes the way the maps are displayed. Brings the view in closer as if you were "flying" over the streets, so to speak. Try it out. I use it some of the time and have also set up my "symbols" to included coffee shops, buildings, gas stations, etc. Not 3D but makes it look a little more pleasant.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S is the mode you get into when you press the S > E button near the base of the shift lever. S = Sport in M-B speak. You get your 7 speeds back. 1st gear starts. Faster, quicker downshifts. Higher RPM upshifts. You know. Like a real transmission.

OK, so bird's eye is 2 1/2 D? I will have to play with the symbols. Right now I get EVERY Shell, Texaco, Chevron & Exxon gas station on the planet. I did manage to turn off the traffic nonsense that was cluttering up the display.

Wayne
Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by go1ndr
What is the "S" mode???
RE:
Bird's Eye view changes the way the maps are displayed. Brings the view in closer as if you were "flying" over the streets, so to speak. Try it out. I use it some of the time and have also set up my "symbols" to included coffee shops, buildings, gas stations, etc. Not 3D but makes it look a little more pleasant.

A bit off topic go1ndr but notice that you had front plates; is it mounted on the black plate base bracket?

If so, do you notice it clashing with your white vehicle?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:26 PM

Venchka: Sorry, my bad! I knew what the S/E (used to be S/C) was on the center console but thought that the post was in reference to a Navigation command. Sorry! Did you notice that it defaults back to "E" when you turn it off? Annoying! "S" is always better!

MBNA109: Those are actually Dealer Adv paper plates that were on when I took the picture. I live in CA and have to wait for the plates (or tags in my case) to come prior to putting them on (abount 2 wks). I have personalized licens plates and normally do not use any type of bracket when attaching the plate. The picture on the plate is a tropical scene available in CA and the brackets cover up part of the picture of the palm trees--kind of defeating the purpose of buying the plate/tropical scene. On my E350(s) there was no clash and the front plate actually ended up being a little rounded or bent to fit the bumper. Back is flat. Don't expect the GLK to be any different. I hope this is what you were asking as I sometimes tend to be too detailed
Old 12-08-2011, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No worries hey! The machine defaults to E so M-B can hit their EPA mileage numbers.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:47 PM

LOL
Old 12-08-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by go1ndr

MBNA109: Those are actually Dealer Adv paper plates that were on when I took the picture. I live in CA and have to wait for the plates (or tags in my case) to come prior to putting them on (abount 2 wks). I have personalized licens plates and normally do not use any type of bracket when attaching the plate. The picture on the plate is a tropical scene available in CA and the brackets cover up part of the picture of the palm trees--kind of defeating the purpose of buying the plate/tropical scene. On my E350(s) there was no clash and the front plate actually ended up being a little rounded or bent to fit the bumper. Back is flat. Don't expect the GLK to be any different. I hope this is what you were asking as I sometimes tend to be too detailed
Sorry I meant, did they put your temp tags on a black plate holder of any sort?
Because the bumper is shaped like a point (beak) you would have to possibly bend your plate if MB didn't provide this flat faced holder (back of holder is shaped to fit over bent part of front bumper).

I wanted to know if they had provided it to you; if so, does it clash with your white & annoys you?

Sorry if I am too OCD!

Last edited by MBNA109; 12-08-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I checked. It is thick, molded to fit the front facia, black, holds a standard plate/tag frame. Definitely a Mercedes part. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by venchka
I checked. It is thick, molded to fit the front facia, black, holds a standard plate/tag frame. Definitely a Mercedes part. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Paintable you think?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not a paint person. No clue.
I'm sure there is a paint that would adhere to the surface. Epoxy maybe? 2 part polyurethane? Something designed for the marine industry? However, matching the body color would be tricky.
With the dealer frame on the front, you really can't see the black plastic part attached to the bumper.

Wayne
Old 12-09-2011, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Back on Topic.

Has anyone checked the Nav. System indicated ETA against real world information? My old system seems to use about 20-25 mph on country roads to generate ETA. Even when the actual vehicle speed is 65-70 mph.

This afternoon we made my bi-weekly 255 mile dash from NW Houston to the house. A trip I am very familiar with and know exactly where I should be at each of the 4+ hours the trip takes. The GLK nav. system's ETA was spot on throughout. On several occasions, the cruise control governed speed and distance remaining exactly matched the ETA.

I love this car.

Wayne
Old 12-10-2011, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDi 2k SLK230 Designo 04 SLK 320 Final Edition 2010 GLK350 06 VW Beetle TDi 2012 Plug In Prius
When you need to update the maps go check out the W204 forum.
There is usually a group buy for the map upgrades going on and the W204 uses the same map data as the GLK except that there are a lot more W204 owners out there looking for deals.

What usually happens is the person staring the group buy looks for about 15 people to buy in and then collects the names and money for the buy. The cost of the map upgrade is divided among the group members and the map is purchased. Each member of the group is also expected to send the disk on to the next group member at his own expense after he upgrades his own system.

Based in the order received or by geographical location to the next closest group buyer, the map disk is then sent to each group member to update his system. After that group member updates his system he sends the disk onto the next member of the group. After everyone has upgraded their system the disk goes back to the guy that started the group buy and he can do whatever he wants to with the disk. ( see the next option)

The last time I updated my GLK the total cost including sending the disk to the next person on the list was around $27.

The other option is to buy the disk for yourself and after updating your system you sell the disk on eBay. Since the updater disk should be the current revision number it will quickly sell for around 75% of the purchase price because most of the disks for sale on eBay are many years out of date.

Since you only need to use the disk one time to upgrade your system and after that it becomes an expensive disk that you have no further use for, selling it while it is still worth something will help you to recover most of the cost of the upgrade purchase anyway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NAVIGATION UPDATED