GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Thinking of buying GLK

Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHEVY
Thinking of buying GLK

Hi I am new to benz's. I have owned many bmws over the last 10-15 years and I started out loveing them. I purchased a x5 a couple of years ago and it was the worst car I have ever owned. I paid more in repairs than I paid for the car. Worst part was I pretty much gave it away. I also got rid of my 335 (JUNK) and I will never own another Bmw unless its a classic. Now my wife and I are looking at getting another small suv. I have always like the looks of the GLK350 but I am scared it will be a turd. We are also looking at a Gmc Terrain. They are about the same price and features with same mileage. Around 25,000. We will be buying used and cant afford the repair bills anymore so I need something reliable. Let me know what your guys thoughts are. I have did tons of research but havent found anything bad about either one other than little stuff like hatch not opening. I am not worried about the little stuff just the motor, tranny, electrical, and suspension. I think the Gmc would be cheaper to work on but if I dont have to work on it doesnt matter. Thank YOU
Old 12-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
I have had good success with the Benz products. So much so I just ordered a 2012 GLK to replace my wife's 2001 E320 with 126K miles. Have had some repairs, but nothing I wouldn't consider outrageous and attribute to normal wear and tear. (Poly belt, 2coil packs, shocks and tie rods and a thermostat.)
I also searched forums and talked to owners about the GLK, and everyone loves them. Big contrast to say the ML forum, where owners frequently post repair issues, (me included). Still, my ML CDI has covered 100K miles since 2007, and Mercedes extended warranty has handled all so far, so I have not much to really complain about. (Lord help me for the next 100K!)

What I will tell you that if you go used, get a CPO with the 100K miles warranty and negotiate a deal. Also pay attention to the options, as some have more than others and the pricing is not that far apart.
I went new because the options I wanted were not available used, and I was able to negotiate a price I was happy with.
Just have to wait now till Feb. to pick it up.
By the way, you will find the Agility Control Suspension ride will be somewhat superior to the GMC.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Oh, and here is a link as to what helped me decide.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 AM

GLK 350, 98 BMW 328is, M3
We did the same thing, rid of that BMW E90 after four years. This is my first MB. My wife love it so is my daughter. Materials inside and outside seems more quality than the BMWs..knock on wood.
Just buy the extend warranty.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 BMW M3, '11 GLK350 AMG (RWD)
Think you'll be happy with the GLK. I'm a diehard BMW fan and the GLK is my first Mercedes. 12k miles and not one problem!

Also, great ride, handling balance on this one, amazingly stable thru the curves (better than some cars I've owned), but also just a beautiful, comfortable highway cruiser.

Shame to hear about all your problems with the X5, and 335, both cars I've considered purchasing, guess I might be keeping my E46 for the long haul!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Oh, and here is a link as to what helped me decide.
One more reminder that the U.S. market doesn't get the best version of the GLK. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Tom,

Take a long hard look at the luggage capacity behind the rear seat of the GLK. If that is important to you. While we love our GLK, our 2004 Volvo XC70 will haul substatially more stuff with the rear seat up.

Good luck.

Wayne
Old 12-16-2011, 11:08 AM

2010 GLK 350, 09 ZX6r race bike, 06 YZ250f
We bought ours used as a CPO and I think its a much better value than new as you get a longer warranty and obviously you don't take the initial depreciation hit. We had to look for a couple months before we found the right combination but we have been very happy. We have around 37k miles on it now and not a single problem or hickup.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Bought a 2010 new in Jan '09, have 36K on it with no problems to speak of. If you recommended service through the dealer you should price out the difference between MB and Chevy.

I have a brand new Corvette and the recommended service most of which you can do yourself is less than what MB recommends.

If it is at all possible don't buy on price alone. Lots of luck. If you buy the GLK post some pictures.