GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

blown trans at 29k

Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250 Bluetec
No Warranty but still hope.

There is hope from independent shops if you are out of warranty and have problems with your 722.9 transfer case. This shop from Elmhurst Illinois explains what failed, what parts must be replaced and how to do it.

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motor...-past-midnight
Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250 Bluetec
Part II

Hate to beat a dead horse but heres another link describing the problem part: an $80 bearing that fails.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221...-problems.html

Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by islanderinnyc
Guys , I just bought a 2014 GLK350 4matic with 18 miles on the ODO, Today, and I have that noise, called the dealer and and will have it checked on saturday....cannot believe is would be my 1st benz experience.
He said the car had 18 miles on it. Thanks for the info but next time.........
Old 08-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Three MB's: GLK, ML & E - Class with Panam Grill
Originally Posted by coda1970
Hate to beat a dead horse but heres another link describing the problem part: an $80 bearing that fails.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221...-problems.html

4MATIC whining noise
Just received a quote of $7,200 from MB Dealership. same whining noise for the past 6 months while they fiddle with it. started at 52,000, did transmission service at that time since I never knew about the 40,000 transmission service. Dealer used only 6 quarts as noted on the receipt, noise got slightly better but now with chucking noise slower that the wheel turn based on the dealer it is connected to the same issue. anyone jknows what could that be since it is slower than the wheel turn? same syptoms like everyone else no noise if car not moving just when above 30 mph regardless what gear the car is in or even if i shut-off the car while driving.

it is 2010 and out of the 5 year CPO warranty while still within the 62500 Mileage limits, dealer gave me goodwill for $5,200 but i still have to pay $2,000 for an MB FACTORY REBUILT - not new.

Anyone with soild insight to CALL corporate, any TSB, or heard MB program for the customer to pay $600 for these failing 722.9XX transmissions?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM

anyone ? or am i the only one battling with these in-sane 722.9 transmissions???
Old 08-28-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
I know MB moved from 7G Tronic to 7G Plus in 2012. 2013 for GLK models. Hoping they improved transfer case materials while they were upgrading the transmission (since the case is part of the transmission for 4MATIC 7Gs).
Old 08-28-2015, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by rjz2177
4MATIC whining noise
Just received a quote of $7,200 from MB Dealership. same whining noise for the past 6 months while they fiddle with it. started at 52,000, did transmission service at that time since I never knew about the 40,000 transmission service. Dealer used only 6 quarts as noted on the receipt, noise got slightly better but now with chucking noise slower that the wheel turn based on the dealer it is connected to the same issue. anyone jknows what could that be since it is slower than the wheel turn? same syptoms like everyone else no noise if car not moving just when above 30 mph regardless what gear the car is in or even if i shut-off the car while driving.

it is 2010 and out of the 5 year CPO warranty while still within the 62500 Mileage limits, dealer gave me goodwill for $5,200 but i still have to pay $2,000 for an MB FACTORY REBUILT - not new.

Anyone with soild insight to CALL corporate, any TSB, or heard MB program for the customer to pay $600 for these failing 722.9XX transmissions?
2k out of pocket is not a bad deal especially if the tranny comes with 5 year warranty. That's the gamble with driving cars our of warranty, crap can brake. Early 2000's porsche 911 had big issue with bearing failure causing engine failure and $20-25k engine replacement.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
2k out of pocket is not a bad deal especially if the tranny comes with 5 year warranty. That's the gamble with driving cars our of warranty, crap can brake. Early 2000's porsche 911 had big issue with bearing failure causing engine failure and $20-25k engine replacement.
The replacement in the quote of $7,200 is an MB re-manufactured unit - not new- dealer said 1 year/12,000. konigster helped in identifying that MB re-built are 2 year/24,000 that is on my list to identify to the dealer. Is it all new parts inside an MB re-manufactured tranny, or hit and miss, and most importantly has the root cause of the defect eliminated or another couple years the same problem will start again ???

I saw in one of the threads here or benzworld, and of course can't find it now, that there is an MB program to pay for this even out of warranty with $600 contribution from the customer...anyone heard of this and can give me more detail how to get it ? also how do I know that
Old 08-29-2015, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
7200 should be for new tranny (less core) and 3.8k is for re-manufactured (less core). So your 2k now makes sense and is not a "goodwill". See links below.

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/p/gb/Mer...wd=&origin=pla

And these guys offer 5 year warranty on a used unit:

http://www.carmonkeys.com/2011-MERCE...pPcaAjJa8P8HAQ
Old 08-29-2015, 11:03 AM

7200 should be for new tranny (less core) and 3.8k is for re-manufactured (less core). So your 2k now makes sense and is not a "goodwill". See links below.

And these guys offer 5 year warranty on a used unit:

http://www.carmonkeys.com/2011-MERCE...pPcaAjJa8P8HAQ
Thanks for the reply. My $7,200 dealer quote include labor material, taxes...complete for a re-manufactured unit down to $2,000 out of my pocket....not sure what you meant the $5,200 difference that they are covering out of the cost is not a "goodwill"... Is a "goodwill" means completely free replacement or just there contribution that depends on each case? Confused me a little bit.

If a re-manufactured unit does not have complete new internal parts, do I need to worry about how many miles was on the unit before they remanufactured it and hope for the best that the previous owner was gentle enough on it before his unit failed?

I saw one of the thread that they add a 3 digit codes at the end of the serial No. on the body of these MB re-manufactured that signifies the cause of these transmission failures had been addressed inside, and of course I can not find it anymore, anyone knows what are these 3 digits codes on the body of the re-manufactured tranny that I need to look for before the re-manufactured unit will also fail again couple years from now if the culprit to this issue has not been addressed.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Thanks for the reply. My $7,200 dealer quote include labor material, taxes...complete for a re-manufactured unit down to $2,000 out of my pocket....not sure what you meant the $5,200 difference that they are covering out of the cost is not a "goodwill"... Is a "goodwill" means completely free replacement or just there contribution that depends on each case? Confused me a little bit.

If a re-manufactured unit does not have complete new internal parts, do I need to worry about how many miles was on the unit before they remanufactured it and hope for the best that the previous owner was gentle enough on it before his unit failed?

I saw one of the thread that they add a 3 digit codes at the end of the serial No. on the body of these MB re-manufactured that signifies the cause of these transmission failures had been addressed inside, and of course I can not find it anymore, anyone knows what are these 3 digits codes on the body of the re-manufactured tranny that I need to look for before the re-manufactured unit will also fail again couple years from now if the culprit to this issue has not been addressed.

I thought your quotes were just for the tranny with install being 1k or so.

If the tranny is 2k (after core trade-in) it's 5k to drop and reinstall tranny ...wow. But I really have no idea what's involved.

I have no idea what re-manufactured means. Considering amount of labor, might as well get the new unit with proper warranty or just trade-in for another benz, perhaps they would be sympathetic and give you a good deal given it's year end. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:46 PM

I thought your quotes were just for the tranny with install being 1k or so.

If the tranny is 2k (after core trade-in) it's 5k to drop and reinstall tranny ...wow. But I really have no idea what's involved.

I have no idea what re-manufactured means. Considering amount of labor, might as well get the new unit with proper warranty or just trade-in for another benz, perhaps they would be sympathetic and give you a good deal given it's year end. Let us know how it turns out.

maybe I was not clear....their quote for complete fix (i.e. MB remanufactured Tranny, labor, Misc. material, etc....) complete is $7,200 for everything. they went back & forth with MB local rep. and now they are telling me I will have to pay $2,000 out of my pocket and they share the rest of the cost with MB as a "goodwill". it is not $5K to drop and reinstall, they said it will be done the same day they receive the Remanufactured unit as simple swap & reprogram.

anyone knows if the MB remanufactured of the 722.9 had eliminated the cause of this design flaw?
Old 08-29-2015, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993

anyone knows if the MB remanufactured of the 722.9 had eliminated the cause of this design flaw?
It sounds like it's a bad bearing in those units that fail (really just the bearing failing), not the design flaw. Bearings can always go bad. Hopefully there is better quality control or a different supplier with newer or re-manufactured units.

But who knows...I read a while back that somebody went through 2-3 trannies. That sounded like there was something wrong with the drivetrain causing the tranny to fail...or a very bad luck.

I'd suggest spending time on C forums, there might be more technical knowledge and there are many more C-classes.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:52 PM

Just got it replaced with Torque converter last week and paid $1,500 and they covered the rest of the $7,200 as a goodwill.

Whining noise gone, drives smooth and shift nice BUT while parked on N or P and when I slam on the gas to the floor for a second and let go...rpm jumps to about 1700 - 2000 rpm and on its way back to idle half a second later I feel this snap like someone kicked the car with his foot....tried couple time same thing happen...its like something spring-loaded binds and snaps out when engine speed is going back to idle around 1200 rpm. An idea what could that be ??? reading about the 7G PLUS they introduced pendulum damper...is it possible they have it also now in the Remanufactured 7G and causing this snapping literally feels and sound like someone kicked the car ???? does anyone else notice this in their cars?