GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Low Beam Headlight Replacement - and the dreaded spring/clip

Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SLK320
Took me less than 10 minutes to replace the driver side low beam bulb. The trick is to remove the wing nut holding the windshield fluid reservoir and moving it over slightly while getting to the rear of the lamp. You can pull up on the wire end looking like an upside-down parenthesis just 1/8 inch and that releases the bulb. Pull out the bulb while holding onto the wiring clip, replace the bulb, put it back with the wires attached. Push straight down on that clip you pulled up in the first step, while holding it flat against the receptacle. Bingo, you're done. Note, that the clip is on the top end, not the bottom.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 BT
Originally Posted by paulglk
Ok.. i'm super frustrated with the whole lowbeam headlight issue with the GLK. I did do my passengers side replacement in April this year. Sure to heck, the drivers side is now out. My vehicle has 31,000 kms and this sucks.

Anyway, i figured that since i did the passengers side myself (used the telescopic mirror trick) and was able to work the spring properly, i figure i'm smart enough to replace the bulb in the drivers side now. Well, no luck, the spot is just too cramped and i got as far as getting the bulb out (by feel), but the spring came off. Thank the Lord the spring didnt fall into the headlight assembly.

Now i have to try and put the new bulb in and then the spring back into place. I think i may have to tie some fishing line to the spring, just incase i drop it into the headlight assembly. Is it true you cant buy the spring by it self ?

Any tips from someone who's done the drivers side recently on putting the spring back into place?

I'm so tempted to just take the whole front drivers side wheel liner out.
Is your car under 2 years old? MB Canada covers bulb replacement for 2 years and 40,000km.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:49 PM

GLK350, ML320, 996, 914
I gave up on trying to get the new bulb installed on our 2010 GLK. Too cold outside and better things to do. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they were good enough to do it at no charge. Because the clip was in my hand rather than attached to the car they said it was quicker and easier to remove the wheel and inner fender liner which didn't seem to take them very long at all and may be an alternative to doing it by feel.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 AM

glk350,450sl,c230,450slc
headlight replacement with clip off

1.5 hours later ,some blood but lightbulb replaced . It can be done without removing fender and bumper ....i did use a drop of silicone to hold bulb in place. thanks for the tips
ps ....this was the r/s ...
Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 PM

2010 GLK350 2wd
glk350 lowbeam replacement additional help

THNX for all the lead in help. I was trying to replace the bulb and figured I should get some hints. the hints are great but I added a useful step.
  1. Read all the other stuff.
  2. SLIDE the spring is the biggest piece of info - its not hinged, its intended to slide
  3. Get a piece of hose/tubing that fits snuggly around the two blade connectors on the bulb.
  4. Cut it to length where it will rest on the fender well as the bulb is fully inserted in place.
  5. I notched my tube (because you cant see squat) so I could feel on the tube where the bottom tab angular position was and rotate the tube as needed for a good fit of the bulb
  6. You can rest the tube on the fender well or hold it.
  7. With the other hand, use a tool of the right length to get on top of the spring to start sliding it down. The space above the spring is to restricted to use your finger. Too long of a tool will not allow you to get the tool on top of the spring to push down. Use the inside casing of the headlamp assembly as a guide to make sure you come in above the spring with the tool. Once you get the spring started downwards, its easy to finish by hand.
This was crazy easy after the needed preparation (including reading all of your tips).

BTW - I bought a pair of bulbs intending to replace both sides. I opted to let the drivers side blow before I replace it (additional evidence of intelligence!!!)

Bob
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 AM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by CPEE
I gave up on trying to get the new bulb installed on our 2010 GLK. Too cold outside and better things to do. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they were good enough to do it at no charge. Because the clip was in my hand rather than attached to the car they said it was quicker and easier to remove the wheel and inner fender liner which didn't seem to take them very long at all and may be an alternative to doing it by feel.
Every vehicle I have owned including my last Lexus LS460 had this issue and the dealer always just pulled the fender liner. Its about a 15 min per side procedure and a straight shot to the bulb, why would anyone take the time to try and make their hands fit from on top, when this is so easy to get at with the fender liner pulled back slightly?

I bought the replacement bulbs as I use my headlights often and bought it CPO with 2.5 years already on it, but have not tried this yet, just curious to see what others have experienced if you did pull the liner back slightly as is discussed here vs what seems to be a surgical procedure from above.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C63 AMG
NEWBIE HERE.... quick question. I have a 2010 GLK and my questions are will a Diamond Vision Philip Bulbs H7 will fit my low beam and Diamond Vision Philip Bulbs H11 will fit the fog lights? And what kind/size for the city light? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 C63 AMG
I did it!!! Best advice was the fish line to tie the clip/spring and taking pix with my iphone and just starring at the pix while my hand is inside the headlight... What works for me is just taking off the clip and inserting a new bulb and install the clip again .
Old 06-09-2013, 01:43 PM

2010 Mercedes GLK 350
So the clip came off and disappeared inside the bulb housing. Can't see it, tried a magnet, no luck.
Anyone know where I can buy a replacement clip online?
In the meantime I held the bulb socket in place with a piece of duct tape and then put a piece of memory foam on top and screwed the cover on with the foam holding the socket in place under pressure from the cap.
What kind of heat builds up inside that bulb housing?
What are my other options other than paying the dealer?
Thanks
Len
Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 AM

Lost low beam clip

Hi Len,

Where did you end up buying the clip from? I did the same thing, right now the bulb is just glued on with superglue.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 PM

11' GLK350 - AMG Package
don't understand how so many have issues with this bulb replacement...after reading the thread, reviewing the pictures and taking a cell phone pic of my own before "un-engaging" the clip I was able to get both done in a total of 15 minutes. Slide clip up, replace bulb, slide clip down. Piece of cake..if done correctly there is 0 risk and dislodging and/or losing the clip. It is actually well designed to slide up and slide back down without having to completely remove the clip/assembly
Old 07-29-2013, 03:37 PM

Congratulations on taking it off in 15minutes
Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 PM

GLK350
Many thanks!

Originally Posted by tbu1n
The GLK user manual tells you that the low beam headlight bulb is replaceable by the owner and yet many people on this forum say its a job for the dealer. Changing the driver side (USA) bulb is said to be the most difficult.

Having spent 2 hours on this 'simple' task, my wife told me to share with the world just how the darn springh/clip goes on. So here I am.
Getting to the bulb is easy. Follow the manual for this. From this point on you are working blind - assuming your hands are not too big to even make a start.

When I got the part where the wires are to be removed I could easily get hold of the clip but my first thought was, do I pull really hard or is there a retainer that needs to be manipulated. The answer is - pull hard.

I am not really sure what sequence got the spring off the bulb. I think I pushed down and it released. I can tell you that down or up, it won't take long to get the desired result - clip/spring off, old bulb out - now the fun starts.

The manual's picture of the bulb and clip/spring assembly is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Trying to see into the headlight assembly's hole is all but impossible. So with no idea about what you need to do you will spend hours trying to feel your way. I did.

Eventually I found a picture on this forum that showed (upside down) the back of the bulb with the spring/clip hanging in the wrong place. I have used this to illustrate the correct arrangement. See attached photo.

A-B shows a slot that each open end of the spring/clip (1) should be inserted into. C shows the guide and slot that the spring/clip goes into.

The sequence that worked for me was...
1. Put bulb in place and make sure it is seated correctly. The tab goes down. (If I had been able to find some superglue I would have put a tiny, tiny dot on the bulb case because it does not want to stay seated when you take your hand of it. Maybe a tiny piece of double sided tape would be safer!). The point is; be aware that bulb may come unseated.

2. Working blind (you have no choice) insert clip/spring ends (1) into A-B slots on each side on the bulb holder. You should be able to get the spring to stay in place perpedicular to its final position. In other words, sticking out at you.

3. Remove your hand from the hole carefully and then use a mirror of manipulate your head to look and make sure the clip/spring is in the A-B slot. I was initally trying to make the clip/spring was closer to B. I think this was a mistake. I found that squashing the ends (1) towards each other made the clip/spring seat at A better.

4. If the clip spring is seated as described, carefully use your hand to lift and rotate the spring/clip (keeping some upward force) until the clip/spring hits the retaining notches (C) at about position 2.

5. Push the clip home. You may find that you will need to push the clip/spring down so the ends (1) are as-shown in my illustration. I think this ensures that the spring is doing its job. If the ends (1) are closer to B the bulb may fall out.

6. Reassembly after this is very easy.

Finally realizing what needed to be done was a big help to me. I'd say it took 3 or 4 attempts to make it the clip/spring and bulb seat properly. One of the biggest problems is keeping the bulb seated as you manipulate the clip.

A favor. Please don't lambast me about super glue. There is no need to debate it. I was so frustrated I would have done it had it beed to-hand. A clever way of keeping the bulb seated can be your own problem to solve.

Good luck. I hope you can accomplish this 'simple task' without scratched and swollen hands.

Just replaced both low beams on our 2011 GLK... Completed both in about 40 minutes...would not have been possible without your post!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Replacement headlights--Xenons

Originally Posted by NCBob
I had fun this weekend, too. Replaced the halogens with HIDs purchased from Philips. Also bought the additional harness with relays and resistors that hook up to the battery. Wiring that was the easy part. The bit*h was placing the bulb correctly, holding it in place while pushing down on the spring tab, and then stuffing the additional wiring into the light compartment and trying to close it up with the end-cap. Gaining access was no picnic either. Scarred up hands prove that. The GLK is done. Now comes the wife's C300. Hopefully it will be easier this time. Oh yeah, do not drop a screw or piece from the lights. They go into a black hole in the engine compartment never to be found again.
What was price of Philips xenon kit? Where did you buy?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 AM

glk350
These posts have been EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you all. I used the advice to change my glk 350 low beams. Firts i followed the manual. Pushed down on the clip and it went in the black hole. Then used the magnet to get it back. Then used the phone cam to see what i was doing and attached fishing line to ensure the clip did not go back into the black hole.. Never would have figured out the clip without your posts! Thank you. For those preparing to change their glk 350 low beams. DO NOT PUSH DOWN ON THE CLIP. Pull it up 1/4 to half inch until the bulb freely comes out. Leave thewire connected as a handle. Driver side took five minutes without removing anything....just push up on the clip. Remove the bulb and wire. Change bulb. Put back in place (flat part of bulb base goes down). Then slide clip back down only a quarter inch or so until it locks the bulb in place again. Very simple if you follow this EXACTLY and nothing else. Thanks again for the posts and i look forward to your help on other issues in the future!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:20 PM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Low Beam Bulb

Did you upgrade to a brighter bulb. Is so what?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
I am doing ours today, upgrading to the Osram rally bulb, 65 watt. Should not cause any issues with the wiring.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:39 AM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Osram bulbs

Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
I am doing ours today, upgrading to the Osram rally bulb, 65 watt. Should not cause any issues with the wiring.
Pls advise results of new Osram bulbs. Any wattage problems? Where did you buy? Price? Thx.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Bulbs purchased from Candlepower Inc. Research shows no problems with wattage & heat issues. Whole lot of good info out there on this topic. Took a hard look at the passenger side & wimped out. Think I will go with the fender liner removal to access. As I have aged, the trick is to figure out which battles are worth fighting & pulling the inner wheel well looks like the way to go for me. Another point on aging is you do not like mirrors!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:12 PM

2011 Mercedes GLK & Merkur XR4Ti
Hmmm lol.
OK.
I went a slightly different tack for replacing the two low beam bulbs.
I read through and large hand size and lack of patience had me figuring out a different route.

I removed the front wheels and took out the front half of the plastic arch liner. Access is awesome then.
Just takes a little time.
There are about 4 push clips that you have to pull the center out of, 3/4 plastic nuts & one metal nut under the front valance.

Passenger side.

GLK Low Beam Headlight Replacement - and the dreaded spring/clip-472aa1ee-4f8d-47c9-acdf-5d273b74fa10-4875-000005b9ebfcbdcd_zps71c617c6.jpg

GLK Low Beam Headlight Replacement - and the dreaded spring/clip-b61c1f8d-3d22-441f-b997-92fea750a4d1-4875-000005b9f1f05d67_zps2dfc817d.jpg

GLK Low Beam Headlight Replacement - and the dreaded spring/clip-e3ad6f41-8b72-410f-9554-fbe7ecc81da3-4875-000005b9f72fe240_zps688d9417.jpg

And drivers side.

GLK Low Beam Headlight Replacement - and the dreaded spring/clip-6d25a9e5-7b7f-4a78-a196-99e517f3f437-4875-000005ba035287e5_zpsc0f54d6d.jpg

GLK Low Beam Headlight Replacement - and the dreaded spring/clip-a8588c09-eff7-46d0-9936-9b5e3f5739bc-4875-000005ba083b65ff_zps6ca8b6d3.jpg
Old 01-15-2014, 05:18 PM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
Easy way is to just do it through the fender, no fuss. You don't even have to remove the wheel.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by pnoyworx
Easy way is to just do it through the fender, no fuss. You don't even have to remove the wheel.
How do you mean "through the fender"?
From the top?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 PM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
Sorry what I meant was the fender lining. Turn your wheel to the side that gives you the best opening, remove the fender linings. This is the way I did mine and took me about 15mins each side to install HID kits.

Originally Posted by nathankershaw
How do you mean "through the fender"?
From the top?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 PM

Ahh yeah.
I started to do it with the wheel on but I like a bit of room.
I wanted to get my head in there to see what was going on.
I'd already dropped a bulb down into the belly of the lamp. lol.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 PM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
Yep your way works too, just stating for those that don't want to have to jack up the car, and remove a wheel....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: GLK Low Beam Headlight Replacement - and the dreaded spring/clip