GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Becker Map Pilot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Becker Map Pilot

For those contemplating ordering or buying a 2013 GLK, this might be of interest. Many of the inventory units I looked at had an option of pre-wiring for this navigation unit. The wiring is a $200 option.

At delivery, I purchased the module. It sells for a list price of $600 and is approximately 3"x3"x1". It comes with a USB cord to plug into your computer for updates and will accept an SD card for added information. After you update the unit to assure fresh information, it plugs into a bracket mounted to one side of your glove box.

Once installed, the maps are displayed on the center stack screen and driving information can be displayed on your speedo screen. It is completely integrated with the car controls including the NAVI button and offers voice activation using the steering wheel control.

I have had the opportunity to use it on a very limited basis and I am very impressed with it. I see little difference in utility with the Navigation system in my 2012 E350. Although a little pricey compared to aftermarket units, it does offer the integration into the car systems. Theoretically, it is easier to update and can be used in future Mercedes vehicles you may purchase going forward. It is certainly less expensive than the $2790 Multimedia package required to have Navigation from the factory.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 350
Question Becker Map Pilot

Hello, Thanks for the post, it is very good to know. My Becker Map pilot is on the way. I have a 2014 GLK 350 with the pre-wiring and the receiver in the glove compartment.
I was wondering what the initial set-up steps are once you take it out of the box, before you put it in the car? Just follow instructions, is there anything I should know before hand? For example:
- Can I plug into either a Mac or PC?
- Do I need to update the maps right away?
- Do I need to set up a code? (pin # or password?)
- Should I register?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GLK250, 1983 Caterham super 7
Originally Posted by Maher1
Hello, Thanks for the post, it is very good to know. My Becker Map pilot is on the way. I have a 2014 GLK 350 with the pre-wiring and the receiver in the glove compartment.
I was wondering what the initial set-up steps are once you take it out of the box, before you put it in the car? Just follow instructions, is there anything I should know before hand? For example:
- Should I register?

Thanks
The internet is your friend.
https://www.beckermappilot.com/shop/...xml&b=FAQ#a2e1
Old 08-27-2015, 03:39 PM

2014 GLK 350
Yes thanks for pointing that out! Been there. Sometimes I like conversing with real people about their experience, they can offer some helpful hints that you can't get just reading stuff on the web. It's also because I heard some different accounts from different people that were not offered on the Becker website, For example buying a used Becker Map pilot, or buying a new sealed one that was made in 2013, etc.
thanks!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GLK250, 1983 Caterham super 7
No problem at all & I understand completely.

But perhaps stating that you got no satisfaction from the Becker site might have been good info.

I will most likely spring for a Becker soon. As my Garmin is constantly pissing me off. It will nearly always (regardless of the settings) try to route me through a town as opposed to going around it. This happened several time this week while traveling on Vancouver Island, BC and while going south towards Seattle. Bloody thing kept wanting me to get onto I-90 East in downtown rather than at Snohomish & I was already on the side roads near the north cascades highway.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:06 PM

2014 GLK 350
Well, I don't want to say I got "no satisfaction", it was very helpful, I'm just one of those people who likes to know everything in advance! LOL!
In any case, Just got a Becker, Haven't installed yet so I don't know how good it is. but just to let you know, you don't need to spring the $600 for it, Check ebay! I just got new in box "Sealed" for a 1/3 of that price! but I had to beat 42 other bids to get it!
Used ones are trending at about $100 or a little more! But if you can get a new one on ebay is better because you still get the free update to the latest maps!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Please note - if i remember - the Becker has a 1yr warranty - and is NOT covered by Mercedes 4yr/50K mile New Car Warranty.

The reason I mention this - if you buy from internet seller - I STRONGLY recommend you buy a SquareTrade or other applicable electronics warranty.

The reason I mention this - the Becker has a internal lithium battery - like a cell phone battery - and I have seen that battery poop out - which renders the unit unusable - and if that happens after 1yr warranty - you can be kindof screwed...
Old 08-27-2015, 06:33 PM

2014 GLK 350
LOL! thanks, see what I mean? they don't provide this type of information on the Becker site!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
If you are looking to buy/add Becker after delivery - important to shop/buy a internet warranty like SquareTrade - I have run into "dead" internal lithiums in the Map Pilot twice already on rigs over 1yr old - and Becker does not offer replacement battery - and there is no generic cross-reference either... one of those $45 warranties as a electronics unit can pay off fown the road...

Keep the beat !
Old 08-28-2015, 04:50 PM

2014 GLK 350
According to Becker, the battery can be replaced.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Sure - the battery pulls out - but what about the replacement ? Sorry - they don't have it..
Old 08-31-2015, 10:49 AM

2014 GLK 350
OH I see, where you trying to find a battery and couldn't find one? so what did you end up doing?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Bad unit/dead battery on trade-in - unit over 1yr in service - beyond Becker warranty - Becker confirmed at that time they did not have replacement battery avai - and reconfirmed MB confirmed MapPilot NOT covered by MB new car or CPO warranty - threw it away.

it was brutal truth time...
Old 09-01-2015, 02:06 PM

2014 GLK 350
Sorry to hear!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 C250
- Should I register?

Thanks
Not a Mac user here but you need to install the latest version of Content Manager to your PC or laptop. Google search Content manager if in doubt! Then connect the BMP to PC via the supplied crappy USB cable.
Bring up Content Manager and Register. If for any reasons your pc failed to recognize the BMP module then suggest you use a different USB cable with noise canceler such as those with cell phone charger or xbox/PS3.

If you purchased a NIB BMP then you have 60 days (from the day you registered online via CM) to get the latest map, software and firmware at no cost.

A used BMP will set you back $99.95 to get the latest map (EU Map Version: 2015/V10.0 or NA Map Package 2015/2016 V5.0). Software and Firmware upgrade remains free via CM.

Do not forget to backup data via CM before plugging in the device to your car.

I own both European (built 2014) and US version (built 2012) and I have yet to see the battery failure you guys are talking about. My EU version type M054 is loaded with both EU and US map plus language package while the US version type M014 is limited to NA map only.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:40 PM

2014 GLK 350
Thanks this is very helpful.
Here's what I know so far. Purchased a NIB BMP but not from a dealer. Instead of $600+,
I found one for less than $200. However, when I tried it on the PC, the Becker Content Manager, worked through the first task and stopped before it finishes the second task!
When I tried to do it again, it would not find the unit, kept saying please make sure unit is connected through USB to the PC and it was! then I tried in the car, the screen comes up, but keeps saying Initializing navigation module, please wait, and nothing ever happens, just keeps saying that over and over....
Then when I checked the back of the box, the date was 3/13 and said to best use before 3/2014. So this was a sealed in box unit, but not really new as in 2015/16.
I contacted the seller and he said will send replacement. hopefully the replacement will be new which is why I bought that one so that I may get the latest update without having to pay $100. Oh well, sometimes it's better to just to dish out the $600 and save yourself all the headache!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Having to deal with electronic issues on german cars is a pain. Especially BMWs and Audis. Also adding features and accessories is very costly. I have learned to just suck it up and pay for the features I want and try to negotiate the final walk away price. I have no experience using Becker map. I hope the same problem my wife's GLK doesn't happen to your Becker system.
I will probably get an iPad mini and mount it on my wife's GLK in the future; have it paired with her phone unless she is willing to get a bigger phone and have her run any third party navi app.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Battery was dead in the unit... glad the seller was willing to replace... I have thrown 3 away over the past year or so from customer trade in's...
Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 PM

2013 C250
Thanks this is very helpful.
Here's what I know so far. Purchased a NIB BMP but not from a dealer. Instead of $600+,
I found one for less than $200. However, when I tried it on the PC, the Becker Content Manager, worked through the first task and stopped before it finishes the second task!
When I tried to do it again, it would not find the unit, kept saying please make sure unit is connected through USB to the PC and it was! then I tried in the car, the screen comes up, but keeps saying Initializing navigation module, please wait, and nothing ever happens, just keeps saying that over and over....
Then when I checked the back of the box, the date was 3/13 and said to best use before 3/2014. So this was a sealed in box unit, but not really new as in 2015/16.
I contacted the seller and he said will send replacement. hopefully the replacement will be new which is why I bought that one so that I may get the latest update without having to pay $100. Oh well, sometimes it's better to just to dish out the $600 and save yourself all the headache!
Didn't I warn you about the crappy USB cable that came with the unit? Did you make an attempt to use different USB cable?

Again, the supplied USB cable if used will intermittently drop the communication with PC, period! You're good if CM is just extracting/backing up data. But you'll most likely to brick the module if the comms is interrupted while in writing mode. Data Recovery can bring the device back to life, provided you made a backup copy.

I have two different types of BMP (off eBay) and I occasionally tinkered with them on 4 PC's with no problem.

As you may already knew, BMP is not a perishable item. I for one could careless about the built date. They all function the same provided you have the correct version built for your region.

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Battery was dead in the unit... glad the seller was willing to replace... I have thrown 3 away over the past year or so from customer trade in's...
Wait...not too fast my friend! System will not get pass the initialization process if data is corrupted. Even then, you'll most likely to get "internal battery missing or defective" message if the batt is dead.

Please PM me if you have more to dispose. I'll be more than happy to compensate you.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:54 PM

2014 GLK 350
Yes you did, yes you did :-) warn me about the crappy USB!! and believe me I was gonna try a new one, I just hadn't had the time to buy a new, will do so this weekend, thanks!

I don't know about the battery issue. what I know is that while the battery can come out, no one seems to have replacement. Which is what fabbrisd1 said!
I also heard that there are 2 versions an American and a European, I assume the European one wouldn't work here in the U.S. would it?
Old 09-04-2015, 06:38 PM

2013 C250
@Maher1...where are you in CA? I don't have a GLK, but my searched for "Becker Map Pilot" brought me here. So I thought I would share my experience. Likewise, there's a handful of BMP discussion over in C-Class, W204 section to ref.

Anyway, I would like to assume you have a spare USB cable laying around at home. It is the same regular USB cable used by some external USB devices like portable HDD or GPS, game console and some old gen cell phones.

As mentioned in post# 15 above, I have both European (by mistake) and US version. My EU version (M054) can load and function properly with either EU or US map (hence my vote). While the US version (M014) is limited to US map only. But since you're in NA, I strongly suggest for you to buy the US version only, hands down.

The screenshot post# 15 above is from my EU version (M054). Obviously, you can see I have the option to switch between EU or US map, if needed.

Last edited by C0d3Sp4c3; 09-04-2015 at 06:42 PM.