GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Parking Assist Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK220 4Matic BlueEfficiency
Parking Assist Problem

I've had issues with PA before and now again after a car wash, another issue. Now it won't work at all. When I come to a stop, 2 red lights on either side come on along with a long beep. It then automatically shuts itself off. When I turn it on again, same thing, and then turns itself off.

It looks like it's a common issue but really no reason behind it nor a solution other than getting MB to fix it. Ugh, just went in for service after waiting a week to book an appointment early in the morning before work.

It seems like every time this issue happens is after a car wash. I'm hoping that it will suddenly start working again after the car dries up a bit but I'm not counting on it.

Anyone have this experience? I need my parking assist!

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 4matic, 2013 GLK350 4matic, 2012 C200, 2006 C350 4matic(sold)
Originally Posted by bha1980
I've had issues with PA before and now again after a car wash, another issue. Now it won't work at all. When I come to a stop, 2 red lights on either side come on along with a long beep. It then automatically shuts itself off. When I turn it on again, same thing, and then turns itself off.

It looks like it's a common issue but really no reason behind it nor a solution other than getting MB to fix it. Ugh, just went in for service after waiting a week to book an appointment early in the morning before work.

It seems like every time this issue happens is after a car wash. I'm hoping that it will suddenly start working again after the car dries up a bit but I'm not counting on it.

Thanks.
What is the outside temperature like?

These parking sensors don't work when they freeze up..
My suggestion would be to turn them off when you're going through the car wash, and once you get out of the car wash, dry them as soon as possible

I dont think there is anything mercedes can do to fix this
Old 02-16-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 GLK 220 cdi
I have exactly the same problem..have you fixed this? What was wrong?
Old 02-16-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by Marek_Norway
I have exactly the same problem..have you fixed this? What was wrong?
Mine also have problems sometimes when they get wet. Each one is a sensitive speaker/microphone combination (transmitter and receiver together) operating at a high frequency. If they have some water or dirt etc. on them it can change the characteristics. I think you can even cause problems if the vehicle is re-painted and the paint on the sensors is then too thick after painting.

Next time you have the problem you could try gently drying (or gently cleaning, if necessary) using a tissue/Kleenex/Tempo on all the sensors. See if that makes a difference.

Last edited by MBKLUE; 02-16-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 350 2013
The warning tone and lights mean the sensors aren't working properly. I've never had the problem with washing or water. ... Snow and Ice and gunk ... often.

Again, what's the temperature there? If a thin film of ice forms on the sensors, they will often go offline.

Or,... maybe the wiring is getting water in them and shorting/mucking up.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
I've had it happen probably half a dozen times. It was cold-ish but not near freezing.

Originally Posted by fcch
The warning tone and lights mean the sensors aren't working properly. I've never had the problem with washing or water. ... Snow and Ice and gunk ... often.

Again, what's the temperature there? If a thin film of ice forms on the sensors, they will often go offline.

Or,... maybe the wiring is getting water in them and shorting/mucking up.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 350 2013
The sensors seem to be pretty sensitive. This morning I ran the GLK through a carwash ... it was just too caked with salt and muck.

Came out, ... clean bumper, but the thin film of water instantly froze and the PA system beeped (double red front and back).

I guess its not a defect, ... just really sensitive sensors. Happens too as soon as the smallest amount of snow or freezing rain sticks to the sensors. I keep a spray bottle of -40 washer fluid in the trunk and clean off the sensors sometimes, when I remember to do it.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
It's very normal - the sensors can be affected by even small amounts of moisture. What you don't want is that moisture getting into the back side of the sensor and shorting them out - then it has to be replaced - which is something we've already had done once so far in a year of ownership.

You'll know if they actually fail. The blind spot monitor function will throw an error message in your display, and they'll stay yellow at all speeds.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:06 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by bha1980

Thanks.

I heard that spraying WD40 on/in them
will get rid of the water sitting in or around them since that’s usually the issue. Mine did this at the car wash and has done so ever since. I’m gonna try the WD in the morning and see what happens.