GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK250BT: NO Spare Tire; Only Run-Flats!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought one yesterday and got 10% sticker, Prem 1, multimedia, heated seats, lane tracking, and appearance package. $44k. And they threw in two MB hats and a travel cup. lol.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slk
Congrats, post some pictures. Where did you buy from? That's a very good deal.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Will be a week or two before I can. Heading off on business trip for a week.

Bought in Indianapolis, usually a terrible place to buy a car, new or used. dealer had a terrible month in April and wanted to move merchandise.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:19 PM

2013 GLK 250 BlueTec 4 Matic
Newbi

Picked up my 2013 GLK250 Blutec a week ago and put 1750 miles on over the past week. The dealer told me I had the first one to be delivered in the DC metro area which would explain why the salesman did not know the vehicle had run flat tires. As you would expect, the night I brought home the vehicle I went over it throughly with owner's manual in hand. It was obvious the tires were run flat, one simply has to read the sidewall. I returned to the dealer the next day and told them it would have been nice if I was told about the tires. I would have made the purchase anyway. It was somewhat amusing when I received a blank stare from the salesman I purchased the vehicle from and from the other salesmen in the showroom at the time. They looked in the rear compartment, under the vehicle and finally when I pointed our the writing of the sidewall did they accept the fact that the tires were run flat type. You would think a MB salesman would be more familiar with the vehicles they sell. By the way, the window sticker refers to the tires as "mobility extended tires".
Old 05-18-2013, 06:26 PM

slk
Congratulations. Which dealer is that?
Did you get any deals?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 AM

The dealer is Mercedes Benz of Alexandria. I got the USAA deal which is $500 over dealer's invoice plus a $2,000 credit. Financing throught BB&T is at an interest rate of 2.02%. They also gave me a reasonable trade-in on my 2006 E320 which had 225,000 miles on it.

The dealer also told me the engine does not have glow plugs? Can you believe it? Has there ever been a diesel engine made recently without glow plugs? They must not sell many diesels at that dealership. Would you know where I can get some additional information on the engine, and where oil rated 229.51 is available in quantity?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM

GLK250 BT
They do have glow plugs. When you turn on your key you will see a little symbol that looks like a spring or a piggy tail in your instrument panel. This is the symbol for the glow plugs. However you don't have to worry about waiting for them to warm up, you turn the key to the start postition and release it - the engine will start when the glow plugs turn off, regardless of how long it takes. Kinda cool.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM

slk
Since you bought the car you obviously will have the owners manual. But if you are looking for a soft copy which I find useful to search things, you can find the it here.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals

And this interactive manual is also cool

http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...en/flash8.html
Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 226 Likes on 139 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
I have a GLK250 as well and find the run flats to be very quiet on the highway and a very nice ride. I also wonder if they protected one of my rims when I hit a nasty pot hole at 70 MPH. I thought for sure the rim would be bent but it wasn't. I also share the uncertainty of having run flats with no backup, especially as I like to drive to remote areas. I've thought about getting a standard rim and tire and just throwing it in the back. I never need that much storage space, but I haven't decided what I want to do about it.

Has anybody had experience with run flat snow tires?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 198 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by 300SE1993
I have a GLK250 as well and find the run flats to be very quiet on the highway and a very nice ride. I also wonder if they protected one of my rims when I hit a nasty pot hole at 70 MPH. I thought for sure the rim would be bent but it wasn't.
Actually, runflats don't usually protect wheels ... just the opposite in fact. The sidewalls are so rigid more of the impact force is transferred to the wheel. Lots of BMW owners purchase wheel insurance for this reason (or wish they had). Needless to say, BMW dealerships make a small fortune in wheel repairs. If the tire does absorb the impact, the result is often a bulge in the tire's sidewall. There is no fix for a bulging sidewall and the tire must be replaced.

I am happy to hear you're satisfied with the ride quality. When/if I test drive a Bluetec, I'll be sure to drive a 350 with the same size wheels for comparison purposes. I have yet to experience a runflat that rides as well as a conventional tire.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 PM

I wasn't aware that the engine will not start until the glow plugs heated up. On my previous diesel engine cars I got in the habit of waiting until the light went out before turning the key to the start position. The GLK 250 has a plug that goes in the key hole and, when the key fob is in close proximity, may be used as a pushbutton starter. The plugs heat so quickley that you do not see the symbol on the dashboard.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
This was a interesting comment - "The sidewalls are so rigid more of the impact force is transferred to the wheel. Lots of BMW owners purchase wheel insurance for this reason (or wish they had). Needless to say, BMW dealerships make a small fortune in wheel repairs."

1) I have never seen, or have knowledge of, a Mercedes rim damaged by Run Flat tires in either Mercedes W164 and X164 BlueTech's - the only bent wheels I have seen have been accident related - not tire related - ever..

2) The GLK250 is the ONLY Mercedes BlueTech's with RunFlat's - the W166 and X166 had space to move the AdBlue/DEF tank to the side panel allowing inclusion of a mini-spare

3) The GLK250 has "exclusive" wheel design - maybe another "hint"

I am postively no bashing BMW - whatever reason - especially preference for lower profile tires in a great # of models - I would agree there are more BMW wheel problems than MB..
Old 05-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
This may be crazy, but is there a rear tire holder option for GLK? could it work for GLK?

also
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...e-carrier.html

the ML has this option only in Europe.
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...e-carrier.html
Old 05-22-2013, 08:06 AM

GLK250 BT
Originally Posted by prueckerva2000
I wasn't aware that the engine will not start until the glow plugs heated up. On my previous diesel engine cars I got in the habit of waiting until the light went out before turning the key to the start position. The GLK 250 has a plug that goes in the key hole and, when the key fob is in close proximity, may be used as a pushbutton starter. The plugs heat so quickley that you do not see the symbol on the dashboard.
I have seen the symbol but it has not been cold enough to verify the delayed start. The salesman (who is very knowledgeable - the service guys go to him for advice) specifically said it does not work like other glow plug diesel cars - i.e. no wait required.

Last edited by Gt. Dane; 05-22-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 PM

'09 BMW e92 N54 (x)
Thoughts on Run-Flats...

We have a 2013 GLK 350 with appearance package wheels that came to us a few weeks ago (for the second time, we already spent 2000 miles on it during ED previously).

I have an '09 BMW 335 coupe with 17 in wheels and Continental A/S RFT's (symmetric, as it's an AWD). The ride is pretty awful. Kidney-rattling awful when you're on crappy roads. Handling is decent, but not like regular tires.

3 days ago, I got new tires on my BMW. Still RFT's, but newer (3rd gen RFT's, Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS RFT). This 3rd gen tire is significantly improved from the original Conti's I had on previously. While it still feels stiffer, control is better with more precise cornering. The bumps are still there, but they've been softened, like you took a hard edge put velvet over it. It's also noticeably quieter.

Depending on what RFT's you put on the 250, it might not be absolutely horrible. Our 350 feels smoother and glides better than my 335, but the difference isn't as huge (albeit it's 17's on the coupe).

The caveat is, of course, that I'm not sure how the stock RFT's are, and there's likely not as much selection in that tire size. When looking for tires for my in-laws' X5, it turned out there was only one A/S RFT available. I had several to choose from for my 335 and could pick out the best.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
GLK250 MO Extended Tires

Originally Posted by Alex Bel
I went today to the local dealership in Michigan and took a few pictures from the two new GLK250 they just received over weekend. Both have Dunlop 235/50R19 GrandTreck Touring A/S MO Extended Tires (Made in Germany with label RunOnFlat Technology). The sticker says 19-Inch Wheels, All-Season Tires, Mobility Extended Tires. I've scheduled for tomorrow a test drive and will take a look inside.
Sorry to bring up this topic again, but just got email back from the TireRack for my question about these Dunlop 235/50R19 GrandTreck Touring A/S MO Extended Tires installed on 2013 GLK250BT:

"...I just heard back from our Dunlop rep that the tire you are looking for isn't available here in the United States and they aren't able to import them to the US to supply them for your needs unfortunately. I would check with your Mercedes dealership to see if they can somehow source some of those for your GLK250 BlueTec or not. I'm not sure why they're putting these on this vehicle for US sales when the tires aren't available for after market replacement in this country. We can only get the non run-flat version of that tire for your vehicle and it's not safe to mix those with the RFT MO Extended tires. Please let me know if you have any questions. Tire Rack team..."

So my concern is what to do when the time comes to update tires???
Old 07-02-2013, 01:50 PM

2010 911 Turbo Cabriolet, 2014 Mazda3
Originally Posted by Alex Bel
Sorry to bring up this topic again, but just got email back from the TireRack for my question about these Dunlop 235/50R19 GrandTreck Touring A/S MO Extended Tires installed on 2013 GLK250BT:

"...I just heard back from our Dunlop rep that the tire you are looking for isn't available here in the United States and they aren't able to import them to the US to supply them for your needs unfortunately. I would check with your Mercedes dealership to see if they can somehow source some of those for your GLK250 BlueTec or not. I'm not sure why they're putting these on this vehicle for US sales when the tires aren't available for after market replacement in this country. We can only get the non run-flat version of that tire for your vehicle and it's not safe to mix those with the RFT MO Extended tires. Please let me know if you have any questions. Tire Rack team..."

So my concern is what to do when the time comes to update tires???
All four tires will need to be replaced at once to non-RFT's I guess.....definitely makes me have second thoughts on keeping the vehicle at the end of the 2-yr lease.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
When time comes to replace you just replace them all. If you rotate tires as you should they generally all wear out together. Mine all have.

Or, in case you need a replacement tire, another brand will do if the same size. Your only problem, if any, will be on non-driven wheels, and then only if the rubber compounding in the tires is significantly different. On the driven wheels it won't really matter.

My dealer has offered to exchange the tires for regular ones when the car gets here. It's now enroute from Germany. I had no objections to ride or handling of the RF's. At least with them you have a chance to get yourself to the next town should you flatten a tire in the wide open spaces of the West where I travel. With regular tires I'd be required to get a spare for any emergency and that might be a pain. Or travel without that backup. As a road warrior in my working days I'd say I've put about a million miles on cars both in my working days and travel since retirement. I don't recall even one time changing a tire on the road, even with the less developed tire technology of the 1950's and later. I've pretty well decided already to keep the RF's and be done with that issue.

And what says you have to put the same brand tire for any replacement? I'd be surprised if Mercedes built their cars based on any one tire brand. I've had cars from them with Michelins, Continentals, and Dunlops. What's the difference? Replace with RF's of a different brand when the time comes. A non issue to me.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Well, I've contacted local Mercedes dealership and they checked their warehouses - they have these Dunlop MO Extended Tires somewhere in Chicago. Today's regular price is $380 for a tire. At least they have them...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 AM

GLK 250, BMW 335d
Smile Canadian BlueTEC Tires

We just picked up our new GLK 250 vehicle on 4 Jul 13. This one does not have Run Flats or Extended Mobility Tires as far as I can determine. They are Continental Contact 4X4 All Season with no where on the side of the tire is it written about Run Flat. I also went to Tire Rack and this tire does not specify it being other than a normal rated H I think All Season. I do have a Mercedes supplied bottle of gunk behind the vertical panel on the left side of the trunk and a compressor in the tool tray along with a jack. So I suppose I am pleased that these are not RF or ME tires. I have the run flats on my 335d and have the same for my winter tires (Bridgestone) and they seem to run softer at same inflation levels.
Cheers
Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM

SLK 350 2013
Cinqc, ... same thing here in Québec.

Picked up mine friday as well. Same tires, jack, gunk and compressor.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 198 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 GLE450
Is it now safe to conclude that US GLK250's will have runflats, but Canadian models will have the kit? Does anybody have evidence to the contrary?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Dunlop Run Flats

For those that have these on their GLK250BT, what is the tread wear rating on the sidewall of these tires?

While the RFs may be hard to source and expensive, I'd like to get an idea of how long they might last before replacements would be necessary.

(I know this value is relative to the primary driver, but it would give me a basis to estimate the replacement time/mileage.)

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by Cinqc
We just picked up our new GLK 250 vehicle on 4 Jul 13. This one does not have Run Flats or Extended Mobility Tires as far as I can determine. They are Continental Contact 4X4 All Season with no where on the side of the tire is it written about Run Flat. I also went to Tire Rack and this tire does not specify it being other than a normal rated H I think All Season. I do have a Mercedes supplied bottle of gunk behind the vertical panel on the left side of the trunk and a compressor in the tool tray along with a jack. So I suppose I am pleased that these are not RF or ME tires. I have the run flats on my 335d and have the same for my winter tires (Bridgestone) and they seem to run softer at same inflation levels.
Cheers
You're not saying that a RF has a better ride than an All Season are you???
Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 PM

04 330i ZHP, 13 GLK250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Is it now safe to conclude that US GLK250's will have runflats, but Canadian models will have the kit? Does anybody have evidence to the contrary?
I picked up a GLK250 in Vancouver, BC 3 weeks ago. The 20 inch tires that comes with the AMG package (yes, we canucks here still get the 20 inch) have the regular non-runflats Pirelli Scorpion Zero, and also included is the fix-a-flat kit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: GLK250BT: NO Spare Tire; Only Run-Flats!