GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK250BT: NO Spare Tire; Only Run-Flats!

Old 10-20-2014, 12:22 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Toppthat
How far can you drive on it without screwing up the 4 drive and various sensors
I don't know for sure, but:
- MB supplies the Vredstein collapsible spare as standard equipment on other vehicles including the GLK350.
- Unlike some 4WDs, apparently MB AWD can cope with mismatched tires.
- The Vredstein inflates to about same diameter as the standard tires.

For a full size spare, I think it would be possible to make a hitch mounted carrier. I have thought about adding a mounting plate to vertical tube of our bike rack, so spare wheel would be between tube and tailgate. But behind driver's seat works for us when we are fully packed.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 glk250
Hi everyone. My wife who went on vacation alone,called me from chips auto in Moab. They removed a 3/8" socket extension from the L.F tire. Even with the fix a flat she put in, they were able to patch and plug it. They charged her $14 and said the tpms probably wouldn't work. And on top of that the rental place didn't charge her for the time she used the equinox today. I guess I owe Moab an apology. But still it's a lesson learned.Looking for a rim and holding off finishing my tire rack order, for now. Thanks everybody for all your help. When she gets back I will post her tire pics.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 PM

GLK250 2014
Pleased hear things worked out. Moab has lived up to their website claim:

"Moab will surround you with the warmth and hospitality of a small resort town at the center of the most stunning red rock landscapes on Earth."
Old 10-21-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Working out problems from the Moab

Originally Posted by Toppthat
Hi everyone. My wife who went on vacation alone,called me from chips auto in Moab. They removed a 3/8" socket extension from the L.F tire. Even with the fix a flat she put in, they were able to patch and plug it. They charged her $14 and said the tpms probably wouldn't work. And on top of that the rental place didn't charge her for the time she used the equinox today. I guess I owe Moab an apology. But still it's a lesson learned.Looking for a rim and holding off finishing my tire rack order, for now. Thanks everybody for all your help. When she gets back I will post her tire pics.
I suppose when problems occur ,we work out a solution.
To get home safely & having the time to sort options instead of being at the mercy of limited options on the Moab.
Safe return of a Family member is a large positive.
Tire Rack (info partner ) is a good source for tires & further info of specification that are important to the buyer.Price is a factor with run flat tires ,(since there is an added expense for MO,PAX, run-flat tires.)
As mentioned ,every month there seems to be further selection of tire choices.
In the future,a plan probably will be looked into before travel plans.
Many good ideas about solutions is a positive.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
If I had a GLK250, I would purchase something like this from a standard GLK. Mount the spare upright on the driver's side utilising the hold down hooks available & install the tool kit under the floor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPACT-SPARE-W-COMPLETE-JACK-TOOL-KIT-17x6-MERCEDES-GLK350-10-11-12-13-/321546531392?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item4addaab240&vxp=mtr
Old 10-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 BT
Wabbit - the GLK 250 already has the complete tool kit, minus only the lug bolts.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
That is interesting but does your vehicle have run flats? The tool kit includes the inflator for the spare tyre, which is not included in USA market GLK250. Canadian market have different tyres, eh? Or am I missing more than is customary?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:10 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
That is interesting but does your vehicle have run flats? The tool kit includes the inflator for the spare tyre, which is not included in USA market GLK250. Canadian market have different tyres, eh? Or am I missing more than is customary?
Canadian GLK250s have AW tires and the full toolkit including pump and sealant. The space under the cargo area has a space designed to hold the toolkit. No cell phone provided to call Roadside Assistance

I imagine many US GLK250s will in time have AW tires (as they already do if they install snow tires) A pump, some sealant and a compact spare may also be needed.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 PM

GLK250 BT
Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
Good point. I should have said the Canadian model has the full tool kit.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
I may have received a Canadian model by mistake as mine came with regular tires. It was supposedly a US model and shown as such at MBUSA. The manufacturing sheet indicated I had run flats as does the one MBUSA have, and it wasn't until a discussion here that I checked and found regular tires. But, mine had a tool kit and compressor. I ordered mine from the factory and changed the sun roof when a window appeared for factory orders that I could order without at sun roof, just like Canadians can. I did.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:04 PM

SLK 350 2013
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bob338
I may have received a Canadian model by mistake as mine came with... mine had a tool kit and compressor. ...
Check behind the left rear tail light access panel and you should also have a can of Gunk tucked in there. It is screwed onto the compressor to re-inflate a tire and seal small punctures.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Yeah, it was there when I was introduced to the car at the factory. I was aware. Wouldn't use the stuff except in dire emergency. Thanks!

The only issue is I thought I had run flats. Had already made deal with the dealer to replace when the car got over here having heard all the complaints about ride quality and all. Put 3000 miles on it in Europe and I considered it acceptable and stayed with what I thought was run flats. Discovered it wasn't during a discussion here, and I screamed. MBUSA gave me a Vredestein space saver because of the error so I have the best of both worlds now. Unfortunately the space saver was defective when I had a tire problem in the middle of nowhere. Thread on that here as well. But all worked out fine and I'm happy!
Old 04-04-2015, 10:02 AM

GLK250
What my Tire Supplier told me

In my earlier posts , my concerns were with the run flat tires that were delivered with the MB GLK250BT.The Dunlop Grandtrek MOE run on flat .
I have had the GLK250BT for a year , & my trusted tire dealer continues to look out for me for a run flat tire of various makes that is reasonable price wise since 4 will be replaced.Basically I have no complaints about my Dunlop's but as the replacement is looming ,I will need to bit the bullet with their replacement. " Right now, live with it, rotate my tires & avoid the potholes everywhere from the NORTHEAST Weather....

RANTING
Mercedes Benz decision to outfit the GLK250BT with a tire with a shorter life..
is Mercedes Benz Logic ..." if you own a Mercedes ,the owner has big pockets of cash"
As yet, to my knowledge ,an all seasons 235/50R19 is a size in limited production in a run flat .
My tire supplier is also my repair facility , they inspect & rotate my tires .
My experience with the MB Dealer has not been a positive one & I use factory trained mechanics other than the dealer.
If a recall occurs ,then the MB Dealer will be used...
I fill my own MB with the correct DEF from smaller bottles , the dealer charges the big bucks from the large drum measured out & charged $18 quarts.
If I had a shop , I could buy a large container of PEAK DEF (5 gallons) & save money but I don't have a shop set-up...
Old 04-04-2015, 10:34 AM

2001 ML430, 2014 GLK250
Try CraigsList

I live in Denver and just replaced the Dunlop run flats with Michelin X-ICE as the Dunlops have no traction at all on ice and snow. Planning to sell the Dunlops on CraigsList, was browsing to pick a price and and found that they sell with low miles quite reasonably. Plus, there were many available.

Now we might have so many available because they are so useless here and they are frequently replaced by folks who think it should be possible to drive an AWD SUV (well yeah, cute ute) in the snow. Silly us.

So instead of $316 each at Tire Rack for new, here you can get tires with a claimed 50+% of life for around $60-70. After factoring in wear, that is still about a 60% savings.

Or you might just give up on run flats and carry a couple of spare cans of your favorite "fix a flat". I also added the MB pump for $70 from the dealer. I'll probably buy the cans of MB sealant too should I decide to take a trip.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by HONDO250

RANTING
Mercedes Benz decision to outfit the GLK250BT with a tire with a shorter life..
is Mercedes Benz Logic ..." if you own a Mercedes ,the owner has big pockets of cash"
Not a fair criticism of Mercedes only. MANY cars now come with run flats from a large number of manufacturers both domestic and foreign.
Originally Posted by HONDO250
I fill my own MB with the correct DEF from smaller bottles , the dealer charges the big bucks from the large drum measured out & charged $18 quarts.
If I had a shop , I could buy a large container of PEAK DEF (5 gallons) & save money but I don't have a shop set-up...
NAPA has smaller containers, believe they are 2 liter. You don't need a shop to store one, or its leftovers, for later use. It runs $14.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:46 AM

2001 ML430, 2014 GLK250
Bob338 is right, they are becoming more and more common as manufacturers want to use the spare tire space for something that might be more useful such as the urea tank in a diesel. For the GLK250BT, the collapsible spare tire would fill most of the space in the tiny storage area behind the rear seat. When one considers that most cars (I've seen estimates as high as 90%) are never more than 20 miles from a tire dealer, for most people the run flat is practical.

However we take trips where we are often 300 miles from the nearest tire dealer not counting that we'd have to wait several days for the tire to get shipped. I'm sure our Canadian friends can significantly trump my number.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
I had a flat on the run flats on a Friday and it took until the following Monday for the dealer to get a replacement from a distributor.

Dealers should carry a small inventory of replacement tires for run flat equipped vehicles. But since they cost money dealers would rather just order them. My dealer did provide me with a loaner C class. I guess that was cheaper than a tire inventory.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:59 PM

I had a tire problem in Yellowstone very early one AM. Ruined a tire, among other problems, and had to drive from Cody, WY to Salt Lake City to find a tire.

My story is in an old thread here. If interested see post #37 in this old thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-2010-a-2.html

No fun driving 500 miles or so on an inflatable spare!!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:15 PM

GLK250
Strategies in the field -run flat tires

In my emergency tool kit ,I carry a tire plug kit, 12 volt air inflator .
The sensors will give me a read out of the particular tire effected status.
The tire dealer says the use of the canned tire seal on a run flat tire is not a good idea but he also said in the middle of nowhere , a driver does not wish to be stranded, the future may bring later surprises .
If at all possible ,it is good to salvage the tire , a small nail hole plugged can get the driver to repair shop that handles run flat tire repairs -that can remove the tire ,seal from the inside...make it safe.It is an acceptable way .
A side-wall puncture is a "no save" Running a run flat tire a extended distance is a "no save" hopefully a tire dealer is close to replace the tire.."Luck"
Any replacement of a run flat tire is expensive & the stranded motorist is prey
for the dishonest repair shop,tire dealer, or greedy Mercedes Dealer.
There is much advice out there & I have found situations of ethical fair deals on repairs.
In my research on the future purchase of a new set of tires for my MB GLK 250 , I have realized the wide variety of answers....this forum provides advice in experiences...stories
Solving problems on the road varies , if you have panic passenger experts & little time to think, at best decisions are "fuzzy logic".
I try to stay calm , get as far off the road,out of harms way ...look at the tire & solve the problem. ..if your lucky ,the problem can be solved. I have gotten flats in the past & I never wish for another flat...I have AAA but I still need a tire.
I try to avoid any tow, roll back , or what tow company sends out,personnel /tow vehicle...damage is another problem.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:06 PM

The thread linked above shows pictures of my tire damage. I had not only the Mercedes stop leak but a can of domestic. With a big 1"+ gash, not much you can do.

Stop leak makes it almost impossible to reliably repair the tire if it were repairable at all. All it will do is give you a few more miles of driving.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:52 PM

GLK250
Good Advice taken

Originally Posted by Bob338
The thread linked above shows pictures of my tire damage. I had not only the Mercedes stop leak but a can of domestic. With a big 1"+ gash, not much you can do.

Stop leak makes it almost impossible to reliably repair the tire if it were repairable at all. All it will do is give you a few more miles of driving.
In the mix of advice about tire repair ,there is much said about Stop Leak. I use stop leak frequently wheelbarrows , hand trucks.SLIME works good as repair on a lawn tractor but I will not use canned stop leak ,SLIME on a run flat tire.
With the tire sensors , the driver in now in the danger zone.
I enjoy the stories from Canada where MB GLK 250BT have a space for the special Mercedes Benz tire sealant & the air compressor. My USA sourced GLK 250 BT has an empty space for both the sealant & the air compressor , my service manuals talk about these items in other than USA Vehicles.
Canadian still do not have room for a full spare & may carry a 17 inch compact spare.The tires are not run flat MOE and a better selection of the best tires for winter(severe weather) are needed. The story of changing tire sets between seasons in Colorado is necessary because Dunlop Grandtrek MOE do not have the necessary traction. All seasons tire is three seasons tire.
Still with all the stories read, stop leak still is "SAID by SOME" the only a quick fix for a tread located puncture.. ,a side wall puncture is a no fix...need a tow or a new tire if it can even to brought to the vehicle by road service.A credit card comes in handy or Cash on Delivery..there might be CLUB like REACT or an local with a kind heart that will help you out....maybe...MOTORING in my MERCEDES is a Adventure.

Last edited by HONDO250; 04-04-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: wording,meaning for clarity
Old 01-03-2018, 10:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 SL450
I thought I might bump this thread up, since it's now 2018.

We are at 56K miles and on our 2nd set of Dunlop Grandtrek OEM run-flats for our GLK250. We have had nothing but good results, but in preparation for our third set of tires I'm wondering what other GLK250B owners have done. The two options I've read about are changing the diameter slightly (to 245 tires), which sets the speedometer off about 2%, or adding a slime product to non-run-flats, which endangers the TPMS I fear. I guess a third option is to buy 5 non-run-flats and keep one at home or (on long trips) in the rear cargo area, which would considerably diminish its capacity.

Does Dunlop still have a monopoly on the run-flats in our size? Are there any other options I've not considered?
Old 01-03-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by MarylandGLK250B
I thought I might bump this thread up, since it's now 2018.

We are at 56K miles and on our 2nd set of Dunlop Grandtrek OEM run-flats for our GLK250. We have had nothing but good results, but in preparation for our third set of tires I'm wondering what other GLK250B owners have done. The two options I've read about are changing the diameter slightly (to 245 tires), which sets the speedometer off about 2%, or adding a slime product to non-run-flats, which endangers the TPMS I fear. I guess a third option is to buy 5 non-run-flats and keep one at home or (on long trips) in the rear cargo area, which would considerably diminish its capacity.

Does Dunlop still have a monopoly on the run-flats in our size? Are there any other options I've not considered?
You are at 56k miles and preparing for a third set of tires? How is this a good result for tires that cost at or over $300 each? That's about $1500 every 28k miles for tires and installation.

I just put a set of Michellin Premier LTX on my 350 at the dealership for less than a grand and they have a 65k mile warranty. (I did have a 15% off coupon.)

Ask yourself how many flats you have had in the last decade and if you really need run flats. Could you get by with a 12v tire pump and a bottle of sealant that you may never need?

Last edited by formerjeepguy; 01-03-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: a word
Old 01-03-2018, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
You are at 56k miles and preparing for a third set of tires? How is this a good result for tires that cost at or over $300 each? That's about $1500 every 28k miles for tires and installation.

I
Wondered the same here. My experiences re the run flat versus the regulars is higher up in this thread. I'm at 43K miles and have between 6mm and 8mm depth on the original Continentals. Expect I'll be near 60K miles before I'll be replacing. Still on original brake pads and rotors too!
Old 01-18-2018, 11:51 AM

GLK250 2014
Our GLK250 is just over 4 years old. 42k km (26k miles). We have original Conti all season tires that came standard on Canadian 250s. (No runflats in Canada. We were supplied with a compressor and a bottle of sealant. No spare.) Lots of tread still on Contis.

We bought a Vredestein compact spare (Used, likely off wrecked 350) On long trips with just two of us, it tucks in behind the driver's seat. Otherwise it is in cargo area or left in garage when we are in easy range of quick MB or CAA service. Never used and a bit of a pain to carry around.

When our tires need replacing, hoping to install all-weather (not all-season) tires that are classified as snow tires and needed in some provinces in Canada.
https://www.consumerreports.org/wint...ar-year-round/